Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Groin chafing treatment advice wanted

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 07:04 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Got a bit of chafing in the groin area yesterday morning, forgot to apply chamois cream before I left yesterday afternoon and had to stop on the route home (disappear into the bushes at the side of the road) and apply the cream because it was getting quite sore. However, it was too late, even with cream this morning, it was tender. I'll apply lots this afternoon and then see how it goes. I don't want to have to stop biking in to work this week but I might if I can't get it under control.

Any recommendations for treatment? Do others suffer the same? Do you just grimace and get through it and it will heal/adjust on its own (like the soreness of the sit bones at the beginning of a new season)?
Old 09-24-13, 08:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Ride long enough warrants proper bike shorts with a smooth, absorbant liner , is that what you wear?

on tours Wearing bike shorts [long days riding] clean shorts and clean skin seems sufficient.

wearing denim pants? their woven fabric wont give like jersey knits . there is a chafing source.

My riding, local distances, is in sweatpants , and track-suit trousers to avoid that ..
Old 09-24-13, 08:11 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 356 Times in 194 Posts
gold bond
Old 09-24-13, 08:18 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Ride long enough warrants proper bike shorts with a smooth, absorbant liner , is that what you wear?
Yes, the proper lycra stuff.

It seems as if when I get sweaty and go for longer rides that I encounter this problem. Although it is cool/cold these days, since last Monday, my commutes have extended to 55min to avoid construction on my previous 40min route and the terrain has changed such that during the current ride, there are less opportunities for coasting than on the previous so much of the ride, I am continuously pedaling and putting in an effort (light at times, moderate for much of it).
Old 09-24-13, 08:18 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
gold bond
Hmm, I think I've got some buried in my locker, I'll try that. Thanks
Old 09-24-13, 11:29 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keeping it clean and dry when you're not riding will accelerate healing also. I am lucky at work shorts are permitted (no one cares, its just a cubicle). Baby powder is in great supply with 3 under 5yo @ my home so that's what I use.
Old 09-24-13, 11:37 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
forgot to apply chamois cream before I left yesterday afternoon
Y'know, I never use the stuff, but I wonder if regular use prevents the skin from toughening up. Might be worth trying to go without now and then and see if that helps in the long run.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-24-13, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Ontario Province is Cooling off, soon, that should help.
Old 09-24-13, 11:44 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Y'know, I never use the stuff, but I wonder if regular use prevents the skin from toughening up. Might be worth trying to go without now and then and see if that helps in the long run.
That's kind of what I was asking when I wrote:

Do you just grimace and get through it and it will heal/adjust on its own (like the soreness of the sit bones at the beginning of a new season)?
The Gold bond seems to be cooling and relieving the area. I'll continue to ride this week unless it becomes unbearable.
Old 09-24-13, 03:59 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Chamois butter for long days in the saddle only. If I forget I apply Aquaphor after a shower if I'm feeling a little chafed.

It's really only an issue If it's hot, I forgot to pre-treat, and I've been out on a very long hard road or mountain bike ride. Otherwise it's not an issues. A tube of Chamois butter lasts years and years.
Old 09-24-13, 07:23 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Yep, chamois butter during the longer/hotter rides, gold bond after a shower. If I still feel chafed the next morning I'll refrain from riding for a day to heal. You certainly don't want to ignore the chafe if it lasts more than a day or so. Showing that area to a MD because you need antibiotics could be entertaining..but not for you.
Old 09-25-13, 05:44 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could also be a saddle issue. Never had a problem with chafing and only use anti-chafe lotion on rides over 100 miles (if I remember to put it on), until I switched to an Adamo Race seat on the commuter. I'd be fine at the beginning of the week, but by Thurs I was hurting. The nose is wide on it and just rubbed me the wrong way once I was using it day after day. No problems after switching to a Brooks. Just throwing that out there, could be your seat.
Old 09-25-13, 06:43 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwayne
Could also be a saddle issue. Never had a problem with chafing and only use anti-chafe lotion on rides over 100 miles (if I remember to put it on), until I switched to an Adamo Race seat on the commuter. I'd be fine at the beginning of the week, but by Thurs I was hurting. The nose is wide on it and just rubbed me the wrong way once I was using it day after day. No problems after switching to a Brooks. Just throwing that out there, could be your seat.
Good thought but, although I don't have a "fancy" saddle (although that may not really matter if it fits properly), I'm beginning to think it might be the shorts. If I have the shorts pulled up against the crotch, and I sweat, the material rubbing against the skin seems to be the source of the problem whereas if, when I feel the beginnings of the chafing, I stand up and, from the bottom cuff, pull the shorts down a bit and away from my crotch, the issue seems to go away. It might be occurring now because I'm wearing tights over my shorts (cool mornings) and they may be pushing my shorts up, the afternoon rides without the tights seem to be much better (although, if I've already developed a bit of soreness from the morning's ride, that will still be a bit tender but doesn't seem to get any worse).
Old 09-25-13, 08:08 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For treating the chafe I recommend bag balm, just a light coat per application. A tin of the stuff will last nearly forever. In a pinch I imagine that Vaseline would work too but bag balm just seems to have some sort of mystical healing powers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bag_Balm.jpg (20.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-25-13, 08:21 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
This......
Spent over 16 hours in the saddle last Saturday, on two different bikes.
Both with Brooks Flyers.
Wearing running shorts, no padding, no underwear.
No probs, here.
But used to it and the brooks helps.
But, best stuff for chafing, IMO, is all natural
Shea Butter.

