Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shamal SPOKE NIGHTMARE!!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shamal SPOKE NIGHTMARE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 02:38 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
Why don't you splurge for some Record Ti hubs? I sooo regret selling mine on ebay for only 115$...I can't believe nobody bid them up higher...Those Shamal Wheels are stupid junk. Campy ought to be ashamed.

The reason DT stopped making spokes is because they knew the spokes weren't going to be a reliable product with the DT name...Adding mass to the rims and tweaking up the tension higher was a stupid fad. It still is. A double 32 spoke rear and a 28 spoke front is a time tested proven build for weight and reliability. A couple hundred grams is a small price to pay for an unfixable trip to the LBS.

The Shamal wheels can't even be trued. You break a spoke...the wheel is darn near toast.
The truing point is nonsense, they can certainly be trued, I've done it several times. But altogether I have no idea what you're talking about with the Record Ti hubs... are they vintage or are you talking about current hubs...? Enlighten me

And this thread is about fixing what I have not about getting something else
Old 08-30-13, 04:06 PM
Mark Kelly 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the early Shamal wheels as per OP (700C) the spokes are:

Front: 273mm

Rear: DS 274mm, NDS 271mm.

These lengths were measured from a clincher set, I believe the singles are the same lengths.

Last edited by Mark Kelly; 08-30-13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-30-13, 04:26 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
For the early Shamal wheels as per OP (700C) the spokes are:

Front: 273mm

Rear: DS 274mm, NDS 271mm.

These lengths were measured from a clincher set, I believe the singles are the same lengths.
Do you think these would work? do they vary by construction? ie strength, the OEM vs these? Do you think I'll have to relace the who wheel, or will it be ok to just replace one and if more break then do the whole wheel later?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-SWISS-AER...item20d6c5fa3c

PS really appreciate the help. I'm virtually immobile without my bike, need to get it fixed asap.
Old 08-30-13, 05:07 PM
Mark Kelly 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlenBandit
No: 1.8 x 1.2 = 2.16 mm^2 . That's the equivalent of ~ 1.65mm diameter spoke. It won't take the tension.

The originals are 3 x 1.2 mm, the equivalent of a 2mm spoke. Doesn't sound like much but it's the area that counts, they're about 50% stronger. Apparently a plain guage 2mm spoke works well but looks naff.

BTW I've been told the OEM spokes were made for Campagnolo by Alpina, not DT Swiss.

Last edited by Mark Kelly; 08-30-13 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 07:35 AM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
No: 1.8 x 1.2 = 2.16 mm^2 . That's the equivalent of ~ 1.65mm diameter spoke. It won't take the tension.

The originals are 3 x 1.2 mm, the equivalent of a 2mm spoke. Doesn't sound like much but it's the area that counts, they're about 50% stronger. Apparently a plain guage 2mm spoke works well but looks naff.

BTW I've been told the OEM spokes were made for Campagnolo by Alpina, not DT Swiss.
Ok good, making progress do you know if there's anything online available that would suffice? Tried searching for alpina on eBay but was unsuccessful. DT don't seem to be available in that thickness. Is my only real reliable option is to look for a busted Shamal and part it out...?
Old 08-31-13, 07:53 AM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also just found these:

https://www.sdeals.com/oscommerce/pro...roducts_id/376

3.2 though... What do you think.
Old 08-31-13, 08:19 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
Why don't you splurge for some Record Ti hubs? I sooo regret selling mine on ebay for only 115$...I can't believe nobody bid them up higher...Those Shamal Wheels are stupid junk. Campy ought to be ashamed.

The reason DT stopped making spokes is because they knew the spokes weren't going to be a reliable product with the DT name...Adding mass to the rims and tweaking up the tension higher was a stupid fad. It still is. A double 32 spoke rear and a 28 spoke front is a time tested proven build for weight and reliability. A couple hundred grams is a small price to pay for an unfixable trip to the LBS.

The Shamal wheels can't even be trued. You break a spoke...the wheel is darn near toast.
Stupid junk? Sure they are heavy, but a lot of these wheels have bucket loads of miles on them and still run true and roll smooth. I've seen them under Clydesdales and cyclocross riders for years with no issue.

not your style, sure, but calling them junk is a joke. Campagnolo should be proud. Not many wheelsets have retained value over 10+ years like shamals.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 08-31-13 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-31-13, 09:40 AM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Stupid junk? Sure they are heavy, but a lot of these wheels have bucket loads of miles on them and still run true and roll smooth. I've seen them under Clydesdales and cyclocross riders for years with no issue.

not your style, sure, but calling them junk is a joke. Campagnolo should be proud. Not many wheelsets have retained value over 10+ years like shamals.
amen
Old 09-01-13, 03:00 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump... still need help. SOMEBODY! ANYBODY
Old 09-01-13, 06:08 PM
Mark Kelly 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See post #4 .
Old 11-21-13, 05:58 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still looking for rear Shamal C-Record DT spokes... Can anyone help?

