Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can we talk titanium?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can we talk titanium?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 04:39 AM
tommyblair22
Moultoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I just remembered:

OP - you owe me one

FS Vintage Merlin Titanium - Page 2 - The Paceline Forum

I'm going to try to snag this Thanks! I'll keep you updated
Old 09-29-14, 06:44 PM
tommyblair22
Moultoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Already sold, dang. Please keep your eyes out for me!
Originally Posted by tommyblair22
I'm going to try to snag this Thanks! I'll keep you updated
Old 09-29-14, 06:56 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 352 Times in 177 Posts
Sorry - I'll keep an eye open. They do appear on eBay with some regularity, and you have an easy to get size. One thing to be aware of is that many have a goofy proprietary bottom bracket - you can't just use any bb...phil wood makes one. You're better off making sure it comes with the bottom bracket. That's the main reason they go for less money than their riding value.
Old 09-29-14, 07:12 PM
tommyblair22
Moultoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does this make picking a group difficult? Any major compatibility issues?
Old 09-29-14, 07:24 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I see Litespeeds at that $1200 price point with some regularity. I believe they would be nice rides for that amount of money. Generally they are equipped with older ultegra or better groups, nothing too shabby. Good luck.
Old 09-29-14, 07:36 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Does this make picking a group difficult? Any major compatibility issues?
Yes and no - phil wood still makes them. It does limit you if you want a latest/greatest crank, but pretty much all systems and chains work fine with older cranks, or newer square taper. There are instructions out there, easy to find, on servicing the bearings. I just have my lbs do it.
Old 09-29-14, 08:08 PM
kylarr

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I rode a Merlin as my only road bike for eight years. It was amazing, they are super stable and responsive bikes. I have bombed hills at ~50 m.p.h and done 100 mile days, I never gave the bike a second thought. I would get another Tom Kellogg designed bike in a heartbeat. Especially one of those really hot Spectrum anniversary steel bikes.

The only reason I moved on is because eight years is a long time with the same bike for me and I wanted to check out vintage steel. I still have the frame and will probably never sell it, I might just want to ride it again someday.

Unfortunately I could not find any pictures of the bike built up. They must be on an old computer in my storage unit.

Here is the frame:

IMG_0700 by lelandgibson, on Flickr

I think it is from about 2000 or so because of the early campy carbon bits that were on it. I have seen other painted frames from the same era as well. They go pretty reasonably. The one thing I don't like about it is the integrated headset. Its just really hard to find parts for. you should watch for that as well as the BB.
Old 09-29-14, 08:12 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,984 Times in 2,293 Posts
Simple - and it should be in budget - Cambridge Merlin. I'm not sure exactly what it is about these bikes, but they're my favorite production rides, hands down. My advice with ti is to stick with builders who work with ti almost exclusively, and to avoid subcontracted frames. Another option, though likely slightly higher than budget, is a Serotta legend. At your budget - it's Merlin.

Not to disagree with KA Snake, but there may be exceptions.

I have a Ti subcontracted frame from Merlin through Excel Sports in Boulder, CO. They were the USA West's largest distributor of Merlin in the 90's, and had a history of running private label frames from steel to Al to Ti models. My Macalu Cirrus is from a mixed tubeset of the early 2000s Extralight. I've never gotten a first hand story regarding the details of the Macalu line. Mine was from the years when the Merlin Mass team was transitioning production to Litespeed TN. Naturally, the seller of my frameset told the story of a frame from Mass. It has the curved seat&chainstay rear-end with thick chainstays. This model has a relatively short headtube for the 59cm size. It rides small and lightning fast with a light-weight wheelset.

I will update with pics when I can find them.
Old 09-29-14, 08:50 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Here is the Macalu mentioned above. If anyone knows the detailed history of the Ti Macalu line in the early 2000s, please PM me.

This has been my go-to bike as the curved chainstays allow a triple, even with relatively short cs length. It took me across WA state a few years back. Stiff frame for its' time. There was another Macalu model that was more touring oriented and whippy in the larger sizes.

