Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flo 30 vs Boyd Vitesse

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flo 30 vs Boyd Vitesse

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 01:12 PM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Flo 30 vs Boyd Vitesse

So there just haven't been enough wheel threads around here lately so one more…

Looking for a new set of AL clinchers for a build. Both the Flo 30 and Boyd Vitesse have caught my eye as good options. I'm a clyde and both of these are spec'd to about 240lbs with a 28 spoke rear (I'm 220lb). I'm not a sprinter and ride mostly smooth rolling hills.

I don't love only having silver spokes as an option on the Flo's, and they're proprietary so would be a bit of a pain to replace. Price is pretty much a wash with the Flo's about $500 and the Boyd's on closeout at $550 (with tape and skewers incl). Looks-wise I prefer the Flo's. The only other thing that has me a bit nervous is the 24mm width of the Flo's and running into possible fit problems, though the frame manufacturer said 23mm should be fine so will 1mm make any difference?

Is there any real difference between these two sets or is it pretty much splitting hairs at this point?
Old 01-28-14, 01:23 PM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmcdam

Looking for a new set of AL clinchers for a build. Both the Flo 30 and Boyd Vitesse have caught my eye as good options. I'm a clyde and both of these are spec'd to about 240lbs with a 28 spoke rear (I'm 220lb). I'm not a sprinter and ride mostly smooth rolling hills.

I don't love only having silver spokes as an option on the Flo's, and they're proprietary so would be a bit of a pain to replace. Price is pretty much a wash with the Flo's about $500 and the Boyd's on closeout at $550 (with tape and skewers incl). Looks-wise I prefer the Flo's. The only other thing that has me a bit nervous is the 24mm width of the Flo's and running into possible fit problems, though the frame manufacturer said 23mm should be fine so will 1mm make any difference?

Is there any real difference between these two sets or is it pretty much splitting hairs at this point?
FLO uses Sapim CX Ray spokes on their wheels:

https://www.flocycling.com/faq.php

I've been wondering why they don't offer black spokes either...I have black CX Ray's on my wheels and love the look of them.

Back on topic, I've been looking hard at the FLO options but have yet to decide on them...I will probably land up with a set of them eventually (FLO 60).

*EDIT*
If you're considering the FLO 30...also look at the ROL Race SL (SLR for you if your a heavier rider). I currently own the Race SL and love them...

https://store.rolwheels.com/2013-race...FYkWMgod_woArA
Old 01-28-14, 01:32 PM
dmcdam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokehouse
FLO uses Sapim CX Ray spokes on their wheels:

https://www.flocycling.com/faq.php

I've been wondering why they don't offer black spokes either...I have black CX Ray's on my wheels and love the look of them.

Back on topic, I've been looking hard at the FLO options but have yet to decide on them...I will probably land up with a set of them eventually (FLO 60).

*EDIT*
If you're considering the FLO 30...also look at the ROL Race SL (SLR for you if your a heavier rider). I currently own the Race SL and love them...

https://store.rolwheels.com/2013-race...FYkWMgod_woArA
That's weird - I emailed Jon from Flo about them and he said their spokes are a custom order. I must have misunderstood.

I like the look of the ROL SLR but I'm trying to keep the budget down a bit. Shipping to Canada is going to cost $60-$90 plus I'll have to pay 13% tax when they land. At $700 I'd have a few more options but I don't think I'm missing out a whole lot for Flo's or Boyd's in the $500-$550 range.
Old 01-28-14, 01:36 PM
redlude97

Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Not a fan of anodized brake tracks. They eventually wear unevenly and look bad, especially if you ride in the rain or less than pristine roads. So one thing to consider
Old 01-28-14, 01:38 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've very happy with my Flo30s after about 2000 miles, coming from Ksyrium elites. I had a huge crash too where I basically threw the bicycle 80' and the wheels are still "true" to the naked eye. I think I found a slight increase in average speed, the bike cornered way better, and they were affordable.

Eventually the brake track will even out like mine after a few rain rides.
Old 01-28-14, 01:41 PM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's weird - I emailed Jon from Flo about them and he said their spokes are a custom order. I must have misunderstood.

I like the look of the ROL SLR but I'm trying to keep the budget down a bit. Shipping to Canada is going to cost $60-$90 plus I'll have to pay 13% tax when they land. At $700 I'd have a few more options but I don't think I'm missing out a whole lot for Flo's or Boyd's in the $500-$550 range.
Ah...yeah, I tried to look up the pricing on the 30 but their "SHOP" area is down at the moment.

I bought my Race SL's April of last year for $625...looks like their price went up for 2014. As for FLO...perhaps they've switched gears. I was looking at them and their 60 model this time last year and say the used CX Ray (the FAQ still say that is the case)...but if you got it straight from the horses mouth...perhaps they have changed and not yet updated the web site. That kind of stuff is common.

I do love some black spokes...they look stealthy. If I ever were to go with a set of FLO 60s...they'd have to have black spokes, anything else would be criminal.

