Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding buddy may buy a CF Trek Madone... safe distance to keep?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding buddy may buy a CF Trek Madone... safe distance to keep?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 09:44 PM
Kamau

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Tom
I despise intolerant people.
^Winning
Old 05-06-14, 10:02 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Tom
So the bike he's looking at is a 2012 Madone 5.2.

What thinketh y'all?
Oh good. I was afraid he was going to buy a new one from that horrid local Trek dealer. No one should ever purchase anything from those shops.
Old 05-06-14, 11:30 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Man, I wish there was a way to test bikes blindfolded to prove most folks can't tell the difference between two similar bikes of different brands. That would put an end to all this nonsense. But then what would we do for online fun?

So Spesh is too arrogant and litigious, Trek asplodes, Giant is embarrassed to put their own name on most of what they make... What is there left to ride? Willier? Maybe, but first you have to ask how to pronounce it. I don't know; it is getting harder and harder to find a bike to buy.

all this brand fuss is good fun, but the truth is that the bikes are mostly all great and that shouting brand loyalties means you have drunk the corporate koolaid. Do you guys also wear t shirts and clothes emblazoned with corporate logos? The money kings of the world are laughing their a$$es off when they see that people pay to be walking billboards. Singing the praises of your favorite bike brand on BF isn't much different.
Old 05-07-14, 12:44 AM
Long Tom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't mean to bash Trek.

I just need to know a safe distance to keep from the damn thing, in case my buddy "dials it up".

Other than the occasional asplosion, I'm sure they are fine bikes.
Old 05-07-14, 01:01 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 375 Posts
Personally I'd be more worried about needle stick injuries than crabon asplosions.
Old 05-07-14, 05:22 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, i couldn't think of a knock on every brand, but I knew there was one.
Seven owners are dentists.
Old 05-07-14, 05:26 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
all this brand fuss is good fun, but the truth is that the bikes are mostly all great and that shouting brand loyalties means you have drunk the corporate koolaid. Do you guys also wear t shirts and clothes emblazoned with corporate logos? The money kings of the world are laughing their a$$es off when they see that people pay to be walking billboards. Singing the praises of your favorite bike brand on BF isn't much different.
The vast majority of high end bike owners can't tell one from another. They don't know BBright from BB30.
Brands ARE different and have signature design differences....from geometry to ride quality to integrated seatposts to particular groupsets or wheel qualities...its a long list. The vast majority can't tell a difference nor are they adept at working on their own bikes. S-haters for example have never worked for a Fortune 500 company or know anything about 'large' corporate America or if they have never worked high enough to understand how law suits are part of the fabric of survival...both suing and getting sued.

What is particularly laughable about all the hating is how badly it is misplaced. If there is or should be hate it is for all the safety critical products that are shipped throughout the world that are prone to fail because companies don't perform their due diligence about quality control and/or ship designs they know are defective aka out of design tolerance. This is common and the public is largely ignorant about it until it strikes a member of their family. Lesser companies will do anything to avert a recall (GM) because it detracts from the bottom line and of course this fits with poorly managed companies that make more mistakes aka ship more product that is defective...many times knowingly defective. This is the place for outrage. Not some lawsuit directed toward a small company trying to steal the marketing advantage of a large company to sell more product.

Last edited by Campag4life; 05-07-14 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 05:26 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're all using the wrong units. The correct unit of measure is Lance Armstrongs. Personally I would keep 7LAs away.
Old 05-07-14, 05:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Yeah I'd be embarrassed to be producing the world's most popular bikes, they are definitely not putting their names on those bikes... WTF? And clearly embarrassed by sponsoring Pro teams so everyone knows they are riding Giants. Yeah some serious embarrassment. And then producing what many think is the best aero bike ever, Propel? Yeah more embarrassment. Should be ashamed. And lastly their TCR Advanced SL, what a terrible bike, super light, industry leading torsion and stiffness, so much embarrassment. They ought to kick themselves in the face.
If their bikes are so great, how come they get so many seconds that they have to unload under other brand names? Everybody knows that is what is going on. (In case you weren't sure that I am joking.)

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-07-14, 05:53 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Yeah I'd be embarrassed to be producing the world's most popular bikes, they are definitely not putting their names on those bikes... WTF? And clearly embarrassed by sponsoring Pro teams so everyone knows they are riding Giants. Yeah some serious embarrassment. And then producing what many think is the best aero bike ever, Propel? Yeah more embarrassment. Should be ashamed. And lastly their TCR Advanced SL, what a terrible bike, super light, industry leading torsion and stiffness, so much embarrassment. They ought to kick themselves in the face.
Giant is hosed largely because of its name. Giant? Most in the bike biz if taking a poll would prefer Midget
for the simple reason that many want to be associated with racers who like to size down.
Seriously...it starts with the name. Giant is an awful name for a bike. It sounds like a bike branded for a chain discounter like Walmart. Their bikes are very good however in my experience.

