Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

700x25c too thin for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

700x25c too thin for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 09:56 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Haven't done the part of the coast route north of Florence, OR, but I have ridden the part from there south with camping gear and 23mm tires and didn't encounter any problems related to the tires. [Why do so many append a 'c' when giving the width of the tire just because the diameter is for a 700c (622mm) rim? Does anyone riding on 650b wheels give their width as 25b?]
Old 07-23-14, 04:07 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Why do so many append a 'c' when giving the width of the tire just because the diameter is for a 700c (622mm) rim?
Maybe because they don't know centimeters from millimeters?
Old 07-23-14, 08:43 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
I haven't checked that out yet but this is even more peculiar. Here, this Michelin Cross Max is shown as 42-622 (700x40C). Bike24 - Michelin Protek Cross Max 28 inch Wired Tire So is it 40 or 42mm? I'm inclined to think it's 42mm but I don't know how the 40C is derived from.

[They also list 37-622 (700x35C).]
Old 07-23-14, 08:54 AM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few decades back, I did a tour on 27" wheels (Wober Super Champion Blue Labels) that typcially had 1" tires. I did have a snakebite in a bad place. Next day I bought some Michelins with steel belts, but same size (which I think is equivalent to 25mm) and had no further issues for thousands of kms. I did travel light, handlebar bag, two rear panniers, and rack back with sleeping bag in it. 40 lbs of gear might be pushing it, especially if it is mostly in the rear.
Old 07-26-14, 09:51 PM
crotch_rocket

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Classic, 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin, Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plexus
I'm biking down the pacific coast (Vancouver -> San Diego) and currently use 25c tires. I prefer to keep them on as I already have two spares for them and I'm already 30% under budget for the trip. I don't plan to go off road, but I guess it would be nice to be able to ride on some forest roads occasionally. I weight around 130 lbs and am carrying ~40 lbs of gear including water. Should I switch the tires or is it safe to keep using the 25s?
Short Answer - Not safe. I'd co with larger tires (wider/thicker) due to weight, load, and remember, when you're bumping up and down, it adds a LOT of extra force.

Long Answer - Depends on the kind of touring you're doing. If you do the kind I do, here's an article I wrote up about it.

Expedition Cycling: A How-to Primer

But I do a lot of off road touring in difficult places with lots of gear. So, it all depends on what you decide to load up with, and what kind of terrain you're traversing, or planning on tackling. If you plan to do a lot of offroading, go wider/thicker. If not, well, you should know your equipment best.

Last edited by crotch_rocket; 07-26-14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 06:16 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by crotch_rocket
Short Answer - Not safe. I'd co with larger tires (wider/thicker) due to weight, load, and remember, when you're bumping up and down, it adds a LOT of extra force.

Long Answer - Depends on the kind of touring you're doing. If you do the kind I do, here's an article I wrote up about it.

Expedition Cycling: A How-to Primer

But I do a lot of off road touring in difficult places with lots of gear. So, it all depends on what you decide to load up with, and what kind of terrain you're traversing, or planning on tackling. If you plan to do a lot of offroading, go wider/thicker. If not, well, you should know your equipment best.
I only quickly looked at your page even if it looks interesting. It looks however that the OP wants to do city touring. The only thing I'd want to add is that some people have said they couldn't survive rough areas with 38mm tires. So if you're using 700c wheels, I assume this would mean using 40c tires. This assumes though going through rough areas which I doubt the OP will do.
Old 07-27-14, 08:44 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Since your weight-on-bike is 170lbs you'll be fine on paved roads. For the off-road stuff, I'd recommend going to something fatter. The extra cushion will be safer, more comfortable, and less stressful on your wheelset.

Last edited by BigAura; 07-27-14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 09:03 AM
twolegs

Bikes: R J Quinn road bike with Reynolds 531cs tubing, Lombardo Hiker 6061 aluminium tubing, Dawes road bike 531c, Dawes road bike 531st, Peugeot road bike reynolds 753

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'd say start out on the 25's... they may not last the whole journey anyhow... and if you don't like them, move up when you buy newer ones..the off road stuff will present the biggest problem for you, it won't be as much fun as on the road using 25's