Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I have an interview on wednesday, how should i talk about commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I have an interview on wednesday, how should i talk about commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 11:50 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DITTO !!!

Don't worry about showers, if they don't have them... baby wipes work fine.

Scan for places to lock up to in the company garage.

Originally Posted by rykoala
I'd simply ask if having a car is required for the position. See what they say.
Old 10-11-05, 12:06 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbacon
No need to "push" your choice of transportation. If the question comes up about having reliable transport, the answer is yes. Then, it's up to you figure out how to get there with enough time left over to change so that you are ready to work. Hint: Don't be late; be early!
I agree. In a conservative field (banking, law, etc.) bikes are a no-no. You might get away with it in a more liberal field (programming, media, healthcare, etc.).

But mainly, the employer needs to know that you are reliable. We know that a bike is more reliable than a car, but they probably don't know that.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-11-05, 12:09 PM
dang133

Bikes: Trek 1500 & Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks to everyone for the responses. I'm really appreciative of all the input. My plan is to not mention it in the interview and drive to work the first week on the job. During that time i'll be looking for the most bike friendly routes. After that first week, i'll start commuting on my bike. Ohh, an to everyone in Atlanta who wanted to know the starting and ending locations: Starting Atlantic Station (just north of Georgia Tech) and ending off of moreland Ave (just south of I-20, not exactly the BEST part of town.... but reasonably safe during the day).
Old 10-11-05, 12:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
Good advice.

It's like asking about vacation at an interview -- not a good idea. You can always ask about this stuff after an offer is made, right?
This is pretty much the attitude I have had about jobs over the years. But these days there is often a question/answer period given at the end of good interviews... you could just ask about sports facilities and whether they exist...

At any rate I would not make a fuss about it... as it might indicate to them that you will make it a pain to them. But on the other hand, if you have a position now that accomodates you... you may not want to move to a company that doesn't have facilities. So it does behoove you to ask somewhere along the line.
Old 10-11-05, 12:32 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dang133
... and ending off of moreland Ave (just south of I-20, not exactly the BEST part of town.... but reasonably safe during the day).
Safe?? Crossing I-20?? One of my co-workers (bike commuter) lives south of I-20 and crosses it on Moreland to get to work near Piedmont Park.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-11-05, 12:38 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah why bother - i wouldn't bring it up. and now more employees are fine with people taking different trans. methods. carpool / bus / bike so it wouldn't be a big deal when hired
Old 10-11-05, 12:56 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did at a job here and it worked out well. Told them i lived close enough to ride my bike to work and in fact- i usually ride around the area for fun anyway. Talked down the spandex, talked up the grocery bike. Gave the impression that i was local, hard working, fit and available. Like they could call me anytime to come in because it only takes my 10 minutes to come in by bike, not the hour it takes most other employees with a long commute.

But typically i wouldn't mention it. Not really their buisness.
Old 10-11-05, 01:48 PM
kbabin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
I am having the same predicament. For me, it always comes up because they always ask if there's a problem for me getting to the job. I always bring up that I do not drive, though I could. I rely on my own two feet, and if need be, there's always public transportation.

Why it's even brought up is puzzling to me. What does how I get to work have to do with my job performance?

Koffee

I'm sure laws are different everywhere, but I know that my company does not ask how you get to work. It is only stated the you need to be here on time. To my knowledge it is seen a possible discrimination based question to ask how someone would get to work.
Old 10-11-05, 03:29 PM
skingry
Asshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks to everyone for the responses. I'm really appreciative of all the input. My plan is to not mention it in the interview and drive to work the first week on the job. During that time i'll be looking for the most bike friendly routes. After that first week, i'll start commuting on my bike. Ohh, an to everyone in Atlanta who wanted to know the starting and ending locations: Starting Atlantic Station (just north of Georgia Tech) and ending off of moreland Ave (just south of I-20, not exactly the BEST part of town.... but reasonably safe during the day).
If you are worried about showers and the like... do what I do, ride Marta on the way in (well most of the way, from Midtown to Inman Park) and bike the way back. I do that every morning as I don't like to arrive to work all sweaty, but don't really mind it on the ride back. (BTW my commute is from Grant Park to Five Points). I justify the expense of the monthly Marta pass by reminding myself that I only have to drive my car one day a week now (and if there were commuter rail to Kennesaw, I wouldn't have to drive at all).

--Seth
Old 10-11-05, 04:34 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by biodiesel
they could call me anytime to come in because it only takes my 10 minutes to come in by bike, not the hour it takes most other employees with a long commute.
If true for someone, it's a good point. I have a friend who's on emergency call at a hospital, he's the radiology equipment tech. He can be at the hospital, beside the scanner, wrench in hand in 6 minutes on his bike at 3AM from home. In a car it takes him 10 because on the bike he can pull right up to the door instead of parking and running through the lot.
Old 10-11-05, 10:33 PM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjkresse
You're an engineer. If they didn't think you could figure that out all by yourself, they shouldn't hire you.

course, then there are those of us who figured out how to do it on the dot every day and then decided it wasn't worth doing. but we don't have to tell them that.
Old 10-11-05, 10:53 PM
lonelyguy
Business Casual

Bikes: Some Pista crap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually just ask if there's a place to put my bike.
Old 10-11-05, 11:00 PM
dang133

Bikes: Trek 1500 & Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure I can find a place to put my bike. If need be i can just bring it inside.
Old 10-12-05, 08:19 AM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
then you can bring the big junk in. coffee maker, pictures, computer speakers, etc. after five years i have way to much personal junk cluttering up my office.