Focused1
Who said slow isn't fun..

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1, Lemond Buenos Aires, Santa Cruz Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Latigo vs. GMR?

As I was climbing Latigo Cyn today, it occurred to me that there is a chance of it being similar to GMR. I did fine on Latigo (no speed records for sure, but steady) and wondered if I'd have the same experience on GMR. We went to the intersection of Kanan, then did the descent on Kanan...windy!
Can these two climbs be compared, or are they totally different?
Old 07-11-13, 10:38 AM
Lesper4

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At first glance on strava Latigo is a little longer then GMR just over a mile and about a 1% flatter. I have never ridden Latigo so I am not sure what it would be like on the bike. I you considering the ascent or descent?
Old 07-11-13, 12:05 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
its been a while since I've go to Latigo. I say those Latigo hairpins are more sweeping and more consistent grade oppose to GMR where the lower half is steeper in sharper bends. Kinda stair steps up the mt as the grade levels off around 5-7% between turns. Once you put the Hill side to your right, GMR is bit more mellow and consistent grade.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 07-11-13, 01:31 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Strava segments

"Latigo cyn"
7.0 miles at 5.4% for 1,986 elevation difference, highest elevation at 2,055 feet.
(Ridden 8114 times by 2232 people) Climb Category 2

"GMR Base to Shed"
8.1 miles at 5.0% for 2,145 elevation difference, highest elevation at 3,421 feet
(Ridden 11,750 times by 3,083 people) Climb Category 1

So, even though GMR is not quite as steep, I'd call it a more difficult climb because of the extra mile and that is is a "hotter" climb, (inland temperatures vs. coastal temperatures). GMR is also at a little higher elevation, but really not high enough to affect someone's performance. Sure is a lot more popular. Is there much motorized vehicular traffic on Latigo? GMR is pretty lonely most of the time. It really doesn't go anywhere.
Old 07-11-13, 02:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8449 Post(s)
Liked 9,409 Times in 4,624 Posts
Latigo is a great climb but it is not cool in the summer. As soon as you are away from PCH it gets as hot as hell.
The traffic isn't bad, especially compared to Topanga or Malibu canyon. To me, it's a bit harder than the lower part of GMR and there's that false summit, too.
Old 07-11-13, 05:47 PM
peckma

Bikes: 2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Latigo gets my vote for the harder climb. Big John is right - after the first bit on Latigo there is no longer any cool ocean breeze. It seems to me that the 2nd half of Latigo after the middle flat portion is harder than GMR. GMR to me seems more of a consistent climb. Just be careful of the motorheads on Latigo - it doesn't get the traffic that Mulholland et al does, but it draws its share of motorized enthusiasts testing out their rides. Climbing either one, however, is an achievement.
Old 07-11-13, 10:09 PM
Focused1
Who said slow isn't fun..

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1, Lemond Buenos Aires, Santa Cruz Superlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, you convinced me...I'm pretty sure I can handle GMR. My Strava showed my Latigo climb as being 9.1 miles long (probably the fact that I went to Kanan) and about 2000' vert. Guess I'll cross that one off next!
Old 07-11-13, 11:13 PM
m2tiguy

Bikes: Lynskey, Helix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride both and for me. latigo is harder simply because I usually ride up from the south bay and have 30 miles in before starting the climb.( I have not been up it this year and my training and climbing have improved) that being said, I don't consider the base to the shed "all of the climb" - just the warm up for either GRR or my new favorite, down east fork to camp Williams and back up and over
Old 07-12-13, 07:04 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Focused1
Ok, you convinced me...I'm pretty sure I can handle GMR. My Strava showed my Latigo climb as being 9.1 miles long (probably the fact that I went to Kanan) and about 2000' vert. Guess I'll cross that one off next!
The climb from PCH to the first summit is 7 miles. You get the extra with that downhill and re-climb back to Kanan, just an added bonus after suffering for an hour.
Old 07-12-13, 09:40 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 2,112 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
... there's that false summit, too.
Yup. And I think the lower part of Latigo is steeper and has a crappier road surface than any part of GMR. After that lower part, Latigo is an easier climb, IMHO.

Both are wonderful climbs and descents, though. I would definitely recommend descending Latigo over Kanan.

Old 07-12-13, 10:32 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m2tiguy
I ride both and for me. latigo is harder simply because I usually ride up from the south bay and have 30 miles in before starting the climb.( I have not been up it this year and my training and climbing have improved) that being said, I don't consider the base to the shed "all of the climb" - just the warm up for either GRR or my new favorite, down east fork to camp Williams and back up and over
Can you PM me your route from South Bay area, I live close to you and would like to ride out that way sometime.
Old 07-12-13, 12:14 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Both are great climbs and neither one is that difficult. Ride them both lots and decide for yourself . . . for me, I really like them both. John and Vic, above, have lots of experience on both climbs and I agree with their comments.

Oh, and for sure the Shed is not the end of the GMR climb. From Glendora its only about 22 miles to Mt. Baldy Village and once you get there you have choices for food and drinks plus (if you like) the Ski Lift challenge. So yes, all good climbs, all good fun!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-12-13, 04:28 PM
m2tiguy

Bikes: Lynskey, Helix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
Can you PM me your route from South Bay area, I live close to you and would like to ride out that way sometime.
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/263876784 - this is my basic pier to pier rt. - just keep going north to latigo
Old 07-17-13, 03:38 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't have data on hand to post, but isn't Las Flores a tougher climb? I remember it being marked as a Category 1 climb on mapmyride with 6-7 grade. I remember it having some crazy pitches. Not as long, though.
Recommended!
Old 07-17-13, 04:45 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 2,112 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy
Don't have data on hand to post, but isn't Las Flores a tougher climb? I remember it being marked as a Category 1 climb on mapmyride with 6-7 grade. I remember it having some crazy pitches. Not as long, though.
Recommended!
Las Flores is most definitely steeper than Latigo. About twice as steep, as a matter of fact, and much more than 6-7 percent for most of it.

Old 07-18-13, 04:37 PM
big john

Originally Posted by sleepy
Recommended!
Las Flores has some 20% or a little steeper. Don't know why you'd want to go up that way more than once. Better to go up Fernwood.
Old 07-18-13, 10:33 PM
sleepy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Love that climb up Las Flores. So painfully good.
Is Fernwood off Old Topanga? Went that way, there's a side road that's super steep, and dumps you back down onto Fernwood. Like a mini Echo Park for a second.
I avoid PCH as much as possible. I come in from Ventura.
I'd like to go up Old Topanga into Fernwood, down La Tuna, up Las Flores, down Stunt and back up Piuma.
That would be super duper hard fun.
Old 07-19-13, 07:51 AM
big john

Fernwood starts just below the intersection of Old Topanga and Topanga, right at the fire station and a little store, and climbs all the way to the top of Stunt, with a little descending along the way.
Oh, it's Tuna, the road called La Tuna is in the east valley from Glenoaks up to La Crescenta.
Old 07-19-13, 11:29 AM
sleepy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, Tuna road. Crazy descent.

Las Flores is a nice, challenging climb. Great road, if you're into that sort of thing.