Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mavic 801/851 Rear Derailleur Washer...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 08:46 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Does anyone know if these little freaking pains in the butt are being made nowadays?
Old 02-27-13, 09:44 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
let me channel PatentCAD from the road forum and reply to my own thread. I'm interested because I have been in negotiation with a fab shop to have some of the pivot bolt washers duplicated. I don't want to spend an appreciable amount (at least to me) to build something that is readily available elsewhere...

Does anyone here know of a source for this little washer? Does anyone need one of these washers?
Old 02-27-13, 10:51 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
There are some people out there that need that tabbed washer. Thing is, not every one of them is looking for it at the same time, so a mass solution to fabricate some never gets off the ground.
The part is so small and simple looking but not exactly that easy or cheap to make, so somene eventually has to stick their necks out with their own money and time to make and show the product. plus, in the end you have to consider how much someone will really pay for the thing....5, 10, 15 bucks??
I guess I can't blame anyone for being pissed off with that part.... That's why I always made sure the washer was always included when I bought the 4 sets of 851 derailleurs in the past three years.

Chombi
Old 02-28-13, 08:02 AM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There are a lot of good derailleurs that aren't getting used...I'm talking to the fab shop today. And yeah, 10$ is the working retail price right now.
Old 02-28-13, 06:01 PM
pcdmiele

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This tread is worthless without pics. I have full access to a cnc machine and grind shop with EDM capability. the part may not be soo hard to make given the correct tools. please post a pic.

Royal
Old 02-28-13, 06:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
No, Mavic capitulated the battle, and gave the field to their competitors, many years ago.

They went back to just making rims, and now have re expanded a bit,

but not back to any more drive train bits.

have an 801 with a long cage, on a bike with a triple crank.

Taking donations of good digital cameras , .. and rent for a bigger place to show off in pictures.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-28-13 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-28-13, 06:18 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 879 Posts
I have one of the Erector Set Mavic derailers with the washer missing.

The needed washer has several tabs bending in two directions iir.

Last edited by dddd; 03-01-13 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 06:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Saw one on the auction site.. to be useful; .. I have a picture, copied, of a diagram : ..

part #801 034. is what you need ..
Old 02-28-13, 06:29 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Originally Posted by fietsbob
No, Mavic capitulated the battle, and gave the field to their competitors, many years ago.

They went back to just making rims, and now have re expanded a bit,

but not back to any more drive train bits.

have an 801 with a long cage, on a bike with a triple crank.

Taking donations of good digital cameras , .. and rent for a bigger place to show off in pictures.
To think that they were one of the first (if not the first) to issue a working (some racers said Just stay away from radio/microwave towers) electric racing RD to the masses with their Mektronic system....and they just let it all go after that.....
Old 03-01-13, 12:24 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked 1,126 Times in 833 Posts
Originally Posted by pcdmiele
This tread is worthless without pics. I have full access to a cnc machine and grind shop with EDM capability. the part may not be soo hard to make given the correct tools. please post a pic.

Royal
C'mon guys! Royal offers to at least look at the project and nobody gives him a toss...I don't even want (or need) one of these, but I can't believe anybody who does won't pony up with at least some specs and dimensions.
It's the 801043 in this exploded diagram, right?
Royal can find this at velobase in the mavic catalog scan from 1984-85...he's going to need measurements and thickness from an existing sample. Might not turn out to be something for a CNC mill, but here's how you find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
main.jpg (94.5 KB, 211 views)
Old 03-01-13, 12:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

It's the 801043 in this exploded diagram, right?
Other than dislexic reversal, that repeats what I said,
I just had a space in the middle (company did that, I copied) ie # 034 for the 801.

it's stamped out of stainless steel sheet. and the 3 tabs flanged over. (bent]

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-01-13 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-01-13, 10:28 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

I gets a little...um, exasperated when I drinks...sorry for the rantiness

I also recall that this topic came up a year or 2 ago, and it was also determined then (maybe even by Royal, I can't recall) that it was sort of overkill to use a CNC machine to fabricate something like this that was originally stamped.
I guess if you were using company time and tools to make one for just yourself (or a friend) it would be a perfectly good use of time and resources.
Old 03-01-13, 10:53 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
You would need a big chunk of steel to make this with a CNC machine. I think if you could lazer cut it out of a sheet of the right thickness you could then just bend the tabs in a vice. Of course it might not look real pro, but it would work.
Old 03-01-13, 11:21 AM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Like I said above, we are talking. If we can get to a price and delivery schedule members of the forum will get first dibs, on the first batch.
Old 03-01-13, 12:20 PM
Chombi

Sorry, I could maybe measure up the washers on the 851 RDs in my stash, but they are kinda buried deep in storage right now. But I think that the best way to get the information to a fabricator is to actually loan them one of the actual washers so they can be the one to measure it (more accurately, I suspect) and figure out what fabrication methods to use to make them.
Maybe a forum member with a spare washer who might live close by can drop off and loan out the thing to who ever will be taking on the project to make multiple copies for people that needs them and wants to buy them....just make sure the "master" is not lost in the process.....as everyone of those washers counts as I think they are pretty much unobtainium as a spare part from Mavic.

