Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upper body strength is so weak

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Upper body strength is so weak

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 08:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 893 Times in 458 Posts
^ Weight lifting increases bone density.

https://www.naturalnews.com/010528_bo...y_mineral.html

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article.../bonemass.html

https://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Eff...of%20Women.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23552825
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 08-20-13 at 08:56 AM. Reason: add links
Old 08-20-13, 09:26 AM
Will Goes Boing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a lot of misinformation here, and it is obvious that weight lifting is not something that avid cyclists do because of how much workload you're already putting on your body by cycling alone. I have been a gym rat ever since I was in highschool and I'm 30 now. I just recently got serious with cycling and I must say it's hard to juggle both things without overtaxing my body.

What you guys need to realize is that it takes a surplus in calories along with weight lifting to add "bulk/weight". If you're cycling as much as an avid cyclist does on a normal basis there is no way you would take in enough calories to get really big. If "getting huge" was so easy, every guy who goes to the gym would look like Ronnie Coleman.

People don't realize that strength gain is related more to your central nervous system than actual muscle mass. At 155lbs (at 5'10) I'm able to dead lift 405lbs, bench press 225lbs for 3 reps, overhead press 135lbs for 5 reps, squat 285, and bang out 25 strict form dead hang pull ups. My goal when it comes to working out has always been performance oriented. I want to be as strong as possible while weighing as little as possible. At 155lbs it seems to be a good compromise for me. So seeing how I'm fairly light weight with pretty decent strength, I really see the benefits when it comes to sprinting from a stop, bursting up short climbs, and being able to get up to a fairly high speed and sustain it on the flats.
Old 08-20-13, 09:46 AM
covpride

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing
I see a lot of misinformation here, and it is obvious that weight lifting is not something that avid cyclists do because of how much workload you're already putting on your body by cycling alone. I have been a gym rat ever since I was in highschool and I'm 30 now. I just recently got serious with cycling and I must say it's hard to juggle both things without overtaxing my body.

What you guys need to realize is that it takes a surplus in calories along with weight lifting to add "bulk/weight". If you're cycling as much as an avid cyclist does on a normal basis there is no way you would take in enough calories to get really big. If "getting huge" was so easy, every guy who goes to the gym would look like Ronnie Coleman.

People don't realize that strength gain is related more to your central nervous system than actual muscle mass. At 155lbs (at 5'10) I'm able to dead lift 405lbs, bench press 225lbs for 3 reps, overhead press 135lbs for 5 reps, squat 285, and bang out 25 strict form dead hang pull ups. My goal when it comes to working out has always been performance oriented. I want to be as strong as possible while weighing as little as possible. At 155lbs it seems to be a good compromise for me. So seeing how I'm fairly light weight with pretty decent strength, I really see the benefits when it comes to sprinting from a stop, bursting up short climbs, and being able to get up to a fairly high speed and sustain it on the flats.

^^This, nice lifts by the way. I've been powerlifting the last 3 years, sitting around 220lbs right now. Wanting to slowly work my way to around 200. I think I can still keep getting stronger on the way down with more cycling as well. I compete in 1 or 2 powerlifting meets a year so definitely takes work to find a good balance.
Old 08-20-13, 10:04 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Being light, and fit, certainly helps with acceleration, but there's precious little data that weight lifting makes you fast on a road bike.

And your first point, shows the problem. If you want to be fast on the bike, you need to push yourself hard on the bike. Weight lifting, particularly for you legs, in season, limits the work you can maintain on the bike.

So I get back to my basic point, lift for general health, fitness, lift for appearance, but beyond a basic program focused on core, and perhaps some off season work on your legs, lifting is not the route to get fast on the bike.
Old 08-20-13, 10:16 AM
mshred
It do, but it don't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i work out.
Old 08-20-13, 10:20 AM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say that <10% of the people I ride with actually do any weight training. There some people that would whoop me up and down the road but probably have never picked up a weight in their life. After working out, my muscle tone and physique is much better. Let's be honest here, how many here on this forum actually races (<5%) so lifting should be recommend for pretty much everyone else. It's really hard to find time for me to lift in between work and riding 150-200 miles/week. I try to fit in about 3 one hour workouts per week. I try to focus on shoulders, arms, chest, back, and core.
Old 08-20-13, 10:27 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I go to the gym in the off season, but who has time for that stuff when the weather is nice. I'd rather be out cycling.
Old 08-20-13, 10:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,097 Times in 1,484 Posts

I think the core point here, as it were, is rather the same as in the recent core workout thread. Tommy D. doesn't fear working core a lot, even during the season, because he knows it won't put weight on him if done correctly, and the principle of getting stronger by overload and recruitment works, while diet and workload keep the weight where it needs to be. Those who haven't been to the gym in a while will notice an almost immediate increase in their ability to move weight. This happens long before any concomitant increase in muscle size or weight. It's simply recruitment. IME better recruitment of muscles without increase in muscle size is beneficial for cycling endurance. It may not show directly as speed, but it makes the ride more comfortable, and as there is no weight gain, I don't see how it can hurt speed. I've been doing some cross-training, lost a little weight, and had 4 Strava PRs on Sunday's ride. Probably just a coincidence.
Old 08-20-13, 10:46 AM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sprinting is my upper body workout. Works the legs and the cardio at the same time, too
Old 08-20-13, 11:02 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
I can easily bang out a hundred miles on the bike and consider myself pretty fit.
So it's weird to go to the gym and see middle age women lifting as much or more weight than I can.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-20-13, 11:16 AM
ConGrUenCy

Bikes: C'dale CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find lifting(and going to the gym in general) very boring. I cycle 5 days a week, swim thrice a week and try and run 1-2 times a week.
Old 08-20-13, 11:28 AM
dm83

Bikes: 2013 Allez, 2013 Sirrus, 1984 Legend Compe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy
I find lifting(and going to the gym in general) very boring. I cycle 5 days a week, swim thrice a week and try and run 1-2 times a week.
Getting better isn't always fun, it involves hard work at some point.
Old 08-20-13, 12:16 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Weight lifting doesn't necessarily make you slow. Ask this guy. He's winning a 1/2/3 race in my area a few months ago with a big gap on a field with a handful of ex pros and generally pencil thin fast racers. He's also apparently won on hilly road races (although this was a mostly flat crit).

