Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ok to run red light on T-Intersections?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 07:08 PM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't find anything related to this, but is it legal to run a red on a T-intersection if I'm on the "straight" road? IE https://goo.gl/maps/uQfYd at the BART station. Does it make a difference if it has a bike lane or not? I see riders running it so I assumed it's fine.
Old 11-26-13, 07:11 PM
Papa Tom

Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I don't know the area you're talking about, but you got me at "OK to run red light." No, it's NEVER OK to run a red light!
Old 11-26-13, 10:22 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
I often do. Watch for pedestrians.
Old 11-26-13, 10:24 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Liked 437 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I don't know the area you're talking about, but you got me at "OK to run red light." No, it's NEVER OK to run a red light!
What he said.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-26-13, 10:38 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Legal? I doubt it. Why would it be any different for you than it is for any other person? Why would it be any different in that situation than it is in any other?
Old 11-26-13, 10:47 PM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In most cases, I really see no reason to do so. I wouldn't do it. I tend to like the practice of quick acceleration
Old 11-27-13, 12:34 AM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Sometimes they are so pointless, you have to run them. Unless there are cops nearby.
Old 11-27-13, 01:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Rural? no cross traffic?
Old 11-27-13, 01:41 AM
vol

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Every cyclist does that on the Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. I used to be the only dumb "odd ball" that stopped at every red light . Now I keep going except at the few intersections where it becomes a cross intersection with transverse roads. However, I do pay attention and slow down if there are pedestrians.
Old 11-27-13, 05:06 AM
jeffmc511

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I often do. Watch for pedestrians.
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Sometimes they are so pointless, you have to run them. Unless there are cops nearby.
Originally Posted by vol
Every cyclist does that on the Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. I used to be the only dumb "odd ball" that stopped at every red light . Now I keep going except at the few intersections where it becomes a cross intersection with transverse roads. However, I do pay attention and slow down if there are pedestrians.
Have any of you considered the possibility of this attitude contributing to the poor attitude drivers have towards cyclists? I've seen cyclists get into arguments with drivers over the fact that they have every right to ride on the road, after all, "it's the law!", and then proceed to break the law by running stop signs/red lights. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen cyclists actually stop at red lights/stop signs, not counting one left hand turn on a very busy road frequented by cyclists, and I've even seen them run that one on occasion.

IMHO, along with the right to ride on the road, comes the responsibility to follow the rules of the road.

My opinion probably shouldn't count for much though, I just picked up my first bike in 15 years yesterday, and I only have, what, 3 posts...? I have more of a "driver" mindset than a cyclist one...
Old 11-27-13, 05:46 AM
Papa Tom

Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>>IMHO, along with the right to ride on the road, comes the responsibility to follow the rules of the road. <<<<<<

Right on, Jeff.
Old 11-27-13, 06:46 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
You know your area and you decide what is best.
Old 11-27-13, 08:11 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 357 Times in 194 Posts
i don't get why cyclists want to be recognized as legal vehicles on the road with the right to be there then ignore the traffic laws.

stop at the frickin red light.
Old 11-27-13, 08:18 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are so few cyclists around here and I like to proclaim the "share the road" theme we have going on, so I always stop even when its pointless like no cars or peds around at all. I could easily just roll through and the cops wouldn't bother me but showing a good example to other drivers boosts our cycling perception. I never ride in a hurry and the lights are a resting point for me anyway. In the larger cities like VOL mentions above in Manhattan, I would follow his lead like he followed the others. That's a little different as there are many cyclists in that area. It only becomes an issue when you are of a minority and you stand out like a sore thumb when you ignore certain laws. Not saying its ok but more than likely its accepted in certain areas.
Old 11-27-13, 08:21 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I understand the question; there's an intersection I pass every morning, early, that if there's no cars around I just roll through. It's a T intersection, I'm going straight through. The perpendicular road is on the opposite side of the road. I'm to the right. So even IF cars were turning into the route, I'd be clear in most cases.
Here's the spot I'm thinking of:
passing by the old convention center on the right, 6th Avenue to the left

It's NOT legal.
However at 6am, I'm often the only vehicle/person on the road other an a couple taxis parked along side the road waiting for someone to come out of the hotel(s).
The lights are timed just so, that if I'm stopped at 7th (behind the streetview link) this light will go red just as the light at 7th turns green - forcing a stop at both lights. Then If I stop at 6th, the same scenario repeats at 5th. If no one is around, I roll through 6th and it allows me to go from 7th through 5th without stopping. I always stop at 8th, 7th, 5th if red (I turn on 4th). It's only 6th that I give this treatment.
Again, not legal but otherwise I'm forced to stop at every block -with no one around.