On the road = Olympic Peninsula in the summer daisy season.

Or across WA in Hwy 20
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3905.JPG (91.1 KB, 461 views)
IMG_3895.jpg (81.3 KB, 464 views)
IMG_3896.jpg (103.8 KB, 479 views)

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-29-14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 11:51 PM
agchopz

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
saw a guy walking around the flee market with a vintage titanium merlin with dura ace, i asked him how much he paid, he said 90 dollars.
Old 10-01-14, 12:01 AM
DVC45

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by agchopz
saw a guy walking around the flee market with a vintage titanium merlin with dura ace, i asked him how much he paid, he said 90 dollars.
I don't know why, but that makes me wanna cry.
Old 10-01-14, 05:21 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

This might be a good time to mention that people lie...especially about money.
Old 10-01-14, 05:30 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Not to disagree with KA Snake, but there may be exceptions.

I have a Ti subcontracted frame from Merlin through Excel Sports in Boulder, CO. They were the USA West's largest distributor of Merlin in the 90's, and had a history of running private label frames from steel to Al to Ti models. My Macalu Cirrus is from a mixed tubeset of the early 2000s Extralight. I've never gotten a first hand story regarding the details of the Macalu line. Mine was from the years when the Merlin Mass team was transitioning production to Litespeed TN. Naturally, the seller of my frameset told the story of a frame from Mass. It has the curved seat&chainstay rear-end with thick chainstays. This model has a relatively short headtube for the 59cm size. It rides small and lightning fast with a light-weight wheelset.

I will update with pics when I can find them.
By any chance, did it have "hooded" rear dropouts and a 7 o'clock rear brake cable routing, with braze-on DT bosses?
Old 10-01-14, 05:33 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
This might be a good time to mention that people lie...especially about money.
Maybe the guy let a 0 slip with is significant other within earshot
Old 10-01-14, 05:42 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Italuminium
Maybe the guy let a 0 slip with is significant other within earshot
Old 10-01-14, 02:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
... did it have "hooded" rear dropouts and a 7 o'clock rear brake cable routing, with braze-on DT bosses?
I added 3 photos a couple of days ago to my above post.
Rear dropouts are not hooded
Rear brake cable routing is via 2 braze-ons at about 7 o'clock (left side, lower portion of top tube)
No downtube bosses. Cable routing has head tube braze-ons.

Does that add to the understanding of this frame?

IIRC from my search years ago the 2002 Extralight had similar dropouts and HT cable routing braze-ons. The HT was appropriate for an integrated headset, while my Macalu has a traditional headtube for 1 1/8 headset. The bike also came with a Real Design fork, which was a Litespeed product (i think).

Here's a link to Velospace and a 2002 Extralight - with exception of headtube, mine 'looks' similar. Same fork, too.
https://velospace.org/node/31819
By th way, I've never said my bike is an exact copy of the Extralight, just similar in many ways.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-01-14 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 11:29 PM
agchopz

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVC45
I don't know why, but that makes me wanna cry.
It was seriously all i could think about for at least a week, why didnt i get to the flee market an hour sooner!!!!! it haunted me in the shower
Old 10-02-14, 01:00 AM
Narhay

Liked 570 Times in 316 Posts
I've had a mega tube Bianchi road bike and a Merlin Titanium mountain bike. I much preferred the Merlin and sold the Bianchi.

Both Craigslist steals.
Old 10-02-14, 09:36 AM
FlatSix911

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Any interest in building your bike with a new Ti frame?

