Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is replacing cones that unusual?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 04:37 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts

I have an inexpensive Shimano Deore 26" M525 Disc/Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite Wheelset that I use on my winter bike. I serviced the hubs today and noticed that the cones were a little pitted, so I stopped by the LBS to pick up some new ones. They said that there are no replacement cones for the m525, but they could order some m475 cones that might work. I asked why there are no replacement cones for the m525, and they told me that nobody services those hubs. When they go bad, people just replace the whole wheel because the rim usually wears through before the cones go bad. They also told me that I am their only customer who services his own hubs. Does that whole thing seem a little odd to anyone else?
Old 10-19-14, 04:56 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've had pitted cones too. On one occasion, I was getting ready to dig through my parts bucket for a spare, when I noticed a crack in the hub.

If I understand how cone bearings work, they should be relatively forgiving of slight differences in the dimensions of the races, so I'd guess that if the new cone looks OK by eyeball, it will probably work in the wheel. This is something that could be harvested from a junked wheel if you ever come across one.
Old 10-19-14, 05:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6006 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,630 Posts
It would have been surprising 20-30 years ago in the USA, but we've moved from a fixit to a replace-it era. It's kind of ironic when the world is becoming focused on recycling and the environment, but that's the way it is.

Cone replacement used to be fairly common years ago because hubs used to see outlandish mileage, with maybe 3-4 or more rims laced on them over their service life. However, nowadays few people lace new rims onto hubs (people here on BF notwithstanding), especially lower tier hubs.

The other thing to consider is that most manufacturers, along with many dealers have gutted their service parts programs. It seems that service is just to inconvenient, and not a revenue generator.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-19-14, 06:34 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have M525s and they are good after about 8 years of casual use.

The way you tighten the skewers is important. Too tight or too loose can both ruin cones. The quick release skewer compresses the axle a little bit and moves the cones closer to each other.

On a quick release axle the cones are normally left a bit looser than to have firm contact with the bearing balls because proper tightening of the quick release will take away the clearance in the cones by compressing the axle. The cones should have a bit of preload with the quick release closed but too much will ruin the cones.

There should be several threads on cone adjustment and skewer adjustment. I have posted what I think to be the best method before. There's also parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com. Or, you could let the shop do it then follow their instructions on skewer adjustment carefully.

Last edited by garage sale GT; 10-19-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 08:08 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I have an inexpensive Shimano Deore 26" M525 Disc/Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite Wheelset that I use on my winter bike. I serviced the hubs today and noticed that the cones were a little pitted, so I stopped by the LBS to pick up some new ones. They said that there are no replacement cones for the m525, but they could order some m475 cones that might work. I asked why there are no replacement cones for the m525, and they told me that nobody services those hubs. When they go bad, people just replace the whole wheel because the rim usually wears through before the cones go bad. They also told me that I am their only customer who services his own hubs. Does that whole thing seem a little odd to anyone else?
M525 hubs are about the most common MTB hubs on the planet. The rears use standard 1/4" balls, 10mm axles, and relatively standard cones. These hubs are also about as good as anyone needs, and if properly maintained, will provide a lifetime of reliable service.

Download the schematics for these hubs from the Shimano website. Buy the parts online. The cones will cost about $6 each. Get new balls while you're at it. Bags 100 front and 100 rear balls will cost about $10.

Or look at the back of your shop. They have a pile of wrecked MTB wheels (rim failures) from which the cones can be scavenged.

All of this is bike maintenance 101.
Old 10-19-14, 08:42 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
M525 hubs are about the most common MTB hubs on the planet. The rears use standard 1/4" balls, 10mm axles, and relatively standard cones. These hubs are also about as good as anyone needs, and if properly maintained, will provide a lifetime of reliable service.

Download the schematics for these hubs from the Shimano website. Buy the parts online. The cones will cost about $6 each. Get new balls while you're at it. Bags 100 front and 100 rear balls will cost about $10.

Or look at the back of your shop. They have a pile of wrecked MTB wheels (rim failures) from which the cones can be scavenged.

All of this is bike maintenance 101.
That's exactly why I thought it was weird that the guys at the shop apparently had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for some replacement cones for a very common hub. They told me that they have literally never had a customer ask for replacement cones before. They ordered the m475 cones for me. All four were twelve bucks, and I presume they will work. I have been known to re-use headset bearings, but never a hub bearing.
Old 10-20-14, 01:07 AM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Maybe because it is your area? I had to go to several bike shops, but I was able to find cones for two Formula hubs. I got the impression it's pretty rare someone like me comes around looking for stuff like that though becasue it took a while for them to find matching cones.
Old 10-20-14, 04:37 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe the part is too cheap for you bike shop to want to bother?
Old 10-20-14, 07:27 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Bikeman Shimano Alivio 105 Deore Right Rear Hub Cone
Bikeman Shimano STX,DEORE,Alivio Left Rear Hub Cone with Dust Cap
Old 10-20-14, 08:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Very helpful. Thanks for tracking that down. Hopefully these are the same parts the shop ordered for me.
Old 10-20-14, 08:22 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 908 Posts
IF they ordered parts for a 475, they are different than a 525.

Go to the Wheels Manufacturing website.

Front CN-RO52
Rear CN-RO60 & CN-RO63

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 10-20-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 11:41 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
IF they ordered parts for a 475, they are different than a 525.

Go to the Wheels Manufacturing website.