Mark Kelly, thanks for offering your custom spokes but I'm really trying to find OEM before i decide to ship in yours from OZ.
Old 11-21-13, 06:17 PM
shoota 

Liked 699 Times in 471 Posts
The shamals I saw were cracked all over the place, on a bike that was in very good shape..
Old 11-21-13, 08:57 PM
MNTC

Bikes: 1991 Eddie Merckx Corsa, 1991 Cannondale 3.0 Road Race, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlenBandit
PS really appreciate the help. I'm virtually immobile without my bike, need to get it fixed asap.
Just my opinion, but if this is your only bike I would invest in a set of 32+ spoke wheels for daily use. They will be more reliable and cheaper to service. You can get a basic, but decent set for around $120 on velomine.com and bust out the Shamals (if you can fix them) for special "go-fast" occasions.
Old 11-21-13, 09:44 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Liked 281 Times in 126 Posts
Glenn, its pretty apparent that you are going about this backwards.

Get some spokes from Mark (post #4 ) and don't argue- just do it.

That will get you up and running. If the OEM spoke ever turn up (fat chance but who knows) then buy them and put them on the wheel. My Shamals are in great shape but now that I know how hard it is to find spokes Mark's solution is a no-brainer.
Old 11-21-13, 10:19 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,010 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I agree that companies cannot keeping supplying replacement parts ad infinitum. However, they do have a moral repeonsibilty to supply parts for a reasonable period after the product has been discontinued. This varies from industry to industry. Some have a policy of decades. Most calculate a historical usage rate and then do an LTB (last time buy) that would theoretically supply the extant customer base for the desired period. For something like spokes, the cost and storage space would be a drop in the bucket, even if we were talking decades. Unfortunately, the bicycle industry is trending towards zero parts availability after product termination. IMO, a company offering an extended parts availability program has a big advantage over the competition with respect to building a loyal customer base.

Personally, I 've never been that convinced that Campagnolo was much better than anybody else at small parts availability. It just seemed they were better because they were the dominant force in high end cycling at a time when dealers still stocked small parts and repaired individual components. You could get small parts from Shimano at that time but most large shops stocked Campagnolo parts because there were so many Campagnolo equipped bicycles in the marketplace. Shimano you generally had to order, except for the most common of replacement parts.
In the 1970's Campagnolo Distributors stocked a good deal of replacement parts. A few (Apollo TBS Distributors, Euro-Asia and Oschner & Oschner) stocked lots and almost all SKU's) But from some you paid handsomely for their inventory depth. Campagnolo also benefitted that the backwards compatibility was good, many parts were used for decades.
Shimano was constantly knocked for not having replacement part inventory, so much so they addressed it in 1975 and allowed retail shops to order parts from them directly as their distributors did not stock parts, prepayment was required, no C.O.D.'s and no open accounts. This was not very successful, there ware minimum package quantities for parts, a bag of 10 was typical so that one part you needed meant you had to buy the package qty. Shimano did not have the sales volume for this to make much sense other than for good customer service. The shop I worked for used it a few times, typical order took 4-6 weeks, another issue.
Old 11-03-14, 05:51 AM
jahknob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm a newbie, can't send private messages yet, but wanted to get in touch with Mark Kelly..

Have been searching around the internet to try to solve a problem I've encountered as I try to turn a pair of original Campy 16h road Shamals into a track wheelset.

Have sourced a really nice Phil Wood custom hub that is 16h and designed for bladed spokes. However, the flange size isn't identical and nor is the flange spacing - and having read some of the Shamal-related posts, I'm wondering if the spoke holes will be big enough for the special spokes needed?).

But now I need to find 16 spokes of the correct length to rebuild this hub on to the Shamal rim. Can you help?

Thanks,

Neil (jahknob)
Old 01-16-16, 12:57 PM
nuxley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you're better off buying the almost new here:
https://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161949248174&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
Old 02-17-16, 08:50 PM
motoroberto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Mark, realize this thread is old, but I need a replacement spoke for the front wheel. Are you still in the business?