Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Would you put spoke lights on a road bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 10:01 PM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

..That will see commuting use, sometimes at night, that is. Or is it considered rather kitschy?

I know lots of road riders even detach stock reflectors from their road wheels (why is that btw, anyone knows?)

Thanks much for your opinions
Old 07-26-13, 10:05 PM
flippinsweet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I am riding when it is dark, I add spoke lights to my front wheel. It is better to be seen, than to be hit. ( no matter what 'road riders' think )
Old 07-26-13, 10:06 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I don't believe spoke lights are any more useful than reflectors. I used them for a while in the winter, but it wasn't long before they were so covered in grime that they weren't emitting any light anyway.

I keep the wheel reflectors off my bikes in the summer because... they look goofy! When I start riding in the dark again this fall, they will go back on.
Old 07-26-13, 10:15 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia
..That will see commuting use, sometimes at night, that is. Or is it considered rather kitschy?

I know lots of road riders even detach stock reflectors from their road wheels (why is that btw, anyone knows?)

Thanks much for your opinions
Even I, who cares nothing for fashion, will remove the reflectors. They're goofy and do little to improve your visibility - for rationalization purposes the aero drag and extra rotational weight (not that it truly makes much difference).
Old 07-26-13, 10:49 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know if I count as riding a road bike because I have a Surly CC and a Dolan track bike but when I ride at night I put on a spoke light along with my front and rear lights.

Apparently my city has the 5th worst drivers in the country so I'll do whatever I have to in order to be seen:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...-drivers-2012/

I had a car that was behind me pull up at a traffic light in Glenadale and tell me I was completely invisible on the road when I have a rear reflector and rear blinkies to go along with front reflector and light, spoke light, spoke reflectors, reflective sidewalls and a topbag/panniers with reflective piping.
Old 07-27-13, 10:39 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I got a set of those reflective stickers you put around each of your spokes as an impulse buy; I think they were these. Since I'm on the bike when I'm in the street, I have no idea what they look like in a car's headlights. I don't know if they count as dorky, but at least they weigh nothing, and are nearly invisible without a light shining on them. Can anyone attest to whether they're at all effective?
Old 07-27-13, 10:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,631 Times in 1,530 Posts
I get compliments on my spoke light from drivers, so I happen to think they are a very good idea. Kitschy? Sure, but if it enhances visibility, that's much more important. The annoying thing about them is the expensive batteries it eats. And yes, I know how to get them cheap, and I buy them cheap, but it's still annoying.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-27-13, 10:51 AM
PaulRivers

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The biggest reason I don't use spoke lights is because it seems like a major pain to always be dealing with charging/replacing batteries. I do have both a front light (dynamo on my cheaper commuter and battery powered on my more expensive road bike).
Old 07-27-13, 11:31 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 340 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia
If you have a bike with a rear wheel reflector, hang the bike by two bungee cords - one from the handlebars and one from the seat - so the bike weight is completely suspended by the bungees. Grab a pedal and crank on it until the rear wheel is spinning fast. No need to let go of the pedal - the bouncing bike will yank the pedal out of your hand.

Wheel reflectors waste tons of energy at higher speeds. If you ride a beach cruiser to work with big, heavy tires and average 9mph, don't worry about it. If you want to be as fast and stable on your road bike as humanly possible, ditch the reflectors.
Old 07-27-13, 11:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I was given one,.. valve cap flashing light , colors are red and blue, alternating ..

Like I was getting pulled over, for a traffic citation.
Old 07-28-13, 09:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,631 Times in 1,530 Posts
I have a pair of spoke lights that flash blue and red. They turn on when it is dark and they detect motion. I think I saw an oncoming car pull over to the side of the road, perhaps because the driver thought he saw a police car. So I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I got it directly from one of those Chinese web sites and now Amazon sells them. On the package, it says: ALARM LIGHT OF BICYCLE.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-28-13, 03:35 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If you have a bike with a rear wheel reflector, hang the bike by two bungee cords - one from the handlebars and one from the seat - so the bike weight is completely suspended by the bungees. Grab a pedal and crank on it until the rear wheel is spinning fast. No need to let go of the pedal - the bouncing bike will yank the pedal out of your hand.

Wheel reflectors waste tons of energy at higher speeds. If you ride a beach cruiser to work with big, heavy tires and average 9mph, don't worry about it. If you want to be as fast and stable on your road bike as humanly possible, ditch the reflectors.
Sounds like you didn't take the time to balance your wheels. I have a thin reflector that weighs a bit more than a valve stem. Since it's closer to the rim, it balances the valve stem perfectly, and the wheel is BETTER balanced with the reflector on it.
Old 07-28-13, 03:40 PM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,650 Times in 2,931 Posts
My night bike has reflective sidewalls.
(Schwalbe Marathon Supremes).
Continental also makes some tires with "reflex" sidewalls.
Old 07-28-13, 05:02 PM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Wheel reflectors waste tons of energy at higher speeds. If you want to be as fast and stable on your road bike as humanly possible, ditch the reflectors.
Is this somewhat true?

The reason I ask is I was planning on keeping the reflectors (well, actually add them, since I'm building the bike from scratch and the Mavic wheels didn't come with reflectors, but the LBS dealer told me had MANY to spare ), AND place four spokelits on each wheel (coincidentally, two red and two blue ones on each wheel, for a total of 8).

I had four red spokelits on my mtb (two per wheel), and got compliments from drivers on occasion.

Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 07-28-13 at 05:09 PM.