Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Repent your hipsterish ways! Confess for the good of your soul!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Repent your hipsterish ways! Confess for the good of your soul!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 10:54 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I have decided that I no longer know any of you.. damn hipsters.
Old 02-10-14, 11:27 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I didn't know having zillions of LP's makes a statement. We have almost a zillion, and we've been playing some lately.
A zillion LPs....no, since your collection began when only LPs were available. You didn't create this collection recently because of a conforming trend that makes you 'stand out as a rebellious individual'. Irony. Rebuttal to the hippie comment....hippies were the spoiled offspring of the post WWII boom generation.
Old 02-10-14, 11:32 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,550 Times in 1,158 Posts
I thought "hipster" was something that someone else called you.
Aren't you, by definition, not a hipster if you call yourself one?
Brent
Old 02-10-14, 11:49 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
You know the only unifying trait of hipsters is complaining about hipsters, right?

Old 02-10-14, 12:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,054 Times in 1,646 Posts
My 16 year assures me that I am not hipster, can't ever have been, and will never be.

I still have hopes

Skinny jeans....not in a million years with my calves (and in any time when skinny jeans were in style)

I drink and occaisonal beer......back in the starving days lucky lager

Music....my mp3 has flogging molly and vampire diary on it.....but the louis prima, blasters, punk and zydeco probably neutralize that

No fixie for me but have built two with/for the teenager

This is my ride that sorta qualifies me as a hipster, but the kid just says I am a bike geek.....live with.... so I will

Old 02-10-14, 12:18 PM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued

Impractical old murdered out vehicle....check! Actually trying to sell this heap right now...

In what universe is a Bronco (sorry Ramcharger, my bad) impractical?

I always wear a beard (hides my weak chin), but ALWAYS well groomed and never on the neck
I MAKE my own beer (and have never drank Ballantine or PBR)
I hate kitsch
I shower regularly
I've never rocked the cowboy boots
Penny t-shirts are stupid
Jeans - boot cut and cut for full range of movement
I ride old bikes, but make sure to leave the derrailleurs on them
I do have a (straw) fedora, strictly for the beach or chilling in the pool with the aforementioned homebrew
I hate cats
Why would anyone want records when they can have an iSomething (playing period-performance baroque on lossless through great headphones is awesome)?
White socks only work with sneakers, and those sneakers shall not look like something out of the 80's.
I drink Maxwell House coffee
I do drink espresso, but my FiL is Italian and got me into it, so I get a bye, right?
I have to admit, I do like a good haircut and straight razor shave at a good barbershop, and I do use pomade.
Old 02-10-14, 12:58 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
A zillion LPs....no, since your collection began when only LPs were available. You didn't create this collection recently because of a conforming trend that makes you 'stand out as a rebellious individual'. Irony. Rebuttal to the hippie comment....hippies were the spoiled offspring of the post WWII boom generation.
No, no, WNG, the way the true hipster starts his collection is by raiding his parents' record closet. I've seen this happen a lot. Suddenly everyone flaunts with his or her daddy's copy of Dark Side of the Moon. Not always with full permission... I must be a really unlucky hipster, since my old man's record collection consists of Karajan renditions of Beethoven and Harnoncourt discs!
Old 02-10-14, 05:45 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
^
Old 02-10-14, 05:55 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I'm a hippie.
Old 02-10-14, 06:32 PM
Bikedued

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
It gets around 8-9mpg on a good day. To drive 3 miles a day to work, it was costing me about $30-$35 a week. In the Miata, which isn't exactly an economy car, that cost was cut in half.,,,,BD

Yep, 5.9 liter, with a gas sucking 4 barrel.

Originally Posted by wintermute
In what universe is a Bronco (sorry Ramcharger, my bad) impractical?

I always wear a beard (hides my weak chin), but ALWAYS well groomed and never on the neck
I MAKE my own beer (and have never drank Ballantine or PBR)
I hate kitsch
I shower regularly
I've never rocked the cowboy boots
Penny t-shirts are stupid
Jeans - boot cut and cut for full range of movement
I ride old bikes, but make sure to leave the derrailleurs on them
I do have a (straw) fedora, strictly for the beach or chilling in the pool with the aforementioned homebrew
I hate cats
Why would anyone want records when they can have an iSomething (playing period-performance baroque on lossless through great headphones is awesome)?
White socks only work with sneakers, and those sneakers shall not look like something out of the 80's.
I drink Maxwell House coffee
I do drink espresso, but my FiL is Italian and got me into it, so I get a bye, right?
I have to admit, I do like a good haircut and straight razor shave at a good barbershop, and I do use pomade.

