Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Water Transfer decal on top of clear coat

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Water Transfer decal on top of clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 08:12 AM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First off, Happy New Year everyone !

Decals.... I would always choose water slides over stickers any day ! My personal method is paint, polish, clear, polish, decal, clear, polish..... Most water slide decals are nothing more than a lacquer based ink system on a release paper. The release is similar to a thin coat of white glue,in that it will soften when immersed in water and release the film of ink (decal) that was printed on it. Water slides are delicate, and should be clear coated after they have been applied and have dried completely...several days..... If you want to know a lot more, do a web search about applying scale model decals. Tons of info out there.

Joe
Old 01-01-14, 01:02 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
Maybe I'm old fashioned. I like water slide decals on top of the Clear. When I restore a bike I try to replicate what the Factory intended, I have clearcoated over vinyl Decals. I will be restoring a Casati bike in the next month, the owner has stated he wants the decals under the clear. I will post pictures of the build and repaint.
So you were just stating a personal preference? I think that needed clarification since you are considered to be an expert.
One nice thing about waterslides over paint is that they can easily be replaced.
Old 01-01-14, 03:34 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Yes, I personally like decals over clear. On the other hand, I will apply them to my customers preference.
Old 01-01-14, 03:36 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
What about the delicacy issue, MA? Or do you think it is not an issue?