Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

mtb-tourer bars

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

mtb-tourer bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 07:01 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 254 Posts
mtb-tourer bars

howdy
I'm betting there's about 1000 posts about switching from flat-mtb handle bars to something more-better for touring. If some one can point me to a concise one I'd appreciate it.

I think I'd like to switch from flat bars (risers, actually), to Nitto Albastache bars.

Any opinions on the Albastache vs. Randonneur bars? (Besides the cost....) I had Randonneur bars on a too small touring Cannondale, but I sold the whole rig a while ago. Now my touring bike is a free-bie RockHopper from the 80s. I'd like to make it multi-day comfortable. Planning to raise the bars a bit more and get a reach that's further back.

Any issues with road brake levers and cantilever brakes?

All the fine advice from the boards is appreciated.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q...ay14%2B133.JPG

Last edited by mrv; 10-04-14 at 07:12 PM. Reason: another Q
Old 10-04-14, 07:34 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5936 Post(s)
Liked 3,631 Times in 2,153 Posts
Trekking bars are great with multiple hand positions and easy as pie to install since your levers and shifters will work just fine. This is mine:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0069.jpg (95.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 10-04-14, 07:34 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Have you considered trekking bars: Nashbar Trekking Mountain Bike Handlebar
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-05-14, 04:05 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
Trekking bars may have a million hand positions, but gawd are they ugly.

I don't have any feedback on the Albastache bars--I'm actually waiting for them to get in stock so I can try a pair myself. I think they will be a good compromise between drops (which I've never really liked), and my knockoff Albatross bar (a Soma Oxford), where I find the main grip position too upright--I always end up with my hand on the forward hooks, which is the main position on the Albastache.
Old 10-05-14, 02:46 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by seat_boy
Trekking bars may have a million hand positions, but gawd are they ugly.
yeah.... that's one reason I don't like the trekking bars. I was also thinking of going to bar end shifters - the Deore LX I'm using are old 8spd brake/shifter pods. The ratchet/index is missing / broke at the lowest gear, so I've really on got 7spd shifters. These aren't made any more, so I'd have to upgrade - not a bad thing, I could switch to v-brakes - just more money on this bike!

bikemig - that's a great looking stumpjumper. I've kicked around the idea getting ride of the RockHopper and finding a StumpJumper. I think they're a bit lighter.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post a photo when I pull the trigger and switch the bars out.
Old 10-05-14, 03:47 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I went with some Jones H-bars this year and I love them! That's the best review. I can't possibly even consider switching back. They are roomy and comfortable on my back as well as hands.
Old 10-05-14, 03:47 PM
loubapache

Bikes: 2015 Windsor Oxford; 2012 Trek T900; 2008 Iron Horse Commuter; 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro; 1999 Kona Lava Dome; 1992 Trek 520 Tour; 1980 Fuji Grand Tour SE; 1973 Raleigh LTD-3; 1956 Robin Hood; 198x Worksman Industrial Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another Stumpjumper with Trekking bars.

Attached Images
stumpjumper-1.jpg (103.1 KB, 291 views)
Old 10-05-14, 04:57 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
...Any issues with road brake levers and cantilever brakes?
Road brake levers are compatible with cantilever brakes.

Brad
Old 10-05-14, 06:26 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by pamaguahiker
I went with some Jones H-bars this year and I love them! That's the best review. I can't possibly even consider switching back. They are roomy and comfortable on my back as well as hands.
H-BAR
interesting - any photos of your set up? these don't look like they would accommodate bar ends. i'm still perusing the website though.
Old 10-05-14, 06:56 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Originally Posted by mrv
H-BAR
interesting - any photos of your set up? these don't look like they would accommodate bar ends. i'm still perusing the website though.
Yea. There is not room for bar ends. Just multiple shifting places for the hands. I have only a couple of photos that give full view of the h-bar.

