Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Strategy after losing the lead group on a climb?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 02:04 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts

I was just thinking about racing (I do that a few dozen times per day) and came up with a question.

In my only road race (other than the hill climb) I was dropped on a climb. ~15 minutes later I caught up with another dropped dude, and we took turns pulling, averaging much better speed. Let's say you get dropped on a climb with 1:00 remaining. Do you set your power to just what you could keep up solo for that hour, or ease up a bit and hope a buddy catches and work together, or do you drope the hamer and dial it up to 400 watts hoping to catch someone to work with?
Old 10-08-13, 02:14 PM
mattm
**** that

Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Just do whatever you can not to get dropped in the first place. Meaning, don't plan for how you're going to un-drop yourself; train so that you don't get dropped at all. (easier said than done of course)

Fwiw usually a group will slow down at some point, so if they are in sight then keep hammering and hope that either you're going faster than them or they'll slow down and you can get back on.

my race videos
Old 10-08-13, 02:14 PM
furiousferret

Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Interested to hear this as well since I get dropped weekly in our local hill repeat hammerfests....
Old 10-08-13, 02:27 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
When I get dropped my strategy is usually to do whatever I can to get as quickly as possible to a hamburger.
Old 10-08-13, 02:30 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Fwiw usually a group will slow down at some point, so if they are in sight then keep hammering and hope that either you're going faster than them or they'll slow down and you can get back on.
This. I will usually do everything that I can to get back on ASAP. It's easier to close a gap quickly and recover once back on then to close it slowly. If I'm dropped and can't make it back on my race is over anyway so I will explode myself fully trying to make it back. Usually if there is a downhill you can cover gaps quickly as long as you aren't afraid of taking corners quickly and pedaling all the way down.
Old 10-08-13, 02:31 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by gsteinb
When I get dropped my strategy is usually to do whatever I can to get as quickly as possible to a hamburger.
So your advice would be to bring a hamburger in my jersey pocket in case I get dropped?
Old 10-08-13, 02:44 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
I've experienced this all too often. My problem is that I'm too heavy to climb as fast as the fast guys. There are various strategies.

- Over the top of a climb a lot of riders blow up. It's because they start pedaling faster and your HR is linked to your cadence, especially if you're working super hard. If you're dropped then you need to increase speed as quickly as possible without blowing up. I find that shifting up aggressively as I hit the top of the hill helps keep my HR stable, i.e. I don't blow up. Then I try to increase my RPMs slowly as I build up speed after the hill.
- Another tactic is to sprint over the top to try and close up a biggish gap all at once. If there's a descent right after the climb you may be able to recover. When I'm fit it might take me 30-60 seconds to recover from an all out effort over the top of a hill. When I'm not fit it might take me a day Since climbing speeds tend to be lower, at least for most riders, doing a big anaerobic effort at the top may allow you to close a big gap. A great illustration of this is when Delgado attacks Roche in the 1987 Tour on some mountain stage. Delgado pulls out about a 50-55 second lead. Roche knew that he couldn't go harder but he could sprint. Therefore at 1k to go he put it in the big ring and started sprinting. He made it to the line and I think lost only 4 seconds to Delgado. When they cross the line Delgado is clawing his way to the finish and just as he gets there Roche comes rocketing around the corner and to the line. Incredible.

So despite all that you are still OTB. Now what?

Well, if the group is less than 10 seconds ahead, you need to chase. You need to know how to corner really well so that on any descent you can descend faster than the group. You need to know how to do a good aero tuck. You should have at least a taller rear wheel to give you some boost in speed as well as stability on the descents. If you want to push it then use a more aero wheel up front.

This is where you need to make a decision. Can you TT at 28 mph for 5 minutes? No? Well then you're not going to catch them. It takes a long time to bridge to a group going even 22-23 mph. I created a spreadsheet to see how long it would take to bridge a gap based on lead group and chase speeds. Basically you're either going to TT for a long, long time or you're going to go flat out for 1-2 minutes. In virtually all cases the "flat out" method will work better. You bridge hard, recover, and hope you don't get dropped again.

