Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

road bike suitcases?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

road bike suitcases?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-14, 10:32 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
road bike suitcases?

I want to visit a friend of mine in Seattle for july 4th. I'd like to bring my racing bike and do a couple of races that weekend, because why the heck not? so if I fly there, it'll be cheaper to pack it in a suitcase and pay for a carry on right? anyone have recommendations on a good case?
Old 05-31-14, 11:10 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Airline charges vary considerably so you should check with the specific carriers you have in mind (note that one might be cheaper for the basic ticket but end up more expensive when you add the baggage charges). If you have a regular (non-separating or folding) bike, then it won't fit in the normal size suitcase for checked baggage and would be subject to the rules on oversize luggage.

For a short trip you might also consider either renting a road bike or checking if your friend might have a spare that would fit you.
Old 06-01-14, 04:11 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
+1

Read the rules on oversize luggage. Even my frame (40 cm seat tube) won't stay under the minimum dimensions of Southwest's definition of "oversize luggage", due to the length of the frame (not including the fork even!).

I once "saved" about $100 on the airline ticket but paid $150 each way, $100 more than SW at the time, for my bike. At least they bumped me to first class for taking a flight something like 30 minutes earlier on the way back. With SW it's $75 each way now and with two free checked pieces of luggage I check my bike gear bag (heavy, maybe 35-40 lbs, with tools that make it illegal to carry on) and my normal bag (25 lbs?). I carry on as little as possible, usually electronics. Last time I flew it was with a baby and the wife so we had a lot of bags, maxed out the free checked bag count (and the baby even gets an extra free checked piece for stroller, baby seat, etc).

For cases I use a soft case. I've been using the same case since sometime in the mid 90s when my taped up cardboard bike box finally wore through/failed. I've flown carbon, aluminum, and a carbon/alum frame, and I've flown with carbon, aluminum, and carbon/aluminum wheels. For the last 5 or 6 trips I've flown with a pair of aluminum and a pair of faired carbon wheels (Ardennes and Jets) in the one bag. Unless you're traveling a lot a fancy case doesn't make a lot of sense. I got mine from an ex-pro who had something like 4 or 5 and he had to get rid of the worst ones to make room.

For cardboard boxes you should be able to beg one off of a bike shop. If you want them to give you one of the nicer ones then offer to pay for it (cash, pizza, beer, whatever) so that they take a bit more care in opening the box and don't rip everything. Nicer boxes have thicker cardboard, more room, although honestly I haven't really paid attention to the state of bike boxes nowadays (in the old days I preferred Cannondale bike boxes, but that was back when their boxes were huge, not sure what they are now). Once you have it then what I did was I reinforced the handles with packing or duct tape (so they don't get ripped open) as well as the bottom by covering it with heavy duty packing tape. The latter allows you to slide the box along the floors in the airport and even for a limited time on pavement. My bike box lasted maybe 8? trips? I even lent it out. On one of the trips I packed it until it weighed 102 lbs (full roof rack with two bike mounts, two boxes power bars, extra spokes, extra rims, extra frame, etc.. for a 3 week trip racing in Belgium). It made it through fine.

I actually considered buying an older full suspension mountain bike (for a few hundred $) because I would know how to disassemble the frame and that would bring the bike down into folding bike territory. However the compromises in fit etc would negate some of the usefulness of bringing the bike along, although for general riding it wouldn't be bad. I've also considered a custom break-apart full size bike but I don't travel enough to warrant a new, much more expensive frame. I thought of the S&S couplings, which are so nice that one of the races I know uses his (Merlin Extralight, custom geometry) S&S bike as his primary bike, he has a matching custom non-S&S Merlin non-Extralight Ti frame. The end up about the same weight but the Extralight is actually stiffer due to the shorter effective tube lengths. I'd consider a custom geometry Ritchey breakaway frame.

