Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wonder what he was thinking......

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 12:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 888 Times in 540 Posts

I was heading back home into the 10mph wind this AM and feeling pretty sluggish. Lower gear and spinning because the legs are tired from last week's efforts. Coming to a traffic light intersection with a right turn lane I check my Third Eye Mirror and see a rider approaching. Light turns green so no slowing needed, continue through and see the rider closing. It doesn't take long and he passes on my left so I say hello with nothing returned. As he pulls in front I drop down a gear and try to close the gap. Finally make his wheel and feeling the draft advantage, not super close, we ride a bit.

After about 20 seconds I hear a click and then another and another. Speed is really picking up and he was dropping down the cog then the final CLICK, into the 11(?) since it looked like a compact, then he drops onto his aerobars that were mounted on his pretty Cervelo on which he rode in his Cervelo Kit. Held on for a little longer but MAN, was it a job. Finally had to give in, offered a thanks for the pull, and off he goes.

BTW, I was returning from the Whole Food Store where I purchased some Medjool dates, fresh ground peanut butter, Publix food store where I purchased a bottle of Organic Red wine, all in my backpack riding my 37 pound 7 speed hybrid with a basket on the front, alloy carrier on the rear, wearing pocketed shorts with SPD sandals on the feet.

Made this 63yo feel good. Also stopped at a produce vendor and picked up some fresh Florida tomatoes and sweet potatoes before I made it home.
Old 05-05-14, 02:36 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

Old 05-05-14, 02:49 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Little victories like this make me proud to be a Fred. Bet you ate better than roadie-boy when you got home!
Old 05-05-14, 05:35 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Thread of the day, I'll wager he tells this differently, though. He will say he dropped you like a rock and you were on a top of the line, high dollar bicycle, dressed in full team kit, etc.

Good job, and the groceries sound good, too!!

Bill
I also think he would tell the story differently. I suspect he would complain about the person who hopped on his wheel without asking and stayed there without permission. This is a big no no. It's a rare rider who isn't annoyed by people drafting without introduction.
Old 05-07-14, 09:30 AM
Greyride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just wondering why anyone would care if someone hugged their wheel? I certainly don't care as long as they don't run into me or cross wheel.
Old 05-07-14, 09:40 AM
raqball

Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I don't get the whole chase, catch and pass thing..

A few weeks ago on a climb I was chugging along at my normal 10mph up, up and up.. Observed someone pedaling hard behind me to catch up. He did, he passed, I kept my pace..

About a mile later I see him pushing his bike up the climb. I slow to ask if he is okay, figuring he may have had a flat or a medical issue. He says he is fine and I pedal along, still at my 10mph average..

Am I missing out on the thrill of the chase and catch? I am asking not be be rude but because it's never really interested me..
Old 05-07-14, 11:40 AM
xtrout1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This reminded me of a time i was riding along when all of a sudden I just felt like someone was on my wheel in back of me and sure enough someone was. at first it felt weird. I did not hear him I just felt him. after awhile whe rode along side and said to me. " Nice pace" we talked for awhile and then went our separate ways. never saw him again. in retrospect... what a nice compliment.
Old 05-07-14, 11:42 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyride
Just wondering why anyone would care if someone hugged their wheel? I certainly don't care as long as they don't run into me or cross wheel.
You never know a strangers riding pattern, skills or predictability.
Old 05-07-14, 11:46 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,234 Times in 1,741 Posts
Well, that's why. I don't know the skill level of someone who just got on my wheel. And when I'm in front I'm partially in charge of the safety of the guy behind me and I don't want that responsibility when he's somebody I haven't developed a trust in.
Old 05-07-14, 11:47 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,099 Times in 1,485 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball

A few weeks ago on a climb I was chugging along at my normal 10mph up, up and up.. Observed someone pedaling hard behind me to catch up. He did, he passed, I kept my pace..

About a mile later I see him pushing his bike up the climb. I slow to ask if he is okay, figuring he may have had a flat or a medical issue. He says he is fine and I pedal along, still at my 10mph average..

Am I missing out on the thrill of the chase and catch? I am asking not be be rude but because it's never really interested me..
When two roadies traveling in the same direction are within sight of each other it's Game On. No one has to play, but those who do get some jollies and fun training. Nothing like seeing quarry up the road or an overtaking bike to get the old man's HR up. Yes, you are missing out on some fun stuff. We do try to be polite about it. Never pass unless you really are the stronger rider. Always call it when you get a wheel. If you draft for a while and are comfy, pass and give the other bike a pull. The other bike may not want to play and may just drop off. Whatever. Be polite. You might make a friend and you might learn something. The non-verbal language of cycling fascinates me.
Old 05-07-14, 11:54 AM
yote223

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drafting without permission? It's called a PUBLIC road for a reason. So long as you don't wipe anybody out, what's the prob ? Jmo.

Last edited by yote223; 05-07-14 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 12:03 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by raqball

Yours is the most sublime of all Cat 6 victories, except when you do this on a bent. Then you achieve Bliss Itself.