I go through some of those thoughts in the post here:
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...roup-ride.html
Old 10-08-13, 02:47 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drope da hamma and dial your guads up to 400W
Old 10-08-13, 02:52 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
made my day, thank you!
Old 10-08-13, 02:53 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best advice I can give is to climb within your limits, there is a reason Froome stares at his stem, it tells him his limits. If you ride within what you can do and get dropped the chances of you chasing to catch back on are much better that if you turn yourself inside out to stay with the group, burn every match you have then get dropped, you are done for the day. If you climb within your limits and get drop stay in that zone the when you crest hammer it to catch on. In the lower categories they will ease up as they crest the top, in the higher categories (i.e. p/1/2) we will drop the hammer to keep stragglers from joining back on. Though I am a bigger rider now (ie last year I rode at 180ish pounds) when getting ready years ago I was 156 and very dangerous on the climbs as I was not a true climber but could stay with anyone, when the road flattened out the lighter climbers were in big trouble so I learned to climb at tempo then attack once the flats arrived.
For all new riders to be an effective climber (notice I said effective not dangerous) you need to learn what your limits are and ride within them. Far too often I have had guys join for a group ride to see them blowup on the first serious climb owing to the fact they are turning themselves inside out to keep up rather than accept they are falling off, ride at temp then re-join at a re-group point (I am big on not leaving people behind).
Old 10-08-13, 02:55 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I usually start unwrapping my McDs right on the climb.
Old 10-08-13, 03:00 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
So your advice would be to bring a hamburger in my jersey pocket in case I get dropped?
real answer: depends.

try not to get dropped, meaning start at the front of the group so as you filter backwards you can climb a little slower and stick with the group. on our 20+ minute climbs, that won't really work for you, but at races where the climbs are short (2-3-5-7) minutes, an extra 20 seconds will help a lot.

Another part depends on which climb you're on. Can you make it up on the descent? Is it 5 climbers off the front and the pack will catch them on the flats, or is it 15 strong guys off the front who are going to stay away? If it's the latter, better work harder. If the prior, relax a little and let the pack help close the gap.

Etc, etc. You're very lucky to live where you do. All these climbs we have are good practice. Work on shedding some of that muscle you're carrying around and you'll fly up hills.
Old 10-08-13, 03:27 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by rkwaki
The best advice I can give is to climb within your limits, there is a reason Froome stares at his stem, it tells him his limits. If you ride within what you can do and get dropped the chances of you chasing to catch back on are much better that if you turn yourself inside out to stay with the group, burn every match you have then get dropped, you are done for the day. If you climb within your limits and get drop stay in that zone the when you crest hammer it to catch on. In the lower categories they will ease up as they crest the top, in the higher categories (i.e. p/1/2) we will drop the hammer to keep stragglers from joining back on. Though I am a bigger rider now (ie last year I rode at 180ish pounds) when getting ready years ago I was 156 and very dangerous on the climbs as I was not a true climber but could stay with anyone, when the road flattened out the lighter climbers were in big trouble so I learned to climb at tempo then attack once the flats arrived.
For all new riders to be an effective climber (notice I said effective not dangerous) you need to learn what your limits are and ride within them. Far too often I have had guys join for a group ride to see them blowup on the first serious climb owing to the fact they are turning themselves inside out to keep up rather than accept they are falling off, ride at temp then re-join at a re-group point (I am big on not leaving people behind).
Good to hear that, because I tend to climb like that. I do wonder though - why do so many start out extra hard at the base of a climb? To f*** with the rest of us mentally? I end up passing the ones that can't keep it up anyway.
Old 10-08-13, 03:30 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by Ygduf
real answer: depends.

try not to get dropped, meaning start at the front of the group so as you filter backwards you can climb a little slower and stick with the group. on our 20+ minute climbs, that won't really work for you, but at races where the climbs are short (2-3-5-7) minutes, an extra 20 seconds will help a lot.

Another part depends on which climb you're on. Can you make it up on the descent? Is it 5 climbers off the front and the pack will catch them on the flats, or is it 15 strong guys off the front who are going to stay away? If it's the latter, better work harder. If the prior, relax a little and let the pack help close the gap.

Etc, etc. You're very lucky to live where you do. All these climbs we have are good practice. Work on shedding some of that muscle you're carrying around and you'll fly up hills.
Not sure the wife would appreciate that advice.

I'm surprisingly stable in my weight though. 165 ± 2 lbs for years. I hit 175 back when I lifted 1 to 2 hours and ate my weight daily.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 10-08-13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 04:32 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
That was a cool video, but what struck me was that Sherwen had a bit of scouser in his voice back then (2:35 -- "cooming oop those lost few kilometers"). He's since cleaned up his accent.
Old 10-10-13, 01:36 PM
ovoleg