Chombi
Old 03-01-13, 05:17 PM
pcdmiele

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks like it would be pretty simple to make these. I would find a piece of sheet metal the correct thickness and then cut it out with an EDM wire machine. once cut out it would be easy to make a jig to clamp the part and bend the tabs. I might even be able to make some titanium ones depending on thickness. I have alot of spare Ti lying around. also as Chombi said, it would be best to have the actual part on hand. even better would be to have the part(s) it mates with too. of course, this would be a no charge freebe type service for just a few parts. I would make thenm in my spare time and the turn around might be a few weeks. (note, I have no personal interest here, I do not own any Mavic parts (not even wheels) just offering my skills to keet some old parts from becoming useless)

If you wanted high volume I would look for local laser cutting job shop. they could probaly cut a 100 of these for about $100(min job rate) then you could bend them up yourself. with out too much effort.

Royal
Old 03-01-13, 05:30 PM
Chombi

Originally Posted by pcdmiele
Looks like it would be pretty simple to make these. I would find a piece of sheet metal the correct thickness and then cut it out with an EDM wire machine. once cut out it would be easy to make a jig to clamp the part and bend the tabs. I might even be able to make some titanium ones depending on thickness. I have alot of spare Ti lying around. also as Chombi said, it would be best to have the actual part on hand. even better would be to have the part(s) it mates with too. of course, this would be a no charge freebe type service for just a few parts. I would make thenm in my spare time and the turn around might be a few weeks. (note, I have no personal interest here, I do not own any Mavic parts (not even wheels) just offering my skills to keet some old parts from becoming useless)

If you wanted high volume I would look for local laser cutting job shop. they could probaly cut a 100 of these for about $100(min job rate) then you could bend them up yourself. with out too much effort.

Royal
Oooh!, Ti! I can really dig that. I think the pivot bolts on the 851 could be Ti, unless it's just aluminum, anodized to kinda look like it. if it is Ti, a Ti washer is definitely appropriate for the derailleur!

Chombi
Old 03-01-13, 11:45 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Gentlemen...start your engines...:0)
Old 05-09-13, 11:46 AM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, that took a while, but I now have a stack of MAVIC 801/851 rear derailleur angle-fixing washers for sale. I did the original design spec and a local engineering company did the CAD design and then a gazillion-dollar laser table cut a bunch of pieces from a sheet of 303 stainless. Next, a gazillion-dollar multi-angle bending machine bent the tabs up and down, and the washers were ready to go. I would have taken some pictures of the process but the owners were a little particular about cameras...

The manufacturing costs were higher than I anticipated, but the washers are listed on eBay (251268707327), and I have just about sold out of the first batch. The washers work great, though...see the recent feedback score.

Because of Paypal, Ebay, and shipping costs they are priced at $14 in the ad. I will offer you guys the same part at $11 (still have to pay the poke back, and still have to pay Paypal and shipping).

You can send me a PM here or direct email (lwhite57@msn.com). Group buys are welcome, too, because I don't have to pay to ship each and every one. I will pass the savings back to the buyer, depending on how many are ordered at a time

Attached Images
DSCF1262.jpg (81.9 KB, 338 views)
DSCF1263.jpg (84.3 KB, 332 views)
DSCF1264.jpg (83.3 KB, 333 views)
Old 05-09-13, 11:55 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Brilliant!
Bravo! Bravissimo!
I sure love to see results like this, the part looks great, the price seems very reasonable (especially considering the SOL alternatives!) and it seems to have been done locally!
Hats off to you, luker!
I wish I had this RD just so I could justify buying one, but the only Mavic RD I own is the late slant-parallelogram-ish model...

Are you ready for your next assignment?

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-09-13 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 12:26 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Brilliant!
Bravo! Bravissimo!
I sure love to see results like this, the part looks great, the price seems very reasonable (especially considering the SOL alternatives!) and it seems to have been done locally!
Hats off to you, luker!
I wish I had this RD just so I could justify buying one, but the only Mavic RD I own is the late slant-parallelogram-ish model...

Are you ready for your next assignment?
um, sure! before I can spend any real money I have to recoup this investment, but, um, sure! What are you missing?
Old 05-09-13, 01:04 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Wow! Very cool! I don't need one, but neat that someone on the forums can get something like this fabbed so well.
Old 05-09-13, 06:40 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by luker
um, sure! before I can spend any real money I have to recoup this investment, but, um, sure! What are you missing?
I'm just (half) joking...but this made me think of the other tiny bit that nobody can find for love nor money:
the Campagnolo 7116067!
Might be an even bigger PITA and even lower payback...harder to fabricate, too, I reckon.
Attached Images
Camp_86_RDpart.jpg (12.3 KB, 179 views)
Old 05-09-13, 06:45 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ya know, I have looked at that. I have an Athena that uses the same gizmo. It looks cast to me (although mine is gone, and I'm working from memory...). I haven't ever actually used a derailleur with that part; is it used to set the angle of the derailleur?
Old 05-09-13, 06:46 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
ya know, I have looked at that. I have an Athena that uses the same gizmo. It looks cast to me (although mine is gone, and I'm working from memory...). I haven't ever actually used a derailleur with that part; is it used to set the angle of the derailleur?
or maybe the athena just uses the same approach with a different actual part...but it looks like that part would fit into the hole in the athena...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.