Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction XXXII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction XXXII

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 04:13 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jtm54
I am also looking into a new water heater as mine is 22 years old; I know each day I have a hot shower is a blessing. I have LP gas so a little different boat, but from what I can tell tankless works great if you can place them near each outlet, i.e. one per bathroom, kitchen and laundry. The small ones for gas are relatively cheap. To have one for the whole house requires a pretty expensive option. My plan is to replace with a new tank type. Depending on your water quality and how long you plan to be in the house it may also be smart to add a filter. My water is not great from my well and has created lots of problems for me.
I would be careful if you see a "relatively cheap" gas fired on demand water heater. Some of the tricks I have seen: most gas fireds, IIRC, will be in the 120-180k BTU range, and will require a powered vent attached. I have seen some units for sale that look like a deal until you see that they don't include the $400 vent. These things will also sound like a blast furnace when they go off, but you can get hot water flow rates that are 2-3 times that of electric.

The benefit of gas is that you are not as limited as far as temp rise as electic units. Most of the electric on demands are 70 or 90 degree, which means you will never get past 140 deg water unless you put two in series. Depending on placement and flow, they may take longer than you think to actually produce worthwhile hot water.

My data on this is old, but in a previous employee, the company owner wanted instant, and I mean instant, hot water at any potential hot water source in his home. We ended up creating a system with multiple units and perpetual temperature regulated flow through all of his hot water pipes. It was a pain, but some fun engineering. No one else in the free world would ever want it, but it gave me the chance to research different styles of units and their limitations.
Old 02-09-14, 04:14 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
LoP now declares he is not, in fact, in possession of a digital scale so I guess the jury is still out.
We knew that. LoP has shown pictures of his scale. It is the type referred to in the indictment as "narcotics paraphenalia".
Old 02-09-14, 04:26 PM
jtm54

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv., Tsunami Cross, Trek Madone 4.7

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
I would be careful if you see a "relatively cheap" gas fired on demand water heater. Some of the tricks I have seen: most gas fireds, IIRC, will be in the 120-180k BTU range, and will require a powered vent attached. I have seen some units for sale that look like a deal until you see that they don't include the $400 vent. These things will also sound like a blast furnace when they go off, but you can get hot water flow rates that are 2-3 times that of electric.
I did not know about the powered vent; thanks for the heads up. I went away from that idea pretty quick thinking about redoing plumbing for all the water and LP. I will probably only be in my house 5 more years and really don't see a fast value for the work. Also, other than laundry every outlet is within 25 ft. from the tank so I get hot water fast enough.
Old 02-09-14, 04:35 PM
Herbie53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In case there was any doubt that running is dumb...

https://deadspin.com/runner-eats-it-i...nin-1519107024
Old 02-09-14, 05:15 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,937 Times in 2,647 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53

When the roads look like that, I put on another pot of coffee.
Old 02-09-14, 05:19 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 126 Times in 81 Posts

Ouch.

80 minutes on the trainer today. No running.
Old 02-09-14, 05:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,569 Times in 4,424 Posts
BTW the small hot water heaters (30-40 Gal) are pretty inexpensive, 300 bucks. Turns out the larger one (80 Gal) are easily double that. With 3 females in my house, I am looking at the larger one. Plus, that's the size we have now so the setup will be easier/cheaper if we replace current unit with one of the same size.
Old 02-09-14, 05:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,547 Times in 4,555 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
When the roads look like that, I put on another pot of coffee.
Coffee's good for after a nice snow ride. I was thinking of heading out for another spin so I could get some mesquite charcoal but the snow's getting way soft in a lot of places so I'm staying in 'til it's good hardpack everywhere once again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/112291693
Old 02-09-14, 05:31 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Anyone know much about electric hot water heaters??

Here is my story. Current hot water heater was here when we moved in 12.5 years ago but I think it was relatively new, so I would guess it's 14 - 16 years old. It's 82 Gallons. I know you are supposed to drain these things periodically but I have pretty much ignored it.

A couple of weeks ago my wife and kids were complaining that there was not enough hot water for a bath. I only take showers so I don't have a problem. I looked at the unit and noticed that the lower element (there are two) needed the "reset" button pushed.

I also turned up the temp a notch on both elements. It's nice and hot now and they don't need to be reset, but family still says hot water runs out if taking a bath or long shower.

So from what I can tell, I have three options:

A. Buy new heating elements for both top and bottom, and DIY. I read the manual and I think I can do this, although it may be a hassle. Cost approx $100.

B. Get professional plumber/electrician to analyze problem and fix. The parts may be cheaper since I suspect only one element and/or thermostat needs to be replaced, but we are going to pay a premium for the work. Estimated cost $250.

C. Get new heater. Approx cost for heater + installation is maybe $600.

I have heard that life expectancy for hot water heaters is only about 10-12 years, so it sounds like our unit is living beyond its range anyway, so that makes C the apparent winner.

But I am open to suggestions.

