Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It's not about the bike. Wait a minute...yes, it is.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

It's not about the bike. Wait a minute...yes, it is.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 02:34 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
But all else being equal, the guy with the lighter bike and aero wheels will be faster.
Talking to a triathlete here, so no argument. "It's not about the bike" is intended to mean that you aren't going to go from 18mph to 20mph by getting Di2 and Zipps, not that two hypothetically equal riders won't see different times from different equipment. Big gains - really big gains - are fitness-based, not bike-based. That's all.

I mean, I'm like a kid on December 24th waiting for my Rails to come.
Old 07-17-13, 02:41 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Keep in mind 2 laps isn't really enough time to see much difference in aero. It took them a good chunk of the first lap just to get the bikes up to full speed. If you're trying to see an aero advantage you'd need more like 10 laps. They should have put a power meter in the hubs of both bikes. I'm guessing there's a 2x difference in Wattage
Old 07-17-13, 03:25 PM
mr_pedro

Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
and he wasn't even really trying.

He rode it in a position that people would typically ride a hybrid.

If he grabs the handlebars right at the stem, and does a deep tuck with bent elbows, I'm sure he could be faster.
Nah, I think this test was more about which of the 3 bikes had the longest gears. In the 1.5 minute race the pro could probably average >600W. That should be enough to spin out in the highest gears of these bikes on a flat surface, the rest doesn't matter then.
Old 07-17-13, 03:38 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_pedro
Nah, I think this test was more about which of the 3 bikes had the longest gears. In the 1.5 minute race the pro could probably average >600W. That should be enough to spin out in the highest gears of these bikes on a flat surface, the rest doesn't matter then.
He wasn't limited by the gearing on the hybrid. He averaged right at 25mph. Say the hybrid had 46/14 for a high gear, which would be pretty low for such a bike, 120rpm still gets you 31+ mph.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-17-13, 04:15 PM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and he wasn't even really trying.

He rode it in a position that people would typically ride a hybrid.

If he grabs the handlebars right at the stem, and does a deep tuck with bent elbows, I'm sure he could be faster.
Very easily. I used to do this on my Trek 7500FX, hands right on the sides of the stem, tucked all the way with chin on hands and rode through the police speed trap on the side of the road at 30 mph, flat road.
Old 07-17-13, 04:27 PM
cmc0108

Bikes: 2008 Trek 1.2 (Blah)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure my little sister could have put out more power than that guy.

Including startup time, he averaged about 21 miles per hour over the course of 900 meters.
Old 07-17-13, 04:38 PM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Keep in mind 2 laps isn't really enough time to see much difference in aero. It took them a good chunk of the first lap just to get the bikes up to full speed. If you're trying to see an aero advantage you'd need more like 10 laps. They should have put a power meter in the hubs of both bikes. I'm guessing there's a 2x difference in Wattage
Hell I hate it how power meters seem to be the answer to everything and have removed just about all the mystique from cycling.
Old 07-17-13, 05:29 PM
mr_pedro

Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
He wasn't limited by the gearing on the hybrid. He averaged right at 25mph. Say the hybrid had 46/14 for a high gear, which would be pretty low for such a bike, 120rpm still gets you 31+ mph.
120, isn't that a bit high for 2 laps, maybe his sustainable cadence is in a more normal range of 90~100 rpm. Giving a speed of 25 mph.
Old 07-17-13, 05:35 PM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_pedro
120, isn't that a bit high for 2 laps, maybe his sustainable cadence is in a more normal range of 90~100 rpm. Giving a speed of 25 mph.
Not at all. I can push that for that distance no problem, especially when getting aero.
Old 07-17-13, 06:01 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Rowan
Hell I hate it how power meters seem to be the answer to everything and have removed just about all the mystique from cycling.
Interesting. I love exactly that about them.
Old 07-17-13, 06:15 PM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Interesting. I love exactly that about them.
Yes, you would because you compete. You want every last watt to count.

There are still millions of riders out there who wouldn't have a clue what a power meter is, though, and couldn't care less -- that lack of knowledge doesn't impinge on their enjoyment.

