Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Beat by a bent.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Beat by a bent.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 09:31 AM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akeelor
Yesterday I was out on one of my typical 30-40 mile rides. On this particular day I was using a long section of the MUP to complete my route. I came up on a guy(I think since I never saw his face) on a recumbent bike. As I neared him (25 yards) he must have sensed me and he proceeded to accelerate. He buzzed through a cross-street and I had to basically stop due to traffic. After that it was a straight 5-mile shot and I never got closer than 100 yards. I maintained my speed between 23-25mph (path was empty) and couldn't gain any ground on the guy. Amazing athlete this person had to be to keep a trike going at those speeds. This wasn't one of the supine position trikes or two-wheeler with a fairing. Look like he was going to pedal himself right out of his seat. Not your atypical recumbent sighting.

**you have been outed
you have officially been placed on probation for a period of time to last no longer than 60 days..we are watching you are closely.

any more of this type of behavior will result in the 41 limiting your privileges to the champagne room.
Old 07-29-14, 09:50 AM
akeelor

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Northwestrider
At first I assumed you were talking about a bent bicycle, so I was not surprised at the speed all that much. But when I noticed you referred to a trike I immediately thought of electric assist.
It was definitely a trike. I seem to have mixed my language. No electric assist. Major pedaling.
Old 07-29-14, 09:53 AM
akeelor

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
**you have been outed
you have officially been placed on probation for a period of time to last no longer than 60 days..we are watching you are closely.

any more of this type of behavior will result in the 41 limiting your privileges to the champagne room.
? Must be humor I don't understand.
Old 07-29-14, 09:58 AM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
? Must be humor I don't understand.
yes, in the "41" we never go over 18mph but on the board we always report 27-31mph on the flats. In your post you have stated and I quote "I maintained my speed between 23-25mph".. honesty will not be tolerated around here
Old 07-29-14, 10:00 AM
akeelor

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
yes, in the "41" we never go over 18mph but on the board we always report 27-31mph on the flats. In your post you have stated and I quote "I maintained my speed between 23-25mph".. honesty will not be tolerated around here
It was definitely a fast ride. 37 miles at a 20.03 MPH avg pace.

Last edited by akeelor; 07-29-14 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-29-14, 10:07 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Since recumbants are a more efficient design for manual human powered pedaling, I wonder how it is as an exercise? Already I feel for cycling, it's very inefficient. To get the same level of exercise on a 5 mile 30 minute run, I have to cycle for 2 hours... I wonder if on recumbant you'd have to ride for 4 hours?
Don't think of a 30 minute run as being the same level of exercise as a 2 hour ride. Think of it that being on a bike instead of on foot allows you to extend your workout to 2 hours. If you're not as tired after your 2 hour ride, pick up the intensity.
I would say you'd get similar cardio benefits out of a 1 hour zone 4 workout whatever your exercise, be it run, bike, bent, swim, whatever, and the only difference between them is which set of muscles gets worked, and/or the wear and tear of pounding pavement/dirt/sand on your run.
Old 07-29-14, 11:17 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 759 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Northwestrider
...when I noticed you referred to a trike I immediately thought of electric assist.
My thought, too. Either that trike had an assist, or an Olympic-caliber motor.
Old 07-29-14, 11:48 AM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My thought, too. Either that trike had an assist, or an Olympic-caliber motor.
Somewhat dependent on the trike. I could see it with a Windcheetah or VTX- no way on a Terratrike. Even with a fast trike it'd be well over 250W.
Old 07-29-14, 12:03 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 54 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv
Somewhat dependent on the trike. I could see it with a Windcheetah or VTX- no way on a Terratrike. Even with a fast trike it'd be well over 250W.
I doubt it was a Terratrike. The handling on the ones I've tried is such crap that anyone who could hold that kind of speed on flats would be miserable if they had a chance to pick up any real speed. Decent trikes can be fairly quick if they're set up right and the motor isn't hopeless.
Old 07-29-14, 12:24 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 830 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv

Now you have.
Cutest bent rider I ever saw!
Old 07-29-14, 01:10 PM
akeelor

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I doubt it was a Terratrike. The handling on the ones I've tried is such crap that anyone who could hold that kind of speed on flats would be miserable if they had a chance to pick up any real speed. Decent trikes can be fairly quick if they're set up right and the motor isn't hopeless.
I think it was something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 07-29-14, 01:22 PM
imagesinthewind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 'bent. I'm a woman.
I am coming off a knee injury and surgery that had me non weight bearing for 2 months and I lost
my quad. With the rehab on the 'bent, I can dust my cyclist husband at 26 mph on flats. Still can't climb
because of the knee, but in time I'll get that bad boy back!
Old 07-29-14, 01:35 PM
Bob Shaver

Bikes: Catrike Speed tadpole trike, Rans F5 recumbent, 1973 Motobecane Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
akeeler: that is a delta trike, and there are some nice ones. They have a fairly long wheelbase, so they could track pretty straight. That particular one is not very fast, a Hase would be a delta trike that could be pretty fast. My trike has rock solid steering at 49.5 mph, my fastest speed. Mine is a Catrike Speed, a tadpole trike. I do OK on the flats compared to DFs on my trike.
BTW, I'm 64, silver hair, no beard, no belly. Here is my one time that I hit 49 mph on the trike. Note, in Idaho its legal for a bike to go thru a stop sign if there is no oncoming traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnQY...yer_detailpage
Old 07-29-14, 02:12 PM
Agent Cooper

Bikes: '04 Cannondale T800, '00 Raleigh M80

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
*shrug* Bents are fast. Even trike bents, apparently. And it sounds like this guy was in one heck of a hurry, and reckless to boot.

If you see him again I'd give that guy alot of space and leave him to it.
Old 07-29-14, 02:30 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 54 Times in 36 Posts
That's a delta trike -- most of the ones I see are Kettwiesels. They're not particularly fast (but definitely faster than a Terratrike tadpole), but they're not really slow either. I've never seen anyone climb very well in one, but they're decent enough on flats.
Old 07-29-14, 02:36 PM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
This thread is making me think of those YouTube pranks where they dress up an NBA player like an old man and send him into a pickup game where he commences wiping the floor with the weekend warriors. I've seen skateboarding versions, too. Can someone please recruit a Tour de France rider, dress him up in a wizard beard and cargo shorts, give him a matching bike so we can see what happens?
Old 07-29-14, 03:08 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by holden west
This thread is making me think of those YouTube pranks where they dress up an NBA player like an old man and send him into a pickup game where he commences wiping the floor with the weekend warriors. I've seen skateboarding versions, too. Can someone please recruit a Tour de France rider, dress him up in a wizard beard and cargo shorts, give him a matching bike so we can see what happens?
Maybe less than you'd think. There's different muscle recruitment on a 'bent.
Old 07-29-14, 04:55 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Yep some dude with a fairing has a 60 mph downhill kom
yeah, that would be Willie I'm sure. He's got some 70 + mph koms
Old 07-29-14, 05:03 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it depends on how many watts you are creating and the heart rate zone you are in. I only ride racing recumbents any more. Got my first one in 2002 and haven't looked back since. My bents must be fast because I get flagged on strava daily........lots of strava whiners out there.
Old 07-29-14, 05:08 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was definitely a fast ride. 37 miles at a 20.3 MPH avg pace.
fast is only relative to the platform and the terrain. If it was hilly terrain with lots of climbing then yes it is a fast ride. Rollers and flats, not so much. But since I don't know what bike or terrain I can only agree to disagree about it being a fast ride. Do you have a gps file from strava or garmin connect or map my ride or........... you get my point.
Old 07-29-14, 05:19 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tctdvm
My bent (bike, not trike) weighs 21lbs stripped down for hill climb TTs and 24lbs when I'm out training.
My Trek 5200 weighs 17.8 stripped down for short races and 20.5 lbs when I'm out training.
Those 2 bikes share the same Powertap (reynolds rims) 46mm carbon clincher wheelset.