$550 on the Boyds is a good price...I also gave them a strong look before deciding on the ROL's. I do wonder if the same house mas ROL and Boyd rims...they look/spec out almost identical between the Race and the Vitesse. The hubs are a bit different...but the rims, as far as I can tell/see...look identical. I wouldn't be surprised if the same factory makes OEM rims for both companies.
Old 01-28-14, 01:50 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokehouse
The wheels are manufactured and assembled in Taiwan. From what I gather it's much easier for them to order only one configuration (silver CX-Rays) than to try and guess the how many black and silver spoked Flo 30's to order. They also cite higher cost on black spokes as a reason they don't offer them but I think most people would be willing to pay a reasonable up charge to get black spokes. Their blog says they may start selling the Flo 30 rims separately which means you could build up a set with black spokes and whatever hubs you want. Of course, it remains to be seen how much the rims will cost on their own.

As far the Vitesse I'd be looking at Boyd's new 30mm deep Altamont at this point. The "old" Vitesse uses the Kinlin XC-279 rim which any number of wheel builders can build to exactly your specification.

https://www.boydcycling.com/products/...-clincher.html

Last edited by Dunbar; 01-28-14 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 03:06 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,840 Times in 1,106 Posts
I think the proprietary design of the Flo 30, and the whole Flo story, gives them a big edge in the cool factor, and I plan to make my next wheelset Floes.
Old 01-28-14, 07:12 PM
Parson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the black spokes, I enquired a while back and was told that they custom order their spokes and have a 20,000 unit minimum. I guess they picked one colour so that they dont have to put in two separate big orders.
Old 01-28-14, 07:13 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Silver spokes and anodized brake track are the wrong way around.
Old 01-28-14, 07:17 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yeah, that's I figure, too! Flo says they polled their potential client base, though, and that's what most wanted, ano rims/silv spokes. Whodathunk?
Old 01-28-14, 07:27 PM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, that's I figure, too! Flo says they polled their potential client base, though, and that's what most wanted, ano rims/silv spokes. Whodathunk?
Then blame the triathletes on the spoke color.
Old 01-28-14, 07:29 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Then blame the triathletes on the spoke color.
Yeah, the tri geeks got this one wrong.
Old 01-28-14, 07:55 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Machine built vs hand built?

Have a look at the hubs.

Customer support?

Old 01-28-14, 07:55 PM
dmcdam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The more I look at the silver spokes the more I like them. They kinda disappear at certain angles and when in motion (though I guess most do).
Old 01-28-14, 08:01 PM
dmcdam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Machine built vs hand built?

Have a look at the hubs.

Customer support?
Boyds are hand built - Flo doesn't say leading me to believe they're not.

I don't know much about hubs but both get good reviews. Anything you can tell me about them?

Both companies get accolades on the net for top notch service.
Old 01-28-14, 08:23 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I don't know much about hubs but both get good reviews. Anything you can tell me about them?
Not really, just advancing the conversation. Rims and spokes were mentioned so hubs seemed the next obvious consideration.

Old 01-28-14, 09:02 PM
RedVVing19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Amen
Old 01-28-14, 09:09 PM
Gjc985

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my boyds vitesse wheels. Id get them again in a second. They have been a terrific wheel for training and racing. Id love to get a pair of boyd carbon wheels I just cant afford them at the moment. I think his products are a great value
Old 01-28-14, 09:13 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have Boyd Vitesse and have put on 800 miles. Best light, fast wheels ever! they are 30mm and you can fit 23,25,28. I weigh 180lbs and have crashed 4 times so far. Wheels look new. They both came at 1500gms.
Old 01-28-14, 09:36 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gjc985
I love my boyds vitesse wheels. Id get them again in a second. They have been a terrific wheel for training and racing. Id love to get a pair of boyd carbon wheels I just cant afford them at the moment. I think his products are a great value
I have Vitesse and looking forward to getting some 44mm carbon tubulars sooner.
Old 01-28-14, 10:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Boyds are hand built - Flo doesn't say leading me to believe they're not.
Flo wheels are hand built, according to the first post on their Support/FAQ page on their forum.
Old 01-28-14, 10:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

He meant the Sapim CX Rays are a custom order for them; they're not standard CX Rays. Flo had Sapim spec a shorter bladed section specifically for them so that the blade did not extend into the fairing, which allows the builder to avoid spoke twist in the section of the spoke he can't see, i.e. inside the fairing. The result is a better build and wheel.
Old 01-28-14, 11:02 PM
dmcdam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He meant the Sapim CX Rays are a custom order for them; they're not standard CX Rays. Flo had Sapim spec a shorter bladed section specifically for them so that the blade did not extend into the fairing, which allows the builder to avoid spoke twist in the section of the spoke he can't see, i.e. inside the fairing. The result is a better build and wheel.
You know with each post you're pushing me closer to the Flo's - you have a good answer for everything. The only other concern I have is that they might be too wide - worried about rub. They're almost 26mm at the bottom of the brake track. It would suck if there was a fit issue.
Old 01-28-14, 11:34 PM
redlude97

Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Thats all good but isn't applicable to the FLO30 discussed here. The nipples aren't hidden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.