Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling/Exercise Reports - June 8/9/10

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 09:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts

It's Australia's turn for a long weekend! Happy Queen's Birthday long weekend.

Whether you've got a long weekend or not, tell us about your cycling adventures ... long rides, short rides, indoor rides, outdoor rides. What about other activities ... hiking in the mountains, skiing, swimming ...

Friday - we got out for a decent walk. It's winter here now and yesterday was quite chilly and rainy so not exactly great cycling weather.

Saturday - we were going to go for a ride, but might change that to a bit of a walk. It's 5°C out there at the middle of the day, and very foggy. Brrrrr!!

Maybe tomorrow will be a bit nicer.
Old 06-07-13, 09:42 PM
stilltooslow

Bikes: Guru Evolo R, Colnago Pista, Look AL 464P SS, various frankenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fri: Rain!! I know I'm a 'lightweight' for it, but I don't do rain rides. Dangerous enough when dry.
Sat: 34 mi. fixie ride with a fair share of rolling hills.
Sun: 46 mi. hilly road ride, all of course weather permitting.
Old 06-07-13, 10:33 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Friday:8hrs shift at bike shop with 10 miles RT commute
Saturday: 7.5hrs shift at bike shop with 10 miles RT commute
Sunday:7.5hrs shift at bike shop with 10 miles RT commute
Old 06-08-13, 10:13 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eastern Pa.- It rained Friday, today, cloudy and rain threatening but dry so did 25 miles, tomorrow, nice will do 23.
Old 06-08-13, 10:19 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Wonderful weather here in N. Texas today. Started out cool, nearly not a breath if wind either - for the 2nd week in June that's near unheard of. A busy week both on and off the bike made me skip the big rally ride up in McKinney this morning (Collin Classic), instead opted to leave from the house and intercept one of the club rides as it rode through a few miles from my house. Rode with them for much of their remaining ride before peeling off and heading back towards home. A nice breeze had picked up by then, but thankfully had that to my back most of the 12mi home solo. 40mi total, 16.6mph average, still not where I was this time last year but getting stronger after being off the bike all of last fall and much of the winter.
Old 06-08-13, 10:22 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I rode to the beach today.

I carry flip flops in my back pocket.

I drink coconut juice. Look at that pretty WSD bike.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-08-13, 05:59 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,684 Times in 2,028 Posts
New FTP set at 274w. Now off for a run.
Old 06-08-13, 07:43 PM
Alasdair
The cake is a lie!

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been off the bike for almost 2 years due to work schedule changes and general laziness, allowing my clyde self to bulk up in a not good way. So, I've been dieting (10lbs down so far and another 50 to go) and last week I started on the trainer at night - 30-45 min a night. Today, I got back out on the road and got in just over 10 miles at near 14mph average. I was happy with that. Riding up on our friends' house in our neighborhood as it is on fire was not good and shortened my ride as I was off to the side waiting on the emergency vehicles and personnel to do their thing. No one hurt, though.
Old 06-08-13, 07:45 PM
Buzzatronic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friday: Rest day
Saturday: Century in 5 hours, 55 min
Sunday: Epic rest day
Old 06-08-13, 10:15 PM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Friday: about 35 miles in 2 rides. First was a 20 mile ride after work. Second was a 15 mile "bike wander" with my wife (that's her name for a ride where we head out without a plan).
Saturday: 2 hours of mtbing plus another 1.5 hours of riding to and from the trail.
Sunday: long solo ride planned. Hoping the weather stays nice.
Old 06-08-13, 11:00 PM
evan938

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friday - rest day

Today - Tour de Cure. started off easy enough, about mile 13-14, we started getting broken up, so I kinda took off on my own ride hoping to catch one of the quicker groups at the first rest stop. about mile 16, i catch a guy who i had seen ahead of me for a while. he was on a Supersix Evo (the bike i REALLY wanted, but got a steal on a basic supersix), complimented him on his bike, BSed for a minute, he said it was his first century and he might not be able to keep up, but i told him if he wanted to grab a wheel we could pick up the pace a bit.

