Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How manytimes do you wear shorts/bib before washing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How manytimes do you wear shorts/bib before washing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 04:36 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Grambo
Every ride. I learned this lesson the hard way many years ago when I re used a pair of sweaty shorts (because I had nothing else) and ended up with a nasty rash that required prescription medication to clear up. To be clear the sweaty shorts I used had been sitting damp in my laundry bag for a couple of days providing an ideal damp, warm , dark environment for bacterial growth.

Not sure why everyone treats there cycling apparel like it's their Sunday best. I machine wash all my cycling clothes in warm water / normal cycle and throw it in the dryer on normal heat which is medium high. If the clothing can't hold up to normal use including machine wash and dry I don't want it. For the record I have washed Assos, Rapha, Giordana and Castelli clothing this way countless times and never had a problem. White vinegar and baking soda (not necessarily in combination) work well for eliminating odors.
Hear him! He speaks the truth.
Old 01-04-14, 04:39 PM
evrythngsgngrn
. . .

Bikes: '96 Wheeler 7980, 2013 SuperSix-4, 2013 Felt F75X, 2015 Apollo Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once of course... is there really any other answer? I hope anyone giving any other answer only rides solo.
Old 01-04-14, 04:41 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the trainer I just wear boxers so I don't have to wash my bike shorts. After I ride outside I rinse them in the shower after every ride. But I don't really use soap, maybe I should.
Old 01-04-14, 05:04 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this really a question**********? C'mon man, just once! That is nasty otherwise! I mean lets think this one over for about a mili-second! Okay, ONCE!

This is really the same as asking after taking a big ole dump how many times do ya use the toilet paper!

Last edited by Cyclelogikal; 01-05-14 at 07:49 AM. Reason: mispelled word.
Old 01-04-14, 05:11 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fercrissakes...the standard is "wear once and then throw away"...like disposable diapers....
Old 01-04-14, 05:19 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 356 Times in 194 Posts
i do gentle cycle / no dryer because i don't want them to shrink. because i'm an odd size it's hard finding things, especially gym type clothes like cycling apparel, that fit properly. i have 3 pairs of lululemon shorts, and a bunch of champion c9 shirts from target.
Old 01-04-14, 05:23 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
When are you folks gonna learn that nylon and polyester, the two main fibers in cycling apparel do not shrink from laundering even with automatic drying? Wool and cotton yes, nylon and polyester no.
Old 01-04-14, 05:27 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who cares, even if they could shrink?

Old 01-04-14, 05:30 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by evrythngsgngrn
Once of course... is there really any other answer? I hope anyone giving any other answer only rides solo.
Plenty of answers. Most of the world goes weeks if not months without washing clothes and are fine. The peoples of rural Africa are lucky to have a single pair of pants or shirt and may not wash for months and are likely healthier than you or I.
I go by the sniff test, if they stink I wash them. I wear wool which allows 3-5 days riding without odor. If they smell I wash. Guess what. No health issues, no saddle sores and all is well. So again , yes, there are many answers.
Our forefathers would think us a bunch of prettified, lilac smelling sissies the way we obsess about this crap.
Old 01-04-14, 05:46 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Grambo
Not sure why everyone treats there cycling apparel like it's their Sunday best.
Because I think it's expensive, so I want to encourage it to live a long and happy life; plus, some polyesters don't do well when heated in the dryer.

When I have a pile, I hand-wash it in the sink or in the washer on gentle; hang it to dry.
Old 01-04-14, 06:37 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
Wash after each wear. Gentle cycle in the washer and always hang to dry.
Old 01-04-14, 06:51 PM
cycledogg

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
For Pete's sake, doesn't this thread relate to the one "Too lazy to change and shower"? You guys are killing me here with the concern for proper hygiene. Wash shorts after every ride, hang dry. Own at least two pair to rotate use. Simple-
Cheers
Old 01-04-14, 06:53 PM
karenashg

Bikes: 198? Colnago, 2010 Jamis Quest, 2013 Wabi Classic 46x18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Is the best way to test for cleanliness the sniff test?
I fear the use of my washing machine. I have ruined more shorts/shirts than I can count. My wife tosses everything in the washer then the dryer and BAM! they no longer fit.
I have tried to educate her and even used Lysol spray as a anti-bacterial ceaner to avoid the washer and even wore stuff into the shower.
Thus I ask how to keep stuff clean but not ruin....
Once.

And do your own cycling laundry. No one should make their spouse deal with their grody workout clothing...
Old 01-04-14, 06:54 PM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always only once.