Not sure what would you consider "kills them…"?
Over 1000VAM for an hour of 5-6% climbing? I was able to about 960 for 57:12 on the final 10 mile 5-6% Mt Baker climb in 2012's race (Ride 542. The official results are no longer available. :-( I did the 24.5 mile race in 1:40 and change for whatever that's worth)

I'm in the top 10% on this segment (8% for 2.2 miles) from a TT I did on that hill in 2012 (90th place currently. The official results are also no longer available.):
Strava Segment | Cougar Mountain TT (official course)
That one is 1250 VAM for 14 min (steeper grade=higher VAM)
I didn't run a power meter for either climb, but at the time I was able to hold between 300 and 310 watts for 14 min and probably only about 240-255 watts for the Mnt Baker climb.

Not sure how much time I could shave off these on my upright if any. Hoping to try soon, though.

I seem to be a touch faster on many of steeper 3-7 min climbs on my upright this year.
like this:
Strava Segment | SE Issaquah-Fall City Rd
and Lord Hill:
Strava Segment | Lord Hill

But then I've been targeting my training toward my upright bike this season, and I've increased the quality of my training significantly since 2012, too. (specifically, more beer)

Regardless, it seems to take 5-10% more power on the upright to even match or occasionally beat my best climbs on the bent from a couple years ago.
Even though I did Lord Hill 19 sec slower on my bent in 2012, I still haven't beaten my fastest bent climbs on several long and short climbs (~2 min), like High Rock:
Strava Segment | Cherry Valley Climb

anyhow, kind of long post, the platform vs platform comparison if fascinating to me...

My point is, power is power. Weight matters a bit, but it turns out with a more aero bike you easily overcome 5lbs of extra weight on climbs up to even 8%, if you supply the same amount of power.

Oh yeah, and I get 28 mph on 285 watts on the flats. :-)

T
I ran into a bent rider...all carbon fiber with Zipp wheels that wore me down after 10 miles. When we stopped I asked him if he felt his bent was more arrow than a diamond frame road bike and he said yes. The guy was fast.
So how much more aero is your bent say compared to you in the drops on your Trek?....Power versus speed..say watts at 25 mph?
Thanks
Old 07-29-14, 06:03 PM
rpeterson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I ran into a bent rider...all carbon fiber with Zipp wheels that wore me down after 10 miles. When we stopped I asked him if he felt his bent was more arrow than a diamond frame road bike and he said yes. The guy was fast.
So how much more aero is your bent say compared to you in the drops on your Trek?....Power versus speed..say watts at 25 mph?
Thanks
Bicycle Speed (Velocity) And Power Calculator

Plug the numbers in there, it's a pretty big difference, 4+mph at 200 watts based only on the bike and position between roadie and lowracer.
Old 07-29-14, 06:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 759 Times in 467 Posts
Hmm... the production equivalent to the Atomic Zombie would be a RANS Trizard. Only made for a year or two.

Old 07-29-14, 07:07 PM
akeelor

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
fast is only relative to the platform and the terrain. If it was hilly terrain with lots of climbing then yes it is a fast ride. Rollers and flats, not so much. But since I don't know what bike or terrain I can only agree to disagree about it being a fast ride. Do you have a gps file from strava or garmin connect or map my ride or........... you get my point.
For me it was a pretty fast ride. 20.03 actual time on Garmin. Pretty windy with 17mph gusts and then some nice tailwind. Only about 1000 ft of climbing. You can see the ride here:

Bike Ride Profile | 37 miles near Dayton | Times and Records | Strava
Old 07-29-14, 07:15 PM
Bob Shaver

Bikes: Catrike Speed tadpole trike, Rans F5 recumbent, 1973 Motobecane Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banerjek - if you were on a Terratrike and it seemed like it had squirrely handling, especially at speed, it might have needed the toe of the front wheels to be adjusted. If that is not right, any trike can be super twitchy. Toe is the allignment of the front wheels, if they are parallel, or closer at the front or at the back.

I know the OP was about a triker, but since its drifted into a comparison of DF (bent riders call regular bike DFs, for diamond frames) and bents for performance and aero, I'll mention this. A good comparison of the DF and bent platforms is in this post on my website, by an avid cyclist/ex-racer/healthy/youngish/non-disabled/strong cyclist who wanted to fully understand the bent platform by committing to it for awhile. He rode one long enough that he fully understood the differences, and never went back to DFs. His story is here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.