Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best tandem mount for roof rack?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 12:42 PM
mstyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Yakima round bar rack for my Jetta Sportwagen. I'd like to be able to haul my newer Cannondale road tandem securely, so I've been looking over the options available for mounts. The Yakima Sidewinder looks appealing because I can stick with my standard lock cores. Will the C'dale's fat boom tube fit into the cradle correctly? Should I consider the Thule or Rocky Mounts option instead?
Old 10-08-13, 01:27 PM
Team Fab

Bikes: Comotion Supremo, Trek T1000, Comotion Supremo Triple

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have been using the Rocky Mounts R4 for about two years(I prefer inside my van so not used all the time). Seems to work fine, but as a rule I just lift tandem on I don't swing it out.

https://www.rockymounts.com/TandemMou...ack_p/0512.htm

The best part is that I can use it with my single bikes, just slide the boom in and it is ready to go.

As my car is a hatchback Mazda 3 before and now Suzuki SX4, I have the rack mounted so the rear wheel is facing forward. This way i can access the hatch with the tandem mounted.
Old 10-08-13, 01:28 PM
rahill

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, Canondale SuperSix EVO Di2, Brompton S6L, Calfee Tetra, Specialized Crux Disc, Serotta Nova Special, Bianchi Pista Concept, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We went through this recently and settled on the RockyMounts. I didn't like that the Yakima grabbed onto the boom tube, inevitably scratching it. The Yakima is the shortest though, by far, which would be good for a hatchback. The Thule (I think made by ATOC) is nice, but didn't fit our car as well as the RockyMounts. I also preferred the locking rotating head on the RockyMounts but there are plusses and minuses of each. Finally, the telescoping beam of the RockyMounts works well on our Subaru Outback - it clears the hatchback when slid in and is easy to reposition to full length once the tailgate is closed. The RockyMounts does not have a locking skewer but the Yakima locking skewers will fit.

Ultimately it's largely personal preference. You may need to try each one to determine what you do or don't like about each.
Old 10-08-13, 02:43 PM
72andsunny

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
1+ for the Sidewinder. I have a double boom tube, but I think it would be difficult to scratch anything in the cradle.

Two drawbacks: 1) it does not look terribly cool when sitting atop the car with out your tandem.
2) you can make a very big mess if you drive into the garage with your bike on top. (I know you are thinking: I'll never do that...I thought the exact same thing when I was deciding between roof transport and some other option.)
Old 10-08-13, 05:53 PM
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they will fit your car, probably the easiest crossbar mountings to put on, and not damage your roof are Yakima. I have a Thule, only because it is the only rooftop crossbar setup that will mount to my Volvo S60R sedan. To carry your tandem, you might want to consider a RockyMount. It fits both Yakima and Thule crossbars. It is a front fork mount. The rear wheel sits in a channel. It has a rotating front fork so you can rotate it 90º to your car and lock in your fork. Then, you pick up the back of your tandem and put it in the channel. If you have a light tandem, just pick it up and put it in place.
https://www.rockymounts.com/TandemMou...ack_p/0512.htm
We have been using one for 10 years and a lot of miles, and it has been perfect. The new one looks vastly improved compared to ours. The engineering, and the finished product, is a lot cleaner than Yakima too. We use a Yakima locking skewer. If you get a Yakima crossbar mount, you can get a matched key for your skewer. Don't think Rocky Mount has a locking skewer.

Last edited by VaultGuru; 10-08-13 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 08:00 PM
cajoe

Bikes: 1994 Santana Sovereign tandem, 1999 Trek 5000, 1985 Specialized Allez SE

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote for the Rocky Mount. On our Honda Pilot we mount it as far outboard as possible (outboard of the towers) and the rear tray clears our hatch even when loaded with the tandem. The one downside on taller vehicles is that the captain's chainring can whack your window during loading/unloading depending on the profile of your car. But on your Jetta I think you will be fine.
Old 10-09-13, 09:33 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Here's another vote for the Rocky Mounts Tandem Mount. We don't have any interference with the tail gate on our Pontiac Vibe GT. We use Yakima cross bars.

Long distance freeway mileage goes from 31-32mpg to 27-28mpg. It's still less expensive than buying a minivan!

I have heard good things about the Draftmaster Tandem mount: https://atoc.com/draftmasterlong.php It would be a good option if you have a hitch.