Can't beat it for skin ailments.
And no chemicals.
Attached Images
sheabutter2.jpg (10.2 KB, 21 views)
sheabutter1.jpg (7.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 09-25-13 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-25-13, 08:21 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this: https://www.jrwatkins.com/products/f0...-d22467b7c586/
Old 09-25-13, 08:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
don't think this is something you can "ride through" let the chaffing heal.

my skin always feels better after a long hot soak in an epsom bath. but you might need a couple days off the bike with odorless desitin cream

https://www.desitin.com/how-to-treat-...rid|8333547069

https://www.amazon.com/Desitin-Clear-.../dp/B001E96NRK
Old 09-25-13, 09:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,010 Times in 1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
For treating the chafe I recommend bag balm, just a light coat per application. A tin of the stuff will last nearly forever.
Best after-ride treatment around.

Before/during a ride, a bit of chamois cream is better. But if OP needs it for an hour's ride, I'd think something's wrong with the shorts, the saddle, or how he's wearing the shorts. Gotta tuck everything in so nothing is rubbing while you pedal.
Old 09-25-13, 09:22 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Ontario Province is Cooling off, soon, that should help.

That makes it worse for me. I'm fine in the summer, but when it gets cold, well... I guess the "shrinkage" makes the old wedding tackle more unyielding.
Old 09-25-13, 09:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I refuse to imagine how that bit of external anatomy helps you move the bicycle forward .
Old 09-25-13, 09:39 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
For treating the chafe I recommend bag balm, just a light coat per application. A tin of the stuff will last nearly forever. In a pinch I imagine that Vaseline would work too but bag balm just seems to have some sort of mystical healing powers.
This looks perfect, partly because I get to tease my wife by placing it on the shelf beside my nut butter!

I'm beginning to think that it might be my tights over my shorts because I've only been wearing last and this week and this is when the problem started to occur. I was fine yesterday afternoon because I was wearing shorts only (and chamois cream and treated during the day with Goldbond) and this morning, I paid attention to how my shorts were fitting while under the tights, reset the shorts and was fine during the ride.
Old 09-25-13, 09:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Good thought but, although I don't have a "fancy" saddle....
"Fancy" is not, in my opinion, relevant. The important criterion is padding. Padding causes friction, which leads to chafing. That's the main advantage of a hard leather saddle; no padding. Secondary advantage: leather breathes, so moisture doesn't build up.
Old 09-25-13, 10:46 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good thought but, although I don't have a "fancy" saddle (although that may not really matter if it fits properly), I'm beginning to think it might be the shorts. If I have the shorts pulled up against the crotch, and I sweat, the material rubbing against the skin seems to be the source of the problem whereas if, when I feel the beginnings of the chafing, I stand up and, from the bottom cuff, pull the shorts down a bit and away from my crotch, the issue seems to go away. It might be occurring now because I'm wearing tights over my shorts (cool mornings) and they may be pushing my shorts up, the afternoon rides without the tights seem to be much better (although, if I've already developed a bit of soreness from the morning's ride, that will still be a bit tender but doesn't seem to get any worse).
A couple years ago I had a pair of shorts that were wearing out, the material was getting loose where the leg meets the crotch. I think it was bunching up and rubbing my skin as I was riding rather than staying in place against my skin, that caused discomfort and chafing at the time. Like you said, your tights might be moving your shorts around, that could definitely cause it. Have some leg warmers you can use instead of the tights?
Old 09-25-13, 11:13 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwayne
A couple years ago I had a pair of shorts that were wearing out, the material was getting loose where the leg meets the crotch. I think it was bunching up and rubbing my skin as I was riding rather than staying in place against my skin, that caused discomfort and chafing at the time. Like you said, your tights might be moving your shorts around, that could definitely cause it. Have some leg warmers you can use instead of the tights?
No, no leg warmers but I see your point.
Old 09-25-13, 11:21 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
"Fancy" is not, in my opinion, relevant. The important criterion is padding. Padding causes friction, which leads to chafing. That's the main advantage of a hard leather saddle; no padding. Secondary advantage: leather breathes, so moisture doesn't build up.
Selle italia but not a top model, middle or lower, very little padding, opening in groove in centre so it might provide some degree of venting. However, given that morning temperatures have been 1C-6C (34F-43F) this week and that I travel at an average of 26kmh (16mph), I need more than just shorts to fend off the cool, damp (misty and foggy) "fast" moving air. It was nearly 20C (68F) on the ride home (no tights) and less chafing, despite the obvious warmer temperature in the seat area so I don't think it is the skin temperature that is the problem. This summer, obviously, was much warmer and no issues. Like I said, I'm leaning toward the fit of the shorts and how it might be changed with the tights over top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.