Hope this helps.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-01-14, 06:57 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I want to visit a friend of mine in Seattle for july 4th. I'd like to bring my racing bike and do a couple of races that weekend, because why the heck not? so if I fly there, it'll be cheaper to pack it in a suitcase and pay for a carry on right? anyone have recommendations on a good case?
If you can spare the "racing" bike for a few days on each end of the trip, the cheapest plan is to send it separately from you by UPS or FedEx in an OEM cardboard carton given to you by a bike shop. It won't be cheap, per se, but less than accompanying you on a plane. The good suitcases are $300-600 which just doesn't make sense from a one-time perspective. I also like the rental idea.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-01-14, 07:46 AM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the best softcase bar none is the Biknd helium, I've done over 20 flights with no damage at all the bike and wheels.
the shape allows it to fit into the back seat of most cars, as it's a bit shorter in height than other bags.

The distinguishing feature is the airbags and the ability to carry 2 sets of wheels, some people take out the airbags and stuff clothes into the empty compartments. The bag weight is 8kg, without bike, so thats give plenty of allowance for other things like tools, shoes and helmet.

biknd - HELIUM - bike travel case

Last edited by kleng; 06-01-14 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-01-14, 08:18 AM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be cheaper (and a lot more convenient), to ship it to your friend's address a few days (3-5) before your trip.
https://www.shipbikes.com/home2.html

I have traveled with a hard case that protected the bike well, but was a PITA to carry, and with the current fees, can be quite expensive.
Old 06-01-14, 11:29 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Southwest, Virgin, and Jetblue all charge $50 for a bike each way (check their websites to verify). We use Aerus soft cases for out CF road bikes, total weight with gear is under 35 lb and it's way easier to maneuver and carry on shuttles, through the airport, on taxis, etc than hard cases.
Old 06-01-14, 11:48 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
how much is it to rent a bike from a bike shop? It'd be nice to get a cf bike with 105 or ultegra... I think these races are crits, so I'm not too worried about fit. I could go for an aluminum bike too, with a pair of ksyrium elites or something
Old 06-02-14, 04:08 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Currently most airlines limit "non-oversize" baggage to a total of 62 linear inches. Most bike cases exceed that by a wide margin, hence the oversize baggage fees. If you want to bypass this fee, try the Hen House soft case by Ruster Sports that splits the bike between frame and wheels and simply become part of normal baggage: Hen House - Bicycle Travel Case
Old 06-02-14, 04:11 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
how much is it to rent a bike from a bike shop? It'd be nice to get a cf bike with 105 or ultegra... I think these races are crits, so I'm not too worried about fit. I could go for an aluminum bike too, with a pair of ksyrium elites or something
If you're particular with your bike set up, I don't recommending renting unless it's for casual rides. The first (and last time) I rented was in Kona. After riding the Ironman route (just the route, not the race), my butt was so sore that I didn't ride again for the rest of the week. Just something to think about.
Old 06-02-14, 04:34 AM
t595

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I took my bike from Charlotte to Denver last year on US Air. I have some sort of elite frequent flier status so i figured that I would get the bike on for a low rate. So went on Craigslist and bought a used Thule hard case for $150 (great case and highly recommend it). Went to the airport and they charged $200 for the oversized luggage. Then $200 to get back. Oh and the case is BIG and won't fit in just any rental car (which wasn't that big of deal this time since we needed to get a mid size SUV). I got back and sold the case for $175 - coming out $25 ahead on that transaction. As noted above it is probably a lot cheaper and easier to ship it UPS or fedex in a box from a bike store.
Old 06-02-14, 07:55 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
so buy a bike suitcase and ship it via carrier that way, or just use a cardboard box? I guess the cardboard box is cheaper, but I'm just wondering how many times you can reuse it.
Old 06-02-14, 08:05 AM
Looigi

Originally Posted by mpath
Currently most airlines limit "non-oversize" baggage to a total of 62 linear inches. Most bike cases exceed that by a wide margin, hence the oversize baggage fees....
There are different fees depending on what the item is. Most airlines have bike specific fees which are usually less and sometimes much less than general oversize and overweight fees. Skis or sets of golf clubs are oversize and often go as standard baggage despite being oversize.

