Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New toy landed on my desk today

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 02:50 PM
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been wanting to give it a try due to the low cost, but I decided to pass based on the negative reviews from DC Rainmaker. After reading the updated review of firmware 2.0.1 I thought I'd give it a shot. I have a race this Sunday so I'll run it a long with a powertap and see how close the results are.

Last edited by gadabout007; 09-04-13 at 03:24 PM. Reason: had to upload to imageshack. Images never work here :(
Old 09-04-13, 03:27 PM
Adrianinkc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to the results.
Old 09-04-13, 03:43 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very interested here.
Old 09-04-13, 03:58 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
me too, am on the verge of going for it. Really wanted to do the SRM and have been saving for one but very tough to justify the price for me as a recreational cyclist.
Old 09-04-13, 04:26 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Subscribed.

Old 09-04-13, 04:46 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,564 Times in 3,278 Posts
Yeah, me too.
Old 09-04-13, 05:03 PM
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not terribly pleased with the firmware update app. I downloaded the StagesPower wahoo utility from itunes to my ipad and get the following message "Not a bluetooth capable device" I just checked the notes to discover that bluetooth only works with 3rd gen ipad or better and iphone 4s and up. Kind of annoying that I have to borrow or buy a device just to verify the firmware version.
Old 09-04-13, 05:55 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post results!
Old 09-04-13, 05:57 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gadabout007
I'm not terribly pleased with the firmware update app. I downloaded the StagesPower wahoo utility from itunes to my ipad and get the following message "Not a bluetooth capable device" I just checked the notes to discover that bluetooth only works with 3rd gen ipad or better and iphone 4s and up. Kind of annoying that I have to borrow or buy a device just to verify the firmware version.
Crazy bastads that make electronics have us by the kahunas for sure! We live in a technology geek controlled society and there is no turning back!!!!
Old 09-04-13, 06:09 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't mean to derail this thread, but has anyone heard anything more about the Garmin Vector release? Seems to me there was another rumor floating around about a mid September appearance. Just wondering if this had any more substance to it than previous false alerts.
Old 09-04-13, 06:10 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing results
Old 09-04-13, 06:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by bsektzer
Don't mean to derail this thread, but has anyone heard anything more about the Garmin Vector release? Seems to me there was another rumor floating around about a mid September appearance. Just wondering if this had any more substance to it than previous false alerts.
People have been buying them. Availability is limited, though.
Old 09-04-13, 06:15 PM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't suggest buying a pedal powermeter.....or maybe I just take corners sharper than suggested.
Old 09-04-13, 06:39 PM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, looking forward to hearing the results!
Old 09-04-13, 06:49 PM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gadabout007
Agree on I pad only thing. I asked and Stages told me the other less regulated platforms are too hard to deal with just yet.

I have been running a Stages meter from one of the early batches. It worked just fine right from the box. When the update came, being a standard guy that opens up things that say "no user serviceable parts inside" I just had to mess with success and load the update. Something went wrong and the automatic calibration stopped working. If I calibrated it everything worked. If I did not and the ambient temps changed up or down a good bit from inside the house start temp I got real powerful or weaker than normal. Called Stages and once we had the problem isolated as not a battery issue they sent me a replacement and a return tag via next day. 10 min to swap and the replacement has been bullet proof for 1500 miles or so and came through a hard curb hit too. Every once in a while I will stop and recalibrate to see if the auto system is working and it does not change.(this in and of itself means little unless the device is tested against a known measure as DC rain did) Get on bike and ride all day, no wattage drift if you forget to re zero after the day warms up or the like. I am using it to set training goals and pace by noting my previously used HR goals and limits and converting to watts on the fly. Will go to a more formal training late fall and all winter. Been helpful in learning what positions are more aero without undue discomfort. Had a long week on a very flat island to play around a bit. Elbows in shows up in watt change for a given mph for example. Too much in shows up as "need more O2' HR bump. I can't say one way or the other as to how accurate it is over the other methods or brands but DC Rain seems to have covered that.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 09-04-13 at 08:14 PM. Reason: real bad spelinl and forgot some useless stuff
Old 09-04-13, 07:12 PM
dddavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you buy it locally?
Old 09-04-13, 07:52 PM
Ricanfred

Bikes: Yes, I ride an aluminum Trek!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subscribed....
Old 09-04-13, 08:05 PM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dddavid
Did you buy it locally?
If that question is for me No, I preordered it from the Stages website. No local support but other than the unneeded update snafu thing there seems to be little need. riding buddy had a new PT that went belly up about 3 days into ownership. He took it to store, they shipped back and he waited while they fixed it rather than the store swapping in a new one. Stages battery is DIY and there is no complex install or chain ring / new battery need to ship off to factory issues or the like. The shops that sell other brands in the DC metro area all want to scoff at the useless toy.

Side by side race graphs will be interesting.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 09-04-13 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 08:27 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subscribed
Old 09-04-13, 09:15 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought the powertap onsale at excel sports. Will be looking forward to your review.
Old 09-05-13, 06:23 AM
dddavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicegrip
If that question is for me No, I preordered it from the Stages website. No local support but other than the unneeded update snafu thing there seems to be little need. riding buddy had a new PT that went belly up about 3 days into ownership. He took it to store, they shipped back and he waited while they fixed it rather than the store swapping in a new one. Stages battery is DIY and there is no complex install or chain ring / new battery need to ship off to factory issues or the like. The shops that sell other brands in the DC metro area all want to scoff at the useless toy.

Side by side race graphs will be interesting.
I was asking the OP since I live in Toronto too. But my fault, I should have been more specific. Thanks for the reply however, still interesting to read.
Old 09-05-13, 06:53 AM
Jakedatc

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VA_Esquire
I don't suggest buying a pedal powermeter.....or maybe I just take corners sharper than suggested.
pic from DCrainmaker... i wonder how you'd corner harder than this?
Old 09-05-13, 07:29 AM
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dddavid
I was asking the OP since I live in Toronto too. But my fault, I should have been more specific. Thanks for the reply however, still interesting to read.
I bought it at La Bicicletta https://www.labicicletta.com/stages-c...power-arm.html They stock DA 7900 and Ultegra 6700 in 175mm & 172.5mm. They offer free ground shipping on $150 purchases which works out to next day delivery in the GTA if you order before noon. bsektzer these guys also carry the Vector powermeter, but to my understanding they haven't had many takers and try to direct folks to the quarq instead.

Couple things I've discovered so far. It ships with the native firmware which must be updated. It wouldn't even pair with my 510 prior to the update but saw the 500 without a problem. You need to clear/forget previous powermeters (at least on the 500) otherwise it wouldn't see that a powermeter was present. Cadence reads zero at anything below 31 rpm. This really isn't an issue, but seeing a zero when you're slow pedaling leads you to believe the meter isn't working. As soon as it hits 31 rpm it kicks in again.
Old 09-05-13, 08:14 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclelogikal
Crazy bastads that make electronics have us by the kahunas for sure! We live in a technology geek controlled society and there is no turning back!!!!

Kahuna
Old 09-05-13, 08:33 AM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just installed a SRAM Force crank, so not sure this is on the short for 2013. However this may be an nice christmass add on.

I'm a little confused on how to order if I were interested. Do I send them my left crank arm, or do just purchase an already equipend left arm crank arm. I'm only concerend because they show they do not carry the Sram Force arm...

Looking forward to how you like this thing. I've been curious about power but it just seems so costly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.