Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 11:29 PM
taquatch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by THSdrummer
Snap. Ditch the Coor's Lite box and I'd be interested in some HQ pictures for my desktop! I really dig the crud fenders and the top tube bag. It makes me feel like you could ride this thing for days.

Excellent chain position as well. I bet she's (he's?) fast.

Thoughts on your Romin Evo saddle? I've been looking at picking up a Romin or Toupe for quite some time. Struggling to find one at a good price. Plus, I've heard Romins tend to wear out the inside of bib shorts, and I can't afford that! I know, I know, "each bum is different". I'm just curious on your take on it and how long you've been riding it.

Honestly I've ridden the ronin very little. I HAVE however ridden a gel toupee and a newer phenom very regularly. Both the phenom and the gel toupe have been outstanding. I've ridden the phenom on my cross,road, And Mtb and I must say it is the best at being comfortable instantly. The gel toupe is also super comfortable bit slightly short for my continuous repositionioning on my road bike but feels superb on my cx bike. The romin is firm and serious and it looks so beautiful so I will attempt to get used to it. When you go specializedyoy won't regret. Safe bet with any over there saddles.
Old 01-31-14, 11:33 PM
taquatch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Great bike and an even better kickstand. Where do you put the Coors while your riding?
In Houston it's hot so we chug alot of beer and coors def good for that. My bike had already dropped twice from having ****ty stand on a windy day so I decided this would be better for pics
Old 02-01-14, 12:50 AM
Pinkbullet3
   

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taquatch.
You should race it with the fenders on. Just imagine the look on everyone's faces when you fly past them in the sprint for the finish.

"EAT MY DUST. Oh wait, I have fenders on, hahaha... You should appreciate that."
Old 02-01-14, 12:52 AM
fizzle

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, 2014 Caad 10, 2010 Bianchi Pista via Condotti. 2009 Kona Zing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prankster
Few updates:
Fizik seatpost
Painted green shifters
Garmin black case
Williams bottle cages

Cool looking bike!!
What crank is that? BB30 compatible?
Old 02-01-14, 01:33 AM
bahula03

Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkbullet3
You should race it with the fenders on. Just imagine the look on everyone's faces when you fly past them in the sprint for the finish.

"EAT MY DUST. Oh wait, I have fenders on, hahaha... You should appreciate that."
A+
Old 02-01-14, 10:51 AM
fizzle

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, 2014 Caad 10, 2010 Bianchi Pista via Condotti. 2009 Kona Zing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fizzle
Cool looking bike!!
What crank is that? BB30 compatible?
Ok according to some quick research looks like a SRAM red crank.
I'm looking to upgrade from stock SLK, question would a 10 speed crank work with the new ultegra 11 speed groupo?
Old 02-01-14, 11:03 AM
orangejulio87

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix with Ultegra 6700, Windsor Knight with 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a Quarq Power Meter...not sure which model. You can get them in a few different bb configurations, included BB30.
Old 02-01-14, 11:05 AM
orangejulio87

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix with Ultegra 6700, Windsor Knight with 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade from stock SLK, question would a 10 speed crank work with the new ultegra 11 speed groupo?
Did some searching...appears to be compatible without issues.
Old 02-01-14, 01:00 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prankster
Few updates:
Fizik seatpost
Painted green shifters
Garmin black case
Williams bottle cages

One of the best in this thread, maybe #3 . Where should I mail the trophy?
Old 02-01-14, 01:57 PM
fizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orangejulio87
Did some searching...appears to be compatible without issues.
Thanks
Ultimately my goal is to "black out" the bike a bit more without breaking the bank so to speak, so my other idea was to maybe just acquire some SRAM red chainrings and swap em out for the silver ones the SLK lites come with.
Both chain rings are 130 bcd so I don't see any problems regarding that issue, my concern is being the SRAM rings are 10 speed, I'm running 11 ultegra.
Any advantages/disadvantages with running this setup?

Here's a pic:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/111262973849
Old 02-01-14, 01:58 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can synapse play? Technically is says CAAD on the seat tube

But I have been thinking about selling it and picking up a CAAD10

Is anyone 6'2" riding a 56?

Last edited by Team Sarcasm; 02-01-14 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 02:13 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ok according to some quick research looks like a SRAM red crank.
https://www.fascatpowermeters.com/cop...nQo&origin=pla

Personally, if I were going to update the crankset and not go power based nor stick with ultegra/dura-ace, I'd be looking at the cannondale hollowgram/spiderring combo, or hollowgram cranks/praxis rings, or rotor cranks/praxis rings.

