Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How much patina?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How much patina?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 09:32 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How much patina?

Yesterday at the bike co-op we had an ancient Gitane with paint in the most terrible condition you can imagine. No rust, but the top tube paint had faded in various spots. Bare metal on the seat and chain stay.

We all immediately concluded that the bike needed paint.

But here's the thing. It had no rust and it had some of the most unusual stickers. A deal sticker. Three bike licenses that kind of told us the whole story of the bike.

In thinking it over, I'd probably want that bike to stay as is...and maybe just clear over the faded colors. It'd be a great conversation piece and I'm pretty sure low on the totem pole for any bike thief.

Have you ever done anything like this?
Old 11-10-13, 09:40 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
There is no "totem pole" for thiefs. It's a crime of opportunity. Just ride it and don't miss it if it gets stolen. That goes for any bike, which is easier said than done i know
Old 11-10-13, 10:30 PM
flash2070

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't but I would keep it as is! Is it light? If it is, then maybe 531, which you know it's high end! I wouldn't repaint, just clean it, overhaul it, and ride it. All the best!

Flash
Old 11-10-13, 10:35 PM
bloom87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love patina i think it's the most beautiful thing on a vintage bike !
Old 11-10-13, 11:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7392 Post(s)
Liked 2,555 Times in 1,486 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
There is no "totem pole" for thiefs. It's a crime of opportunity. Just ride it and don't miss it if it gets stolen. That goes for any bike, which is easier said than done i know
That's the cleverest thing I've read all day. You are a wise and witty person.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-11-13, 07:54 AM
rando_couche

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by bloom87
i love patina i think it's the most beautiful thing on a vintage bike !
You mean I'm not the only one??? Those "better than new" resto's, be they bike, car or whatever, just leave me cold.

SP
OC, OR
Old 11-11-13, 09:25 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 96 Posts
Repaints generally just look wrong. Love it for what it is....
Old 11-11-13, 12:06 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Repaints generally just look wrong. Love it for what it is....
I've seen frames that really needed re-painting, particularly where there's a lot of rust forming. However, when there's no rust, you lose a lot of character.

Normally, I use clear nail polish for minor bare metal spots.

Not sure what I would do with this bike as there are quite a few bare spots. Is there a clear finish in a rattle can?
Old 11-11-13, 04:47 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I've seen frames that really needed re-painting, particularly where there's a lot of rust forming. However, when there's no rust, you lose a lot of character.

Normally, I use clear nail polish for minor bare metal spots.

Not sure what I would do with this bike as there are quite a few bare spots. Is there a clear finish in a rattle can?
A lot of "traditional" hot rodders are into patina, rather than repaint a weathered original paint job on a vintage hot rod they clean it and then shoot a coat of clear over it to preserve it. When I find the right C & V bike that's my plan. Clean, detail and clear coat but no paint touch up or repainting. I love the look myself. Some poseurs have even gone to the extreme of faking patina, not considered cool among the hardcore though...........

To answer your question, there are ALL kinds of rattle can clears.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 11-11-13 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 05:57 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3034 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 1,433 Posts
A little bare metal is nothing. One of my bikes is missing 40% of its finish. Apply some car wax and it is good to go.
Old 11-12-13, 06:17 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Patina .vs. Rust.

When I'm buying a bike I tell the seller it is Rust.
When I'm selling a bike I tell the buyer it is Patina.
Old 11-12-13, 07:51 AM
Bruce Enns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I believe the word "Patina" is often used to sugar coat blatant abuse and neglect. IMHO there is nothing attractive or desirable about the latter.

Last edited by Bruce Enns; 11-12-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-12-13, 09:21 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Good point Bruce. I think the term is often misunderstood, or mis-used. The main definition in the dictionary usually refers to the oxide coating that develops, or is applied to metals, especially bronze and brass. But I think the more general definition is more applicable here:

b : a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use

And that doesn't count most of which is considered "patina" on bikes being sold, IMO. But, beautiful is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Old 11-12-13, 09:25 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5901 Post(s)
Liked 3,518 Times in 2,099 Posts
This is going to be your 2d Gitane Gerv, that's quite the collection. You need to post some pics.
Old 11-12-13, 09:30 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Yesterday at the bike co-op we had an ancient Gitane with paint in the most terrible condition you can imagine. No rust, but the top tube paint had faded in various spots. Bare metal on the seat and chain stay.
BTW, did you acquire the bike?

My personal opinion is that it is OK to paint a bike. Certain bikes. But I much prefer original, of course. You say "ancient" Gitane. How ancient?
Whether or not to refinish it depends a lot on its rarity, to me.
Old 11-12-13, 10:40 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 2,233 Times in 1,113 Posts
This is one of the topics of consternation for me, so this discussion is of interest!
I agree with both viewpoints but I think the criteria for each view is the subject. I have a Colnago from 1983, + or – a year. It is not a Super but looks the same except the chrome on the frame and a sticker that barely managed to stay on the TT with the word “Superissimo”. I haven’t seen very many discussions specifically with the Superissimo model and don’t really know how it differs from the Super other than the chrome treatment. Is it rare? Maybe, maybe not. I have seen “Supers” having Chrome forks but not any on the frame or just on the stays, never on the HT and lugs. Mine has it on the head tube and lugs, chain stays and fork (painted legs but not DO;s or crown).