If you rent a bike for any significant riding, figure out the fit of your current bike (height and setback of the saddle with respect to the bottom bracket and distance and height of the bars with respect to the saddle), bring your saddle and pedals, have them installed and the rental bike appropriately set up.
Old 06-02-14, 10:23 AM
arcticbiker
1coolrider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As others have said beware of individual airline shipping costs regarding "bikes", over weight, over size. I have been using a Bike Pro Double case for over 2 decades with great success. No bike damage ever. However, for the first time I was doubled charged for first a bike, then for over weight. I usually fly Alaska Airlines which has over the years charged up to $150 (for two bikes) but as little as $75 (for two bikes). I just returned on a flight with Delta which charged $300!

The case I use is located here: https://shop.bikeprousa.com/images/12...235469155.jpeg
Old 06-02-14, 01:06 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Not sure how many shops will rent their bikes to someone wanting to race a crit.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 06-02-14, 04:50 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
Not sure how many shops will rent their bikes to someone wanting to race a crit.
We rent road bikes and ZIPP wheel sets at our shop and I've never asked "Doing a crit on it this weekend?" I know for a fact people have used rentals for local races because often times they'll come back to the shop and tell us how they did (on the bike).

Now... whether you want to race a crit on a Domane 4.3 with all the standard equipment, well that's up to you!
Old 06-02-14, 05:41 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

so buy a bike suitcase and ship it via carrier that way, or just use a cardboard box? I guess the cardboard box is cheaper, but I'm just wondering how many times you can reuse it.
At least two. But who cares , it is usually free.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 06-02-14, 05:59 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
It might be cheaper (and a lot more convenient), to ship it to your friend's address a few days (3-5) before your trip.
https://www.shipbikes.com/home2.html
Thanks for this! I have been wrestling with a similar situation -- traveling to visit family for three or four weeks -- and we will be flying there and driving back. I was wondering how I would do any cycling there without my bike. Now it look like I'll just borrow a hard case and ship it! Then I can drive it back and bike myself all over the place on the way home.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-14, 06:23 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Thanks for this! I have been wrestling with a similar situation -- traveling to visit family for three or four weeks -- and we will be flying there and driving back. I was wondering how I would do any cycling there without my bike. Now it look like I'll just borrow a hard case and ship it! Then I can drive it back and bike myself all over the place on the way home.

Thanks!
Just keep in mind the size of full size bike cases. You may have trouble getting one into or on top of your car.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 06-02-14, 08:31 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
well, the car is going to be and SUV of indeterminate model and I have yet to lay eyes on this available case.. so.. yeah. baby steps.
Old 06-03-14, 07:07 AM
Looigi

We used hard cases for quite awhile before getting the Aerus cases. We still have them but don't use them as they're big, heavy and a PITA to deal with compared to the Aerus cases. Also, about half the time I don't get charged the bike fee. What happens is the agent sees ~32 lb, prints out the tag, and goes to put it on before seeing the size. They ask, I say it's a bike, and they just but the tag on it rather than bother going back to re-input it, charge me and print out another tag. Also, about half the time it comes out on the conveyer rather than the oversize counter. I wouldn't count on freebees or it coming out with regular baggage but it does happen to me with some regularity.

On the flip side, I've also had to argue with ticket agents who wanted to charge full oversize fees instead of the lesser bike fee. I'd say no, it's $50 for a bike, and she says the fees change frequently. I say I checked the website 2 hrs ago, can I speak to a supervisor. She clicks away at the computer for awhile and says, OK, you're right...
Old 06-03-14, 07:42 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Southwest has charged $75 each way for checked bicycles since February 13, 2013. Prior to that date, the fee was $50 each way.

Originally Posted by SWA checked baggage policy excerpt
Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, the items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge. For tickets for travel before February 13, 2013, or for tickets purchased prior to December 15, 2012, the items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $50 each way charge.

Bicycles

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or softsided cases will be transported as conditionally accepted items.
I often fly SWA with my bike checked as baggage using a Thule hard case, and have yet to experience any problems with either Southwest or TSA. I'm not suggesting there can't be problems, but I've never personally experienced any. For me, $75 each way is a small price to pay to carry my bike with me.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 06-03-14, 08:40 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't forget to look on craigslist for used bike cases - that's how i got mine.
bikeflights.com is another shipping service - worked great for me.
Old 06-03-14, 08:51 AM
06SpiceRed