Old 02-01-14, 02:29 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts on your Romin Evo saddle? I've been looking at picking up a Romin or Toupe for quite some time. Struggling to find one at a good price. Plus, I've heard Romins tend to wear out the inside of bib shorts, and I can't afford that! I know, I know, "each bum is different". I'm just curious on your take on it and how long you've been riding it.
I put an Evo on both bikes and really like it. Best saddle I've used so far.
Old 02-01-14, 03:02 PM
bahula03

Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
https://www.fascatpowermeters.com/cop...nQo&origin=pla

Personally, if I were going to update the crankset and not go power based nor stick with ultegra/dura-ace, I'd be looking at the cannondale hollowgram/spiderring combo, or hollowgram cranks/praxis rings, or rotor cranks/praxis rings.
I agree. The Red cranks are plenty good and what I have on my bike, but the hollowgrams are the best BB30 option out there, barring boutique brand exotica.
Old 02-01-14, 04:27 PM
fizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
I agree. The Red cranks are plenty good and what I have on my bike, but the hollowgrams are the best BB30 option out there, barring boutique brand exotica.
I originally had my eye on the SLs:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/271313848294?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Like I said before I don't quite wanna take that leap just yet so I figure either get the complete sram RED crankset or just the black chain rings and keep the stock FSA SLK n swap out the rings running ultegra 11 speed. But damn those hollows do look amazing!
Old 02-01-14, 06:36 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snap. Ditch the Coor's Lite box and I'd be interested in some HQ pictures for my desktop! I really dig the crud fenders and the top tube bag. It makes me feel like you could ride this thing for days.

Excellent chain position as well. I bet she's (he's?) fast.

Are you aware the Romin and Romin Evo are different shapes? I switched to the Evo which "turns down more" at the wings or edges and does not wear my shorts as much. I ended up ordering $1200 in saddles and sent them all back aside from the Romin Evo.
Old 02-01-14, 09:32 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm

Can synapse play? Technically is says CAAD on the seat tube

But I have been thinking about selling it and picking up a CAAD10

Is anyone 6'2" riding a 56?
Yeah, you're cool, come on in.
Old 02-02-14, 10:21 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I originally had my eye on the SLs:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/271313848294?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Like I said before I don't quite wanna take that leap just yet so I figure either get the complete sram RED crankset or just the black chain rings and keep the stock FSA SLK n swap out the rings running ultegra 11 speed. But damn those hollows do look amazing!
I have the SLs and love them, the SiSLs or whatever are lighter, wow are they pricey.

If you watch slowtwitch/weightweenies you might be able to find some for cheaper than ebay. That said, there's nothing wrong with the Red stuff.

I'd still check out Praxis though. They're stuff is quality.
https://praxiscycles.com/road-cyclocross/

Old 02-02-14, 10:28 AM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq
Are you aware the Romin and Romin Evo are different shapes? I switched to the Evo which "turns down more" at the wings or edges and does not wear my shorts as much. I ended up ordering $1200 in saddles and sent them all back aside from the Romin Evo.
I was not aware of this difference. A sells rep did hint to the non-Evo being wider at the nose. Stating the Evo was easier on shorts around the nose area.

I'm not sure I want to wear a hole prematurely in my nice bib shorts. I understand they'll get worn out eventually, but hopefully that's years from now. I treat them all well.
Old 02-02-14, 10:38 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was not aware of this difference. A sells rep did hint to the non-Evo being wider at the nose. Stating the Evo was easier on shorts around the nose area.

I'm not sure I want to wear a hole prematurely in my nice bib shorts. I understand they'll get worn out eventually, but hopefully that's years from now. I treat them all well.
I have both 143mm saddles in my hands and they are quite different. The Evo is narrower in the nose and points down a little more, the cut-out in the center is wider on the Evo, there is more padding in the Evo, and the wings drop down more. When I switched to the Evo I had less wear from the saddle-nose inside my thigs, less wear outside my sit-bones, and no more saddle sores. There is also a grippy-patch of gloss black that runs down it that slightly grips your taint, and matches my epic CAAD10 frame perfectly.

I don't know why Specialized doesn't advertise the differences in these saddles, but they are way different.
Old 02-02-14, 12:17 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I have the SLs and love them, the SiSLs or whatever are lighter, wow are they pricey.
Pricey but awesome.

Old 02-02-14, 01:49 PM
ovoleg