VERY IMPORTANT - Do something to keep from driving into your garage or car port when the tandem is on the car. We attach a warning label to the strap that secures the rear wheel. When we secure the rear wheel, we remove the label and attach it to the garage door opener. Then we move the garage door opener from the sun visor to a closed compartment in the center console. YMMV

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130528_145428.jpg (100.3 KB, 107 views)
Opener.jpg (97.9 KB, 69 views)
Strap.jpg (97.8 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by mwandaw; 10-09-13 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 10:00 AM
Tom Spohn

Bikes: Spec. Roubaix, Cannondale RT2, BF NWT, BF tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The manual that came with your Cannondale says not to clamp the aluminum tubes. The Yakima works fine for bikes with steel frames but should not be used with aluminum frames. This also rules out virtually all of the hitch mount racks that go on the trailer hitch. We have a Thule, in part since ATOC is a local company and it works fine. Although we have never used it, the tail piece comes out making the rack useable for a half bike. We looked at the Rocky mount and were impressed, but I didn't like the way the fork mount rotated--It is at a slight angle which will cause the bike to "flop over" when loading and unloading. Owners of this rack can comment if this is a problem or not. We have a friend with a draft master which may be the best of all, but is quite expensive. I have help load bikes on it and it really works well and keeps the bike mostly out of the slipstream when under way.
Old 10-09-13, 10:06 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Spohn
...We looked at the Rocky mount and were impressed, but I didn't like the way the fork mount rotated--It is at a slight angle which will cause the bike to "flop over" when loading and unloading...
The Rocky Mount includes a strap to keep the handlebars from turning while loading or unloading. I'm not sure if that addresses your concern about "flopping over", but I haven't had any trouble like that... at least not with our tandem
Old 10-09-13, 10:51 AM
rahill

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, Canondale SuperSix EVO Di2, Brompton S6L, Calfee Tetra, Specialized Crux Disc, Serotta Nova Special, Bianchi Pista Concept, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We looked at the Rocky mount and were impressed, but I didn't like the way the fork mount rotated--It is at a slight angle which will cause the bike to "flop over" when loading and unloading. Owners of this rack can comment if this is a problem or not.
We have not found this to be a problem. In fact the automatic locking of that rotating portion (there's a push button) seemed far superior to the pin that the Thule/ATOC used. I loaded the bike on the Thule and nearly lost control as the fork mount rotated too far (nearly laying the bike down on the roof...) - yes, I skipped the handlebar strap, that could have potentially avoided that issue.

As far as I can tell, none of them are perfect but all are workable. You probably just have to try them and see which works best for your application.
Old 10-09-13, 11:13 AM
mstyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The manual that came with your Cannondale says not to clamp the aluminum tubes.
Could you point me to where this is stated? Out of concern, I just read through the standard manual and the tandem supplement. The only mention to clamping on aluminum tubes is in reference to work stands that can generate a crushing force. In the section on mounting bikes in racks it states not to use upright mounts that clamp to carbon downtubes, again because of crushing forces.
Old 10-09-13, 11:47 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
We use a 13 year old Thule tandem rack (as prev mentioned, made by ATOC https://atoc.com/tandemtopper.php) mounted on Yakima bars and towers. The Yakima Landing Pads attach to the built-in theaded holes on the roof of our Mazda 5. The towers attach/detach very quickly/easily to the Landing Pads.
The tandem topper is just barely long enough for our Screamer, which is heavy enough that we always use the swivel feature. I've starting carrying my long wheelbase single RANS on that rack, too - it's light enough to pick up and place on the rack. (One bike at a time!) We hadn't used the Thule rack for a long time because we had a Mazda minivan that swallowed tandems whole - the first time we loaded the tandem on top of the Mazda5, I had forgotten about the strap to keep the fork from turning and had a very sloppy loading and unloading experience. Much better with the strap keeping things in line.
Old 10-10-13, 07:23 AM
NoTrail
Trail Blazing

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Epic, Niner RLT 9 Steel, Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Yakima Sidewinder rack for my Cannondale with no problems. The 'don't clamp your aluminum frame' only applies to work stands as stated above as you don't want to crush the frame. However, the Yakima Sidewinder puts very little clamping force on the frame. I find that racks that attach to the boom tube are a little more stable at highway speeds, but any of the racks mentioned above will serve you well.
Old 10-11-13, 03:11 PM
Sprout97 

Bikes: 2004 Co-Motion Speedster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote for the Sidewinder. We've been using it problem-free for over 9 years. As a fyi, we've mounted it with the Yakima Q-towers & crossbars on my stoker-wife's old Nissan Sentra & her current Hyundai Elantra. If there is a drawback to the Sidewinder it would be parking distance. You really need 4-5' between your car and the car/truck parked next to you. Also, I'd recommend using a handle bar strap regardless which roof top carrier you decide on. One final thought: again regardless on which roof top set up that you pick up, also get a front bar-mounted spoiler. Unless you like hearing a banshee wail at 15 mph+.