For or washing, I follow the directions on the tag just like I do for all of my other clothes. Generally, machine wash cold with like colors gentle cycle, hang dry. A couple items are ok for low dryer.
Old 01-04-14, 06:59 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once for me. One pair of bibs and one pair of regular cycling shorts. While I prefer the bib if I forget to wash it I'll wear the shorts.
Old 01-04-14, 07:19 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Like others - once, save for commuting when it's an AM then PM proposition. How many days do you wear your underwear for?
Old 01-04-14, 07:36 PM
VeloNewbie

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raedyn
Once. I wash all of my kit after each ride no matter how far I ride or the weather. I sweat like a ho in church and can't stand the thought of wearing sweaty kit.
OMG this part just had me rolling on the floor.LOL. Never heard that before.

But anyway, I personally wash mine after every single ride when its hot out. In the winter, I SOMETIMES wear my stuff twice before washing.
Old 01-04-14, 07:40 PM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just tell your wife how expensive they are, I bet she hand washes them next time.
Old 01-04-14, 08:27 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 356 Times in 194 Posts
i have better things to do that hand wash my shorts every night, or if you're like me go to the apartment's community wash room and spend $1.25 on a load every day? no. I own multiple pairs of shorts that get, on average, 2 uses. that's +/- 6 days at least i can go before needing everything to be washed all at once. shorts, shirts, etc. and i can throw other laundry in with them as well.
Old 01-04-14, 08:28 PM
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Once
Old 01-04-14, 08:38 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just no sniffing chamois' to see if you got them clean!
Old 01-04-14, 09:12 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I fear the use of my washing machine. I have ruined more shorts/shirts than I can count. My wife tosses everything in the washer then the dryer and BAM! they no longer fit.
I have tried to educate her and even used Lysol spray as a anti-bacterial ceaner to avoid the washer and even wore stuff into the shower.
Thus I ask how to keep stuff clean but not ruin....
Now there's yer problem. Not that your wife can't be educated but that you make her do your job. It's not 1956, men are allowed to do their own wash now.

Don't throw your kit in with your other clothes. Wash your tech fabrics in cold water on the gentle cycle as soon as you can after riding and put in the dryer on low heat with a dry towel or two. Take them out when they are 90% dry and hang to finish them off. Don't dry them hot or overdry them in the machine and they'll live happily for a long time. Wool should be hand washed or machine washed in cold water on the shortest, gentlest cycle you have and then rolled up tightly in a towel to remove most of the water and laid out to dry. Depending on the percentage of wool in the garment, you need to be careful of shrinking, stretching, or deforming the garment by improper hanging. For this reason I don't like 100% wool. The synthetic fibers interwoven in a wool blend get between the wool fibers and protect them from shrinking and stretching problems. Instead of fancy "sports" washes, I just use Woolite for Darks on all my sports clothing. It works in cold water, is safe for all fabrics including wool, and protects bright colors from fading just as well as it does darks.

If you practice good personal hygiene and keep your kit washed and dried in a timely fashion, you don't have to worry about using antibacterial products to prevent the funk.

The answer to the most important question is that bibs/shorts get washed after every ride. Jerseys might make a couple of rides if the weather is cool and I'm not riding hard, but I usually just wash them every time as well.

Last edited by Myosmith; 01-04-14 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-04-14, 09:29 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
Because I think it's expensive, so I want to encourage it to live a long and happy life; plus, some polyesters don't do well when heated in the dryer.

When I have a pile, I hand-wash it in the sink or in the washer on gentle; hang it to dry.
Oh brother. Do you have a life outside of cycling? I have a wife, job, two teenage daughters and a perpetual to do list. I already don't ride as much as I would like and regularly catch heat for how much time I spend on my "cycling obsession". The last thing I'm going to do is allocate more of my precious time to hand washing or hang drying my cycling clothes. Rather spend time in the saddle and as rpenmanparker pointed out nylon and polyester do not shrink. All of my gym wear are constructed out of the same material and I never hear about anyone hand washing their gym clothes.
Old 01-04-14, 10:27 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once is the only correct answer.

In winter months I might cheat with an outer-layer, but not if it gets the slightest bit moist with perspiration.
Old 01-04-14, 10:55 PM
NoviceJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Have you and your wife never heard of hang dry? That would solve the shrinkage of your clothes. Also, I would only wear it once. Think of your bib / shorts as your underwear (or boxers). Would you wear them twice before washing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.