Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Road Bike, Help!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First Road Bike, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 03:38 PM
lvaclarinet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Road Bike, Help!

Greetings all,

I'm going to be purchasing my first road bike very soon and am a bit confused, this is where I need your assistance!

I have been fitted for and have ridden a few bikes, but am unsure if I should purchase an entry-level bike (Raleigh Capri 1, Giant Avail 5 or Trek Lexa) with basic shimano claris components or spend $180 more for a Novara* from REI (online, not in stock at my store) with a carbon fork and shimano 105 groupset. There are so many options and at this point, I'm so overloaded with Shimano this and carbon, I need all the assistance I can get

Novara Carema Pro Women's Bike - 2014 at REI.com

*The Novara is more bang for your buck when it comes to the upgraded components, but should I stick to an entry-level bike because I'll have direct access from a local bike shop.

Will a beginner really notice a difference between an aluminum vs carbon fork? I plan to go at least 20 miles when I ride to begin, but plan to increase that number quickly.

Has anyone heard anything about any of the above bikes? I can not find reviews on any of them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-14, 03:43 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,698 Times in 2,174 Posts
Won't the local REI put it together and service it for you? I'd get the better bike as long as you have someone who will work on it for you. You can (and should) learn how to do your own work but you want it set up right the first time.
Old 04-10-14, 03:57 PM
Gramin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Won't the local REI put it together and service it for you? I'd get the better bike as long as you have someone who will work on it for you. You can (and should) learn how to do your own work but you want it set up right the first time.
Agreed. Seeing as how this is your first road bike, buy it from an LBS that's as close as possible to your home. For the first time buyer, I think LBS should be near the top of your "What I want in a bike" list. You're going to need a good LBS, one that can help you out, show you a few things, not screw you over. The relationship with them will make the relationship with your bike that much better. A lot of these shops offer free maintenance and tune ups for a year. That will help. And Youtube videos are great, but nothing competes with seeing it in person and having a helping hand.

You're not going to find that considerable of a difference going from one groupset to the groupset one step above. If you have the cash, go for it. If not, don't. This is your starter bike. Biggest concern should be fit. If it don't fit, you're going to hate it. And again, that's where the LBS comes in.
Old 04-10-14, 04:09 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hurry, 20% off at REI ends Sunday. Yes, they'll set it up, give you one modest tune-up within 6 months, and take it back on return for a year. I think the 105 and carbon fork will make a difference. You can pay for some other service out-of-pocket at the nearest LBS down the road as needed.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 04-10-14, 05:00 PM
lvaclarinet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes

Originally Posted by bikemig
Yes, of course REI will assemble the bike, I'm not worried about that. I am asking if getting a bike online from REI with better components for less than $200 more is better than getting a bike that I can test ride first, but has entry-level components, i.e. Shimano Claris.
Old 04-10-14, 05:03 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lvaclarinet
Yes, of course REI will assemble the bike, I'm not worried about that. I am asking if getting a bike online from REI with better components for less than $200 more is better than getting a bike that I can test ride first, but has entry-level components, i.e. Shimano Claris.
You get a year to test ride the Novara. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean. There is clearly an escape hatch if the Novara just isn't right for you.

Old 04-10-14, 05:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,698 Times in 2,174 Posts
Originally Posted by lvaclarinet
Buy it. This is an intelligently thought out and nicely spec'd bike. It uses long reach brakes; most road bikes use short. The difference is that you can fit a little fatter tire which makes a big difference in terms of comfort and how long a wheel lasts. Plus you have room for fenders and there are eyelets for a rack. Also the gearing is nicely wide ranging with a compact up front and 12-30 on the rear; that's a plus when climbing mnts. There is nothing you need to change out on this bike but is has nice parts and is very versatile.

That's a sweet bike. I'd ride it and I'm picky.
Old 04-10-14, 05:09 PM
lvaclarinet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know! That deal is too good to pass up, worst case scenario, I could just return it that same day. It just seems like a great deal compared to it being almost the same price as an entry-level, after the coupon, but with better components.

What's the difference between the Shimano Claris and the 105 other than 8 gears vs 10.
Old 04-10-14, 05:18 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's 2 gears faster isn't it?

The differences aren't night and day. But of the road groups Shimano makes, Claris is the bottom (1) and 105 is a 4 (out of 6). Shift cables run under the bartape for a cleaner look. Shifts and braking will be better, bike should be lighter, carbon fork should make the ride more comfy, etc. Go for it.

Old 04-11-14, 02:32 AM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I started with a mountain bike that I traded a broken Xbox for. To be honest, I rode that bike more that year than I've ridden since. (although I'm gonna break that easily this year).

My point is, buy what you can afford. If moneys a problem, then don't overspend. I think what's most important, is to just buy a bike and make sure you want to stick with it. If not, then $100 on a cheap used bike isn't anything. But if you can afford $500 on a new one (don't forget there's more you'll need, trust me, I've spent more on accessories and clothes and whateverthe****else than I've spent on 3 bikes now) then go for it. I'll buy it from you for $200 in the fall when it turns out it just sat in garage after a couple months.

Edit: and I don't mean to be a smartass, but I see so many people who go out and buy expensive new bikes when in reality there's plenty of good deals to be had instead. And for a first bike...then really make sure it's something you want before spending more. The used bike market is pretty good no matter where you live. It's easy to find (and sell) bikes if you are patient and use common sense.

Last edited by Bahnzo; 04-11-14 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 03:16 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 494 Times in 387 Posts
I'd say go with the Novarra. As everyone else has pointed out, they have a very liberal return policy. It will be a much better bike for little more than you were ready to spend.

While REI isn't a bike shop per se, they aren't a Walmart either. They will have at least one competent mechanic, and somewhat knowledgable sales help.

Also, maybe you could just ask that they bring in one for you to try. They are usually pretty accommodating.
Old 04-11-14, 04:23 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Novara Carema Pro Women's Bike - 2014 at REI.com for $879, shipped to the REI store is a lot of bike, so I would go for it, and REI should be as good as any for servicing. Make friends with the mech anytime you have it at the store and get lots of free advice about caring for it, adjustments, etc. You probably should go to REI and get the frame measurements compared to the bikes you have been fitted for already so the size is correct.

A used $200 bike, IMO would be fine if you can get maintenance for free or do it yourself, but you won't get nearly the component quality, and you could very likely start the upgrade path which would close the $600-$700 gap pretty quickly unless you are a knowledgeable and savy buyer.

Bahnzo has some really good points, and if I was recommending a bike to a friend, where I could do all the parts shopping and maintenance, a used vintage steel frame 10 speed would be a gas.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 04-11-14 at 04:30 AM.