So maybe all hope isn't lost.
Old 07-17-13, 06:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Rowan
Yes, you would because you compete. You want every last watt to count.

There are still millions of riders out there who wouldn't have a clue what a power meter is, though, and couldn't care less -- that lack of knowledge doesn't impinge on their enjoyment.

So maybe all hope isn't lost.
That's not the reason though... I really wish we'd produce the Grand Unified Theory while I'm alive, but I doubt we will. Or hell, just truly understand gravity.
Old 07-17-13, 06:25 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Here's a quote from the comment section after the Guardian video:

"But what amazes me still at tri events is 15 stone clydesdales with a michieman physique substantially augmented by beer and chippies avoirdupois but then having spent 4 megaquid on road eye candy saving 5 pounds of mass."

I have no idea what the hell he just said.

Old 07-17-13, 06:29 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
That's not the reason though... I really wish we'd produce the Grand Unified Theory while I'm alive, but I doubt we will. Or hell, just truly understand gravity.
Well, that's easy enough. Gravity is the result of the bending of spacetime. The tricky part is how it resulted from a random quantum fluctuation. I'll get back to you on that one.

Old 07-17-13, 06:32 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, it IS about the bike.... TYPE, as people mentioned above. Give that pro ANY road bike (even a $150 wal-mart one) and he'd beat any amateur in any bike, baring any mechanical malfunctions.

The ONLY thing that mattered on that professional bike was the bearings, position, and tires. The gearing didn't matter, the electronic shifting didn't matter, the aero didn't matter. Why? He most likely stayed in one gear once he got up to speed which was what, probably 5 or 6 gear changes? He was going in a circle so any wind was negated on the other side (plus he wasn't going fast enough).

I still, and will always argue that it's the rider, not the bike. Unless you are racing, money spent on bikes should go toward longevity and good build quality, not speed.

Saying it's the bike is almost as bad as saying that it's the runner's SHOES that make him fast, not the runner himself.

Besides, IF it was the bike, the Tour de France announcers would be talking MUCH more about the bikes and not nearly as much about the riders. (Think rally racing vs. Nascar)
Old 07-17-13, 06:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Dudelsack

"But what amazes me still at tri events is 15 stone clydesdales with a michieman physique substantially augmented by beer and chippies avoirdupois but then having spent 4 megaquid on road eye candy saving 5 pounds of mass."

My only quibble is that he should have said kiloquid, not megaquid.
Old 07-17-13, 06:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Well, that's easy enough. Gravity is the result of the bending of spacetime. The tricky part is how it resulted from a random quantum fluctuation. I'll get back to you on that one.
I'll be waiting here until you do.
Old 07-17-13, 07:22 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Liked 999 Times in 399 Posts

Loose translation: Very heavy fat guys, fueled by beer and fast food, turning up at a Tri on a ultra-expensive bike to save a minimal amount of weight.
Old 07-17-13, 07:42 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
9 world championship jerseys and 2 Tour Feminin.

Not too shabby. Hell I'd wear Lipstick if I could ride like that.
This needs to be said again. That woman can ride.

Old 07-18-13, 05:03 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
unless you are racing, or care about speed, money spent on bikes should go toward longevity and good build quality, not speed.
ftfy.
Old 07-18-13, 07:56 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My only quibble is that he should have said kiloquid, not megaquid.
Maybe he was being sarcastic, like saying someone spent $4M on a bike.
Old 07-18-13, 09:11 AM
Jobiensis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
He was going in a circle so any wind was negated on the other side (plus he wasn't going fast enough).
I don't disagree that the pro would curb stomp a reporter, but this part is wrong.
Old 07-18-13, 09:25 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
"That's a great photo - what kind of camera did you use?"
I usually get questions like that about pics taken with a crappy cellphone camera.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-18-13, 09:26 AM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imagine if this dude was using EPO.
Old 07-18-13, 10:00 AM
rousseau

Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts

Either you're in an alternate universe, or that's an obscure comment/reference that flew over my head, but I don't get it. What's not to understand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.