Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Custom built bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Custom built bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 03:13 PM
gomango

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
While I would agree on the disc brakes, I did ride a Riv Rambouillet with Tektro calipers in the Bavarian Alps last summer on a two day trip. I only had a Carradice on the back and a Berthoud on the front. The Tektros were fairly efficient overall, but man, we got those Kool Stops good and steamy at times.

If it was pouring it would have been more than nice to have discs.
Old 02-09-14, 03:16 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
If you only ride one bike, I could see a dynamo making sense - but otherwise I see them as pretty pointless and limiting. The batteries on the good rechargeable LEDs are so good now, and move between bikes so easily, that dynamos don't make sense for most people. You're adding cost, weight and friction just to limit adaptability.
I haven't made a jump to a dynamo yet either.

I saw a Schmidt that looked nifty at the swap today until I saw the price.
Old 02-09-14, 03:27 PM
4Rings6Stars
Seņor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would only do an integrated rack and a dynamo on a dedicated touring bike. Not for a bike I want to use as an all rounder then do the occasional loaded tour, I mean a bike that exclusively gets used on long / loaded tours.

I currently use my Soma DC disc for commuting and light/weekend touring. It works great for that, but if I was riding thousands of miles I would want more relaxed geometry.

I have ridden mechanical discs for a few years now and I really like them. When I have my custom built, It will probably be set up to use mechanical with the option for wet discs in the future (when they inevitably become more affordable and reliable).
Old 02-09-14, 03:41 PM
Flog00

Bikes: Tomii Touring

Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
My sons Cannondale Caffeine has wet brakes and I'm impressed with the smoothness and power but not with the leaky reservoirs.

Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
I would only do an integrated rack and a dynamo on a dedicated touring bike. Not for a bike I want to use as an all rounder then do the occasional loaded tour, I mean a bike that exclusively gets used on long / loaded tours.

I currently use my Soma DC disc for commuting and light/weekend touring. It works great for that, but if I was riding thousands of miles I would want more relaxed geometry.

I have ridden mechanical discs for a few years now and I really like them. When I have my custom built, It will probably be set up to use mechanical with the option for wet discs in the future (when they inevitably become more affordable and reliable).
Old 02-09-14, 04:11 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,737 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by smallpox champ
Having a kickstand plate would be a great option.
Yes.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-09-14, 07:06 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'd be your first

In all seriousness - I don't think this would make sense, at least for me; I like having the option of removing the rack - or replacing it. Sometimes I change a bike up for purpose - or I might want to transport it, and a hard wired rack can't be removed to facilitate transfer.
We also build removable racks... on a dedicated touring bike the rack rarely comes off unless it serves some double duty or is S&S coupled to make packing easier.
Old 02-09-14, 08:01 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 352 Times in 177 Posts
That makes sense 65r...thanks! I'm slow
Old 10-05-14, 08:09 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,737 Times in 951 Posts
[MENTION=252763]Flog00[/MENTION]

How is this coming?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-05-14, 08:21 AM
Flog00

Nao moved to Austin, Texas and just set up shop. He is working on my bike now.
Check him out on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/tomii.cycles

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
@Flog00

How is this coming?
Old 10-05-14, 08:41 AM
gomango

Can't wait to see it.

Really interesting builder I think.
Old 10-05-14, 09:19 AM
vqstaphbeard

Bikes: AR Cycles Randonneuse, Raleigh Competition, VeloOrange Piolet Prototype, LeJeune Townie, Motobecane Campeur, AR Cycles roadie, Rickert track, Cannondale SM 500, '55 Schwinn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is right up my alley. Looking forward to updates. Have you decided on a gruppo?
Old 10-05-14, 09:53 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
highly impressed by the simple yet beautiful styling on his builds. Can't wait to see it build!
Old 10-05-14, 10:03 AM
Flog00

I made a decision on the crank set, https://www.compasscycle.com/images/cranks_rh_triple.jpg
Pretty sure I'm going to use bar end shifters, not sure about drives yet.

Originally Posted by vqstaphbeard
This is right up my alley. Looking forward to updates. Have you decided on a gruppo?
Old 10-05-14, 10:15 AM
vqstaphbeard

Bikes: AR Cycles Randonneuse, Raleigh Competition, VeloOrange Piolet Prototype, LeJeune Townie, Motobecane Campeur, AR Cycles roadie, Rickert track, Cannondale SM 500, '55 Schwinn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flog00
I made a decision on the crank set, https://www.compasscycle.com/images/cranks_rh_triple.jpg
Pretty sure I'm going to use bar end shifters, not sure about drives yet.
You dog! I considered those for my current build but just couldn't pull the trigger. Simplex retrofrictions on riv pods?
Old 10-07-14, 07:06 PM
Flog00

tomii1 by flog00, on Flickr

tomii2 by flog00, on Flickr

tomii3 by flog00, on Flickr

tomii4 by flog00, on Flickr
Old 10-08-14, 04:19 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Ye gods that looks good.
Old 10-10-14, 11:38 AM
Flog00

