Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wiggle.com (USA) return shipping?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wiggle.com (USA) return shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 10:56 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read the reviews when available. Most are pretty accurate concerning true to size
Old 08-07-13, 11:03 AM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the record, yes I just want to know if it will cost me $5 vs. $25+ to ship a return to Wiggle.

Last edited by FPSDavid; 08-07-13 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-07-13, 12:04 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
You still don't get it. I wonder if there is a correlation between guys with a 2.0 GPA in college and not grasping the concept of return shipping.

As simple as I can put it...as stated above.
If you buy a single item, and not return it there is NEVER any return shipping. The percentage of 2 way shipping is on the order of 20%...maybe.
If you buy two items and return one, you will ALWAYS return one. The percentage of 2 way shipping is 100%. This has a cost EVERY time....not 20% of the time.

And there is more. There is restocking...which requires handling and inspection for tried on goods. As a result, some companies charge a restocking fee...as they should to discourage this unsavory business practice. Some people try on goods with soiled bodies...likely a high correlation to guys who order 2 and always return 1 item...lol.

My guess is math wasn't your major.
I like how you gleefully lambast others for employing fuzzy logic and poor math skills whilst employing your own. You know what they say, "people in glass houses shouldn't be condescending dicks."
Old 08-07-13, 12:08 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
When you ship as much as they do, you get ridiculous bulk discounts. Take UK bike suppliers out of the equation and go buy a 10lb coffee maker from Amazon. That would probably cost us $15-$30 to ship, yet they can do it for free because they ship millions of things every day from multiple warehouses all across the country.
OK...let's say they ship 1 million items per day. Free return ship 2 for 1? Now they ship 2 million items each day.
It ain't rocket science.
Old 08-07-13, 12:36 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But to say they don't care about shipping costs is ridiculous. Are you kids playing at your parent's computer again?
I don't understand the outrage. As mentioned Zappos encourages you to order multiple sizes and most online clothing retailers have easy (and in many cases free) returns processes. They do this to encourage people to buy from them vs. locally at a B&M retailer (or not at all.) And no, you only do the multiple size thing once until you know what size you wear in a particular brand. You might think this is driving costs up but many internet retailers see it as competing with B&M stores which offer the ability to try stuff on before you buy it. I hope you wouldn't support someone trying something on at an LBS and then ordering it from Wiggle?
Old 08-07-13, 12:43 PM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I don't understand the outrage. As mentioned Zappos encourages you to order multiple sizes and most online clothing retailers have easy (and in many cases free) returns processes. They do this to encourage people to buy from them vs. locally at a B&M retailer (or not at all.) And no, you only do the multiple size thing once until you know what size you wear in a particular brand. You might think this is driving costs up but many internet retailers see it as competing with B&M stores which offer the ability to try stuff on before you buy it. I hope you wouldn't support someone trying something on at an LBS and then ordering it from Wiggle?
Campag4life is well known around here for not being able to stop arguing about stupid stuff (while generally being wrong about it).
Old 08-07-13, 12:47 PM
fried bake

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
i believe wiggle know people do the "buy 2, return 1 thing," and probably bake it into their pricing model. now that i know they're cool with it, i'm probably MORE likely to order items from them in the future.

bi-winning!
Old 08-07-13, 01:11 PM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Bikes: Rivendell Roadini, Rivendell Charlie Gallop Protovelo, Rivendell Clem L

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You still don't get it. I wonder if there is a correlation between guys with a 2.0 GPA in college and not grasping the concept of return shipping.

As simple as I can put it...as stated above.
If you buy a single item, and not return it there is NEVER any return shipping. The percentage of 2 way shipping is on the order of 20%...maybe.
If you buy two items and return one, you will ALWAYS return one. The percentage of 2 way shipping is 100%. This has a cost EVERY time....not 20% of the time.

And there is more. There is restocking...which requires handling and inspection for tried on goods. As a result, some companies charge a restocking fee...as they should to discourage this unsavory business practice. Some people try on goods with soiled bodies...likely a high correlation to guys who order 2 and always return 1 item...lol.

My guess is math wasn't your major.
One, you don't me or have any idea what my GPA was in college so I am not sure how you could even try to think there was a correlation. You are the one apparently trying to show the internets you're super smart. Return shipping in this scenario cost $0 for the company every single time. It is handled by the buyer in all "this didn't work out" cases. So why are you arguing how much return shipping costs the company?
Old 08-07-13, 01:45 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien
One, you don't me or have any idea what my GPA was in college so I am not sure how you could even try to think there was a correlation. You are the one apparently trying to show the internets you're super smart. Return shipping in this scenario cost $0 for the company every single time. It is handled by the buyer in all "this didn't work out" cases. So why are you arguing how much return shipping costs the company?
Has nothing to do with showing the internet anything. I am anonymous so that would be silly. I just take exception to the premise of what you guys supporting the 2 and send back 1 scenario. Its OK to have a difference of opinion. Will explain why...
Let's say you are right...or Robert is right and Wiggle doesn't have no questions asked free return policy and they charge their customers for returns lets say on bibs or a jersey that doesn't fit. In that case, I wouldn't buy from them. I believe that purchasing clothing on line has to come with a free return policy. I don't want to incur return shipping costs if an item doesn't fit. Sometimes clothes are made in irregular sizes...clothing doesn't always run to reported sizing. So then what's the beef? The beef is for guys that exploit free return shipping by ordering two garments knowing they will return one. Why not just order one?...your best effort at sizing?...and then having the opportunity to return it if there is a mistake made in fit...either on the clothes themselves or by the buyer who misjudged given sizing? To me this is the most ethical practice. That's all.

PS: an argument can be made that if a seller doesn't cover the contingency for buyers who exploit free return shipping by purchasing 2 items with intent to return 1...then its fair game. This argument can be made. Most retailers have a return policy and it can vary quite a bit. I believe if there isn't an express clause in a return policy of buy 2 and return one of the same item...or different color...you could even order a duplicate for example and pick the one that you think fits best....then the seller is relying on good faith. In other words, most prospective buyers won't instinctively buy 2 garments with intent of returning one. Hard to say what the percentage of these people is...maybe as high as 30% will do this though I doubt it is that high. But lets say that is the case. Then the seller will save 70% return shipping cost versus everybody doing it as a matter of policy.
Old 08-07-13, 02:22 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I like how you gleefully lambast others for employing fuzzy logic and poor math skills whilst employing your own. You know what they say, "people in glass houses shouldn't be condescending dicks."
lolz.....you are PROBABLY correct. I would say 1 in 2 or 50% chance you may be on the spot. I'm pulling these numbers out of my...
Old 08-07-13, 02:54 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK...let's say they ship 1 million items per day. Free return ship 2 for 1? Now they ship 2 million items each day.
It ain't rocket science.
I haven't been reading every line of this thread, but as far as I know, the OP wasn't looking for free return shipping. I don't know any place that gives you free return shipping unless the item was damaged. Although, some will give you free return shipping if you take a credit towards a future purchase rather than getting your money returned.

Old 08-07-13, 03:29 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buy local. Problem solved.
Old 08-07-13, 04:07 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There are obviously differing opinions and understandings here. Some comments are approaching the point of violating forum guidelines, too. Please, either play nice or leave the thread. It's the interwebz, nobody is going to win.