Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So...guide me in the right direction...please...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 10:16 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts

I have my main bikes. The one I ride (LeMond), the one I just love (Torpado), and the one I commute on (Bianchi Limited turned Townie). Now I want to build my N + 1, and I want it to have fancy lugs (Nervex style, not Hetchins...I don't have that kind of coin). Not much of anything comes up for sale around me in my size (60cm-ish). Plus, I don't know which brands I should be looking at...and which I should not.

I am sure there are a lot of things that I am missing, but I want this bike to be a slow build...something that I can set goals with and work on.

Any suggestions? Brands? For sale? Etc....

Thanks...oh and pictures would be great too!
Old 04-04-14, 05:17 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 356 Posts

I'd first ask what bikes do you like? And what sort if bike do you want?

French bikes used Nervex lugs quite a bit. Peugeot PX-10, Motobecane Grand Record.

Can't go wrong with a Schwinn Paramount.

Another forum member just discovered his chrome bike is a Mondia, great paint jobs on these.

Raleighs - the Super Course, International, some Competitions.
Old 04-04-14, 05:43 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Agree with what's been mentioned above. Fancy lugs on a somewhat less expensive classic bike makes me think 60-70's Peugeot like a PX10. Maybe an early Gitane, or one of the desirable Raleighs. Going a bit later, sometimes you can find a Serotta or Masi for less than a kings ransom.

Lower cost project might be taking one of the early lugged MTB's and doing a 650b project. Some of those are diamond(back)s in the rough. No fancy lugs, more of a blank canvas...
Old 04-04-14, 05:57 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 96 Posts
Early '70s Motobecane Grand Jubiles are really, really nice bikes, and are bargain priced. But, you might fall between their sizes (as I do), and I have had a couple that had misaligned forks. Still, very much worth considering....
Old 04-04-14, 06:30 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Early '70s Motobecane Grand Jubiles are really, really nice bikes, and are bargain priced. ...
+1 for the Moto's.
Don't forget the Capella/Nervex lugged Raleigh Super Courses though - these are superb riders and commonly seen in the 23-1/2" size.
Old 04-04-14, 07:22 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Paramount
Old 04-04-14, 07:43 AM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Perfect. Thanks. I knew about the Paramounts...main problem is so does everyone else ($$$).

I was thinking about a PX 10, but like the idea of the Raleigh a little better. I don't know why.
Old 04-04-14, 07:57 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Essthreetee
I am sure there are a lot of things that I am missing, but I want this bike to be a slow build...something that I can set goals with and work on.

Any suggestions? Brands? For sale? Etc....
You've gotten some great answers, but I'd say to the wrong questions. First ask yourself, even if you can't answer or if the answer is admittedly fluid:

What is your intent for this bike, to ride or to restore and admire and ride only occasionally? It make a different in what you'll "settle for" and how you equip it.
What kinds or cultures of bikes perk your interest? No point in building, say, a beach cruiser or an unusual nationality touring bike if they don't interest you.
Why are you doing this, because you enjoy the building process or because certain bikes speak to you emotionally?

Once you have a reasonable answer then you can start looking around. Don't limit yourself to a particular brand unless you are attracted to it for its own sake or a particular model you admired years ago, e.g. PX10, Grand Record, Paramount, Fuji Finest (Bestest?). Or maybe you just want something exotic and pretty and rare. You look around for the frame. The right one will speak to you, and then you'll lose the ebay auction and look around some more, maybe re-evaluate your goals. Eventually the right bike will show up on your doorstep.
Old 04-04-14, 07:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,835 Posts

I was thinking about a PX 10, but like the idea of the Raleigh a little better. I don't know why.
Not having to deal with french-ness?

Old 04-04-14, 08:03 AM
strock 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly

Lower cost project might be taking one of the early lugged MTB's and doing a 650b project. Some of those are diamond(back)s in the rough. No fancy lugs, more of a blank canvas...
Interesting idea. I've got an '83 Diamondback Ridge Runner with reasonably fancy lugs. Came with awful rattle-can repaint, but at some point I'll probably spend the time and energy (or $$) to do it up right, and it's gonna look really spiffy.
Old 04-04-14, 03:17 PM
Essthreetee

Originally Posted by jimmuller
You've gotten some great answers, but I'd say to the wrong questions. First ask yourself, even if you can't answer or if the answer is admittedly fluid:

What is your intent for this bike, to ride or to restore and admire and ride only occasionally? It make a different in what you'll "settle for" and how you equip it.
What kinds or cultures of bikes perk your interest? No point in building, say, a beach cruiser or an unusual nationality touring bike if they don't interest you.
Why are you doing this, because you enjoy the building process or because certain bikes speak to you emotionally?

