Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gel Defender

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gel Defender

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 02:52 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gel Defender

Thoughts on this product for cycling. Claims to reduce impact with this thing on. Haven't seen this discuss on here before. Looks interesting to me. It's relatively cheap comparing to all the other stuff in cycling.

https://www.geldefender.com/home.html
Old 10-28-13, 03:14 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Can't speak of how effective it is but it looks like it would be very under ventilated for cycling and quite hot.
Old 10-28-13, 03:20 PM
jimc101

Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Looks great for a sport where you expect to take a hit, if you look at all their site, all the sports they show already use a hardshell helmet, for cycling, do you really go out looking to come off and impact your head?
Old 10-28-13, 03:53 PM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Looks great for a sport where you expect to take a hit, if you look at all their site, all the sports they show already use a hardshell helmet, for cycling, do you really go out looking to come off and impact your head?
I'm not sure I follow your logic. I wear a helmet on the bike because I expect to take a hit. I'm not looking to, and try to avoid it, but I expect it will happen. If I didn't expect it would happen, I wouldn't wear a helmet.
Old 10-28-13, 03:56 PM
cleansheet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doubt it. It still doesn't prevent the brain from moving in the skull. Figure out a way to de-accelarate the brain, and you win.
Old 10-28-13, 04:07 PM
jimc101

Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I'm not sure I follow your logic. I wear a helmet on the bike because I expect to take a hit. I'm not looking to, and try to avoid it, but I expect it will happen. If I didn't expect it would happen, I wouldn't wear a helmet.
What I meant was, looking a the sports shown on the site, these are ones where getting hit, having a impact is part of the sport on a regular basis, Football (not soccer), baseball & skateboarding, all these use hardshell helmets, and getting hit in the head will at some point happen.

For cycling, apart from BMX and DH MTB, most helmets are expanded polystyrene with an in-mould plastic outer, designed to break, absorbing impact in a crash, we also don't go out on a ride expecting to have an impact or to crash. Crashes do happen, but infrequently, my last on the road which broke my helmet / trip in an ambulance was about 5 years ago 25000 miles ago, yes crashes do happen, but thankfully not frequently. Not sure I would be riding if I expected to get hit in the head regularly, or that many others would
Old 10-28-13, 04:51 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
What I meant was, looking a the sports shown on the site, these are ones where getting hit, having a impact is part of the sport on a regular basis, Football (not soccer), baseball & skateboarding, all these use hardshell helmets, and getting hit in the head will at some point happen.

For cycling, apart from BMX and DH MTB, most helmets are expanded polystyrene with an in-mould plastic outer, designed to break, absorbing impact in a crash, we also don't go out on a ride expecting to have an impact or to crash. Crashes do happen, but infrequently, my last on the road which broke my helmet / trip in an ambulance was about 5 years ago 25000 miles ago, yes crashes do happen, but thankfully not frequently. Not sure I would be riding if I expected to get hit in the head regularly, or that many others would
Well, I think the point is when it does happen, we try to use anything we can to decrease the impact of the collision. You're right that some other sports might benefit it more due to frequent head contact (hockey, football, etc) but I thing it could be very beneficial in a cycling accident that involves head trauma. Assuming that their data is true. I see enough patients that come in with head trauma here in the hospital. Usually from car vs bike. When a car hit you at 50 mph, there not many things that can save you at that point but it could make a big difference at lower speed impact.

About the cooling issue, they do have data for that aspect as well.
Old 10-28-13, 06:36 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by uncrx2003
About the cooling issue, they do have data for that aspect as well.
Their cooling data is a worthless steaming pile of poo for cycling. situation they check is with a foam head in an exterior oven and look at the temperature rise of the foam head. They show that the foam head stays cooler, or effectively that the barrier does a good job insulating EXTERIOR heat sources.

In cycling, the situation is completely reversed. Your head is radiating a huge amount of heat which is getting transferred to the cooler outside air. The best way to imagine the rest is to completely reverse the results, and you might expect a 30+ deg temperature rise. Needless to say, it looks about ideal on a cold winter day.

Their impact results for cycling aren't super compelling either. As other people have pointed out, cycling is a little different in that you're looking at singular impacts compared with repetitive type impacts.
Old 10-28-13, 07:10 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cleansheet
Doubt it. It still doesn't prevent the brain from moving in the skull. Figure out a way to de-accelarate the brain, and you win.
You win the thread.
Old 10-28-13, 07:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,191 Times in 4,256 Posts
I thought, from the title, that this would be an op-ed in favor of GU.