But i have used the front for bags, headlights, map guides, and even vid cam. Multiple purposes and the bag has been used for good weighted loads. I use a triangle frame bag as well as seat bag when i tour. I actually have several frame bags from medium to large. As you can see by the pic...those bars are very stable. I think the bars combined with the frameset allow the stability. Even with the front bag. I could ride all day with no hands. Very nice set up. For reference, the bicycle is a 1993 Bianchi Project 700c frameset, just finished the full build this year.

Pic with the frame bag in it.
Old 10-05-14, 07:47 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Mr. Rusty Bitts @pamaguahiker - thanks so much. those look pretty interesting.
i will ready up on those, see if my LBS deals in Jones stuff.
i'm going to give a set of Randonneur bars a try through the winter and spring. i've got a friend who has a set, hates them, and i've got many sets of standard bars to swap with him.
i'm kind of intrigued by the H-bars.
Old 10-05-14, 08:25 PM
pamaguahiker 

@mrv I was skeptical at first...then started to ride with them and I am completely sold. They aren't cheap by any means but they work and they work well. I would have spent maybe an hour on that mtb before....now. I can go out for 3-4 hours at a time and just spin at whatever pace i want. No problems, no back pain, i sit up straighter and i also can say my average speeds and my speed in general are not affected by the seating position.

On my VO Campeur..which I consider my heavy duty touring bike. I have a set of VO gran cru randos that i am very pleased with as well, i use bar cons with that bike. I can tell you that i wouldn't hesitate to put a set of jones h-bars on that either. strange as it may seem. And i think the fact they sweep back more than usual is a selling point for me too.

Give those randos a try....
Old 10-05-14, 08:53 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
also had trekking bars setup similar to mikemig's stumpy, but hated the look, with the "butterfly wings" pointing upwards. I recently switched it around the other way to have it point downwards and like it much better, I also have the stem and bars aligned in parallel which makes it quite a bit cleaner looking. The fit is a little more aggressive of a position, but still plenty comfortable
Old 10-06-14, 08:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Using Trekking bars on 2 bikes Ergon combo grip-bar-ends on a 3rd ..

Unlike the stumpie in no. 7 post , the bar bends down a little as it comes out of the stem.

that angle is a more comfortable grip in a forward reach (mustache bars, properly, also curve downward, for a similar reason)

forward reach is like the drops, in that a hold out there & a little elbow bending gets me the same body position into headwinds .

I wrapped mine twice with padded Tape. foam sleeves would do too..

Picture from 6 years ago WB Bicycle Gallery: Robert Clark's Koga Miyata WTR

it is also possible to use Road brake levers on them , in the front, to be even more Mustache bar like .. Handlebars for Touring and Commuting

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-06-14 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 02:15 PM
qclabrat

looks good Bob, my angles are similar but less upright. Where did you get the t-bar accessory stem? I saw one online a few years ago, but have not seen one recently. Was looking to mount my GPS and light higher up for my Pocket Llama.
Old 10-06-14, 03:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
T bar was part of the Koga-ITM Trekking-bar package deal..

one option a SJS Thorn accessory bar
Thorn Accessory Bar T Shaped 55 mm Extension - £16.33
Thorn Accessory Bar MK2 T Shaped 105 mm Extension - £19.99
etc. Thorn Bicycle Equipment Shop at SJS Cycles

fitted on above the stem you have for the handlebars .. requiring a bit higher steerer tube extension obviously ..

I put a second stem beneath the bars in that picture .
Old 10-07-14, 07:23 AM
qclabrat

thorn, that's what I saw a few years back, glad to see it is still available
thanks Bob, I'll be ordering one shortly

Originally Posted by fietsbob
T bar was part of the Koga-ITM Trekking-bar package deal..

one option a SJS Thorn accessory bar
Thorn Accessory Bar T Shaped 55 mm Extension - £16.33
Thorn Accessory Bar MK2 T Shaped 105 mm Extension - £19.99
etc. Thorn Bicycle Equipment Shop at SJS Cycles

fitted on above the stem you have for the handlebars .. requiring a bit higher steerer tube extension obviously ..