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-10-14 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-10-14, 06:44 PM
iab

Liked 3,951 Times in 1,441 Posts
If you go with the ironic thing, something so uncool that is cool, I win. I'm so hip I need to go through a door sideways.
Old 02-10-14, 07:21 PM
Bledfor Days

Bikes: Vintage cheapies and some modern stuff.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I confess I ride a Linus city bike around PDX (that's hipsterspeak for Portland, OR.) It's complete with Pletscher center stand, Brooks B-67, and Russian ammo pouches on the rack for hipster accessories, vapor cig, pipe, etc... Please don't hate me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Linus.jpg (75.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-10-14, 07:46 PM
Bikedued

I have two pairs of vintage Puma shoes. And even more strange than that, I seem to find at least one pair of vintage Pumas every time I go to a thrift store. RobbieTunes bought the pair of cycle touring Pumas I found, that were a 1/2 size too small. I was pretty bummed that they didn't fit, but at least they went to a good home.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-10-14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-10-14, 08:32 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I have two pairs of vintage Puma shoes. And even more strange than that, I seem to find at least one pair of vintage Pumas every time I go to a thrift store. RobbieTunes bought the pair of cycle touring Pumas I found, that were a 1/2 size too small. I was pretty bummed that they didn't fit, but at least they went to a good home.,,,,BD
I don't care who you are, those are cool
Old 02-10-14, 08:40 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
It gets around 8-9mpg on a good day. To drive 3 miles a day to work, it was costing me about $30-$35 a week. In the Miata, which isn't exactly an economy car, that cost was cut in half.,,,,BD

Yep, 5.9 liter, with a gas sucking 4 barrel.
If you can deliver I'd take it...
Old 02-10-14, 08:56 PM
Bikedued

Does YEG mean Alberta? If you cover the gas, meals, and lodging there and back, in addition to the vehicle cost?,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-10-14 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-10-14, 10:29 PM
bici_mania

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I have had a few people tell me that I am a hipster in the last few years but before that I was called a hippy. Truth is I am to young to be a true hippy and to old to be a hipster. My wife and kids just call me weird.

I thoroughly enjoy seeing the 60' s 70's and 80's repackaged and sold to today's generation. I like telling them about when their cool new fad came around the first time. They tend to not be as entertained by that as I am.
Old 02-10-14, 11:42 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've given up on trying to make sense of this whole thing, I just do as I please. I can't even keep track of trends anymore, its too confusing. I'm just a 30 year old, nihilistic, apathetic misanthrope. I suppose that means I pay too much attention to things that actually matter to make me a hipster.
[MENTION=13229]Bikedued[/MENTION]: If you were near me I'd try to take that old Dodge off of your hands

It is a bit odd that so much that is considered hipsteresque is stuff us C&Vers are into regardless of the trends.
Old 02-11-14, 05:35 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Vinyl I got, most of it has been converted to MP3... including the 78's.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-11-14, 06:21 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Does YEG mean Alberta? If you cover the gas, meals, and lodging there and back, in addition to the vehicle cost?,,,,BD
Seriously... I told my daughters to never talk to anyone who drives a truck that looks like that.

That and vans that have "Free Candy" written on the side.
Old 02-11-14, 10:06 AM
Bledfor Days

Bikes: Vintage cheapies and some modern stuff.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was in "YEG" on Saturday. Not too many of those trucks around anymore.
Old 02-11-14, 10:36 AM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For my .02 worth, I think hipsters are closer to beatniks than hippie wannabes. There, I said it, Maynard Krebs lives on! My daughter, the barista, has all the classic traits. She rides a Bianchi Pista everywhere, doesn't own or want a car, and plays our old LPs at her coffee shop. She now has a very nice KOF Medici (with gears!) and goes on longer rides. She just finished her first century, with me, last weekend. I think the hipsters share a lot of my values and traits, so yeah, I'm with them!

Jim
Old 02-11-14, 10:37 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by leaping_gnome
For my .02 worth, I think hipsters are closer to beatniks than hippie wannabes. There, I said it, Maynard Krebs lives on! My daughter, the barista, has all the classic traits. She rides a Bianchi Pista everywhere, doesn't own or want a car, and plays our old LPs at her coffee shop. She now has a very nice KOF Medici (with gears!) and goes on longer rides. She just finished her first century, with me, last weekend. I think the hipsters share a lot of my values and traits, so yeah, I'm with them!

Jim
I could have sworn hippies evolved from beatniks.. and over time evolved into hipsters.. with a bunch of weird steps in between.
Old 02-11-14, 10:44 AM
More Cowbell
Lanterne Rouge

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No bikes sans derailleur.
I do have one of these that was a gift. It sometimes gets worn under my helmet

And I do have a Volvo but probably not the right model:

I do wear these on occasion
Attached Images
hamms.jpg (5.9 KB, 11 views)
volvo.jpg (92.0 KB, 10 views)
tiger shoes.jpg (91.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-11-14, 10:51 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
I guess I'm not even hip enough to know what the term hipster means. Still like to play with DOS. Way back was driving BMW's.... had a 1966 2000 Ti Lux with seat belts and used them decades before the law required! Still like and have speedy rear engine air cooled cars << Like old smiley's stickers too. Same as a poster above - have a Marantz 2275 receiver with partial burn't bulbs.... piles of vinyl. Use old machines and machinery... will waste hours restoring some of them. Will drag rusty bikes home, even a Huffy, make something of it and give away. Ski all disciplines on old stuff.... woody's too. Sometimes sport a hip flask when out on the night of the town. Drag an old skateboard out on occasion, show off to the g.kids.... scary.

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-11-14 at 10:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.