well, after about 5-6 miles of me pulling, the moto guide goes by us, stops a few hundred yards up at the cross street. he gives us a signal to turn left, i see left arrows on the road, i signal left, and the guy was off my rear wheel to my left...i slow slightly, moto says road is clear, start to take the left turn, and the guy apparently missed all 3 left turn signals (moto, road, me), and keeps on straight and took me out. i got up, got off the road, moto guy is grabbing a first aid kit, and thinking i was wrong, i said "i thought you were signaling left", to which he confirms "i was!".

skinned the outside of my right knee a bit, coin size, but its right on the same spot i just got done healing up from due to a crash in my first (and last) race ever about 6 weeks ago. ugh. my left hip got banged up, and a resulting sore groin. im still not sure how i skinned the outside of my right knee and banged my left hip, i thought i just got thrown down on one side. idk.

guy stopped, gives the 10x "im so sorry" etc. i was pissed, but what are you gonna do, right? bike was ok aside from my pedals getting marred up a bit, everything is still working.

got to the next stop about 3-4 miles later, i remember the guy rolling in, asks again how im feeling, etc, and must've rolled out real quick, because i wasn't there very long and he was already gone. ended up getting on with another local group, with one guy who i've ridden with a couple times...at least a group i know how they ride.

so, now my hip is SUPER sore, hurts to walk and definitely climb stairs. and of course, the crash is during the fairly flat portion of the ride. the snakk hills started about mile 40 and the slightly bigger ones after lunch at mile 55ish

but, we got 102 miles in 5:29:xx, it was also my biggest day of climbing (5400'), and we still managed an 18.7 average, which im thrilled with for that much elevation. also, my avg HR was 150, which last year, a ride like this with similar elevation/speed i'd probably be pushing high 160s/low 170s.

https://app.strava.com/activities/59072474

Tomorrow - cuddling up with an ice pack and not doing ****. lol

Last edited by evan938; 06-09-13 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 12:12 AM
MarkThailand

Bikes: Lynskey Helix OS and R330, Parlee Z1, Anderson 953 Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really need to get into shape and ride regularly. Since my April US skiing trip, I have not been able to maintain a consistent 200 km weekend ride regimen. I got to ride only 4 days in May and could not ride for the first weekend in June because I had to go to my cousin's wedding in Shanghai. And, as a result, I have gotten out of shape.

Saturday - 86 km solo ride in 3 hrs at my usual Souvarnabhumi airport loop. There was slight wind but the heat was impressive - 30 C at 7 am and rising to 39 C at 10 am with about 60 % humidity. At least the evaporative cooling still worked when I was moving on the bike. My Garmin said my average heart rate was 161 bpm and that 2200 calories were burned. I also drank 4 L of drink mix during the ride and had a half a PB&J sandwich.

Sunday - another 86 km solo ride because my brother was a no show. The weather was about the same as yesterday, hot at 37 C since 9 am. Something about riding when the air temperature is hotter than your body temperature. I think the heat got to me yesterday so I decided to ride at slower pace and completed the ride in 3 hr 30 min. It was 40 C when I ended my ride. My Garmin said that my average heart rate was 150 and 1900 calories were burned. I made sure to drink more, 5 L, and felt better. It is quite interesting that, as soon as I stop ridding, I immediately start getting soaked with sweat. While riding, I guess all of this sweat evaporates and causes the heaps of salt crystals on my bike. I guess there will be a humidity level when the sweat evaporative cooling stops working - that is when I will stop riding.

Mark
Old 06-09-13, 05:10 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday ... yesterday was a chilly, foggy day and so we decided to leave town and do some sightseeing in the area around.

We visited the Rainforest Gallery, and went for a walk there ...
https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/pa...ry-donna-buang

Then we drove up to the summit of Mt Donna Buang, and hiked up the tower ...
https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/pa...a-buang-summit

Next up was the little tourist town of Warburton, for cheesecake.

And on the way home, we saw several lyrebirds.
https://www.birdsinbackyards.net/spec...ovaehollandiae

This area is really pretty and has lots to see ... and one thing I like is that winters are very, very green. Once you get out of the fog.
Old 06-09-13, 05:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday ... our town was shrouded in cold, dark fog.