Once you have a reasonable answer then you can start looking around. Don't limit yourself to a particular brand unless you are attracted to it for its own sake or a particular model you admired years ago, e.g. PX10, Grand Record, Paramount, Fuji Finest (Bestest?). Or maybe you just want something exotic and pretty and rare. You look around for the frame. The right one will speak to you, and then you'll lose the ebay auction and look around some more, maybe re-evaluate your goals. Eventually the right bike will show up on your doorstep.

The intent if this bike would be for the occasional ride, the occasional commute, but more for the enjoyment if building and admiring. Not wanting to do a full on restoration, but rather starting with a frame in good condition and building a comfy, cool rider. No beach cruisers or big tires. Only lookin for a roadbike with some class.
Old 04-04-14, 03:25 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Perfect. Thanks. I knew about the Paramounts...main problem is so does everyone else ($$$).

I would try this.

Peugeot PX-10
Old 04-04-14, 04:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 913 Posts
Centurion Semi Pro
Centurion Pro Tour
Basso/D'Arienzo (south Florida)
Lotus Excelle (I think)

Chromed lugs, very nice paint, and a blank canvass otherwise.
Old 04-04-14, 04:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,591 Posts
What budget ???

here are a couple of example in the bay area...not too big of a drive fron SLO (if I recall your location correctly)

not super fance lugs, but nice long points Vintage 1973 Holdsworth Mistral Road Bike 60cm - $1295 (mountain view)
Vintage 1973 Holdsworth Mistral Road Bike 60cm

motebcane 57 Vintage Motobecane Grand Jubile with Vitus Tubing, BEAUTIFUL ! - $375 (san jose south)
Vintage Motobecane Grand Jubile with Vitus Tubing, BEAUTIFUL !

another motebecane for the wife bike Womens Motobecane Mixte Road/Commuter Bike

gitane hard to tell from pic details Cycle Gitane (Made in France) Vintage Road Bicycle - $100 (san jose downtown)
Cycle Gitane (Made in France) Vintage Road Bicycle

peugot 60 cm claim 531 Peugeot Road Bike * 60cm - $345 (campbell)
Peugeot Road Bike * 60cm

raleigh Full English-58cm Raleigh Super Course 12-Carlton-Orange-Reynolds 531 - $400 (san jose Full English-58cm Raleigh Super Course 12-Carlton-Orange-Reynolds 531

raleigh very little infor...vintage road bike - $200 (san jose north)
vintage road bike

raleigh competiong in parts 1974 Raleigh Competition Bicycle - $400 (san jose east)
1974 Raleigh Competition Bicycle

Old 04-04-14, 07:12 PM
Essthreetee

Budget...obviously cheaper is always better, but if a bike screams to me and is a decent deal, I have $600 to spend.
Old 04-04-14, 10:17 PM
pakman
ad hoc bicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Schwinn volare has nice chrome lugs and has been referred to as the Japanese Paramount.
Old 04-04-14, 11:51 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 2,210 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller

+1. This is great advice. If you aren't set on a specific brand, there's no point in limiting your options. If you want a beautiful classic to build up slowly and enjoy on fine weather days, keep your eyes and ears open and one will find you. My problem is that too many bikes speak to me! Check in on CR list and Paceline forums, as there are often beautiful bikes for sale by people who also appreciate what you are looking to find. There are a lot of fantastic, unheralded US builders, who spent too much time filing away at that perfect lug point to stay in business.

Maybe something from these lists will speak to you:
Directory Of Custom American Handmade Road Bike Frame Builders | CYCLOPHILIAC - American Made Cycling
FrameBuilderSource > Framebuilders

Could you make a 62cm work?
62cm Super Mondia Vintage Road Bike Frameset Campagnolo Phil BB