Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best approach for maneuvering through crowds with a Dahon?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 12:05 PM
bhtooefr

Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2003 Sun EZ-Sport Limited, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8, 2018 Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last year, I went to the Dayton Hamvention, and brought my Boardwalk with me.

It turned out to be incredibly handy for going between my car and the venue (massively inflated bus fares between the free parking and the venue FTL), and worked quite well for the outside exhibits (which is basically a huge flea market, although last year, I got there the last day, and everything was already well picked over).

Unfortunately, the bike was much more of a pain in the indoor exhibits. This involves a lot of walking through dense crowds, and the bike took up quite a bit of space. And, the Dahons don't really roll when folded, so I couldn't even do that. And, it was far too heavy to carry by the frame for any significant distance, being a gaspipe steel bike (Dahon quotes 26 pounds, it's probably a bit more with the 2-speed IGH hub and the lights (I'll consider the dynamo wheel a wash, it's probably a lighter wheel even if the hub's heavier).)

So, I've got a few options here, and I'm wondering what my best one is.

Dahon landing gear: DAHON Bikes:*DAHON Accessories
Has anyone used this? How well does it actually work? Downside would be that the bike still takes floor space, upside would be that it takes much less than if it were unfolded, and I don't have to carry the weight.

As far as bags, I see plenty of options, although most of them seem to be messenger bag style, which isn't optimal, and then I have to deal with the bag. There is the Dahon stow-away cover, or the Tern CarryOn cover, but how good are those?

Ideal would be some sort of backpack sized properly for the bike, that I could lay the bike in, zip up, and then wear. Or, if I buy something big and my rack's already taken up, I could put it in the backpack, and ride to my car to unload it. But, I haven't found any suitable backpacks through quick googling.
Old 04-10-14, 12:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts

How about just Walk the bike, like any other bike?

but happy shopping ..
Old 04-10-14, 12:19 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rather like the "Landing Gear" concept...
Old 04-10-14, 12:25 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've played around with folding my D7 in a specific way so that I can wheel it around. Not sure if it is possible, but I found that it can be done. Assuming your Dahon can't, it's an interesting idea to come up with a backpack. I'd be tempted to say to find a frame backpack big enough that you can put it into. Or perhaps just strap the bike to the frame.
Old 04-10-14, 12:29 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The "landing gear" looks reasonable, but a bit... underwhelming?

If you're inside, could you not check the bike or even lock it to something secure? Occasionally, I'm visiting a place where even a folding bike is not permitted (e.g., museum), so I bring along a U-lock and cable, and lock up the bike in it's folded position. I'm banking on the fact that a locked up, folded bike is even more confounding and less desirable target than a regular bike.
Old 04-10-14, 07:20 PM
bhtooefr

Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2003 Sun EZ-Sport Limited, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8, 2018 Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd really like to avoid leaving the bike somewhere, especially given the traffic volume. Likely nowhere to check it, either.

The frame backpack idea might just work.

Walking the bike has the problem that the bike is rather unstable and has to be held up by the saddle. Seeing how the landing gear works, it actually might work really well... except it turns out that it only works with frames that have the landing gear mount in the BB shell. Which, of course, are only the very newest Dahons. Aaaaargh.
Old 04-10-14, 07:28 PM
badrad

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
In large crowded outdoor events, I usually just use my bike as a plow and just follow it through. I do flip the pedals in so they don't catch on people's shins and ankles, but walking the bike unfolded is the easiest I have found. Just push through.
Old 04-10-14, 08:46 PM
smallwheeler

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by badrad
In large crowded outdoor events, I usually just use my bike as a plow and just follow it through. I do flip the pedals in so they don't catch on people's shins and ankles, but walking the bike unfolded is the easiest I have found. Just push through.
don't be rude while cycling. karma is a *****...

Old 04-10-14, 11:09 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
don't be rude while cycling. karma is a *****...

That's hilarious... almost like it's a movie. Is it?
Old 04-13-14, 06:23 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
That's hilarious... almost like it's a movie. Is it?
I thought it might be a movie too but the guy pushed down looks really hurt.