Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Suzue Pro Max Dust Caps for Unsealed hubs?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 01:57 PM
murdercity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All!
For the last six years I've had an unrideable set of Suzue Pro Max hubs. Through a string of unfortunate circumstances, the rear hub became unusable when one of the dust caps was bent and and the other was absconded with by a friend of a friend who'd offered to fabricate me a new set and then dropped off the face of the earth. Does anyone have any ideas of where I might be able to go to get a set of rear dust caps for this bike? Have a broken hub they'd like to get rid of? Have a 3-D printing design? I've contacted Suzue and their N. American distributor with no luck. I've only seen dust caps for the sealed hubs. I'd really like to be able to build these up again, but instead they just sit in the closet. Please help and thanks for anything you can do.
Old 12-12-13, 10:32 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Have a picture of the problem?
Old 12-13-13, 12:33 PM
murdercity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! I doesn't look like it should be impossible to find, but I've had zero luck.

Thanks for any possible help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dust cap 2.jpg (99.3 KB, 32 views)
dust cap1.jpg (99.5 KB, 30 views)
hub 1.jpg (94.6 KB, 35 views)
hub 2.jpg (97.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-13-13, 03:33 PM
lgp927

Bikes: Planet X Full carbon track bike , Bianchi Pista, Unknown LV1 X 2, Sole' De Lano, Retrospect.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murdercity
Yes! I doesn't look like it should be impossible to find, but I've had zero luck.

Thanks for any possible help
You cant do the cartridge bearings instead?
Old 12-13-13, 03:47 PM
murdercity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lgp927
You cant do the cartridge bearings instead?
I was unaware that I could simply replace them with cartridge bearings. Is this something I could take to my local bike shop and have ordered? Thanks
Old 12-13-13, 03:57 PM
lgp927

Bikes: Planet X Full carbon track bike , Bianchi Pista, Unknown LV1 X 2, Sole' De Lano, Retrospect.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was unaware that I could simply replace them with cartridge bearings. Is this something I could take to my local bike shop and have ordered? Thanks
I believe so, I was at my LBS the other day taling about wheels and the guy said if I didnt want to spen the money on wheels for this new build all I could do was to replace the crown bearing for cartridge ones he said they run super smooth!!!
Old 12-13-13, 04:13 PM
murdercity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe so, I was at my LBS the other day taling about wheels and the guy said if I didnt want to spen the money on wheels for this new build all I could do was to replace the crown bearing for cartridge ones he said they run super smooth!!!
Very intriguing. Unfortunately, my LBS is on winter sabbatical until February (damn you cold Wisconsin weather), but I'll try a different one and report back later. Thanks again,
Old 12-13-13, 04:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,600 Times in 1,593 Posts
Usually you can bend those dustcaps back into a good enough shape to stay put and not rub on the axle with some needle-nose pliers. It's annoying work, though. In the future, consider leaving the dustcaps in place when you repack the bearings.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-13-13, 05:04 PM
murdercity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Usually you can bend those dustcaps back into a good enough shape to stay put and not rub on the axle with some needle-nose pliers. It's annoying work, though. In the future, consider leaving the dustcaps in place when you repack the bearings.
Right - the big problem is that I only have one of the dustcaps left. I had been put in touch with a friend of a friend who was a jeweler and who said that she'd very easily be able to fabricate more for me. That was the last time I ever heard from her. So, even if I was able to bend the one I have back, I'd still be missing one.
Old 12-13-13, 05:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,600 Times in 1,593 Posts
Right - the big problem is that I only have one of the dustcaps left. I had been put in touch with a friend of a friend who was a jeweler and who said that she'd very easily be able to fabricate more for me. That was the last time I ever heard from her. So, even if I was able to bend the one I have back, I'd still be missing one.
Oh. I guess it would help if I could read.

You might try measuring the ID of the hub shell where the dustcap snaps in and asking if anyone in the Classic & Vintage forum has a dustcap matching that dimension...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-13-13, 05:11 PM
murdercity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem - that is a great idea, thanks
Old 12-13-13, 05:20 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I believe so, I was at my LBS the other day talking about wheels and the guy said if I didnt want to spend the money on wheels for this new build all I could do was to replace the crown bearing for cartridge ones he said they run super smooth!!!
What is a crown bearing? No, you can't just put cartridge bearings into any hub so don't go spreading that kind of misinformation.
Old 12-13-13, 05:32 PM
lgp927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
What is a crown bearing? No, you can't just put cartridge bearings into any hub so don't go spreading that kind of misinformation.
Hey man I'm just repeating what my guy at city grounds told me !! So!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-13, 06:00 PM
Steev

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The caps look similar to some I've seen before, I thought they were on old Shimano MTB hubs. I may even have some in my parts bin. Can you measure the one you have? I know I tried my LBS to replace the ones I'd bent up when prying them out and they told me to just beat them back into shape. It worked OK, not perfect but better than nothing.
Old 12-13-13, 06:38 PM
skinny matt
more coffee please

Bikes: a couple schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks kinda grimey in there. Are the cups and cones still in good shape? If not you might want new hubs or wheels. Or maybe not. I'm jamming econo these days so I know all about making due with craptastic wheels.
Old 12-13-13, 07:07 PM
lee kenney

Bikes: ritcheys{2** rm blizzard Geo elrick drop frame and acollection of parts bikes in waiting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually No , Suntour Superbe Pro hubs 7 spd freewheel ,Had a two piece race cone and removable cups . These are treasures , very precious!!
Old 12-20-13, 03:12 PM
murdercity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, sorry for the absence. The dust cap has an external diameter of 27mm, an internal diameter of 18mm and is 2mm tall. I have been able to find many dust caps with the outer dimensions, but not the inner. Just today I went to a LBS and they had a cap with 27mm/19mm. That, unfortunately, doesn't work as the cap just slides right off.
Old 12-20-13, 03:58 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Actually you can if rumors are true and the suzue promax hubs are made with the same molding as superbe pros.... as they have a hybrid bearing system where the bearing races can be pounded out right along with the axle for replacement.
I don't have pro max's but a couple sets of the later.
I have personally converted/ salvaged a set with phil bearings and a suzue promax axle kit.

Old 12-20-13, 04:10 PM
murdercity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm - the guys at the bike shop seemed to think it possible for the races to be pounded out and then said that either Enduro 6001 or 61001, but probably 6001, could work. They didn't know, however. I posted on the Classic/Vintage forum to see if anyone has a dust cap that would match, but if nothing turns up in the next week or so I'll probably give pounding out the races a try. Thanks
Old 12-20-13, 05:02 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Alright, it sounded ridiculous then.