Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Triathlete killed & another injured while cycling in New Orleans

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 08:29 AM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts

Stumbled across this a few mins ago:

Ironman bicyclist killed, another injured, in eastern New Orleans crash | NOLA.com

Info on the deceased:
He was a Firefighter from Atlanta.

https://www.ajc.com/news/news/breakin...e-wreck/nfYPr/

Last edited by WebFootFreak; 04-13-14 at 08:36 AM. Reason: More Information
Old 04-13-14, 04:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
That is one of the safest stretches of road near New Orleans I can think of. Straight as an arrow, good surface, wide shoulder (may have rumble strips in places) and very light traffic. The local roadie and tri-clubs, as well as many other cyclists use this as a training route on Sat and Sunday mornings at sunrise. However, this happened in the middle of the day, not when the sun is directly into eastbound traffic eyes. This highway is also the ONLY way to cycle out of New Orleans to the east for bicycle tourists. I have cycled it a thousand times myself without even one incident. I don't think I have ever heard of an incident here involving a cyclist other than fast pace-line riders getting tangled up with each other.

Motorist was looking at his phone I bet. Or maybe asleep at the wheel. No other excuse i can think of other than trying to pass a semi on the right with the view of the right lane blocked. No semi was mentioned tho.

Sucks.
Old 04-13-14, 05:29 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
That is one of the safest stretches of road near New Orleans I can think of. Straight as an arrow, good surface, wide shoulder (may have rumble strips in places) and very light traffic. The local roadie and tri-clubs, as well as many other cyclists use this as a training route on Sat and Sunday mornings at sunrise. However, this happened in the middle of the day, not when the sun is directly into eastbound traffic eyes. This highway is also the ONLY way to cycle out of New Orleans to the east for bicycle tourists. I have cycled it a thousand times myself without even one incident. I don't think I have ever heard of an incident here involving a cyclist other than fast pace-line riders getting tangled up with each other.

Motorist was looking at his phone I bet. Or maybe asleep at the wheel. No other excuse i can think of other than trying to pass a semi on the right with the view of the right lane blocked. No semi was mentioned tho.

Sucks.
Not just that. Also his brother-in-law saw it happen and probably had to tell his sister.
Old 04-14-14, 07:41 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's refreshing to read the comments on the story and not have to sift through "blah blah running stop signs blah blah".
Old 04-14-14, 08:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Again the biggest posibility of this death is the driver was probably playing with his cell phone. Yet when I suggest cell phones should shut off if moving faster then 10 mph, people come unglued. Is a text message or a cell phone call worth a persons life. Only a few years back before cell phones, the world still turned. IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR CELL PHONE IN THE CAR PULL THE HELL OVER AND THEN USE IT.
Old 04-14-14, 08:06 AM
cannondale125

Bikes: Cannondale six13/ Connondale CAAD 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again the biggest posibility of this death is the driver was probably playing with his cell phone. Yet when I suggest cell phones should shut off if moving faster then 10 mph, people come unglued. Is a text message or a cell phone call worth a persons life. Only a few years back before cell phones, the world still turned. IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR CELL PHONE IN THE CAR PULL THE HELL OVER AND THEN USE IT.
100% agree shut the damn things off when driving.
Old 04-14-14, 08:36 AM
WebFootFreak

Originally Posted by Chris516
Not just that. Also his brother-in-law saw it happen and probably had to tell his sister.
If I read it right, the brother-in-law was the one injured...

IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR CELL PHONE IN THE CAR PULL THE HELL OVER AND THEN USE IT.
Truth. The only thing I use my phone for while driving is music/Pandora. Plug-n-go!
Old 04-14-14, 08:43 AM
spivonious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I routinely have a passenger in my car take/make calls for me. And of course what about public transportation? Should all bus and train passengers not be allowed to use their phones? It is all about personal responsibility, not having the government come in and set restrictions.
Old 04-14-14, 08:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5936 Post(s)
Liked 3,628 Times in 2,151 Posts

Sucks.
Yep that is a safe route and I have never heard of an incident on it before. Who knows what happened but cellphone usage in a car by the driver should be made illegal and subject to serious penalties.
Old 04-14-14, 08:46 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by spivonious
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I routinely have a passenger in my car take/make calls for me. And of course what about public transportation? Should all bus and train passengers not be allowed to use their phones? It is all about personal responsibility, not having the government come in and set restrictions.
Sorry but that's a bogus argument. The government can and does set all sorts of restrictions when individuals engage in behavior that hurts (or has the potential of seriously hurting) third parties. You don't have an unfettered liberty interest to drive a car as you wish free of any and all government restrictions. It doesn't look like you even believe your own argument as you have third parties call on the cell when you drive.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-14-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-14-14, 08:58 AM
spivonious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Sorry but that's a bogus argument. The government can and does set all sorts of restrictions when individuals engage in behavior that hurts (or has the potential of seriously hurting) third parties. You don't have an unfettered liberty interest to drive a car as you wish free of any and all government restrictions. It doesn't look like you even believe your own argument as you have third parties call on the cell when you drive.
My argument is not that drivers should be able to use their phone while driving. I'm not sure where you got that from.