Front CN-RO52
Rear CN-RO60 & CN-RO63
I see from the picture now that the 475 won't work. I can't find the CN-R052 on the Wheels Manufacturing website and I can't find any cones for the front hub on bikeman. Does nobody service the hubs because the parts are too hard to get or are the parts too hard to get because nobody services the hubs?
Old 10-20-14, 11:44 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 6006 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,630 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
..... Does nobody service the hubs because the parts are too hard to get or are the parts too hard to get because nobody services the hubs?
I'll tell you after you tell me which came first -- chicken or egg.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-20-14, 11:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Well the dinosaur came before the chicken and they laid eggs ..
Old 10-20-14, 01:37 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 908 Posts
Shimano/QBP numbers

Model # Drive QBP Non-Drive QBP
FH-M525 Y3AE03000 HU3818 & Y3AE98030 HU3266

HB-M525 Y21L98020 HU3146
Old 10-20-14, 02:05 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Shimano/QBP numbers

Model # Drive QBP Non-Drive QBP
FH-M525 Y3AE03000 HU3818 & Y3AE98030 HU3266

HB-M525 Y21L98020 HU3146
That's awesome, Bill. Thank you so much for looking those up for me.
Looks like I won't have to get a new wheelset now. My wife will be so disappointed.
Old 10-20-14, 08:23 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I took these part numbers to the shop today and they still couldn't track down the cones for the front hub after a half hour of searching. They are going to call Shimano for me tomorrow. I feel kind of bad wasting so much of their time trying to track down such an inexpensive part, but they have been super helpful.
Old 10-21-14, 07:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6296 Post(s)
Liked 4,333 Times in 2,429 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Cone replacement used to be fairly common years ago because hubs used to see outlandish mileage, with maybe 3-4 or more rims laced on them over their service life.
I agree with most everything you said except this point. I don't think people were putting in any more mileage than they are today. Some may have been but the general population was using their bikes about as much as we use them today. The difference is in hub construction and design. Hubs from the 80s and early 90s had appalling sealing mechanisms. Most hubs had "dust seals" which had large enough gaps to let boulders into the hubs which ground up the cones. By the mid 90s, mountain bike people were clamoring for something better and manufacturers came up with better sealing methods. The lowest end Shimano hub today has better seals than the top end Shimano hub of 1994.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-21-14, 07:52 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts
We live in a disposable society, the bicycle industry is particularly bad and downright wasteful.
Old 10-21-14, 08:05 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Hubs from the 80s and early 90s had appalling sealing mechanisms. Most hubs had "dust seals" which had large enough gaps to let boulders into the hubs which ground up the cones. By the mid 90s, mountain bike people were clamoring for something better and manufacturers came up with better sealing methods. The lowest end Shimano hub today has better seals than the top end Shimano hub of 1994.
I still have Campagnolo Record hubs from the 70s that run as smoothly as any modern sealed hub. And I go several years between overhauls.
Old 10-22-14, 07:49 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I still have Campagnolo Record hubs from the 70s that run as smoothly as any modern sealed hub. And I go several years between overhauls.
Special case. Campagnolo used harder steels for their cones and closer tolerances. Their seals were about the same as others of the era, however...i.e. nonexistent.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-22-14, 07:53 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I'll tell you after you tell me which came first -- chicken or egg.
That one's easy - because a non-chicken can lay an egg whose chromosomes have mutated sufficiently to create a chicken, the (chicken) egg came first. Your turn.
Old 10-22-14, 07:58 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Cone replacement was easier back in the 70's because most cones were very simple - no labyrinth or other seals mounted on them, and there were only a few models by a few manufacturers on most bikes. Now Shimano alone has multiple hub styles and there are many more hub brands besides, plus the differences brought about by different sealing strategies and cassette hubs.
Old 10-22-14, 02:33 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Special case. Campagnolo used harder steels for their cones and closer tolerances. Their seals were about the same as others of the era, however...i.e. nonexistent.
I have to disagree with your assessment of their seals as well. They were closely matched to the axle, and the dustcaps had an extended flange creating a long, narrow channel to inhibit debris penetration. And you could add oil through the oil port to flush debris out of the channel on a regular basis. The pedals and bottom brackets had rifling that was designed to move debris out with normal pedaling action. All in all, they were quite well designed and have held up better than cheap cartridge bearings in my experience.
Old 10-22-14, 04:32 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Cone replacement was easier back in the 70's because most cones were very simple - no labyrinth or other seals mounted on them, and there were only a few models by a few manufacturers on most bikes. Now Shimano alone has multiple hub styles and there are many more hub brands besides, plus the differences brought about by different sealing strategies and cassette hubs.
You paid the price for that simplicity, however. And the price was more cone replacement. The labyrinth seals of modern cup and cone hubs makes replacing the cones far less common because they don't get contaminated. I'd much rather have the labyrinth seals.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I have to disagree with your assessment of their seals as well. They were closely matched to the axle, and the dustcaps had an extended flange creating a long, narrow channel to inhibit debris penetration. And you could add oil through the oil port to flush debris out of the channel on a regular basis. The pedals and bottom brackets had rifling that was designed to move debris out with normal pedaling action. All in all, they were quite well designed and have held up better than cheap cartridge bearings in my experience.
No doubt they were a better design but they still didn't seal like new hubs do.

We aren't, by the way, talking about cartridge bearing hubs here. I've never found a hub with a cartridge bearing to be "cheap", until, maybe, recently. They have always been at the high end of the price spectrum in my experience. A Phil Wood FSC hub rivals just about anything in terms of price and durability that Campy ever made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.