Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How to be a jackass

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

How to be a jackass

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 09:58 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To be fair, a good online store will help you out as much as they can. Chain Reaction offered to pay for return shipping when I accidentally ordered two sets of pedals when I only meant to order one, even when I was honest that it was my mistake (& that was shipping from GA, USA to the UK!). I was so impressed with the quality of their service that I decided to hold onto the pedals & gave them to my stepdad for Christmas--I didn't want to abuse good customer service.

But if I needed help installing/troubleshooting a functional item, I'd be SOL. In comes the trusty LBS.
Old 04-23-12, 02:08 AM
mroll

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Norco Tactic 3, 199x GT Avalanche, Trek single track single speed beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Alas...

Competition is an interesting thing, and it's tricky when you have online vendors 'competing' with bike shops. That said, it's always nice to see a bike shop with a strong online presence.

Online stores can have some incredible deals for parts. But I usually buy some things at the bike shop such as tools & consumables (lubricant and degreaser), tubes, tires, chain. Anything I have to try on, I'm likely to buy at a bike store.

I think it's incorrect to suggest buying from the LBS is the ONLY 'right' option. Price is important for most customers- that's almost a truism. Then again, locally available support & advice and that sense of community are also important to some customers. If you have a healthy budget for biking, then by all means support a local business.

Also, I'd like to observe that the original post is hilarious and very true.

As far as I am concerned, this applies for any local business (bookshops, bakeries, local produce) likely to be undercut by online or big box competitors. Do what you can to support them without breaking the bank

Last edited by mroll; 04-23-12 at 02:10 AM. Reason: ...and another thing
Old 04-28-12, 11:50 PM
dirtclod

Bikes: Haro beasley, Stumpy26"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some tires at the shop, or get them on line, then take my daughter to breakfast and the movies. Sometimes it's a no brainer. But a good shop is rare, and if you have one then you know they are a goldmine. I have one good shop, and treat it like a customer in line at the soup Nazi on seinfeld.
Old 05-02-12, 07:01 PM
Mexican Street Dog

Bikes: 1936 Raleigh Golden Arrow; Kona Honzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll tell you what, I don't care if your shop is right next door and you've got college loans etc. etc. etc. If you're a nasty, snobby, snotty little know it all ******bag you're not going to get my money.

I shop at a one man shop on my commute, I get about half my stuff from him and half online. I pay him to do the work that I can't do and when I'm working on someone else's bike I get the parts there.

I'm a meatcutter at the local store, I know how some customers can be rotten sh*ts. I also know that I have to treat them well anyway, if they can get better service at a store in another town I've got no one to blame but myself. The big box store is the indy local groceries "online", some of my co-workers shop at the big box place, I don't get it.

So really, you do have to fight for your business, that's the way it is. Suck it up and make the sh*theads come back because you're THE BEST!!!
Old 05-02-12, 07:24 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bdswest
I came here looking for mt. bike information. How can anyone pass up a thread titled "How to be a jackass"? I should have passed it up because the OP was lacking BG panties regarding rude customers. I have a nice road bike purchased locally from a shop I can appreciate. Good prices, great service and competent staff abound there. Throw in a flame about the post and as I said it's not as funny as the Road forum. But I should have said Generation Y, not X.
i work at a specialized dealership and the first thing in my head was "body geometry panties? specialized makes those? i'll have to get a pair for my girlfriend!" then i realized he meant big girl. my girlfriend is not a big girl. she would be verrrrrrry upset if i got her big girl panties. : /
Old 05-06-12, 02:29 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...stomer-service
Old 05-06-12, 02:54 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^That one was fun. Zeph always disproves of my senseless antics though.
Old 05-06-12, 02:59 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by samburger
The one directly above my last post (getting defensive & victimizing himself about the OP while simultaneously saying he doesn't do anything Pablo was complaining about, & then throwing in a few behaviors that no one has even complained about as if he's some sort of saint for tolerating them).