BTW we don't have gas, only electric. I would consider one of those new "on demand" tankless water heaters but I have heard that they are very pricey and at current electicity rates take something like 20 years to pay for themselves, and they don't have a long track record on longevity.

Suggestions??

Sounds like the Dip tube has eroded. As you use hot water, cold water refils the space vacated. The Dip tube puts the cold water at the bottom of the tank. This minimizes mixing of cold and hot water allowing the heated water to be used first. Some tanks use a plastic tube that needs to be replaced periodicly.some use metal and are subject to electrolysis. Iam haing a similar problem with mine
As time goes on the tube becomes shorter and allows mixing sooner and sooner

Last edited by ls01; 02-09-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 05:43 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,197 Times in 3,719 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
We knew that. LoP has shown pictures of his scale. It is the type referred to in the indictment as "narcotics paraphenalia".
Objection your honor!!! The type of scale equipment in question has been around since long before narcotic substances invaded this great land of ours. As Mr. LoP's counsel I vehemently resent the tawdry and scurrilous implications being made by Mr. CNY. If his scale was ever indeed put to use for any past illicit activities, my client was completely unaware of it, and would be shocked and appalled to hear of any such transgressions after the fact. APPALLED I tell you!!
Old 02-09-14, 06:13 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 324 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
BTW the small hot water heaters (30-40 Gal) are pretty inexpensive, 300 bucks. Turns out the larger one (80 Gal) are easily double that. With 3 females in my house, I am looking at the larger one. Plus, that's the size we have now so the setup will be easier/cheaper if we replace current unit with one of the same size.
If the shower is a long way from the heater tank, insulate the pipes if you can get to them. Heating up the pipes and sending heat into the air around them can cost you a few gallons of hot water in one shower. Do you have a modern flow reducing shower head, with a built in shut off to shut off the water when you soap up? They are cheap. The family may complain about the "force" of the water coming out. But they will get over it after a few showers. Depending on the layout and design of your system the pipe insulation and the shower head may solve your problem. It's also possible they won't, but it's cheap to try.

An old shower head can be about 15 gallons per minute. The new one is around 3 gallons per minute. 10 minute showers ? 150 gallons or 30 gallons is a big difference. If you have an 80 gallon tank not all 80 gallons will be at maximum temperature.

If the water coming from the tank is 125 F and you need to blend in a little cold to get it down below 120, not all the gallons used will be from the hot water tank when taking a shower. But it could easily drain an 80 gallon tank in one shower. The size of the tank, the power of the heating elements, the insulation of the tank, and even heat loss through adjoining pipes all effect how long it takes to recover the tank when it's cold too.

edit: If everyone in the house is going to take showers consecutively, 80 gallons may be too small.

Also adding more insulation to the outside of the existing tank will help a little. The difference in the temperature at the top and the bottom won't be quite as much.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 02-09-14 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 08:37 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,281 Times in 3,011 Posts
I might have to run up to Fort Collins next Saturday and give The Oval a shot. See how I feel for the next weekends race.
Old 02-09-14, 09:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,197 Times in 3,719 Posts
I knew that "Super stiff frame" thread was going to be full of win.
Old 02-09-14, 09:39 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
The beer I'm brewing is going to be a honey nut brown ale.
Old 02-09-14, 09:56 PM
Herbie53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
My downtube has a high modulus. Does that make for a harsh ride?
Old 02-09-14, 10:12 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,458 Times in 7,255 Posts
...thank you. I hate it when I miss stuff like that. #I_like_to_watch
Old 02-09-14, 10:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,547 Times in 4,555 Posts
Today I had a whole day to kill, so smoked some beef.

Old 02-09-14, 10:29 PM
3alarmer

My downtube has a high modulus. Does that make for a harsh ride?
...a high modulus harshes my mellow.
Old 02-09-14, 11:27 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Mmmm, meat and potatoes.
Old 02-09-14, 11:39 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

I finally got around to having Mrs. rjones28 take my cycling measurements. Plugged them in to CC and WS. WS TT recommendation was 1cm longer than CC.
Old 02-10-14, 12:19 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

I also tried the Pedal Force calculator. It's recommendation is 5mm less than CC.
Old 02-10-14, 12:36 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by rjones28
I also tried the Pedal Force calculator. It's recommendation is 5mm less than CC.
It also recommended a 75° seat tube angle. Weird.
Old 02-10-14, 01:07 AM
3alarmer

....you can make yourself crazy with different fit calculators. You've said yourself you don't have that far to go.
Old 02-10-14, 01:19 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....you can make yourself crazy with different fit calculators. You've said yourself you don't have that far to go.

these calculations just get you in the ball park. that's why when I built my last bike, I had a dead cheapo stem and seatpost and just hoped they worked. As it turned out they didn't and I replaced both.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-10-14, 01:21 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some guys zipped by while I was out birding yesterday. I thought of Pcad since I was in his neck of the woods, but remembered he rides alone most times.

In that freezing weather I bet there is a high chance of ice patches. I need to htfu.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.