Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Record 10sp bearing replacement question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 10:06 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had this campy 10sp Record group on one of my bikes for about 5 years now. The bottom bracket feels like it is grinding big time when I turn the pedals. I have isolated it by a process of elimination to the bearings. Last night I took it all apart and the bearings feel like grinding sand. I degreased and cleaned the heck out of it and re-lubed heavily with white lighting grease. Same for the cups. I put it all back together and it feels so much smoother, but nowhere near as smooth as my SR 11sp bottom bracket bearings (ceramic?) on my other bike.

I would like to replace the bearings on the 10sp with SR ceramic bearings. So, do I simply removed the cups from Record and replace them with SR cups? Do I also replace the 10sp Record bearings with the SR bearings and seals? Is this a straight swap? Do they fit interchangeably? Is there anything I need to know or do other than a straight swap? I guess I will also need to get a bearing pulling tool as I don't have one. Any in particular recommended?
Old 11-24-13, 01:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,480 Times in 1,911 Posts
I don't know the vintage of your BB, but the Records of the era that I'm familiar with have a central cartridge with pressed-on bearings, not intended for user service. However they can be replaced if you have a bearing press (or improvise one), and a way to remove the wire spring clip that holds them in place.

Bearing location and offset are critical because the bearings are pressed to the spindle, and the outer races located by the spacer tube between them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-25-13, 12:13 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Love when people come with weird theories to fix their campy stuff
Old 11-25-13, 07:26 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Love when people come with weird theories to fix their campy stuff
Enlighten me. Which is the weird theory? To clean and lube non-serviceable bearing to see if that was the problem? I realize they are not serviceable if that's what you are referring to. This was also a bandaid so I can ride while I order the new bearings.

Seems this question is too complicated: can I just do a straight replacement of bearings and cups from UT to UT Cult? I already found the answer is YES, so hopefully that will help someone else searching here!!
Old 11-25-13, 08:44 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I don't know the vintage of your BB, but the Records of the era that I'm familiar with have a central cartridge with pressed-on bearings, not intended for user service. .
This is right around the time Campy went from square taper cartridge bottom brackets to external bearing Ultra Torque cranks. My 2006 Chorus was a square taper cartridge but the change came shortly after that so 5 years ago (2008?) it's quite possible the OP has an Ultra Torque crank. And, based on his later posting, it seems that's exactly what he has.
Old 11-25-13, 09:36 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The first sentence in the post says it is 5 years old or so. I guess I could have made it even more specific by saying UT, but I thought the year and the mention of cups would make it obvious enough.
Old 11-25-13, 09:39 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by dgasmd
The first sentence in the post says it is 5 years old or so. I guess I could have made it even more specific by saying UT, but I thought the year and the mention of cups would make it obvious enough.
You're right, but time's compressed after a few years, so I have to concentrate to remember that UT is that old. I read cups as lockrings, as used on the "old" cartridge BBs.

So disregard my response as being anachronistic.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 11-25-13, 10:55 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 825 Times in 458 Posts
Maybe OT, but in my experience sometimes sealed cartridge bearings can be saved by carefully lifting the seal, cleaning and repacking and fitting the seal again.
Old 11-25-13, 11:46 AM
Zef

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
NO...that is not what the first sentence of your post says...you wrote:

"I've had this campy 10sp Record group on one of my bikes for about 5 years now."

That does not give the reader any solid info as to whether you are dealing with a cartridge bearing bb or an external bearing bb. So pull you panties out of the bunch caught up in your arse and calm down that insolent tone as the folks here are trying to help you despite the fact that you have left it to them to speculate what you are dealing with.

-j
Old 11-25-13, 11:51 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Greenfieldja
NO...that is not what the first sentence of your post says...you wrote:

"I've had this campy 10sp Record group on one of my bikes for about 5 years now."

That does not give the reader any solid info as to whether you are dealing with a cartridge bearing bb or an external bearing bb. So pull you panties out of the bunch caught up in your arse and calm down that insolent tone as the folks here are trying to help you despite the fact that you have left it to them to speculate what you are dealing with.

-j
I'm sorry, speaking as one who was "mislead" by the "5 years now", I'm not upset, nor do I see his response as having an insolent tone, nor as coming from someone with his panties in a bunch.

Any fair reading of all the posts here would indicate that you're the only with his panties in a bunch. Please stop looking for, and pointing attitude problems that don't exist.

Old 11-25-13, 12:07 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
Naah, his response wasn't insulting, at least I certainly didn't read it that way either. And yes, that "5 year" was ambiguous for those of us who don't keep up on Campy's annual changes.
Old 11-25-13, 12:13 PM
Zef

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Naah, his response wasn't insulting, at least I certainly didn't read it that way either. And yes, that "5 year" was ambiguous for those of us who don't keep up on Campy's annual changes.
That "5 year" was ambiguous even for those of us who try to.

-j
Old 11-25-13, 12:40 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Since we have seen guys asking how to powder coat carbon fiber frames, to assume based in the lack of information that you wanted to put ceramic bearings in a cartridge, thing that I would have love to see Quite creative, nice you were talking about ultra - torque because the answer changes completely We can't read minds and many times we answer based in the info given, you ask the wrong question you get the wrong answer.

Hope you know somebody with the tools to replace those bearings, and yes you can put any bearings you want in there as long are the right size.

Good luck

ps: take easy dude

Enlighten me. Which is the weird theory? To clean and lube non-serviceable bearing to see if that was the problem? I realize they are not serviceable if that's what you are referring to. This was also a bandaid so I can ride while I order the new bearings.

Seems this question is too complicated: can I just do a straight replacement of bearings and cups from UT to UT Cult? I already found the answer is YES, so hopefully that will help someone else searching here!!