Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Pedal Clearance??

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Pedal Clearance??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 07:01 PM
stevenlsmith87

Bikes: NONE

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Pedal Clearance??

Hey Everyone.

I am wondering what should be the minimal amount of pedal clearance that someone would be okay with getting away with. I have had no issues with my Trek DS 8.2 with rigid fork, but the other day thought my pedal when in the down position looked liked if I took a turn to sharp I might have an issue. The geometry of the bike is the same as when I had the suspension fork on the front. I had the bike shop install the fork and it is suspension corrected.

Just curious as what you guys thought is an okay pedal clearance. I have yet to measure it exactly....I will have to sometime tomorrow.
Old 03-24-14, 08:17 PM
dazevedo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If I read this right any bike will have an issue with pedal strike if the inside pedal is in the down position and at a sharp enough lean angle, which is why if you're taking a right hand turn the right pedal should be in the upper most position and left pedal for left turn. If you mean toe overlap with the front tire again upper position will fix that also.
Old 03-25-14, 06:51 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That issue is not the equipment it is the rider. Don't turn with the pedal in the down position. If the proper fork is installed and the suspension is set properly the bike should sit relatively level with you on it. There is no "standard" pedal height.
Old 03-25-14, 08:42 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I think that even racers who like to pedal through corners when they can need to keep their inner pedal up when they lean into a hard corner... If it is alright for the guy in the yellow jersey to coast through a turn, I assume it is ok for me.

Plus, I feel more stable with my inner pedal up, placing some weight on the outer pedal... I don't know if it is all in my head, but I feel more confident.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-25-14, 08:52 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Liked 1,049 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I think that even racers who like to pedal through corners when they can need to keep their inner pedal up when they lean into a hard corner... If it is alright for the guy in the yellow jersey to coast through a turn, I assume it is ok for me.

Plus, I feel more stable with my inner pedal up, placing some weight on the outer pedal... I don't know if it is all in my head, but I feel more confident.
That is because you are lowering your center of gravity, as well as lowering the point in which the weight is applied - from the saddle to the pedal. This is one way to turn a corner. The other is to pedal furiously without clipping the pavement