Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Georgia House Bill 689 - Eek!

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 06:18 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally posted by corsarider in the Southeast forum - So .... no drafting at all, and no more than 4 riders in a group. And since it says "riders", not bicycles, is that only two tandems at a time??!!

To all my Georgia riding buddies. If you are not aware, there is a bill that has been introduced that will require the purchase of a license for your bikes. It is HB689. Please take the time to contact your State Reps and let them know we do not want this passed.

There are other provisions such as no more that 4 riders in a pace line and if there are more riders, there must be 50 feet separating each group of 4. Here is a quote from the bill "Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall ride single file except on bicycle paths, bicycle lanes, parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, or when a special event permit issued by a local governing authority permits riding more than single file. Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall ride no more than four riders per single file line, and at least four feet shall separate each bicycle. At least 50 feet shall be maintained between each line of four riders at all times."

Here is a link to the bill: https://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/...0132014/HB/689
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 09-28-13, 08:21 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
https://www.georgiabikes.org/index.php/blog

Georgia Bikes blog suggests that the bill has little to no chance of being enacted.
Old 09-28-13, 09:18 AM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have a friend in GA that complains about bikes on the road down there every time bikes come up in a conversation. He probably wrote that.
Old 09-28-13, 11:05 AM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
That bill, if enforced, would put a stop to organized or fee rides.
Old 09-28-13, 12:03 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tandem rider
That bill, if enforced, would put a stop to organized or fee rides.
Well, it says you would have to get a "special event permit". But glad to hear it apparently has no chance of passing.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 09-28-13, 01:15 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Onegun
Well, it says you would have to get a "special event permit". But glad to hear it apparently has no chance of passing.
Special event permit exempts you from riding single file, but not from pacelining rules. The bill also authorizes state officials (e.g. DOT) to ban cyclists from any highway or road at their discretion.

I wonder where this came from. It's a pretty long bill and it's unusual for a bill of that size to pop up with no prior discussion. None of the sponsors of the bill seem to have had any interest in bicycles before this.

I don't see any reason to think that the bill has "little to no chance of being enacted". Yes, the bill is not going anywhere until January, the reason being that the Georgia General Assembly is in recess. There's nothing to prevent them from considering the bill once they get back together.
Old 09-28-13, 03:56 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well I guess that makes me feel good about Texas. Not the most bike friendly place here but things actually seem to be getting a little better rather than worse. Bike Texas does a pretty good job representing us in the state legislature. I just commented today to my stoker that I couldn't remember the last time we got cussed at on the road.

Anyway it is nice to know we can always think of Georgia to make us feel a little better.
Old 09-28-13, 05:44 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have our gov't representatives nothing better to do?
S=c=a=r=y!
Old 09-28-13, 06:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
I'll trust the judgement of Georgia Bikes (see previous link to the BG blog) when they state that "...we see no reason to think it will move forward in January. It is highly unlikely this bill will even make it to a floor vote in the House, and we know it has no chance of passing the Senate. HB 689 is not the law and has not been voted on by any legislator."
Bicycling advocates in Jaw-juh will be paying close attention, you can be assured of that.
Old 09-28-13, 11:06 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak

Anyway it is nice to know we can always think of Georgia to make us feel a little better.
I thought that was Mississippi's job.
Old 10-05-13, 03:15 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Another proposed law that penalizes cyclists without providing any benefit to motorists.

I had a little conversation with a local TX DOT guy about bicycle registration. The administration costs would be greater than the income it would provide and they saw no real benefit.

Nice pictures and write-up on the Georgia Bikes blog.
Old 10-05-13, 07:48 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I'll put another thought forward on this, and I guess you can flame me if you want to.

We all are encouraged to practice vehicular cycling, yet if we ride in pace lines we are all guilty of following too closely.

I have a friend who works for the DPS (highway patrol) in the Austin, TX area. He put it to me pretty much like this

......" bicycle riders want to be treated like vehicles and have cars treat them like vehicles. Then they get out here on the road and run in packs inches off each other at 30mph. Something goes wrong and somebody gets hurt real bad at that speed. And, oh yeah, it's the guy in back who is at fault by following too close, not allowing time to stop, and plowing into someone. It's hard to have much sympathy........"

I hate to admit it, but from a legal standpoint he's probably correct.