IMG_30795929730069 by flog00, on Flickr

IMG_40005121203836 by flog00, on Flickr
Old 10-16-14, 05:33 PM
Flog00

Originally Posted by vqstaphbeard
You dog! I considered those for my current build but just couldn't pull the trigger. Simplex retrofrictions on riv pods?
I wonder if these would work with the riv pods?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spidel-Simpl...item234268b590
Old 10-16-14, 05:57 PM
Flog00

tomii6 by flog00, on Flickr

tomii5 by flog00, on Flickr
Old 10-16-14, 06:15 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Oh my...
Old 10-16-14, 06:34 PM
Lamplight

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I'm actually going through this process right now, although money definitely is an issue in my case. It's still a semi-custom frame from Joshua Bryant (which is being painted as I type this) with a custom front rack for my Berthoud handlebar bag, as well as custom bolt-on low rider racks if I ever decide to do any longer trips. The bike is designed for front loads only, and it will usually only carry the handlebar bag. For components, I'm reusing parts from my Univega that are compatible, with new parts where they're necessary. Since this bike will be 650b instead of 700c, I had a wheelset built with Grand Bois rims, a Schmidt front hub, and a Suzue cassette rear hub (I'll be using an 8 speed cassette). Concering dyno hubs and lights, I've made the switch on my commuter and my Univega (and now this bike), and I can't imagine ever going back to battery lights unless I just had to for some reason. For a headlight I'll be reusing the Schmidt Edelux I have on my Univega, and for a tail light I plan to adapt modern LED guts to an old Soubitez fender mounted light. I'm reusing the TA cranks and Shimano 1st gen XTR rear derailleur from my Univega, as well as the old Dia Compe cantilever brakes and brake levers. I have some 8 speed Shimano 600 downtube shifters I plan to use, and hopefully my Suntour Cyclone front derailleur. I'll also be reusing my Brooks Team Pro saddle, Nitto stem, and Belleri handlebars. Tires are Compass Cycles 650b x 42mm, with 58mm Honjo fenders.

Now if money were no object? I would definitely change a few things. But from a functional standpoint this should suit my needs nearly perfectly. Hopefully I'll find out soon!
Old 10-16-14, 06:43 PM
Flog00

It sounds amazing! You have some great parts, why not use them?
And money is always an issue

Originally Posted by Lamplight
I'm actually going through this process right now, although money definitely is an issue in my case. It's still a semi-custom frame from Joshua Bryant (which is being painted as I type this) with a custom front rack for my Berthoud handlebar bag, as well as custom bolt-on low rider racks if I ever decide to do any longer trips. The bike is designed for front loads only, and it will usually only carry the handlebar bag. For components, I'm reusing parts from my Univega that are compatible, with new parts where they're necessary. Since this bike will be 650b instead of 700c, I had a wheelset built with Grand Bois rims, a Schmidt front hub, and a Suzue cassette rear hub (I'll be using an 8 speed cassette). Concering dyno hubs and lights, I've made the switch on my commuter and my Univega (and now this bike), and I can't imagine ever going back to battery lights unless I just had to for some reason. For a headlight I'll be reusing the Schmidt Edelux I have on my Univega, and for a tail light I plan to adapt modern LED guts to an old Soubitez fender mounted light. I'm reusing the TA cranks and Shimano 1st gen XTR rear derailleur from my Univega, as well as the old Dia Compe cantilever brakes and brake levers. I have some 8 speed Shimano 600 downtube shifters I plan to use, and hopefully my Suntour Cyclone front derailleur. I'll also be reusing my Brooks Team Pro saddle, Nitto stem, and Belleri handlebars. Tires are Compass Cycles 650b x 42mm, with 58mm Honjo fenders.

Now if money were no object? I would definitely change a few things. But from a functional standpoint this should suit my needs nearly perfectly. Hopefully I'll find out soon!
Old 10-16-14, 07:20 PM
vqstaphbeard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder if these would work with the riv pods?

Spidel Simplex Super LJ SLJ Retro Friction Downtube Shifters | eBay

They should work, just unbolt them from the band clamp. I happen to have retrofrictions and riv pods in the parts bin, I'll mate them up and post a picture.

P.S. your frame is looking amazing!

Last edited by vqstaphbeard; 10-16-14 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-16-14, 09:27 PM
Lamplight

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It sounds amazing! You have some great parts, why not use them?
And money is always an issue
Thanks! And I agree on the parts. I'd like to eventually get the new Rene Herse cranks and brazed Grand Bois stem, but since those would essentially be cosmetic improvements, I just can't justify them right now.

Also, the details of your frame look incredible! Some incredibly clean workmanship there! I can't wait to see the finished bike.
Old 10-16-14, 11:23 PM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
A bike like that deserves a top end bottom bracket. SKF bottom brackets are about as good as they get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.