Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Latest and greatest helmet 2014

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 08:45 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, what's the current super light awesome looking helmet of the year? Will aero still be the rage?

Uvex? Metz?giro,lazer,
specialized,kask? Anyone stumbled across some stellar helmets?
Old 01-31-14, 09:38 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,840 Times in 1,106 Posts
Old 01-31-14, 10:07 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Not sexy or aero, but far and away the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn: the Maraka by Kali.
Old 01-31-14, 10:22 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Uvex race 5
Old 02-01-14, 06:56 AM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro Air Attack Shield

https://www.giro.com/eu_en/air-attack-shield.html/

Specialized Evade

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr...s/sworks-evade

Kask Infinity

https://www.kask.it/product.php?cat=1&product=127#

Last edited by kleng; 02-01-14 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-01-14, 09:26 AM
Parson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Louis Garneau course deserves a look too.
Old 02-01-14, 10:11 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Some comments: the shapes of everyone's heads; sweat removal; active systems.

Do any of these "high tech" helmets address the above? By active systems, I mean it looks like they're all passive systems. No way to measure the temperatures of the head. No way to get rid of sweat. No way to really address the head shapes other than some sort of adjustable straps.

The bicycle industry has a long ways to go. They have to start thinking about the rider first, not the bike and its connected parts.
Old 02-01-14, 10:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat

Do any of these "high tech" helmets address the above? By active systems, I mean it looks like they're all passive systems. No way to measure the temperatures of the head. No way to get rid of sweat. No way to really address the head shapes other than some sort of adjustable straps.

The bicycle industry has a long ways to go. They have to start thinking about the rider first, not the bike and its connected parts.
Interesting ideas overall, but I wonder why would a helmet need to actively adapt to your head shape, which does not change? And why measure the temperature of your head if there's nothing you can do about it (and really, you know when you feel hot anyway)? As for getting rid of sweat, all helmets have pads to absorb it, and high quality helmets direct airflow across the head to manage temp and sweating, but actually getting rid of sweat altogether-- either by preventing it or transporting it, presumably away from the eyes-- is a feature I've not seen, but would be interesting to see developed into a functional element. I guess it gets to the idea of active temp management, like an integrated cooling system, like those found in auto racing suits.

Of course, cost/weight/benefit analyses kinda make that stuff look impractical, don't they?
Old 02-01-14, 10:46 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat

To address a problem passively is typically the better solution in terms of technology. You don't need to measure temperature to provide adequate flow and ventilation with which to provide evaporation...that's akin to monitoring the performance of a chimney. You design the function into the passive system, it always works. That is elegance in design.
Old 02-01-14, 11:47 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Any aero advantage by any helmet is snake oil being preached to reel in the suckers who believe that suddenly they're going to gain 3 mph on their average speed, when in reality it will be far closer to 0 mph gain! Don't buy a helmet for being more aero over another. The best technology currently being offered in helmets is the MIPS protection system, in America Scott offers that as an option on a few of their models, the Stego, Torus, Lin, and Taal. Otherwise if looks is more important than protection just buy whatever looks good to you they will all have the same federal safety requirement except the MIPS design takes it further.

This is quite lengthy but it goes through the current safety rating and test and the MIPS testing; https://www.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html
Old 02-01-14, 12:43 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Parson
Louis Garneau course deserves a look too.
Yup, heard great things about the course and add that to the aero helmets and the casco.

Sub 200gram class we have what? Limar ultralight, POC barely but hideous, Louis garneau x-lite.

I've heard comfort goes to kask. I forgot about Kali, I should look into them and have also heard lazer is pretty comfy albeit head type plays a role
Old 02-01-14, 01:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by thechemist
Yup, heard great things about the course and add that to the aero helmets and the casco.

Sub 200gram class we have what? Limar ultralight, POC barely but hideous, Louis garneau x-lite.

I've heard comfort goes to kask. I forgot about Kali, I should look into them and have also heard lazer is pretty comfy albeit head type plays a role
At 215gm for the 52-56, the Uvex Boss Race should be tempting; it's a great helmet in my experience, and my go-to helmet for fast, hot, rides where cooling and lightness are important.

