Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I be braking all the way down a steep slope?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14, 03:44 AM
redryder74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. I'm planning to commute to work everyday on a foldable bike. There's a portion of my route which is a steep downhill about 50m on a pavement. I've been braking practically all the way down in order to keep the speed to a comfortable level. Will this be killing my brakes since I'm doing this everyday?
Old 01-26-14, 06:10 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
They are going to wear faster than they would on a similar distance of flat ground. But I would not consider it excessive. My biggest concern with riding brakes down a hill is overheating a rim and blowing a tire, but we are talking kilometers of downhills not meters. I think you will be fine, just keep and eye on the brake and rim wear.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-26-14, 09:25 AM
rebel1916

Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
It's a lot more fun if you coast.
Old 01-26-14, 09:44 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
If you are squeamish about the speed and concerned about going through parts.. walk the bike down the hill. I've had to do it, though I was on my back up bike (son's BMX), I'm a Clyde, and the bike has just the u-brake in the back...
Old 01-26-14, 10:03 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Brake pads are disposable items. If you're not comfortable coasting down the hill, then a couple fewer weeks of life before you have to replace the pads beats the heck out of losing control and crashing.
Old 01-26-14, 10:08 AM
sandy79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
It's a lot more fun if you coast.
its even more fun when you pedal
Old 01-26-14, 10:18 AM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by sandy79
Baby steps my dear boy, baby steps.
Old 01-26-14, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
steep downhill about 50m on a pavement
in British English , you are on the sidewalk , not the street.
Old 01-26-14, 11:56 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
50 meters/metres? Doesn't seem long enough for for heat buildup or other issues. By all means, use the brakes to stay under control.
Old 01-26-14, 12:04 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sandy79
It's not a real down hill if pedaling makes you go faster.

To some extent I think that braking on a hill is more dangerous. Yes your speed is lower, but the physics are more complex. And of course, the answer is not always the same. One road nearby drops 266 feet in half a mile. Most times I just sail down. But at night, or when there is ice on the road, I'm more cautious.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 01-26-14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-26-14, 12:15 PM
Coluber42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Braking for 50 meters, even if you do it every day, is not going even wear your pads that much. We're talking 50 meters, right? And if you're on the sidewalk, you definitely should be going slow. It pisses people off when bikes ride fast on the sidewalk, plus going fast down a sidewalk and then careening out into the street at the bottom of the hill or crossing over cross streets in a crosswalk at high speed is a GREAT way to get hit.
Using your brakes is what wears them down, but you're talking about a fairly short stretch and it probably won't wear them any faster than using them the rest of the time.
Old 01-26-14, 05:20 PM
redryder74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coluber42
Braking for 50 meters, even if you do it every day, is not going even wear your pads that much. We're talking 50 meters, right?
Boy, I'm embarrased. Guess the speed affected my memory of the distance. I checked Google Maps and its actually 200m. On a sidewalk.

Thanks guys for your help. Quick question - is it better in terms of control and stability to tap and let go on the brakes, or just keep them on the whole time while going downhill? Keeping them on to slow down feels more natural but some people mentioned the "press and let go" method as well.
Old 01-26-14, 06:18 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redryder74
Boy, I'm embarrased. Guess the speed affected my memory of the distance. I checked Google Maps and its actually 200m. On a sidewalk.

Thanks guys for your help. Quick question - is it better in terms of control and stability to tap and let go on the brakes, or just keep them on the whole time while going downhill? Keeping them on to slow down feels more natural but some people mentioned the "press and let go" method as well.

Whatever it takes to stay in control. You're not going to be able to overheat the rims in 200m, so it doesn't really matter which you do. If you're descending a long mountain pass and need to shed speed, then you need to brake intermittently or you'll overheat the wheels, causing the air in the tube to expand, and risk a blowout. Plus, it becomes more difficult to module your brakes when everything gets really hot.