Frameset 3AL/2.5V Butted Titanium Frameset $999
High Modulus Carbon Fiber fork with Carbon Steerer
Save Up to 60% Off Road Titanium framesets - Motobecane Le Champion Team Ti

Last edited by FlatSix911; 10-02-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 10:17 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

^^^ That is exactly the kind of ti frame I would not go near. Ti isn't something to do on a budget (unless used), if it's out of budget (and it's out of mine) I think you're best off buying used, or going with a different material. Ti frames are, in my experience, more variable in ride quality and build quality than other materials. I have ridden some truly uninspiring ti frames and I don't think many really design well with the material. Tom Kellogg has the voodoo, Serotta had the voodoo. Folks I trust say Moots, Firefly, and Hollands have the voodoo, though I haven't ridden one. A lot of really good frame makers don't - my De Rosa Primato is a much better ride than the titanio.

I look at it this way - you're really buying the builder, and some like to work in ti. Don't buy something just because it's titanium, or SLX, or 531, etc. A good builder can make a good frame with nearly any material - and a bad frame can be made with any material too. Just because it's ti doesn't make it special.

A bikes direct ti frame? No thanks.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-02-14 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 10:52 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
What's funny is that I recently passed up a Merlin at your budget because I have one. They really are exceptional bikes...it's nice to see someone as knowledgeable as nlerner...and GMG...concur. I have been disappointed with the other ti roadies I've ridden - but my Merlin sings. The Merlin isn't the lightest ti I've had (the main difference being build, not frame), but it's the most comfortable and the best handling.

Mine is nothing much to look at, but its beauty comes when it's being ridden.

I am planning on converting it over to campy 10 soon - with a cook bros. crank. Honestly - I am shocked that these aren't more desirable given how desired they were at the time and how well they hold up.
I'm pretty sure why these bikes ride so well is who designed them. Tom Kellogg is VERY well respected designer, fitter, and bike builder and painter. He is also pretty darn quick riding a bike as well. I sold my Merlin when I broke my back and it looked as if I would never ride again. I recovered and could not find the Merlin I wanted, so after looking at all the new Ti bikes being built. I called TK and had him build a Spectrum for me. VERY GLAD I DID!
Attached Images
Likes For jr59:
Old 10-02-14, 11:21 AM
5matt

Bikes: 72 Gitane TDF (fixie), 73 Colnago Super (frame), 1985 Centurion Elite RS, 1999 Torelli Super Countach (commuter), 2002 Colnago CT1 (fun)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 2002 Colnago CT1 (CarbonFiber rear triangle and fork/Titanium main); and it is the most comfortable riding bike I've ever owned-ridden up to 214 miles in a day on it. I don't know if the production was out-sourced, but I've never had any issues with the frame.
Old 10-02-14, 01:07 PM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have and Eddy Merckx titanium bike that was built by Litespeed. Here are a few pics of the bare frame. I will try to get some built up pics tonite.

Old 10-02-14, 01:34 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, get a Merlin! It's my favorite bike.

I would also look into GT (this one is not mine):

Last edited by link0; 10-02-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 07:07 PM
FlatSix911

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Funny thing, how is the OP going to build a custom Ti frame from Serotta, Moots, Firefly, or Hollands at the $1,200 price point ...

I'm interested in buying a titanium road bike for faster rides. I've got about $1200 as my budget.
Any recommendations or words of wisdom as to preferred brands or things to keep an eye out for? Thanks in advance!
^^^ That is exactly the kind of ti frame I would not go near. Ti isn't something to do on a budget (unless used), if it's out of budget (and it's out of mine) I think you're best off buying used, or going with a different material. Ti frames are, in my experience, more variable in ride quality and build quality than other materials. I have ridden some truly uninspiring ti frames and I don't think many really design well with the material. Tom Kellogg has the voodoo, Serotta had the voodoo. Folks I trust say Moots, Firefly, and Hollands have the voodoo, though I haven't ridden one. A lot of really good frame makers don't - my De Rosa Primato is a much better ride than the titanio.

I look at it this way - you're really buying the builder, and some like to work in ti. Don't buy something just because it's titanium, or SLX, or 531, etc. A good builder can make a good frame with nearly any material - and a bad frame can be made with any material too. Just because it's ti doesn't make it special. A bikes direct ti frame? No thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.