Look what you made me do. You made me poke holes in his rant. Well at least now it's been done.
His "rant" is completely true in my book. If I can get something for half price somwhere else, guess what? I'll probably buy it somewhere else. I suppose that makes me a jackass, greedy bastard. If I cared what other people thought, I'd probably have ~ half as much stuff.
Old 05-06-12, 05:08 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
True & relevant are not always the same.
Old 05-06-12, 05:36 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm and old guy and most shops I go into they ignore me. I can dawdle around for an hour in some places and touch everything. However, bike shops seem to treat me with respect. When I tell them I'm a commuter they try to help me a lot. Like with tires and tubes and consumables.
Old 05-06-12, 06:44 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samburger
^That one was fun. Zeph always disproves of my senseless antics though.
Old 05-06-12, 07:00 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ I would've gone with "responsible moderator", but I guess there's not a huge difference
Old 05-06-13, 09:37 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just saw this thread and read about how people try stuff on and then go elsewhere and buy, plus ask a lot of questions about bikes, then not buy anything.

I prefer to do the majority of business with my LBS. They've always done good work with fixing my bikes and spent a lot of time with me when I've tested them. They've also answered a lot of questions I've had. There have been issues where I've bought elsewhere. They sell Specialized, Cannondale, and Fuji, but if I find I like a Giant the best, I'm forced to go elsewhere, time spent with helping me or otherwise. I'm not going to spend a ton of money on a bike just for the sake of being a nice guy, but I will put forth the effort to find a very comparable product to what I like so I can give them my business. Just three months ago I went into the shop with the specs of a Scott Scale and told the owner, "I need you to find me something comparable to this in terms of geometry and components, I'd really like to give you the sale." He found both, my wife and I bicycles that were close to those specs, spent some time making additional adjustments prior to our test rides, and wound up closing the deal on two bikes.

For some items I shop at the big box retailers (Performance Bicycles, REI) because sometimes they either have better selections, better prices, or both. I can usually find a better price on clothing elsewhere than the LBS.
Old 05-06-13, 10:58 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've bought stuff from like 5+ different stores just to "SYLBS" but ultimately i buy online, they either don't have what i'm looking for/attitude/put political statements around their shop I don't agree with.

But LOL @ using the bathroom, go to a park/gas station or at least buy something cheap if you're gonna do that man!
Old 05-06-13, 02:04 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 192 Posts
I'm all about supporting my LBS, there are 3 of them close to my house that I love. I've bought things from each of them, equipment, etc, and my wife's bike got tuned up, new tires and a fly wheel installed.
But the majority of a lot of the other stuff (jersey's, tape, cage, trunk bag & rack) was all bought from nashbar or amazon. Sorry, I'm not paying $99 for a trunk bag at the LBS when I can get it from Amazon Prime 2-day free shipping for $65. That $35 I just saved just paid for my tail light - also from Amazon for $10 cheaper - which just paid for my handlebar tape from Nashbar, and so on.
I will definitely always go to my LBS for help, tune ups, parts, and things like tubes, or tools. But for a lot of the peripherals, sorry, we're a one income family and we need to save money wherever we can.
(It's no different that buying all my DVDs from Amazon, instead of from Best Buy.)
Old 05-06-13, 02:56 PM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I'm all about supporting my LBS, there are 3 of them close to my house that I love. I've bought things from each of them, equipment, etc, and my wife's bike got tuned up, new tires and a fly wheel installed.
But the majority of a lot of the other stuff (jersey's, tape, cage, trunk bag & rack) was all bought from nashbar or amazon. Sorry, I'm not paying $99 for a trunk bag at the LBS when I can get it from Amazon Prime 2-day free shipping for $65. That $35 I just saved just paid for my tail light - also from Amazon for $10 cheaper - which just paid for my handlebar tape from Nashbar, and so on.
I will definitely always go to my LBS for help, tune ups, parts, and things like tubes, or tools. But for a lot of the peripherals, sorry, we're a one income family and we need to save money wherever we can.
(It's no different that buying all my DVDs from Amazon, instead of from Best Buy.)
Well said.
Old 05-06-13, 03:01 PM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper EVO R; Salsa Spearfish 2; Cannondale Six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride this fence a bit myself. I buy bigger items on-line, but also spend a fair amount of money in the LBS.

My difference? I NEVER shy away from contributing to the beer fund. Sometimes, when I just ask a question, and not buying anything, I make a contribution. They always seem ready and willing to help me out, and I don't feel like I am using them.
Old 05-06-13, 03:11 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 278 Posts
With the growing popularity of online shopping...though it will be interesting to see how long it lasts if our government passes the online sales tax bill...brick and mortar shops have to be creative to get and keep customers.
I dislike rude customers and rudeness gets my standard respect unlike the extra help and advice I give not rude customers.
We not longer do "quick repairs/adjustments" for free as we once did except for our regular customers that actually buy stuff at the shop. We will not bump bikes in line to satisfy someone that comes in with an online purchased part and "needs it installed today". We put our regular customers first.

