Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is the most collected "working man's" C&V name brand bike??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is the most collected "working man's" C&V name brand bike??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 12:23 PM
avzay66

Bikes: Fuji Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Dawes Atlantis - very nice bike with excellent workmanship and components (Suntour Cyclone Mk2, Full Reynolds 531). While it may have been marketed towards a "working man", it compares very positively to the higher end bikes of the same period. Wonder how much they went for originally.
Old 10-14-13, 01:17 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by grinningfool
Huffy !
An old friend and riding partner finished his 1st century on one.
He was strong and finally tore the welded BB out of it......Replaced it with a Schwinn Super Sport.

I started riding a Schwinn Varsity when I stopped smoking at 27 years but I don't consider Varsity or a Huffy as a collectible bike just yet. A real collectible would be a lugged chrome moly mid range bike that was more affordable and Schwinn was the established dealer in my Texas panhandle hometown with a Trek dealer beginning to make some inroads by the time I moved to Dallas in the mid '80s. The Schwinn dealer also sold Raleighs and Univegas but the Schwinn Super Sport was the overwhelming choice, in my neighborhood, for someone who rode a lot of brisk miles.

Last edited by Zinger; 10-14-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 02:13 PM
Grand Bois

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Point taken. Of course I was posting partly in geste, but it is really a question of the social and economic environment, isn't it? In none of the social environments I've ever experienced is the term "working man's bike" applicable at all. Student's bike, recreational cyclist's bike, child's bike, yes. But the working man did not ride a bike. Not for fun, not for utility. There weren't no such animal. None.

Now if the term means a bike a working man could afford, that's a different beast. It means an inexpensive one. Someone might collect Schwinn Varsities the way someone would collect VW Beetles, i.e. for their ubiquity, for how they represented a certain portion of the bike/car culture in their day, for their sheer indestructibility, but not for performance per se. Someone might ride one with pride because he/she owned it for 30 years or because it was dad's. But that's not collecting.

Anyway, the examples you mentioned are certainly outside my experience from when that might have mattered to me. I've always ridden what I could afford, and now I'm fortunate enough to be able to ride what seems appropriate for the situation (such as my UO8 behind me at my desk as I type this). I suspect I am far from the norm. I sure am here at work. There ain't no other working men or women riding bikes here.

Like the white one behind me at my desk. It got me here, and will take me home again, or at least back to the train station, when the working day is done.
I'm just a working man, but I don't understand your use of the word geste.
Old 10-14-13, 07:11 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Liked 658 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I'm just a working man, but I don't understand your use of the word geste.
That's because I should have typed "jest". I can tpye but I cant always spel. Or pick the write word.
Old 10-14-13, 08:39 PM
iab

Liked 3,955 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Point taken. Of course I was posting partly in geste, but it is really a question of the social and economic environment, isn't it? In none of the social environments I've ever experienced is the term "working man's bike" applicable at all. Student's bike, recreational cyclist's bike, child's bike, yes. But the working man did not ride a bike. Not for fun, not for utility. There weren't no such animal. None.
Well, if you qualify it as narrow as "social environments I've ever experienced", you are correct.

But from post World War 1 to about 1950 in Europe, almost all working men rode bikes. They certainly weren't driving cars. And as a matter of fact, a bicycle was a means for them to escape the working man's life in the mines, fields and factories. It is why cycling is loved so in Europe, the working man could escape that life with something as simple as a bike.
Old 10-14-13, 08:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,645 Times in 1,535 Posts
I'd bet anything that in the US, the three most collected brands are Schwinn, Raleigh, and Peugeot, because of the volume of bicycles that were in this market.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-15-13, 01:03 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by ricortes

From 1980 and maybe a bit earlier, anything Japanese. Fuji, Sekai, Bridgestone, it was almost like the Japanese didn't know how to make a bad frame. Unfortunately they did know how to bolt a lot of crappy parts on to them to hit a price point.
That's true at the very bottom of the market but if you were serious enough about cycling to be willing to put a $500 bike on layaway you got something like Shimano 600 or some of the better Suntour components which performed very well for the money they cost.