But again - 200m is not even remotely close to having to worry about that.
Old 01-26-14, 06:22 PM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by redryder74
If you are on a sidewalk, and you feel, even the slightest bit, like you are near the limits of your control, you need to dismount and walk your bike. Really. Even if there is never anybody on that stretch.
Old 01-27-14, 01:51 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rebel1916
If you are on a sidewalk, and you feel, even the slightest bit, like you are near the limits of your control, you need to dismount and walk your bike. Really. Even if there is never anybody on that stretch.
Agreed. On a road, it would depend on what was at the bottom. Foldable bikes probably don't handle and corner very well. But on a sidewalk? And commuting? Sidewalks are there for a reason. Rural, sparsely populated areas rarely have them (at least here in the States) and if there are houses along the descent, there's too muck risk of someone stepping out of a yard onto the sidewalk for me to coast down on a bike. Or even brake all the way down.
Old 01-28-14, 09:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
Right. Always prepared to yield the right of way to foot traffic. It's part of good citizenship, and makes good sense, too.
Old 01-28-14, 09:34 AM
Coluber42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're on a sidewalk, you need to stay at a sidewalk speed. You know how you probably get pissed off if you're walking down the sidewalk and some punk goes whizzing around you on a skateboard? If you are riding faster than 5mph on a sidewalk, you are that guy. To stay at a controlled, steady 3-5mph, you will need to brake steadily the whole way down. You're not going to overheat the rims at that speed and you're not going to put excessive wear on the pads over only 200m, and you're not even going to lose that much time versus just riding down at normal speed. But if you're riding down the sidewalk, ride at a sidewalk speed.
Old 01-28-14, 12:49 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was using my rear (disc) brake as a drag brake earlier this winter to keep from building up too much speed on an icy downhill run, when all of a sudden I had nothing happening back there.

Turns out one of the pads fell out of the caliper.

Just sayin'
Old 01-28-14, 03:04 PM
Fastfingaz

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I just reread your post and one question,, is the rest of your commute also on the sidewalk and ofcourse the next question is ,,why??
Old 01-28-14, 03:07 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It all depends on how hard you apply the brakes. If you're just very lightly applying them, I really don't see a problem. If, on the other hand, you're applying them fairly hard, that would create potential issues for premature brake wear. 50m isn't a long distance, so I think you should be OK either way.
Old 01-29-14, 06:26 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What is at the bottom of the hill?

I can think of one where anyone who brakes is a wuss. But that is wide open and a half mile runout.

I can think of far more that end in a stop sign or stop light. for those staying under control means being able to stop at the bottom of the hill. Sometimes that means going much slower than I would like.
Old 01-30-14, 04:04 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Keith99
What is at the bottom of the hill?

I can think of one where anyone who brakes is a wuss. But that is wide open and a half mile runout.

I can think of far more that end in a stop sign or stop light. for those staying under control means being able to stop at the bottom of the hill. Sometimes that means going much slower than I would like.
I've never ridden a folding bike, which is what the OP has, but if they handle like I suspect that they do, I'd like a nice long straight at the bottom.
Old 01-30-14, 04:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
And which Bike ... you get a better aligned bike at the higher price points,

Put my bike friday at the top of a hill , and Ill be fine .. at the bottom ..
Old 01-30-14, 06:55 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Liked 234 Times in 186 Posts
It is called "feathering the brakes" and here is a link to the technique: https://revolutionbicyclesnc.com/2013...ing-technique/

200 meters works out to 650 feet in the English system so it is a short hill you are describing compared to what you find in the mountains in the western US. I had a kid who decided he wasn't going to use the brakes on a descent from Dante's View (~5300') to Furnace Creek Campground (-200') in Death Valley. It descends about half the total in the first couple of miles. He ran off the road into the desert at the second turn about three minutes into the ride. So much for not using brakes being so much fun!
Old 02-02-14, 10:36 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I do what my survival instincts tell me. On my 20" folder, I would modulate the brakes to keep a reasonable speed.