I also have a Dux Helm (which I love, esp. for spring/fall) and an old Limar F107 which was a good all 'rounder (now backup commuter/utility use).
Old 02-01-14, 04:14 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
At 215gm for the 52-56, the Uvex Boss Race should be tempting; it's a great helmet in my experience, and my go-to helmet for fast, hot, rides where cooling and lightness are important.

I also have a Dux Helm (which I love, esp. for spring/fall) and an old Limar F107 which was a good all 'rounder (now backup commuter/utility use).
Good stuff, thanks and I will put it on my short list!~
Old 02-01-14, 04:21 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,247 Times in 1,509 Posts
I've never tried Kask but I haven't heard anyone that owns one saying they don't like them.

I have last years model S-Works and it's very cool. So cool in the winter I use a liner from an old Giro to keep my hear warm. I don't know how the new ones are but I assume Specialized is concerned with air flow and cooling based on my experience with the older one.
Old 02-01-14, 05:00 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Any aero advantage by any helmet is snake oil being preached to reel in the suckers who believe that suddenly they're going to gain 3 mph on their average speed, when in reality it will be far closer to 0 mph gain! Don't buy a helmet for being more aero over another. The best technology currently being offered in helmets is the MIPS protection system, in America Scott offers that as an option on a few of their models, the Stego, Torus, Lin, and Taal. Otherwise if looks is more important than protection just buy whatever looks good to you they will all have the same federal safety requirement except the MIPS design takes it further.

This is quite lengthy but it goes through the current safety rating and test and the MIPS testing; https://www.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html
True that.
Pocs is another MIPS style helmet. After my last crash I am more interested in a safer helmet/MIPs than I am with style aero and ventilation
Old 02-01-14, 06:15 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
True that.
Pocs is another MIPS style helmet. After my last crash I am more interested in a safer helmet/MIPs than I am with style aero and ventilation
So POCs is MIP rated? It's too bad that the Scott upper end road helmets aren't MIPS rated yet.

I am however one of those guys that prefers weight and aero to safety. It is a nice touch if it's MIPS rated but I won't go out of my way to get one.
Old 02-01-14, 06:18 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I've never tried Kask but I haven't heard anyone that owns one saying they don't like them.

I have last years model S-Works and it's very cool. So cool in the winter I use a liner from an old Giro to keep my hear warm. I don't know how the new ones are but I assume Specialized is concerned with air flow and cooling based on my experience with the older one.
Yes, no doubt kask owners are REAL happy with the comfort of their lids. I hear the same thing from lazer owners. I just don't get the comfort thing, I mean every lid I own has been reasonable. Sure, some are a bit more adjustable but it has never been a big deal for me. Some helmets can be a pain to adjust with a heavy wool hat on for winter but meh. I prefer weight and aero to comfort and really any high end helmet is moderately comfy.
Old 02-01-14, 06:33 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

rekmeyata - thank you for posting the link. I hadn't seen that article. If the industry does start introducing new helmets I guess I'll be watching and budgeting when they arrive on the shelves. For now, MIPS doesn't seem to be hugely significant (though I'm going to take another look at it) but within a couple of years improved MIPS and shock-absorption might just be available to us.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 02-01-14, 06:38 PM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I know the POC road helmet is a bit different looking, but I cant wait to try one on, and if the fit is good, buy one. I kind of dig it. Reminds me a bit of a hairnet.
Old 02-01-14, 06:58 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott Stego with MIPS:
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 02-01-14, 07:24 PM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah but they look pretty cool!

Old 02-01-14, 07:35 PM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bell Gage. Dunno how late and great it is, but team BMC uses it, and it can be had for a hundred bucks on sale. Nice style, lightweight, great helmet
Old 02-01-14, 07:40 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup, that scott sure is ugly, won't be getting that bad boy. So Aero does look pro and there is a bit of an advantage albeit minimal assuming it keeps your cool. I prefer lightweight but I have heavily considered specialized aero lid
Old 02-01-14, 07:41 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motolegs
Bell Gage. Dunno how late and great it is, but team BMC uses it, and it can be had for a hundred bucks on sale. Nice style, lightweight, great helmet
right! I have looked at the bell gage and its fits all the qualities I am looking for to a certain degree. I mean not the best at anything but man that price is killer!
Old 02-01-14, 07:54 PM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a lot of helmet for the money. Got one in matte black, there are other cool colors that were sold out at a favorite online retailer. Great quality stuff, highly recommended!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.