Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

LCF 101 exam questions...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

LCF 101 exam questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 06:36 PM
rockmom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also take a longer lease that allows for subletting. Or you can sublet someone else's apartment. Or if you are planning to live there long term, go ahead and run out the 12 month lease and take your time looking for more permanent place.

In the United States, your mail can be forwarded for up to year after your change of address according the the USPS.

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward-mail.htm
Old 10-23-13, 05:23 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
1. How do you get a large pizza and a dozen beer home on your bike?
Beverages in my Wald Giant basket, pizzas bungeed on top. This way I can keep an eye on them and make sure no one tries to steal my bounty. Also, warm pizza smell wafting towards me.

2. You've bought your SO some roses... Describe in less than 50 words how you would get them to him/her.
Either in the panniers with the tops sticking out, or laying gently in the basket.

3. You were about to leave work when the tornado sirens sounds. What is the best course of action?
I'm going to change this to the tsunami siren we had at the town where I used to live. Because then the best course of action was to beat cheeks for home, as my apartment complex was on a small hill and the hospital where I worked was right next to the beach.

4. You've met an individual and would like to ask them to a date-type function (dinner, the movies, a pub crawl...). However, this individual has never ridden a bike. What would you do?
Maybe it's just because I'm probably younger than most people here, but the assumption that people will pick up a person they barely know for a first date seems REALLY weird to me. I don't know any of my age-group friends who would do that. They meet at the location and have their date, then go their separate ways. Someone coming to pick the other person up seems like the next step to a serious relationship.

5. A work colleague challenges you on the veracity of climate change and suggests you are an eco-ninny. How would you respond?
"Hmmm. <change subject>"
It's just not worth it to try, I've found. I've got better things to do.
Old 10-23-13, 06:37 AM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vegan teetotaler. If I'm going to a party I'll just bring a bottle of wine.

2. You've bought your SO some roses... Describe in less than 50 words how you would get them to him/her.
I grow my own flowers, but I'd just cut a 2-liter in half throw the flowers in there and then tape it shut and throw it in my backpack

3. You were about to leave work when the tornado sirens sounds. What is the best course of action?
Not living in the midwest. Alternatively stay at work.
4. You've met an individual and would like to ask them to a date-type function (dinner, the movies, a pub crawl...). However, this individual has never ridden a bike. What would you do?
Ask them out. Not sure how this matters.
5. A work colleague challenges you on the veracity of climate change and suggests you are an eco-ninny. How would you respond?
Wonder why they want to talk about politics and agree that I'm an eco ninny.
Old 10-23-13, 03:14 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by plustax
I grow my own flowers, but I'd just cut a 2-liter in half throw the flowers in there and then tape it shut and throw it in my backpack
Now that is an "elegant" solution.

As for the last question, last night a co-worker spent about an hour illuminating me on how the Illuminatti are co-opting rap singers as part of their plot to take over the world. Still, he made more sense than the climate change denialists!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-23-13, 03:59 PM
plustax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're telling me they aren't?
Old 10-23-13, 05:15 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
Maybe it's just because I'm probably younger than most people here, but the assumption that people will pick up a person they barely know for a first date seems REALLY weird to me. I don't know any of my age-group friends who would do that. They meet at the location and have their date, then go their separate ways. Someone coming to pick the other person up seems like the next step to a serious relationship.
The question never mentioned anything about picking them up. That'd be the last thing you'd think of unless you had a Yuba....

Do younger folks just show up at a location? I guess that would solve the problem. They could just text each other if one of them was late.
Old 10-23-13, 05:42 PM
plustax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah haha. I don't think I've ever swung by someones house before going out to do whatever we're gonna do.

The house is for afterwards
Old 10-23-13, 10:41 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure it's an age thing. I'm approaching 60 and I always made it a practice to meet a date at the destination. As a woman, I never liked the idea of telling someone I barely knew where I lived, especially if my date happened to be a man. And I learned through experience that it was really useful to have the means to GTFO on my own if the date went poorly. Besides that, it always seemed to me that providing my own transportation (and paying my own way) was a signal that I had no interest in being dependent on someone else. It did weed out a few individuals who couldn't quite handle this.

I often would offer people a ride home after going out though, since it was usually the case that I had a car and they didn't. These days I only have bikes, so any dates would have to transport themselves.
Old 10-24-13, 05:24 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ro-monster
I'm not sure it's an age thing. I'm approaching 60 and I always made it a practice to meet a date at the destination. As a woman, I never liked the idea of telling someone I barely knew where I lived, especially if my date happened to be a man. And I learned through experience that it was really useful to have the means to GTFO on my own if the date went poorly. Besides that, it always seemed to me that providing my own transportation (and paying my own way) was a signal that I had no interest in being dependent on someone else. It did weed out a few individuals who couldn't quite handle this.

I often would offer people a ride home after going out though, since it was usually the case that I had a car and they didn't. These days I only have bikes, so any dates would have to transport themselves.
I think it is partially age related, however I think it has more to do with the people involved and the relationship. When I was in high school (long time ago) it was expected that you would pick the young lady up at her house, primarily so the parents could size you up and determine your intentions. I went on many a date where we rode bicycles, even when I could drive, probably because it was easier than hassling mom or dad for the car keys. Funny thing is I ran across one lady that I dated the other day in the grocery store (been 38 years since we dated :eek) we had gone our separate ways after high school. I am still cycling and while definitely not nearly as skinny as I was in school I am still in decent shape, unfortunately time has not been as kind to her.