But I've also been treated rudely in mom and pop shops and never hesitate to give it to them both barrels and let them know rudeness is repaid with money spent at their competitors shops or online. If you want my money and business treat me with respect.
Old 05-06-13, 03:43 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Uh...are you comparing a locally-owned mom-and-pop bike shop with a nationwide corporation? Best Buy vs. REI or Performance would be a more accurate comparison. Plus no one said that there's anything wrong with saving money online...the problem comes when you waste the local shop's time and then buy online, or you try to rip the shop off. When you pay in the shop, you pay not only for the item itself but for the customer service too...and even if all you did was walk in and buy a tube, I'm assuming at one point you probably asked for the shop's expertise for some reason or another. You may also be paying for store-run bike rides, store-offered clinics/classes, a store farm team, volunteers at races or store-sponsored races...or maybe just a place to stand around and shoot the **** with other people who like bikes. Which Pablo would have clarified for you if he were still here...left the forums a while ago though, too bad.
Old 05-06-13, 07:41 PM
Wooden Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
Uh...are you comparing a locally-owned mom-and-pop bike shop with a nationwide corporation? Best Buy vs. REI or Performance would be a more accurate comparison. Plus no one said that there's anything wrong with saving money online...the problem comes when you waste the local shop's time and then buy online, or you try to rip the shop off. When you pay in the shop, you pay not only for the item itself but for the customer service too...and even if all you did was walk in and buy a tube, I'm assuming at one point you probably asked for the shop's expertise for some reason or another. You may also be paying for store-run bike rides, store-offered clinics/classes, a store farm team, volunteers at races or store-sponsored races...or maybe just a place to stand around and shoot the **** with other people who like bikes. Which Pablo would have clarified for you if he were still here...left the forums a while ago though, too bad.
"Shopping" at the LBS and then buying elsewhere is basically called "showrooming." I prefer not to do stuff like that, but I will do it at a big box store. I really don't have many cares when it comes to box stores.

I'm on a first-name basis with the owners of the LBS. I'm on a first-name basis with them and they're just really good people. When I go in there, I wind up in there for at least 30-40 minutes and most of the time spent in there is just BSing with the owner or some of the employees. It's just a more personal experience, which I like.
Old 05-06-13, 08:08 PM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I love my LBSes. Not only are they fun to shop in, but you can hang out and shoot the **** as well. What loser wants to hang out with people on the internet?

Aw fffffff-
Old 05-06-13, 08:24 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I always ask for a price match on parts from a LBS. I don't ask for ridiculous online sale price, just match the regular prices. I add the ~$10 for shipping and pay the tax. I do all of my own research and wrenching, so all they need to do is input it into their regular order, it takes 5 minutes. I'll tell them if they can't do it, that's fine, I'll get it online. The way I see it, I'm giving them an opportunity to make a couple of bucks for minimal effort. If they don't want to take the money, I'll give it to the shop that will.
Old 05-08-13, 10:14 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Screw bike shops. I but my own stuff and do my own work. Bike shops are lame.
Old 05-13-13, 06:54 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bdswest
No. I just get tired of every person born before 1960 complaining about technology. "Well Goooooolleee Andy I was just down at the fillin' station with ****er playin' on the two-way radio." People shop on the internet. It's easy, convenient, and many times cheaper. Time for the old B&M stores to tighten it up or go the way of Borders Books and soon to be Barnes & Noble.
Originally Posted by scyclops
So now we observe the subject (which we will refer to as bdswest) in a desperate attempt to justify his maniacal ravings, indeed in an effort to convince himself that he is an emotionally healthy, well adjusted individual. However, with heartbreaking predictability, he accomplishes quite the opposite, only managing to reveal the true extent of his psychosis.

This type of individual is pathologically incapable of heeding the first lesson of the proverbial man trapped in a hole, unable to climb out:

Stop digging.
scyclops I think you nailed it, but I'm sure glad that I made it under (over?) the hard and fast, well-established 1960 mark (1961 for me)!
Old 05-15-13, 04:56 AM
dreamer0891

Bikes: A FUJI!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been in a bike shop yet. I'll try my hardest to be a jackass though... Does looking mistyceyed, saying I love every bike, and smiling way too much count?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.