The lugged steel Nashbar bike that I bought for my sister for under $300 in about '85 would be typical of the decent chrome moly frame with cheaper components.

Last edited by Zinger; 10-15-13 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 02:15 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Yeah the Nashbar was handy for a mail order birthday gift to a different city but I thought it a decent entry level bike comparable to similarly priced LBS bikes. Don't know that I'd sink money into one though.

The Univega with the Shimano 600 group was the Gran Rally and the Schwinn would have been the Super Sport. Both went for about $500 in the '80s.

If I were looking for a decent low cost frame to upgrade one of the Japanese ones mentioned might be good and I'd certainly consider the Schwinn Le Tours after about '85 or so because they got a little upgraded in the frame materials right about then.....and competition from the Japanese imports before then is the reason why.

Last edited by Zinger; 10-15-13 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 05:46 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
I hit adolescence in the mid-to-late bike boom. The most common bikes I saw among 10-speeds were the Peugeot UO-8 and the Raleigh Grand Prix. Sure, there were Schwinns as well. The colorful electroforged Varsity and Continental.

My brother, 5 years my senior, was a working man who bicycle commuted for years. His bike: a deep red Columbia 3-speed with a stock matress saddle and chrome rear baskets.

Fast forward 40 years, and I'm riding a Fuji S-10S as a general purpose bike, which I describe to my friends and acquaintenances as an "everyman's bike". Sure the finish and parts are just slightly better than on the Peugeot or Raleigh, but it represents what would've still been accessible to every man, at least.
Old 10-15-13, 06:16 AM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Treks and Cannondale became my choice. Made in the US and still able to find and collect them without a huge cash outlay.
Old 10-15-13, 06:20 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,745 Times in 956 Posts
I'm still quite confused as to the concept of this thread.

I work.

I'm a man.

I wish to collect a custom built Ellis tourer.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-15-13, 06:32 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 352 Times in 177 Posts
I don't really get it either...

Are we talking about bikes that were blue collar and ridden by the working man "in olden times", or do we mean what bikes does today's working man collect?
Old 10-15-13, 06:38 AM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Topic-
Originally Posted by squatchy
So this thread sort of went in a different direction than what I had originally started it for. By a "working mans" bike,,,, what I meant to say is bikes that regular people with middle incomes could save to afford to buy to be ridden or collected.
I guess I could/should of asked "what bikes are most desireable to collect" by regular readers of C&V
Old 10-15-13, 06:59 AM
shoota 

Liked 699 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by dvsjes28
I'm a working man and I have 2 Trek's
This.
Old 10-15-13, 08:11 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 352 Times in 177 Posts
A regular person with a middle income could afford a Paramount, Raleigh Professional or Cinelli SC if he chose to prioritize it...that's the beauty of bikes...they don't cost what a car costs.

As far as what bikes most of us collect...it's varied across eras, countries, and style of bike. The most popular are probably Paramounts, Carlton Raleighs, PX-10s and Colnagos. Raleigh Sports/Superbs have a definite following.
Old 10-15-13, 12:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by that_guy_zach
Topic-
Originally Posted by squatchy
So this thread sort of went in a different direction than what I had originally started it for. By a "working mans" bike,,,, what I meant to say is bikes that regular people with middle incomes could save to afford to buy to be ridden or collected.
I guess I could/should of asked "what bikes are most desireable to collect" by regular readers of C&V
Which doesn't really help (not your fault). The first part asked what "regular middle-income people" might have wanted (which makes sense, although it's not clear whether he's talking about then or now.) The last sentence discards that line of thinking and asks "what do you really want", and begs the question of which of us are the "regular readers" as opposed to... ?

Squatchy is having a tough time relating to the common man here.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-15-13, 01:52 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Charlie Chaplin defined the "working man" as such back in the 30's in his famous movie "Modern Times"......
And I think the definition kinda stuck in the modern world's psyche........
So,........what might a guy like the main character in the movie have in his garage and ride??....