If I were dating today I suspect it would be meeting someone somewhere rather than picking them up at home, but for some strange reason I think my wife might object to me "dating" anyone else.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-24-13, 08:35 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Times have changed. I guess younger people are more distrustful. When one person picks up the other, it increases the time they can spend together and makes for a car-lite evening. In the beginning of ones dating life, it also provides an opportunity for the folks to meet the boy and get a chance to know him. I never felt that somehow, picking someone up for a date implied anything serious. No more than giving anyone a ride.

But that's okay. When I do a date, odds are that the women I date are playing by the same rules as I do, since they are about my age. And first dates were rarely with someone you "barely know". Usually, you have had a number of chances to get to know the person before in group settings, at a friends house, on a group trip.

The only times you would date cold, with a person you don't know well, was if you are doing dating via the dating newspapers, or online dating. And there, hopefully you spend a while exchanging communications to get to know each other. And yes, when dating cold like that, then you both drive to the appointed place and meet there.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 10-24-13 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-24-13, 10:08 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm, I guess there was the whole meeting the parents thing for most people, which would set up the habit of picking someone up. I never experienced that. My own parents would have expected me to be capable of sizing people up without their help. And all through high school I was in a relationship with someone I had known since we were kids, so I didn't date until I was well into adulthood.

But most of the dates I've had in my life were of the dating cold variety. They were my opportunity to get to know the person; I seldom did that beforehand.
Old 10-24-13, 10:50 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The question never mentioned anything about picking them up.
Mostly it was on my mind because whenever there's an article about people my age driving less, the comments are full of "OMG BUT HOW TO THEY DATE?!?!?!" which gets old. I mean, the majority of humans on the planet throughout history have managed to procreate without the aid of a personal automobile, so I think we'll muddle along somehow.

Do younger folks just show up at a location? I guess that would solve the problem. They could just text each other if one of them was late.
Pretty much. But when the relationship gets more serious, actual "dates" peter out and you just spend more and more time with the person. I mean, on special occasions like Valentines day or an anniversary you might do something special. Of course, this is all just from my experience and what my group of friends tend to do. YMMV.
Old 10-24-13, 01:51 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Back in the day, the automobile was also where most dating relationships were consummated. Parental homes and dorm rooms were out of the question for sex, so the only question left was, "Front seat or back?" Being carfree in that era had some definite drawbacks!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-25-13, 09:04 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Any other questions? Answers? Cliff notes?
1. Rack & panniers - no problem
2. In a pannier - gently! I've done this *
3. Pull up the radar, and decide to wait it out, or if it's safe to continue (I usually wait - I hate storm winds)
4. Xtracycle - let them be a passenger. I did this with my girlfriend early on - then she got her own bike, now we own a tandem
5. Shrug. You can't fix stupid.

* They weren't roses, but a variety of flowers. They handled the short trip from the florist with no issue.

Questions?

Q: How do you move across town?
A: Invite a dozen cyclists with trailers and cargo bikes. Supply food.

Q: How do you give away a heavy wooden kitchen table to your car-free daughter?
A: With a lot of bungee cords, like this.

Q: How do you take a sick dog to the vet:
A: Trailers are great for this, like this.

Q: What do you do when you're hosting some friends out of town, and they're not renting a car?
A: Have spare bikes.
Old 10-25-13, 09:39 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by dcrowell
1. Rack & panniers - no problem
2. In a pannier - gently! I've done this *
3. Pull up the radar, and decide to wait it out, or if it's safe to continue (I usually wait - I hate storm winds)
4. Xtracycle - let them be a passenger. I did this with my girlfriend early on - then she got her own bike, now we own a tandem
5. Shrug. You can't fix stupid.

* They weren't roses, but a variety of flowers. They handled the short trip from the florist with no issue.

Questions?

A: Invite a dozen cyclists with trailers and cargo bikes. Supply food.

A: With a lot of bungee cords, like this.

A: Trailers are great for this, like this.

Q: What do you do when you're hosting some friends out of town, and they're not renting a car?
A: Have spare bikes.
Wow, you are an awesome utility rider!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-25-13, 06:45 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Wow, you are an awesome utility rider!
Second that.

Old 10-26-13, 08:43 AM
kookaburra1701

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
I hire a team of burly roustabouts and a Uhaul.

I gave away a heavy solid wood desk by dragging it out onto my porch and putting up a "free to good home" sign. It was gone in an hour. If that hadn't worked I would have put it on my dolly and taken it down the street to the local charity shop.

My vet has a mobile clinic in a sprinter van. She can even perform minor surgery in there, if my cat needed more, I'd take a taxi. I do have a cat carrier back pack, and the bike path that goes by my apartment also goes by my other vet's clinic.

We'll either walk, or I'll get them a $10 book of buss passes and a transit map. But most of my friends have their own bikes and the whole reason they're staying with me is to get an early start on some nice long road rides.
Old 06-14-15, 06:01 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
There is a thread going just now asking us to brainstorm for topics, and this is along the lines of some of the suggested topics. So I thought I would bump it to get it going again.

Let's keep talking about how we haul unusual items. Have you had to carry anything interesting lately?