Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

l984 Specialized Stumpjumper is it Worth it?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 08:19 AM
Midtown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at this 84' Stumpjumper for a winter bike.
She's asking $400, original owner and appears in good condition.
I don't know much about pricing on these and research is all over the place, as far as condition, etc.
So, your thoughts on the bike and the price.
Thank you.

Rare & Classic l984 Specialized Stumpjumper
Old 10-18-14, 08:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
If all you want is a winter bike, there are plenty of good vintage mtbs available for less. Vintage mtbs, unlike road bikes, don't tend to go for much. The price the seller is seeking prices the bike more as a collectible than a rider. The stumpies with the biplane forks are nice and do tend to command a bit higher price. Maybe they'll become collectible but I think that this is too high for a craigslist sale and definitely too high for a winter bike. I paid a heck of a lot less for my 1988 stumpjumper comp which I turned into a commuter.

If you're just looking for a winter bike, you should be able to get something very good for between $100-$200. You're going to have to mod the bike in any case (studded tires, lights, etc.) and you need to figure that into the price you pay.
Old 10-18-14, 08:54 AM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that it's not a collector bike but the price isn't totally out of this world. I would consider the bike worth $200 before the rack and fenders, plus it's already got good tires for commuting. Ready to go, no hassle...I would think $325-$350 is a good price. BUT...I don't think I'd use it as a snowy commuter. It would be a better spring to fall commuter as is and you don't need to do a thing to it.

As @bikemig said, you'd be better off starting with a cheaper old MTB. It seems a shame to wreck that one with winter commuting, plus you'd probably want different tires right away. Also, I find that canti's do a great job in normal, dry conditions but degrade quickly when wet or dealing with snow.
Old 10-18-14, 08:58 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 175 Posts
What market is an early stumpjumper with these parts selling for 200-300 in? None near me, and not eBay or the forums.

1. Is the bike worth $400 as a rider? Compare it's quality to what you'd get for $400 at your LBS. Yes. Can you find a quality MTB from later periods for less? Probably - but they don't come up THAT often, and they're going up in price too. This one is likely to be worth more than it is now as time goes on (if that matters).

2. Is this a high quality bike with high quality parts? Hands down, absolutely yes. These are wonderful bikes and this one is really set up well as a commuter. Toss on studded tires and you have a winter bike. Your odds of finding a MTB cheaper might be good, but with fenders and rack? Not so much.

3. This would sell at $400 in my market in a hot second. Partially because it is collectible - and likely to become more so..,but also because they're great bikes. Regardless, that asking price is quite reasonable, and these are hard to find in good shape. They are not going down in value either.

I'd be all over this in my area if it fit. Can you get cheaper? Sure - but these are interesting, pioneering bikes. $400 for that seems like a bargain to me.
Old 10-18-14, 08:59 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 2,707 Times in 1,261 Posts
And not all original, but has nice upgrades. These are comfortable bikes. Make her an offer...
Old 10-18-14, 09:22 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
What market is an early stumpjumper with these parts selling for 200-300 in? None near me, and not eBay or the forums.

1. Is the bike worth $400 as a rider? Compare it's quality to what you'd get for $400 at your LBS. Yes. Can you find a quality MTB from later periods for less? Probably - but they don't come up THAT often, and they're going up in price too. This one is likely to be worth more than it is now as time goes on (if that matters).

2. Is this a high quality bike with high quality parts? Hands down, absolutely yes. These are wonderful bikes and this one is really set up well as a commuter. Toss on studded tires and you have a winter bike. Your odds of finding a MTB cheaper might be good, but with fenders and rack? Not so much.

3. This would sell at $400 in my market in a hot second. Partially because it is collectible - and likely to become more so..,but also because they're great bikes. Regardless, that asking price is quite reasonable, and these are hard to find in good shape. They are not going down in value either.

I'd be all over this in my area if it fit. Can you get cheaper? Sure - but these are interesting, pioneering bikes. $400 for that seems like a bargain to me.
I don't disagree with your analysis but the OP needs to figure out whether he (or she) wants a rider or a collectible. This is priced as the latter. I like the bike and don't think the price is nutty (but it is "fully" valued); it may also be a pretty good "investment" for the long haul. I'd certainly consider buying the bike if it were available in my area and I already own 2 vintage stumpjumpers. There is clearly some movement in terms of prices for older vintage mtbs and the stumpies with biplane forks are interesting bikes.

But winters in MN really tear up bikes in which case this may not be the best bike for the OP to use. I know I wouldn't ride a vintage bike this nice in the dead of winter in IA.
Old 10-18-14, 09:34 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I do understand your point. Your argument isn't that it's not worth the asking price (it most certainly is), but that he might want a less interesting bike to tear up in winter. I use a ti frame during winter, so I am sensitive to your point...but I also think there are ways to make this ok. The parts might need to be changed out every now and again, but the frame is the star here, and the fenders and some wiping down after rides should preserve it well.

I do not agree that it's priced as a collectible at all - $400 for a practical commuter with a solid $500 of parts on it isn't the same as a rene Herse. Yes - if patient a later stumpjumper level MTB would probably come up for $200...but after tire cost, fenders, rack...it's not that significant a difference. It's also getting harder to find those deals (at least in my area). People are learning that steel MTBs make awesome commuters - and the supply is dwindling.