What does this have to do with Patina? Well the paint is beaten up as opposed to worn. What I mean is that the bike was carried on a car carrier or repeated placed on or against something that removed the paint on the seat stays just below the bridge. In addition, the paint and decals are “peppered” with nicks. I suspect it may have seen a lot of miles on the back of a car being hauled somewhere and the road debris, small rocks pebbles or other material, “rained” on the frame. Some liquid dripped on the fork crown and ran onto the paint below which discolored and came off during the Oxalic acid bath to clean up the rust. The only decal not damaged is the Campagnolo one between the shift levers and the LBS sticker on the ST just above the BB. It looks like it was treated as a tool as opposed to a center piece!
There are plenty of Colnago’s and many Supers. They are always showing up on the “bay”. I found mine on CL and was located 50 miles up the Columbia River from Portland (Hood River)!

I debated about repaint. They look so good afterward. The downside is that when a frame and fork are refinished, the components look like sh… Since the groupo is Super Record of the era, NOS replacement parts are out of this guy’s scope of financial justification. Oh yeah, I love riding the thing even with all its period parts!

So for me, restoration is not justifiable and there are plenty of examples found on threads in this forum that are far better looking bikes than mine. I enjoy it for what it is including its unknown history as evidenced by its appearance and condition. Clear coat? Nah, why? To me it is equivalent to restoration (preservation). I will likely add my own history over time. Will I sell it? Not likely. My daughter is interested in having it after I am done with it.

Now my 1984 Trek 610 is an entirely different story. It was rattle canned, had rust under the paint and all the parts were abused either with environmental exposure (pitted AL), misuse (bent RD cage) or damaged from using the wrong tools (bearing puller to remove the cranks). The only two components that will survive will be the HS and BB, maybe. Everything else is junk. Even the frame was drewed of the eyelets. I call it the PaTrek 650 as Frank gets too much credit (frankenbike), the frame is a mix of specs (added braze-ons) between a 610 and 660 with replacement components equivalent to the 660. Frame color will be BRG.
Old 11-12-13, 12:49 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
BTW, did you acquire the bike?

My personal opinion is that it is OK to paint a bike. Certain bikes. But I much prefer original, of course. You say "ancient" Gitane. How ancient?
Whether or not to refinish it depends a lot on its rarity, to me.
It's probably an early 70s Gitane. Alloy rims with Normandy competition hubs. Delrin Simplex derailleurs. Indeterminate tubing. Simplex dropouts, but no derailleurs hanger. [Edit: and a lovely Sugino Mighty crank]

I'd be all over it, but it's a 59 or 60cm... normally too big for me... but French frames often have those lower BB shells. so it might just work.

My main interest was to keep the bike from being stripped and the frame recycled. Luckily the manager at the shop thought it was a keeper too.

Last edited by gerv; 11-12-13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 01:03 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This is going to be your 2d Gitane Gerv, that's quite the collection. You need to post some pics.
I have a Mercier and Peugeot. And neither has the fine patina of this one. I'll try to get some photos... perhaps you might know some tall, local francophile.
Old 11-12-13, 02:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5901 Post(s)
Liked 3,518 Times in 2,099 Posts
I have a Mercier and Peugeot. And neither has the fine patina of this one. I'll try to get some photos... perhaps you might know some tall, local francophile.
Too big for me but it sounds like a cool bike for the right person. But it does sound like you need a 3d French bike, n'est ce pas?
Old 11-12-13, 02:38 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 2,233 Times in 1,113 Posts
A competitor to the UO-8? My size but too far away.
Old 11-12-13, 03:38 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 568 Posts
Mmmmmm...patina.

Old 11-12-13, 04:04 PM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing wrong either way in my book.......my own criteria is to look at what isthere, how rare is it and what shape is it really in. As an example, I have a couple of bikes picked up in Italy on the cheap, and both have seen several very cheap repaints....I mean, applied poorly with a brush cheap...soooo....the good news is that it probably saved these frames from the ravages of the environment, but they look really bad, so they are being stripped and repainted. all of the components will be either cleaned and polished or replaced as needed.
Frankly, I see no other way to make these into acceptable looking rides.

On the other hand, I have a few that have the usual wear n tear on them, but nothing terrible and still wearing their original paint, so they get cleaned and waxed...that's it. I would call those as bikes with "patina" ....

I am a firm believer in the idea that if it's your bike, do what makes you happiest with it and don't worry what others think about it. The only time it really matters if at all, is if you are planning to sell it...then you may want to consider the impact to your potential market audience and the perceived affect on the valuation of said bicycle.

Enjoy
Joe
Old 11-12-13, 04:45 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by JPZ66
...................I have a few that have the usual wear n tear on them, but nothing terrible and still wearing their original paint, so they get cleaned and waxed...that's it. I would call those as bikes with "patina" ....
Yes, that is my definition of "patina" as well, normal aging and wear NOT abuse and neglect.
Old 11-12-13, 05:29 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 2,099 Times in 1,103 Posts
A couple guys paused and spent maybe five minutes looking at, inspecting, and talking about (but not touching) my heavily patina laden Grand Jubile a couple days ago, outside the restaurant where I was eating lunch. It rides beautifully but is pretty rough looking. It's my commuter, and even the newish cloth tape has disintegrated from a summer of sunlight. If it had been repainted - and it could look beautiful - their interest would not have meant so much.

To me, mechanically sound but showing evidence of use is a beautiful thing. But it's your bike, so it's your choice.
Old 11-12-13, 05:50 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I do a fair amount of recreational frame hunting on ebay. (Hey, it keeps me from going nuts at work!) Whenever I see a repainted frame claiming to be such-and-such tubing or an unpainted frame that "lost its decals", I become skeptical. Sure it might be valid and perhaps if I knew enough about that brand I could spot a fake. But perhaps not. I sure wouldn't pay many hundreds on a frame I haven't seen in person unless I have many reasons to trust that it is what it claims to be. Come to think of it, I've never spent many hundreds on a frame anyway, so never mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.