For what it's worth, I maintain upper body strength/definition by regularly keeping up on my push-up/ pull-up/ sit up routine. I'm not built anything like that guy (everyone here calls him the Hulk), but I don't have toothpick arms and I've managed to get stronger as a racer.

Old 08-20-13, 02:58 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Weight lifting doesnt' make you slow, but it's not going to make you fast either, compared to just riding more.

At the amateur level, you can have all sorts of body shapes win, even big portly guys. Step it up to the pro level, and you see the sacrifices in upper body muscle needed to win, and this isn't just for climbing stages - none of the TT guys are hulks either.

If muscle mass did matter for speed for these roadies, you better believe they'd be hulked up. Just look at pro track cyclists - they've got amongst the biggest quads you'll ever see for their short burst efforts.
Old 08-20-13, 04:23 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Sorry I am very strong so I cannot relate. Huge massive biceps powerful quads and big belly
Old 08-20-13, 04:48 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Bench is about as worthless of an activity to gauge ones fitness as there could possibly be.
well, since strength is a general adaptation, and benching makes the chest, shoulders, and triceps stronger, why do you believe it a worthless activity to gauge one's fitness? although i presented its usefulness in combination with other exercises, so you're altering the original context.

being able to bench will improve one's ability to press and vice versa. granted, the press uses more muscle and motor units and is a more useful exercise for the majority of people.
Old 08-20-13, 06:38 PM
jdon

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Strength is a definite benefit. But you can have strength without bulking up, all it takes is moderation . . . it takes a hell of a lot of weight training to bulk up unnecessarily.

Keep in mind as well, for long term health you need to cross-train to include weight-bearing exercise. Those of you who do nothing but ride, ride, ride are setting yourselves up for bone and joint ailments later in life. You may be carefree now while you're young, but you may wind up in a wheel chair 30 or 40 years from now. Nothing is worth that.
Listen to Uncle BillyD kids.
Old 08-20-13, 06:47 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by justkeepedaling
Sprinting is my upper body workout. Works the legs and the cardio at the same time, too
When did you find a sprint?
Old 08-20-13, 07:21 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Assuming you're not being sarcastic....

You can work out and gain strength and muscle without gaining any weight. If your level of cycling is up there the upper body actually plays a huge role in putting power down. Pro cyclists have an insane amount of power to weight ratio. If all it takes is to be light weight to be fast on a bike then any skinny guy can technically be a fast rider.

You need to finish thinking this through. if, as a recreational cyclist, you have a limited amount of watts. Much lower than any pro. How is adding any upper body mass going to help you ride your bike fast, or climb?
The exact opposite is in fact true, you need to limit the weight of everything that doesnt help you go faster on the bike , or climb faster. Bigger biceps do not help you ride faster. Larger guads do.
You want to keep tone, fine, that wont hurt and might even help if you dont already have sufficient muscle tone. But pumping iron to beef up is counter productive to cyclings needs.
Old 08-20-13, 09:32 PM
ConGrUenCy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dm83
Getting better isn't always fun, it involves hard work at some point.
Absolutely, but weights is going about improvement in the wrong way. Weights will NOT make you a better cyclist unless you're a sprinter. To get better, you need interval training, climbing practice, core strengthening exercises etc; not weights.
Swimming is good for lungs and heart (which directly aids cycling) and works the upper body, in fact it works the entire body, particularly if you can do all the different strokes. It also strengthens the hamstrings, which cyclist often ignore. I personlly believe swimming aids cyclists more than weights. For the bones, running a couple times a week might help.
Old 08-21-13, 12:35 AM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$.02:

I've been working out, my friend hasn't been and he's been riding more. Last 2/3 times we hit the local 4 mile steep canyon, I dropped him before the top - something I rarely do. He'll prolly beat me up the 10 mile canyons, but gotta love that out of the saddle sprinting strength.
Old 08-21-13, 07:01 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by max5480
$.02:

I've been working out, my friend hasn't been and he's been riding more. Last 2/3 times we hit the local 4 mile steep canyon, I dropped him before the top - something I rarely do. He'll prolly beat me up the 10 mile canyons, but gotta love that out of the saddle sprinting strength.
But if you were spending time on the bike doing sets of short intervals and sprints for the same amount of time you're in the gym, you'd have even greater "sprinting strength"

Working out is better for your cycling than sitting on the couch, but it's not as good as cycling.

The fallacy here is that you're seeing improvements in your fitness because you're working out. But the point is you could be even faster spending that time on the bike.
Old 08-21-13, 07:24 AM
ConGrUenCy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max5480
$.02:

But that proves absolutely nothing. What sort of training was your friend doing on the bike? Just riding around at his own pace won't do much, but if he was doing sprint intervals, hill intervals etc he might have most likely beaten you. As merlinextraligh said, had you spent the gym time on the bike instead doing the right sort of training, you might have done even better.