I don't have many riders I have less than $400 into. I can tell you that I'd be on the way with money in my hand if it were local. I like it.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-18-14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 10:25 AM
kehomer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good looking bike. I agree with @curbtender. Make her an offer. A lot of people, myself included would pay $100 for the fork alone.
Old 10-18-14, 01:46 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 2,707 Times in 1,261 Posts
Looks like it could be 8speed. On a collectable frame. Set up for local conditions. Not sold because everyone is waiting on that $150-200 bike. Many times people don't even contact on these bikes. Offer $300 and see where it goes.
Old 10-18-14, 08:31 PM
Midtown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Looks like it could be 8speed. On a collectable frame. Set up for local conditions. Not sold because everyone is waiting on that $150-200 bike. Many times people don't even contact on these bikes. Offer $300 and see where it goes.
picked it up today for $355. I think the reason it took awhile (no offense wrk101) is that the bike was located two hours south of the Twin Cities. One of the condition was for her to deliver it. Meet her 20 minutes from my home.
im happy, she cried. She was the original owner and had many good memories on it.
Old 10-18-14, 08:36 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
You'll enjoy it I am certain. Not a "smokin' deal" but a really, really cool bike.
Old 10-18-14, 09:29 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Congratulations, enjoy it!

Now @shoota won't question why I have been hoarding 3 stumpies.
Old 10-18-14, 10:19 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Congrats.

You got a great bike.

...and I don't have to see it on CL anymore.

Btw My wife loves her SJ.
Old 10-19-14, 06:33 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I think you did well. As far as your market, I don't know...but that would not have lasted at $400 here in Philly. Parted out on eBay, there's a solid 700-800 as well, so I'm amazed there wasn't more interest. Their loss, your gain. Cool bike!
Old 10-19-14, 07:39 AM
Midtown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Congrats.

You got a great bike.

...and I don't have to see it on CL anymore.

Btw My wife loves her SJ.
Thank you gomngo. I see you're in Good Ol' Saint Paul as well. What part?
Old 10-19-14, 07:43 AM
Midtown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
The more remote the seller is, the less likely the bike is to sell. I regularly deliver bikes myself as my location is not convenient either.

Convenience is all part of the marketing of a bike. Preparation, cleanliness, great pictures, good ad with meaningful information, etc. My standard line on connivence is "can deliver to Asheville at a mutually convenient time". I sell a fair number to college students who have no transportation.

Most buyers want it all: great price, ten minutes away from them or less, to be held until the weekend or when it is convenient, etc. Having imagination to work around the distance was good for you!
Thanks for the information wrk101. By-the-way, love your Facebook page. It's been many years since I have been on a bike and have gain valuable information on your FB page.
Old 10-19-14, 07:47 AM
Midtown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I think you did well. As far as your market, I don't know...but that would not have lasted at $400 here in Philly. Parted out on eBay, there's a solid 700-800 as well, so I'm amazed there wasn't more interest. Their loss, your gain. Cool bike!
Thanks Aaron, I bought it as an early birthday gift to myself. Looking forward to riding her and getting it back to a semi original bike.
Now if I can only find original pedals, shifters, brake levers, saddle, rear derailleur ...
Old 10-19-14, 07:49 AM
Midtown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Congratulations, enjoy it!

Now @shoota won't question why I have been hoarding 3 stumpies.
Thanks oddjob. Which years do you have?
Old 10-19-14, 08:23 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Shown in As Purchased Condition

1988's I think

1985 or 1986:
Old 10-19-14, 08:27 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Midtown
Thanks Aaron, I bought it as an early birthday gift to myself. Looking forward to riding her and getting it back to a semi original bike.
Now if I can only find original pedals, shifters, brake levers, saddle, rear derailleur ...
I really like it as it sits, especially if you're looking at it as a rider.
Old 10-19-14, 08:47 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by oddjob2
1988's I think

1985 or 1986:
Yep, 1988 stumpjumper comp (2d I believe from the top of the line). Here is mine:

Plus a 1991 team stumpjumper:

Old 10-19-14, 08:52 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by bikemig
Yep, 1988 stumpjumper comp (2d I believe from the top of the line). Here is mine:

Plus a 1991 team stumpjumper:

Digging the drop bar conversion!
Old 10-19-14, 06:12 PM
gomango

Thank you gomngo. I see you're in Good Ol' Saint Paul as well. What part?
Macalester-Groveland, down by the river. Well, two minutes away.

We don't have enough $$$$$ to pay for riverfront property on the boulevard.
Old 10-19-14, 07:48 PM
Midtown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Macalester-Groveland, down by the river. Well, two minutes away.

We don't have enough $$$$$ to pay for riverfront property on the boulevard.
Funny, I'm on the boulevard, but down with the riff raff. Where we have four numbers in our address.
Old 10-19-14, 09:29 PM
gomango

Funny, I'm on the boulevard, but down with the riff raff. Where we have four numbers in our address.
Still very nice though!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.