So we decided to leave town again, but this time with our bicycles. We cycled part of the rail trail to where it crosses Lake Eildon ... and the sun came out, and fog cleared from that area. Our ride was 37.12 km and quite lovely.

When we returned, we drove into a peasoup fog over our town ... I don't think it had lifted at all during the day.
Old 06-09-13, 03:42 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went with a friend to watch her do a Olympic triathlon, so I only had just one day of riding this weekend - Sunday...52.7 miles of super flat Maryland Eastern Shore @ 19.0 mph...empty roads....beautiful Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge...I was happy to have forgotten the heart rate monitor...

Old 06-09-13, 06:24 PM
Dodgson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did about 45 miles today. It's my longest ride so far. I wasn't expecting it to be too tough, but about 25 of those miles were in a very hilly area and I don't have much experience with hills. I almost wish I had a compact crank, but I know it's way to early to think that. Hopefully I'll get better at climbing.

Edit: Well that was disappointing. I put the route into ridewithGPS and it was only ~2800ft of climbing in ~30 miles.

Last edited by Dodgson; 06-10-13 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 06:31 PM
dobrado

Bikes: Trek 2.1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday: 39.6 miles, 03:06:02
Today: 44.8 miles, 03:31:42

For a Strava challenge (Fi'Zik Tour Tune). 30 hours in 16 days. One of my friends said that 30 hours is tough...I said "only if you ride fast"!
Old 06-09-13, 08:33 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I did a 100k Saturday, a new perm called "Cherry Pie", as it comes down Cherry Pie Hill. Today, I rode out to White Rock Lake for 28 miles or so, managed to pass everyone I saw, too. Video of the ride back down Cherry Pie Hill is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOznc5aY3M
Old 06-09-13, 10:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Photos from yesterday's ride ...

Cycling across the rail trail bridge

Winter scenery

Something pretty in the forest

Last edited by Machka; 06-10-13 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-10-13, 06:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Holiday Monday - 25.91 km up a local road we haven't ridden in a long time. Got a bit of climbing in and lots of fun coming back.
Old 06-10-13, 08:24 AM
Jakedatc

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sun: went to do 55 or 60mi version of the club ride which ended up being a 95mi mini epic. Our club does a different ride every week that are arrowed with our symbol and there was a mistake and a turn wasn't arrowed.. 5700' climbing
Old 06-10-13, 08:57 AM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Bikes: have wheels...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Friday: 45km light spin
Saturday: 93km leg one of the MS tour, nice relaxing ride from Nisku to Camrose @ 2hr:44min...then drank beer in the beer gardens.
Sunday: 92km leg two of the MS tour, 10*C and a 25km headwind, Camrose to Nisku @ 3hr:33min...rode the first hour pretty slow with a friend. He isn't an avid rider so I spent that hour trying to teach him how to draft and spin as he was grinding a pretty big gear and about to die in the wind when I found him. Finished the day pretty burnt out...In hindsight, drinking two pitchers of draft in the beer gardens after Saturdays ride was not the best hydration strategy...meh, all for a good cause. Just about to head out for an easy spin session on the rain bike.

Last edited by CALE262; 06-10-13 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-10-13, 09:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I did a 5.9 friction climb on Saturday, then I rode my bike up a hill yesterday.
Old 06-10-13, 09:56 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
Went with a friend to watch her do a Olympic triathlon, so I only had just one day of riding this weekend - Sunday...52.7 miles of super flat Maryland Eastern Shore @ 19.0 mph...empty roads....beautiful Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge...I was happy to have forgotten the heart rate monitor...

The area south of Cambridge through and around Blackwater is some great riding ... as long as the winds stay calm. I much prefer that over the St. Michael's/Oxford/Easton loops that so many bike clubs like to schedule. Did you see any bald eagles?
Old 06-10-13, 10:02 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Bike MS Washington DC area.
Saturday: 98 miles, approx 4100 ft climbing, 16.7 mph avg. Lots of relaxing at rest stops. (Was supposed to be 100 miles but they had to do a last-minute reroute due to flooding.)
Sunday: 32 miles. 13.3 mph avg because I hung back with a friend who rode her first-every century on Saturday and still busted her butt through another 32 on Sunday.

Great weekend. Great people. Great charity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.