The government sets DUI laws. People still drink and drive. The government puts in speed limits. People still speed. What makes you think that people will leave a proposed cell phone speed lock in place? Hacks would show up instantly, making the law unenforceable.

The goal should be getting people to understand how idiotic it is to text and drive, not to place restrictions on everyone.
Old 04-14-14, 09:03 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's a tough one

the self driving car can't get here soon enough
Old 04-14-14, 09:50 AM
rcschafer

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Advocacy group Bike Easy reports that the driver has been arrested and charged with Negligent Homicide, Negligent Injury, Suspended License and Reckless Operation.

See also https://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...gent_homi.html

Last edited by rcschafer; 04-14-14 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added story link.
Old 04-14-14, 10:06 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,592 Times in 1,074 Posts
Motorist was looking at his phone I bet.
The response to this remark reminds me of the Duck that would drop down when the $50 special word was mentioned on the early 50's Groucho Marx TV show.

Any mention of the word "cell phone" in relation to an accident, even when stated that it is only speculation, brings out the A&S usual suspects quacking the same old, same old stuff.
Old 04-14-14, 11:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5993 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,626 Posts
You do understand that cars were hitting bicycles on open roads long before cell phones were invented, don't you?

Every time there's an accident reported on BF, "experts" who weren't there post speculation about how the driver must have been on his cell phone, even when there's zero evidence or even mention of a cell phone at all.

I guess it's nice to have some convenient non-human scapegoat to blame all the evils of the world on, but realistically accidents still happen for all of the same reasons they did before cell phones were in use.

I feel bad for all the parties and their families and friends, but I wish folks would hold back on the "accident analysis" until there's some evidence. Idle speculation, and blame assignment serves no purpose at all.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-14-14, 11:45 AM
WebFootFreak

Well that was quick...

Driver Charged
Old 04-14-14, 11:55 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The response to this remark reminds me of the Duck that would drop down when the $50 special word was mentioned on the early 50's Groucho Marx TV show.
I admit that I am just old enough to remember that duck. However, I believe I was watching Groucho re-runs.

Maybe there should be a sticky for cell phone discussion right below the helmet sticky. Sorry I mentioned it up top. My point was that the motorist could not have been looking through his windshield at the time of the incident. The weather was perfect, sun high in the sky, road straight as an arrow, 4-lanes of wide tarmac and unlimited visibility. Dude just wasn't looking at the road, or he did it on purpose.

I wonder what could be inside the cockpit of a car that would draw a motorist's eyes away from the windshield for an extended period of time? There is a pretty short list of things. Falling asleep is certainly one of them.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 04-14-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-14-14, 12:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,592 Times in 1,074 Posts
Maybe there should be a sticky for cell phone discussion right below the helmet sticky.
I second that recommendation, and further suggest that all cell phone ranting be moved to that sticky and let the wackos wail and carry on unmolested by reason or rational thought. Either that or send 'em all to Trollhem or P&R.
Old 04-14-14, 12:51 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
He-the driver-was driving on a suspended driver's license
and he has a "ship job" unclear if he is a captain/navigator/pilot ??
But the suspended license USUALLY means a SERIOUS OFFENSE-
and since he has a good job he would have had a good lawyer-but suspended anyway??
He did something BAD to get it suspended
Old 04-14-14, 12:53 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd be wearing a mirror on a road like that and bail onto the shoulder if I needed to. There's a thread on Slowtwitch which indicates that shoulder is often full of debris and that the riders were out in the (right) lane.
Old 04-14-14, 12:57 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Dunbar
I'd be wearing a mirror on a road like that and bail onto the shoulder if I needed to. There's a thread on Slowtwitch which indicates that shoulder is often full of debris and that the riders were out in the (right) lane.
I've ridden like forever without a mirror and simply relied on my hearing. I agree with you though and I've been meaning to add a mirror to my helmet. It can't hurt and it will probably help.
Old 04-14-14, 01:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5993 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,626 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
He-the driver-was driving on a suspended driver's license
He did something BAD to get it suspended
In and of itself, a suspended license means very little, in terms of what he did to get it suspended,. IN NYS you would likely get a suspension for a failure to appear on an expired inspection violation.

However, given the criminal charges, I suspect there's more involved than just the license suspension.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-14-14, 04:03 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
In Oregon I think you can lose your license if you don't pay your child support.
Old 04-14-14, 05:36 PM
rcschafer

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Driver says it wasn't his fault. Cyclists were traveling in right-hand lane of a 4-lane road: Motorist who kills cyclist, injures another before Ironman race says wreck not his fault | NOLA.com
Old 04-14-14, 06:33 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Vidrine has been cited for several traffic violations in Jefferson Parish, including three for speeding, two for failing to yield or stop, two for driving without a license and one each of driving with illegally tinted windows and driving with an expired license plate.
So this is the third time this guy was caught driving without a license. Good reason to start locking these people up after they get caught the first time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.