I put a second stem beneath the bars in that picture .
Old 10-07-14, 07:49 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I just got the Jones H-Loop bars a couple weeks ago. A shop near me in Maryland carries Jones products, so it was great to be able to try out before buying. So many hand positions and the 45 degree sweep is natural and very comfortable. I'll probably cut them down to fit the Ergon grips. Really like the aero positions available.

Old 10-07-14, 07:54 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5936 Post(s)
Liked 3,631 Times in 2,153 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I just got the Jones H-Loop bars a couple weeks ago. A shop near me in Maryland carries Jones products, so it was great to be able to try out before buying. So many hand positions and the 45 degree sweep is natural and very comfortable. I'll probably cut them down to fit the Ergon grips. Really like the aero positions available.

The H bars look cool (as does your surly). Isn't the aero position a bit narrow (as the bar narrows the farther you reach) and doesn't this compromise handling a bit? It reminds me a bit of the aero position on a moustache bar which I didn't like.

One thing I like about trekking bars is that the aero position is nice and wide so that handling is very good.
Old 10-07-14, 08:07 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The H bars look cool (as does your surly). Isn't the aero position a bit narrow (as the bar narrows the farther you reach) and doesn't this compromise handling a bit? It reminds me a bit of the aero position on a moustache bar which I didn't like.

One thing I like about trekking bars is that the aero position is nice and wide so that handling is very good.
There are really two aero positions. Just in front of the shifters on the joint and hands butted up against the light mounts. The way forward position does narrow the arms a bit, but it's not at all uncomfortable unless it's rough. The other aero position is "all day" comfortable. I've never tried trekking bars as a comparison. Handling is excellent in all hand positions, but I will get back on the grips for the best control. I move my hands all around the bars, so having lots of options suits my riding style.
Old 10-07-14, 08:17 AM
qclabrat

the Jones looks like a good option for an adventure bike I am building up. has anyone seen an H bar with some rise? my only gripe with the trekking bars are they tend be a bit mushy on the bar-end where I mount the brakes. If i mount at the top, it's less comfortable and needs me to stretch out
Old 10-07-14, 09:40 PM
pamaguahiker 

yes, mine are at a rise. See the pics here...

Old 10-08-14, 04:31 AM
colonel corn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend the On One Mary handlebars. They occupy a middleground in terms of sweep degree that very few other bars do and I find this is the sweetspot. Additionally, they curve forward before sweeping back to (partially) mitigate the fore/aft effect of swept bars - that is, they don't give such an upright position. I toured comfortably for 6 weeks with just the one hand position.
Old 10-08-14, 05:55 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
I've used these bars on a couple of my bikes and liked them a lot. They can be used with thumb-shifters and I modified mine by cutting a little off the open ends (they are away from you when fitted). This allowed me to fit a Mirrycle mirror in a position not exposed to knocks.
Humpert AHS Basic Sport Handlebars - £35.73

Attached Images
bars.jpg (15.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 10-08-14, 08:22 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I've done trekking bars and I've done albatross bars. Both are okay. I don't find that I like grabbing the a-bars at the bend too much. I was counting on that as a 2nd hand position, and I use it, but the curve is too much for me. I've been thinking I may want something that comes out straight from the stem, and then angles back sharply. The curve and sweep of the a-bars is more attractive, but isn't very comfortable to me. However the primary hand position is very comfortable.

The trekking bars definitely have more usable hand positions, which I like, but not one of those hand positions are as comfortable as the primary position on the albatross bars. Right now my back-up bike is wearing the trekking bars. They do the job, and I've taken some longer trips with them. Right now they are have won out over other bars in parts boxes mainly because they allow me to lean further forward than any of my swept back bars.

As far as brake/shifter compatibility, just pay attention to the diameter of the bars and brakes. I don't remember any issues, but I never had drops to transition from. I do know that because I use a grip shifter, I have very limited mounting options on the trekking bars. I also cannot slide brake levers around the bends. If I wanted to position my levers anywhere other than near the open section of the bar, I would need levers with the multi-part handlebar clamp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.