Last edited by FenderTL5; 11-27-13 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-27-13, 08:25 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FenderTL5
If I understand the question; there's an intersection I pass every morning, early, that if there's no cars around I just roll through. It's a T intersection, I'm going straight through. The perpendicular road is on the opposite side of the road. I'm to the right. So even IF cars were turning into the route, I'd be clear in most cases.
Here's the spot I'm thinking of:
passing by the old convention center on the right, 6th Avenue to the left

It's NOT legal.
However at 6am, I'm often the only vehicle/person on the road other an a couple taxis parked along side the road waiting for someone to come out of the hotel(s).
The lights are timed just so, that if I'm stopped at 7th (behind the streetview link) this light will go red just as the light at 7th turns green - forcing a stop at both lights. Then If I stop at 6th, the same scenario repeats at 5th. If no one is around, I roll through 6th and it allows me to go from 7th through 5th without stopping.
Again, not legal but otherwise I'm forced to stop at every block -with no one around.
Very impressive observation on your part. I like that
Old 11-27-13, 08:25 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by rolliepollie
I can't find anything related to this, but is it legal to run a red on a T-intersection if I'm on the "straight" road? IE https://goo.gl/maps/uQfYd at the BART station. Does it make a difference if it has a bike lane or not? I see riders running it so I assumed it's fine.
If you are on the shoulder keep riding.

Old 11-27-13, 08:32 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Liked 88 Times in 54 Posts
stop sign or light… at least in CA it's not ok.. I was ticketed in college for that.
Old 11-27-13, 08:36 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Liked 119 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by rolliepollie
You know perfectly well it's illegal. Are you hoping we will give you our permission to break the law?

Sorry, you're on your own.
Old 11-27-13, 08:40 AM
Solid_Spoke

Bikes: Bicycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think running red lights at T intersections is legal where I live. That said, I will check to be absolutely sure there are no pedestrians crossing, and if it is safe to do so, will run the red light. I have been doing this for years with no problems.
Old 11-27-13, 08:48 AM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffmc511
Have any of you considered the possibility of this attitude contributing to the poor attitude drivers have towards cyclists? I've seen cyclists get into arguments with drivers over the fact that they have every right to ride on the road, after all, "it's the law!", and then proceed to break the law by running stop signs/red lights.
Motorists often criticize cyclists for breaking traffic laws. I don't buy it. First off, I'd be willing to wager that most motorists are serial lawbreakers themselves, most commonly in the form of exceeding the speed limit. You can test this yourself. Drive a car around at the exact speed limit and observe how many other cars pass or tailgate you. On some stretches of road, I've observed 100% of cars in violation. No, they just use the lawbreaking as a blunt tool to bash the entire cycling community with. If every cyclist obeyed every traffic law, the haters would still hate. Why? Because we "get in their way." This is why I sometimes violate the law for their benefit as well as mine. For example, on one of my regular routes, I have to leave the bike lane and cross two lanes of traffic to enter a left turn lane and make a left. The preceding intersection has a stoplight with very little cross traffic. So, I usually stop at the red, look carefully, then proceed through the intersection and make my way to the left lane to make the left turn at the next intersection. This means I am free and clear to do so while the rest of the traffic is stuck at the red light behind me. Were I to follow the law, I would wait until the light turns green, then merge into the moving traffic, annoying all the motorists by "getting in their way" and "slowing them down." Not to mention I simply feel safer crossing these lanes when they are not full of traffic. Bottom line is the traffic laws were written for motor vehicles, not bicycles, so following them as a cyclist doesn't always work so well. In general, I do follow traffic laws, but I believe certain violations can be justified depending on the circumstances.
Old 11-27-13, 08:57 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
On the straight of the T, with no pedestrians and no traffic turning left towards your direction, and staying on a bike lane or shoulder, I can't think of a single good reason not to run the red. Other than potentially getting a ticket.

There's no possibility of cross traffic, no way to disrupt or impede traffic as there would be at a regular intersection. Pedestrians have a right to expect the intersection will be clear when you have red and some will behave accordingly, unconsciously, but where there are no pedestrians or pedestrian crosswalk that's not even a factor. It's not legal, but it should be.
Old 11-27-13, 09:00 AM
alan s 

Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
If it's safe and no police around, go for it. No harm, no foul.
Old 11-27-13, 09:13 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is it legal... no
do other cyclists do it... frequently
do they get away with it... almost always
and the ones that don't... end up injured or dead or if they are lucky, ticketed.

...we are all accountable for our actions, so... choose wisely and stay safe!
Old 11-27-13, 09:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
On the straight of the T, with no pedestrians and no traffic turning left towards your direction, and staying on a bike lane or shoulder, I can't think of a single good reason not to run the red. Other than potentially getting a ticket.

There's no possibility of cross traffic, no way to disrupt or impede traffic as there would be at a regular intersection. Pedestrians have a right to expect the intersection will be clear when you have red and some will behave accordingly, unconsciously, but where there are no pedestrians or pedestrian crosswalk that's not even a factor. It's not legal, but it should be.
This.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.