Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any advice for the new guy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 08:43 PM
waterBENder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am just getting into biking and I am looking for any advice on things I should buy or anything I should know. I am mostly biking for exercise and for fun.
Old 07-29-14, 08:52 PM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
Tell us...

Do you have a bike? If so, what do you have?

If not, where do you plan on riding (paved roads and trails or dirt trails)?

Overall, you don't need much to get on your bike and ride. A few items come to mind for specific needs.

For me, items I like to have on a ride are a saddle bag to carry my phone, wallet, spare tube, and 3 allen keys. I also have a water bottle and holder with an air pump attached to it.

Other things that are nice to have are flashing front and rear lights and a computer to tell your speed and distance.

And a helmet...my head isn't just a pretty hat rack
Old 07-30-14, 08:58 AM
waterBENder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think its a trek 3 series 3500. and mostly plan to do dirt trails and paved roads. Thank you for that though!
Old 07-30-14, 09:13 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Welcome!

I agree with clarkbre.

A helmet is critical. The brain doesn't heal as well as other body parts that you may damage in a crash. Being as visible to others as possible is a key factor to safety as well.

As many tools and parts as needed to prevent having to push the bike home in case of a flat tire. Water is always good to have. A little food for longer rides.

Wicking clothing if riding in hot weather is nice. Cycling shorts help me, especially if I am riding more than an hour or so.

Lube the chain whenever it starts to make sounds, and replace the chain every couple of thousand miles... along with any other maintenance to keep your bike riding smoothly.

Be sure to check here and/or ask if you have specific issues as you get more into cycling.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-30-14, 10:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
... or anything I should know. (?)
Bike shops are there to help you ..
Old 07-30-14, 10:52 AM
FLJeepGuy

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterBENder
I think its a trek 3 series 3500. and mostly plan to do dirt trails and paved roads. Thank you for that though!
Not a bad bike at all! I've got a 2004 Trek 3500 that I can't seem to part with. It's my backup bike and the one I ride with my teenage kids when they want to hit the trails.

I'll second the recommendations for a helmet, and a small under-seat or frame bag for carrying small items. A basic multi-tool and patch kit can be nice as well. A water bottle holder and bottle are good as hydration is extremely important, especially during the warmer/hotter months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2004Trek3500.jpg (100.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-30-14, 11:21 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Wear what's comfortable FOR YOU,could be a Bozo the Clown suit and BIG Red Shoes!.....

If your under 18,wear a helmet.If not,Welcome to America,do what you want....

When riding on the street,look at doors and front wheels,they will tell you what the car is going to do.....Nobody's going to turn in front of you if the wheels are going straight.....The wheels will give you a heads up long before the driver turns their head to look.....The person in the car will not kill you,but the car will......

People driving can/do look right at you and not see you....Their brain is thinking car,not bike.....Making eye contact is NOT always what it appears to be.....

Red lights and stop signs are only a suggestion these days,chances are you only get 1 mistake,DO NOT think that everybody is going to stop,THEY'RE NOT!

The Internet IS NOT THE LAST WORK ON ANY SUBJECT!...EVER!...

Most important,HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Booger1; 07-30-14 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-30-14, 03:42 PM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two most important new things I've learned as an adult new to cycling since a kid:

1. Seat height. You can't get max efficiency out of your legs effort if your seat is so low you can touch the ground. Also you have to learn a new way to get up on the seat or down off of it. Starting and Stopping

2. cadence. pedal faster than you think you should. pedalling slow and hard comes from when we were little on single-speed bmxes. choose a lower easier gear that spins your feet faster and you'll last longer.
Old 07-30-14, 03:59 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I think that it's essential for a rider to be able to pedal the bike with one leg, either leg, while kicking at a 90* angle with the other!! for at least a block,,,,