Last edited by Chombi; 10-15-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 02:56 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by dvsjes28
I'm a working man and I have 2 Trek's
And that describes me. Imron paint and good value in a U.S. made bike. I've bought 3 road bikes from a LBS in the '80s, two of them Treks and all three paid off on layaway.
Old 10-15-13, 03:01 PM
Bandera
~>~

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
=Chombi;16163221what might a guy like the main character in the movie have in his garage and ride??....
Most likely he had no garage as only the affluent had a special storage building for an automobile.
A streetcar ride if an urban industrial worker in 1936 when Modern Times was filmed.

-Bandera
Old 10-15-13, 03:05 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Treks were generally more expensive than most Peugeots and Motobecanes in the 80's, so I looked to them as "rich kid's" bikes when I was in college.....
Old 10-15-13, 03:09 PM
Chombi

Originally Posted by Bandera
Most likely he had no garage as only the affluent had a special storage building for an automobile.
A streetcar ride if an urban industrial worker in 1936 when Modern Times was filmed.

-Bandera
Your're right, the most those guys might have had for a separate structure from their living quarters might be an outhouse, out back..... I guess the bike, if they had one, went against the rail on the front stoop then....
Old 10-15-13, 04:25 PM
squatchy
squatchy

Bikes: S-works Roubaix, S-works Tarmac, Gary Fisher Promethius, Tommasini Competion, Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Which doesn't really help (not your fault). The first part asked what "regular middle-income people" might have wanted (which makes sense, although it's not clear whether he's talking about then or now.) The last sentence discards that line of thinking and asks "what do you really want", and begs the question of which of us are the "regular readers" as opposed to... ?

Squatchy is having a tough time relating to the common man here.
Your post doesn't make any sense Scott. "Then or now"?. Did guys back in the day read this forum. "reagular readers". Would someone who doesn't even come here to read these threads reply?

Seems to me you have a hard time reading a working mans thread!
Old 10-15-13, 06:17 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by Chombi
Treks were generally more expensive than most Peugeots and Motobecanes in the 80's, so I looked to them as "rich kid's" bikes when I was in college.....
If you were in an urban place with those dealers that was probably true. Those brands were short on the ground in Amarillo Texas though. And I did pay about $500 (on layaway) for a new Trek 970 road frameset that was a year old in 1984. Took me another year just to get all the parts for it. The new 500 I bought was also a year old in '87 so I got a "Fuji" kind of price on it just so the dealer could get it off the floor.

But they were a lot more affordable than the Campy equipped Italians were and that's what we saw when we rode with the guys from the other side of town. Nowadays they make a good collectible for someone on a budget too.
Old 10-15-13, 06:29 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Well, if you qualify it as narrow as "social environments I've ever experienced", you are correct.

But from post World War 1 to about 1950 in Europe, almost all working men rode bikes. They certainly weren't driving cars. And as a matter of fact, a bicycle was a means for them to escape the working man's life in the mines, fields and factories. It is why cycling is loved so in Europe, the working man could escape that life with something as simple as a bike.
Agree with most of this but for post WW2, not sure the bike was as beloved in Europe. The popularity of bikes was all about economics. Factories were destroyed and raw material was most difficult to attain. Many surely would have loved a car or truck but in Italy back then a compact car (for today comparison cost- ex: $15,000) accounting for inflation, it would be like a car owner paying $150,000. Having a bike was the working mans primary and for many the only means of transportation. The bike was so important that theft of one in Italy meant for some serious consequences. Quite like the days in early America and horse thieves.

Other: Some others here mentioned old Fuji's. Most certainly met my criteria as a working mans bike. You might laugh but for awhile I was turning wrenches on tractors and commute 40 miles round trip per day. In 1980 or 81 purchased a one year old 'used' S12S Ltd for ......... $400! That was a lot of dough for me back then.
Old 10-15-13, 08:33 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Liked 1,102 Times in 562 Posts
Many working men and women ride these: https://www.worksmancycles.com/
Some people collect them, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.