Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

{BK and import duty charges.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 01:38 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Did a search here and couldn't find any answer to my question. I have been ordering parts from PBK for years now, including wheels. Have not once ever got any duty charges. I have even seen the list of tariffs that should be applied to import cycling items posted here several times in the last few years and never saw anything I bought (excluding wheels) as items that could be charged duty. However, I placed an order for some tubular tires and clear replacements only to get an email several days later saying the following below:

aircitypost

05.09.2014 MR A……………………..D
MR A…………………………………….D
8XXXXXXXXXXXXX LN
VXXXXXXXXXXX
FLORIDA, 32XXX

Dear MR A………………………….D,

You have recently placed an overseas order for the following that is subject to the United States Customs process:

Product: CONTINENTAL COMPETITION 22 TUBULAR ROAD TYRE BLACK, TIME I-CLIC / EXPRESSO REPLACEMENT PEDAL CLEATS -
Shipper: THE HUT GROUP
Declared Value: $351.37
Your tracking number: 9XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX6893

You are required to pay the following United States Customs Duty and related fees in order to clear customs and have your parcel shipped to you:

Customs Duty: $1.57
Advancement Fee: $6.50
Handling Fee: $15.00
TOTAL: $23.07

Please click here to complete the payment process.

The United States Postal Service (USPS) will ship your parcel to you. It will be delivered to you in 3-5 days once US Customs releases the parcel. You can track your parcel by clicking here.
We will hold your parcel 17 days. If payment for the above fees is not paid by then, your parcel will be returned to the Shipper. Please contact me at the email address below with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Joseph Jordan
aircitypost
153-63 Rockaway Blvd
Jamaica, NY 11434
jjordan@aircitypost.com

Is this for real? I sent PBK and email inquiring, but haven't heard from them yet. Has anyone else received something similar? Have the taxable item list changed??
Old 05-09-14, 02:39 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
It's probably legit. However, I'd tell them shipping is prepaid and they should contact the shipper for any processing fees and you'll only pay the $1.67 import duty. If they argue, have them return the package, call your CC for a chargeback if PBK refuses to refund, and go buy it online in the U.S.
Old 05-09-14, 02:47 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been charged but I've mostly order stuff in the $100-$200 range so maybe there is a threshold over which they charge import duties. The extra fees do seem like BS. Not sure how you go about telling the PO to stuff it in any effective way.
Old 05-09-14, 03:17 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 737 Times in 375 Posts
No idea but if jj finds out you posted his email up here for the spambots to see expect a headache or two.
Old 05-09-14, 03:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,878 Times in 2,972 Posts
I've never experience this and I've ordered from PBK and Ribble numerous times. Seems like this company has somehow hijacked your order. If PBK can't explain this and give you a work-around, I would just cancel and try again with another seller.
Old 05-09-14, 03:55 PM
Judge Mental
Banned.

Bikes: Bianchi RC, Redline Conquest, Cinelli Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's totally legit. The system seems be randomly-based, though.

Like you, I've placed dozens of international orders. Technically, ALL of these purchases were subject to customs duties and specific import fees and taxes. You can get around this with eBay sellers by asking them to declare much lower values. Like my Garmin 510 from Israel was declared as a $35 heart rate monitor. With PBK that won't work.

This is just a guess, but I'd say around 10% of my purchases end up needing additional customs and import fees.

Unfortunately, although the print is fine it is crystal clear, and most firms that ship to the U.S. reference the potential for additional charges. I can't speak to PBK, but Wiggle charges a substantial restocking fee on orders that are refused on account of refusal to pay duties. I learned that the hard way when purchasing a Tifosi frame. The restocking fee ($155) was actually more than the import duties ($140) in my case. You only need one experience to learn that lesson.

The $3500 De Rosa ordered from Wiggle was never assessed any duties. Who knows why. But if you get the bill, you gotta pay the piper.
Old 05-09-14, 04:11 PM
thill454

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ordered from 3 shops in the UK. In over 20 orders I've been hit for the import tax and fees only once. Had to pay $5 customs fee, $5 post office fee and the import duty. It seems to be pretty random and the one I got dinged on was not an unusualy large order.
Old 05-09-14, 05:05 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So what is aircity post's place in all of this? Is PBK shipping to them and having them forward to the customer?
Old 05-09-14, 05:09 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
So what is aircity post's place in all of this? Is PBK shipping to them and having them forward to the customer?
Yes. I'm sure PBK is doing this now to avoid packages getting lost in the USPS mail system or stuck in customs that never arrive to their customer(s).
Old 05-09-14, 07:01 PM
Trucker Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like I'll only be ordering from ribble in the future.
Old 05-09-14, 07:34 PM
Judge Mental
Banned.

Bikes: Bianchi RC, Redline Conquest, Cinelli Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same story with Ribble, Chain Reaction, all of them. Bought several Campy cassettes and chains on Ribble when they were super cheap in August and ended up paying the difference in duties and handling. Whatever "handling" means...

Not sure how or why certain packages get dutied. Regardless if it's direct or third-party, a certain percentage of international orders end up getting the "you've got mail and fees" e-mail.
Old 05-09-14, 07:45 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
99% of my Campagnolo related purchases within the last two years have been from Ribble... from mechanical and EPS components, wheelsets, and my last purchase this past Dec. which consisted of (2) OT cranksets and misc parts. All my purchases were shipped via EMS, 3-4 days to NYC without any additional fees, duties, taxes, etc.

From what the OP posted, it seems to be a different issue if the package is shipped standard post/parcel since there isn't a tracking # available unless its shipped EMS.