Learn from other people's mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

2004 Co-Motion Speedster
2010 (Specialized) Carmel comfort (my neighborhood bike)
2008 Raleigh comfort (wife's neighborhood bike)
Old 10-17-13, 11:47 AM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
As was mentioned earlier, Draftmaster. We have the hitch mounted version and it is bar none the best bike rack we have ever owned. Period! They also make a roof topper version. Over the last couple of years, I have spoken with the owner of ATOC (who makes the draftmaster), he is very keen on making sure you have exactly what you need to properly do the job of tansporting your bike. A+ to deal with.
Old 10-22-13, 04:44 AM
mrfish

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not like the idea of spending a large amount of money on what is a very basic and simple device, so put together a tandem rack for £30 from 4x trailer axle u-bolts (holds the wooden rack to the roof rack), a Saris track trap (clamps the front fork), toestraps (clamps rear wheel), some 2"x2" wood, glue, screws and black paint from the shed. It took 1 evening to make and 2 more to paint it.
Old 10-22-13, 11:17 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
one more choice is the 1 UP USA rack. I have two of their single racks and they are the best and strongest racks i have ever used. They make a tandem rack as well. https://www.1upusa.com/product-tandemroofrack.html
Old 10-24-13, 09:02 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
We've had the Yakima Sidewinder for a while, and have generally been pleased with it. It's definitely helpful to use the handlebar stabilizing strap when loading. Sometimes I get lazy and don't use it, but then the bike flops around and I kick myself.

My only complaint against the Sidewinder is that the way they designed the swingarm - with the fork mounting point being back from the actual front of the mount - makes the tandem stick farther out the back of the vehicle than it would otherwise need to. I understand why they designed it this way, as it makes loading easier when the pivot arm is swung out. However, it essentially pushes the bike back a foot or so from where it would otherwise be relative to the front crossbar (i.e., if the fork mount was directly over the crossbar vs. where the Sidewinder puts it). Not sure if I'm painting the correct picture, but if you look at the Sidewinder you'll probably understand what I mean.

We've had it on various Subaru vehicles and also our Honda minivan for drives of up to 10 hours at highway speeds. No problems at all. Once the pivot arm fixing screw is screwed down there is very little (if any) flexing of the mount or the swingarm.
Old 10-24-13, 09:26 AM
mstyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up ordering the Yakima Sidewinder and I'll probably install it this weekend. The convenience of being able to use my SKS lock cores combined with a good price through Amazon won me over.
Old 11-12-13, 09:06 AM
ScottCarney

Bikes: 2010 Davinci JointVenture, 1994 Specialized Epic Comp, 2007 Steelhead custom road bike, Surly CrossCheck, 1999 Kona MuniMula MtB, Wife:Civia commuter, Steelhead custom road, 1993 Marin Mtb Extracycle , Kids:Trek tag-along, Jet20, Trek830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was too cheap to shell out for the fancy tandem trays (despite having shelled out for 1. a DaVinci JointVenture and 2. a fancy german station wagon) and so I added a 3rd Yak cross bar to the roof, mounted a fork-holder (no tray) on the rear-most bar and then a regular tray on the front two in-line with that. This offers several advantages. The rear wheel of the bike sits just slightly over the windsheild (not visible unless you cram your head up to the front of the windsheild) so the rear hatch isn't blocked by the bike. The rear wheel tend to deflect bugs so I don't wind up with a bug-splattered frame.

Having said all that, I'm now seriously considering a fancy swing-out type system since I hurt my shoulder a couple of weeks ago while mounting the bike. You probably get what you pay for. I will also probably mount it "backwards" too.
Old 11-13-13, 08:12 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 64 Posts
We mount ours backwards on a Yakima in order to allow access to the hatch door. In July/August we did a 4000 mile round trip to Quebec and back with no problems. I agree the Yakima is pretty ugly with no tandem on it and am thinking of getting the Rocky Mount for esthetic reasons.
Attached Images
IMG_0012.jpg (92.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-08-13, 12:25 PM
JeffandKathy
Tandem newbies

Bikes: Burley Duet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We like our Sidewider, which we orient forwards on our Outback wagon. Yeah, the bike's rear wheel sticks out beyond the rear of roof, which prevents the wagon hatch from opening to full height. But we figure there's a simple solution: Take the bike off the car -- which is the reason why we hauled it to the destination in the first place. No biggie.

Bonus: the rack makes it easier to find our car in crowded parking lots.
Old 12-09-13, 01:58 PM
veggie
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got the Sidewinder and love it so far. To everyone scared of clamping their boom tubes, the "clamp" isn't really a clamp, more of a pair of straps like you would use to secure the rear wheel on a normal roof rack tray. But that's not to say that it isn't secure, I have taken this on the highway before.

on my '83 civic:

Originally Posted by JeffandKathy
Bonus: the rack makes it easier to find our car in crowded parking lots.
My car is lower then most of the window lines of cars around here so my rack helps me find my car too.
Old 12-09-13, 02:20 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 390 Posts
One advantage of the Rockymounts is that it will work with a typical "euro style" factory rack:

OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-10-13, 09:15 PM
Bad1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
One advantage of the Rockymounts is that it will work with a typical "euro style" factory rack:

Nice ride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.