Old 05-07-14, 12:24 PM
doctor j

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
When two roadies traveling in the same direction are within sight of each other it's Game On. No one has to play, but those who do get some jollies and fun training. Nothing like seeing quarry up the road or an overtaking bike to get the old man's HR up. Yes, you are missing out on some fun stuff. We do try to be polite about it.
Last Saturday and I'm on the inbound leg of 72 miles. Two come into view, and we're on asphalt that's been ground down, I hope for resurfacing. Rougher than bad chip seal. I pass them going up a small hill. One is definitely younger than me, and the other is, I believe, closer to my age and maybe slightly younger. Nice bike and kit, both of them. They catch up to me and pass. The young punk comes up out of the saddle and accelerates. Mind you, I'm beating feet. I've got to get home, shower, and get to a Kentucky Derby party within a certain time limit. I'm keeping a steady cadence. I pass them again. They start to catch up, and I keep the cadence and finally lose them. Game on, absolutely. Yes, I made it to the party on time.
Old 05-07-14, 12:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,485 Times in 1,913 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I also think he would tell the story differently. I suspect he would complain about the person who hopped on his wheel without asking and stayed there without permission. This is a big no no. It's a rare rider who isn't annoyed by people drafting without introduction.
+1,
I don't like unknown drafters on my wheel, any more than I like tailgating cars.

Courtesy dictates that you only draft with permission or with people you know well. Obviously racing is an exception, but city street riding isn't racing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-07-14, 12:28 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

When a soon to be 64yo, me, is riding a 7 speed, 37lb upright bars, basket on the front with carrier on the rear, 26 x 1 3/8 60psi tires with backpack on is tooling along into a 10mph headwind, it is almost a given that a pass will happen. Being the guy I am, I waited for the pass and felt that a little draft would help going into the headwind. I WAS NOT sucked to his wheel even though noticing he was on a Cervelo with aero bars, wearing the Cervelo Kit and having a smooth high cadence motion pretty much exuded experience.

The fact is that as he increased his cadence he then had to drop a cog and kept dropping until no more dropping could be done and then grabbing the aerobars was required because the speed was rising just tickled my fancy. If you never experienced this type of situation, let me just say that for me, it was way cool.

As far as someone sucking my wheel without introduction, I'm in front with my mirror on and it doesn't bother me. If you can stay on, great. If you pass me, I will draft you.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 05-07-14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 02:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

As far as someone sucking my wheel without introduction, I'm in front with my mirror on and it doesn't bother me. If you can stay on, great. If you pass me, I will draft you.
The objection to strangers on your wheel isn't that you object to freeloaders or anything like that. It's a basic and serious safety issue. With little separation, the front rider is hamstrung about his options when things arise. Any sudden braking can mean a collision, and even a shift to either side to avoid a pothole is dangerous because there may be wheel overlap, and he doesn't know if so, and to which side.

Basic etiquette in close formation riding is the front rider considers the risk to the rider behind before making any maneuver, and riders don't draft without announcing their presence.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-07-14, 02:56 PM
Greyride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So if I don't know you draft at your own peril.
Old 05-07-14, 03:02 PM
FBinNY 

So if I don't know you draft at your own peril.
And mine, which is why it's not considered good etiquette.

Old 05-07-14, 03:05 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1,
I don't like unknown drafters on my wheel, any more than I like tailgating cars.

Courtesy dictates that you only draft with permission or with people you know well. Obviously racing is an exception, but city street riding isn't racing.
+1 I, despite what others argue, believe that the danger of an accident increase a great deal when you're close enough to any moving vehicle to draft it. If one intends to do this with a willing group of others, that's a choice they've made. But imposing it or attempting to impose it on another is an entirely different thing.
Old 05-07-14, 03:37 PM
OldTryGuy

Even with introduction and even in Pro Pelotons, overlap and touching occurs resulting in crashes, so makes little difference.
Old 05-07-14, 03:49 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Even with introduction and even in Pro Pelotons, overlap and touching occurs resulting in crashes, so makes little difference.
I'm not sure I understand your point.
Old 05-07-14, 04:01 PM
Dudelsack 

Another vote for no drafting unless among consenting adults.

Old 05-07-14, 04:26 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by yote223
Drafting without permission? It's called a PUBLIC road for a reason. So long as you don't wipe anybody out, what's the prob ? Jmo.
IMO: It can be creepy with someone you don't know on your wheel.
Old 05-07-14, 04:33 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by yote223
So by your logic, there'd be no driving violation for tailgating. Here in NY it's called "following too closely" and draws a fine and points on your license.

Yes, accidents happen even with folks you know, and among seasoned professionals. That's the best argument for no drafting among strangers and amateurs.

Drafting creates dangers for both parties, and is frowned upon outside of competition, or by agreement of the parties.

We don't drive on city streets under LaMans rules, likewise with bikes.

BTW- the fellow on the Cervello was pretty courteous, simply pulling away from you. I know folks who would have taught you a nasty lesson with some surprise brake action.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-07-14 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 04:52 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by FBinNY
So by your logic, there'd be no driving violation for tailgating. Here in NY it's called "following too closely" and draws a fine and points on your license.

Yes, accidents happen even with folks you know, and among seasoned professionals. That's the best argument for no drafting among strangers and amateurs.

Drafting creates dangers for both parties, and is frowned upon outside of competition, or by agreement of the parties.

We don't drive on city streets under LaMans rules, likewise with bikes.

BTW- the fellow on the Cervello was pretty courteous, simply pulling away from you. I know folks who would have taught you a nasty lesson with some surprise brake action.
Pretty sure had I been on my Propel, chances are he would not have pulled away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.