Last edited by Campag4life; 05-07-14 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 05:57 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
You're all using the wrong units. The correct unit of measure is Lance Armstrongs. Personally I would keep 7LAs away.
I used work in the BMW aftermarket and was around a lot of BMW owners and even though there were exceptions, BMW owners are largely as ignorant as high end bike owners about their products. Since most BMW owners wouldn't go near a wrench of course they had to perpetually take their BMW's to the dealer for repair and maintenance out of warranty. The joke was what these owners paid for their repairs. They were called 'spending units'. 1 spending unit = $1000. So Charlie, how many spending units did you spend this time?
Old 05-07-14, 09:15 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
What about that house brand that is named excrement, but I don't recall any complaints about the bike? Perhaps lowered expectations.
Old 05-07-14, 09:25 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Seven owners are dentists.
I have a cousin who is a real estate mogul (really). In his palatial NY apartment last year, I noticed two beautiful Seven Eliums - his and hers. I didn't know that they ride. Well, they don't. They thought if they bought bikes, that maybe they would. But then they didn't.

It made me want to cry.
Old 05-07-14, 10:38 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
I prefer using boonens (Bns) for measurement, as it not only is metric but also more euro.
Old 05-07-14, 10:45 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
I'll grab the low hanging fruit.

Not to worry, Tom. With the upgrade to a Trek, your buddy will be so much faster that the only time you'll ever see him is when the bike is stopped and he is waiting for you. Very liitle risk of asplosion with a stopped bike.
best answer here
Old 05-07-14, 11:12 AM
Long Tom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough crowd. There may be some truth to that. Our dynamic has flipped, him & me, from him being a far stronger rider at the start of last season, to me overtaking him rather convincingly. This is largely due to me getting obsessed with climbing and being blessed by "several" big ones nearby. He, on the other hand, says I'm a masochist (and also a sadist, when I make him ride these routes) and prefers easier rides in the flats.

In his defense, I was overcoming a head injury, and needed something tangible to take out my angst on as well as finding great utility in suffering as it anchored me back into my body. He is in the midst of a difficult entrepreneurial startup and rides to relax.

But getting back to the hills... his bike, a Bridgestone RB2, (!) has terrible gearing for climbing. He's forced to mash hard on hills I am somewhat able to spin up. This Trek will have a compact double and should be much more of a climbing machine. I may indeed find myself playing catchup again, as he is physically a strong climber. Just needs a bike that isn't an impediment to releasing his inner goat.

One of his businesses had a major electrical failure yesterday and couldn't ride it.... He's riding it today. If he likes it, he's buying it. He says.
Old 05-07-14, 03:18 PM
soma5
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the bike fits, he will like it. It is amazing how much better the newer bikes handle.
Old 05-07-14, 04:06 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Man, I wish there was a way to test bikes blindfolded to prove most folks can't tell the difference between two similar bikes of different brands. That would put an end to all this nonsense. But then what would we do for online fun?

So Spesh is too arrogant and litigious, Trek asplodes, Giant is embarrassed to put their own name on most of what they make... What is there left to ride? Willier? Maybe, but first you have to ask how to pronounce it. I don't know; it is getting harder and harder to find a bike to buy.
I seem to be able to keep finding a suitable brand.
Old 05-07-14, 07:03 PM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Scott? Execellent engineering!
Old 05-07-14, 07:07 PM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that with or without the needle sticking out of his arm? That needle does add atleast 6 inches or more.
Old 05-07-14, 07:22 PM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
What is particularly laughable about all the hating is how badly it is misplaced. If there is or should be hate it is for all the safety critical products that are shipped throughout the world that are prone to fail because companies don't perform their due diligence about quality control and/or ship designs they know are defective aka out of design tolerance. This is common and the public is largely ignorant about it until it strikes a member of their family. Lesser companies will do anything to avert a recall (GM) because it detracts from the bottom line and of course this fits with poorly managed companies that make more mistakes aka ship more product that is defective...many times knowingly defective. This is the place for outrage. Not some lawsuit directed toward a small company trying to steal the marketing advantage of a large company to sell more product.
I work at a car manufacturer and the joke to what you're talking about is the 5/50 rule. If there are 5 defects, you fix it. 50? You ship it... lol
Old 05-07-14, 11:11 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 813 Posts
Two proximity-related dangers here: physical danger of the carbon fiber and social stigma of being associated with a Trek.

For either, if you're close enough to draft or be drafted, you're too close.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-07-14 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-08-14, 10:30 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Two proximity-related dangers here: physical danger of the carbon fiber and social stigma of being associated with a Trek.

For either, if you're close enough to draft or be drafted, you're too close.
No social stigma here, and I bet I can drop your ass anytime
Old 05-08-14, 10:55 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 813 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
No social stigma here, and I bet I can drop your ass anytime
How nice for you.

I'm surprised you're not familiar with the snarky Trek jokes that abound on this and other forums - similar to the ridiculous as the snarky carbon fiber jokes. I was so clever I combined them into one quip.

Sorry I forgot the smiley on an obvious facetious joke and sorry if I offended ... I take that back, I'm not sorry for making a joke in a thread that was all about poking fun.. But maybe your reaction is why it's so fun! Have a good day

Last edited by Camilo; 05-08-14 at 11:01 AM.