Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie buying a used bike looking for opinions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 12:50 PM
clegault

Bikes: 89 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone. I am just starting out and have the opportunity to buy 1 of 2 really great bikes. They are at the same price point, so it really comes down to bike feel and quality I guess.

1st bike is a 2008 Opera. The owner says he thinks it has about 3000 miles on it. It has full Campy Record 10 Gruppo and the cassette has just been replaced with a Campagnolo Veloce Ultra Drive 10 speed cassette. The Frame has quite a few rubbed off paint areas from the rack the current owner has. The wear pattern and location are pretty compelling to believe this. This bike rides like the wind to be honest. Going up hill I found that it was going faster than I could pedal sometimes before I even realized it.

2nd bike is a 2005 Trek Madone 5.9. It has full Dura Ace and is basically in show room shape. Never been ridden in the rain, looks like it hasn't even been sneezed on. I haven't had the opportunity to ride this bike, and if I do go ride it I miss out on the Opera.

I hear a lot about Trek from the guys I work with, but I've never heard of Opera. I am just looking for some honest opinions on the quality/longevity of these 2 bikes when compared with each other. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-13, 12:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by clegault
Going up hill I found that it was going faster than I could pedal sometimes before I even realized it.
Wait, wait! Is that Rod Serling I hear in the background accompanied by the Twilight Zone music? Give me a break. I know you were going uphill, but which way was the bike going?
Old 08-12-13, 12:58 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone. I am just starting out and have the opportunity to buy 1 of 2 really great bikes. They are at the same price point, so it really comes down to bike feel and quality I guess.

1st bike is a 2008 Opera. The owner says he thinks it has about 3000 miles on it. It has full Campy Record 10 Gruppo and the cassette has just been replaced with a Campagnolo Veloce Ultra Drive 10 speed cassette. The Frame has quite a few rubbed off paint areas from the rack the current owner has. The wear pattern and location are pretty compelling to believe this. This bike rides like the wind to be honest. Going up hill I found that it was going faster than I could pedal sometimes before I even realized it.

2nd bike is a 2005 Trek Madone 5.9. It has full Dura Ace and is basically in show room shape. Never been ridden in the rain, looks like it hasn't even been sneezed on. I haven't had the opportunity to ride this bike, and if I do go ride it I miss out on the Opera.

I hear a lot about Trek from the guys I work with, but I've never heard of Opera. I am just looking for some honest opinions on the quality/longevity of these 2 bikes when compared with each other. Thanks in advance!
I would get the Trek.
Old 08-12-13, 01:00 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by uncrx2003
I would get the Trek.
And miss out on the Opera? I know for a fact that Trek's cannot go uphill faster than they can be pedaled.
Old 08-12-13, 01:11 PM
mshred
It do, but it don't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get whichever one fits the best.

assuming they both fit fine, i'd get the trek and try to teach it how to go uphill faster than it can be pedaled.
Old 08-12-13, 01:19 PM
clegault

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Wait, wait! Is that Rod Serling I hear in the background accompanied by the Twilight Zone music? Give me a break. I know you were going uphill, but which way was the bike going?
LOL Sorry, I realize that it was poorly written. In the interest of full disclosure my current bike is an 89 Schwinn World Sport. I have to pedal really hard to get that thing up hills, so riding the Opera was like taking the ankle weights off before a run. What I meant was that it was moving so quickly and easily through the gears on the way up the hill that I wasn't keeping up.

Also of interest (to me at least) is that I have ridden several other bikes (Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Tarmac, GT, Trek 2.1) and none of them felt like the Opera. It felt really fast to me, but thats just my own anecdotal comment.

Last edited by clegault; 08-12-13 at 01:22 PM. Reason: I left off some info I meant to include
Old 08-12-13, 01:31 PM
The Blue Banana
You Get What You Give

Bikes: Look 555

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOL Sorry, I realize that it was poorly written. In the interest of full disclosure my current bike is an 89 Schwinn World Sport. I have to pedal really hard to get that thing up hills, so riding the Opera was like taking the ankle weights off before a run. What I meant was that it was moving so quickly and easily through the gears on the way up the hill that I wasn't keeping up.

Also of interest (to me at least) is that I have ridden several other bikes (Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Tarmac, GT, Trek 2.1) and none of them felt like the Opera. It felt really fast to me, but thats just my own anecdotal comment.

You just answered your question... Buy the bike that stands out above the others...
Old 08-12-13, 01:39 PM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you likey the bikey, get the it... Don't buy a bike you like less...3000 if well maintained isn't bad...Don't limit your search though... i did and regretted it a bit... ended up with a nice CAAD8...Lot's of deals to be had out there... specially at this time when the 2014 are fixin to come out....Do yourself a favor and ride the Madone...it's a nice machine...
Old 08-12-13, 01:54 PM
rpenmanparker 

Surprisingly no one has commented on what Opera is yet. Opera is a brand started by PINARELLO in the late 1990s. With that pedigree it can't be awful. I'm no fan of Pinarello, mainly due to their overpricing and poor value for the money, but they are supposed to be very good bikes. Whether this is supposed to be a lower level 2nd label, an experimental brand, or what, I don't know, but the there is a well regarded company standing behind it.
Old 08-12-13, 02:12 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Surprisingly no one has commented on what Opera is yet. Opera is a brand started by PINARELLO in the late 1990s. With that pedigree it can't be awful. I'm no fan of Pinarello, mainly due to their overpricing and poor value for the money, but they are supposed to be very good bikes. Whether this is supposed to be a lower level 2nd label, an experimental brand, or what, I don't know, but the there is a well regarded company standing behind it.
Never heard of Opera or do I really care for it. Between those two (assuming fit is not an issue), it seems like the trek is a no brainer based on condition alone. It's your money though so spend it how ever you like. I'm riding a 1998 Serotta that probably weighs over 20lbs and I'm still keeping with he fast groups. Placebo effect plays a large part in a new bike.
Old 08-12-13, 02:26 PM
clegault

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uncrx2003
Never heard of Opera or do I really care for it. Between those two (assuming fit is not an issue), it seems like the trek is a no brainer based on condition alone. It's your money though so spend it how ever you like. I'm riding a 1998 Serotta that probably weighs over 20lbs and I'm still keeping with he fast groups. Placebo effect plays a large part in a new bike.
My Schwinn is about 28 pounds and is too small for me, I don't think placebo enters into it. I've heard that your bike speed has a lot to do with the engine though ;-). I need a new bike and so far they all feel great, the Opera just feels better. Although I haven't ridden the Madone yet.