Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bathroom break before commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 07:52 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts

Just curious if anyone else has this 'problem' with having to use the bathroom (#2) before the ride home. Usually in the morning it's a given for most people to do their business before heading out. But I find I have to do the same thing prior to leaving work. The sensation hits me after I'm already almost in full gear, usually when I'm putting on my shoes. Then it's like, f$$@, I gotta walk all the way to the bathroom in the other side of the building. I don't know if it's the anxiety or excitement of the ride I have ahead of me, but it almost never fails.

This never happens when I drive to work. Go figure.
Old 11-06-14, 07:54 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's your body's reaction to the upcoming exercise. For me, it's not nearly as bad on the bike as it is when I go running. Running... jostles things up in there.
Old 11-06-14, 08:14 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Running... jostles things up in there.
Ouch! Flashbacks of forced runs in boot camp. 7 miles across the golf course and back. And one sad runner came back without his underpants...that runner was me
Old 11-06-14, 08:25 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 1,077 Posts
Got people spending big bucks shaving grams off of their bikes with Titanium and other exotic materials...

Least we forget the cheapest way to lighten our load...
Old 11-06-14, 08:41 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh TMI
Old 11-06-14, 09:35 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
I generally change clothes before the ride home in a bathroom. End of personal info-sharing.
Old 11-07-14, 01:44 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I never understood people pooping on a schedule. That blows my friggin' mind, LOL. (Better than blowing my colon, I suppose). When I used to smoke pot, I could count on the urge, but otherwise it's a totally random, chaotic event.
Old 11-07-14, 04:11 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I pee all day anyway. Every couple hours anyway. And before I go ride.
Old 11-07-14, 07:03 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by eastbay71
Ouch! Flashbacks of forced runs in boot camp. 7 miles across the golf course and back. And one sad runner came back without his underpants...that runner was me
Poor golf course!
Old 11-07-14, 07:12 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I go before leaving home, but don't have the same issue before leaving work.
Old 11-07-14, 07:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Back in 2008 was a thread on this subject, Missed my commute... . I remember it because it contained just about the funniest post I have read on Bike Forums:

Originally Posted by macteacher
Title says it all...it's a bummer. I have to leave by 7am to arrive in a timely fashion.

1. The morning toilet run arrived late. Just couldn't get the Enola Gay off the tarmac.. From 6:30-7, I kept waiting....but nothing... She finally took off around 7:15

2. At 7:00, I said screw it...I can still make it...i'll hit the toilet at the office.... then i noticed all the bike shorts were in the wash.....

ah well..it's cold outside anyways.... If I had left at 7:10 (10 min to get ready) I may have been caught off guard around the 7:15 mark by an unexpected bombing run...I hate when the body looses its 'regularity' I'm not a coffee drinker, so I can't use that either....

anyhow...this is something we all deal with...but rarely is spoken off...lol

Hopefully tomorrow all systems will be a go for a regular take off!!!!

Originally Posted by trekker pete
I mentioned this topic the other day in my thread about getting motivated in the morning. There have been more than a few days where I have my gear on, ready to taxi out the door and all of a sudden.....damn it.

By the time I'm done, the launch window has past. Commute aborted. Where are those damn car keys.

The worst case is when you just know the bomb bays are full, but you just can't [get] the doors to open. So you have to sit around the hangar and wait.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-07-14 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 08:56 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I don't have IBS but I occasionally have problems if my diet changes so I don't have breakfast before I go because that seems to speed things up. I also add Benefibre to my morning protein shake (prepared and drunk at work soon after I get to my cube) which seems to help too.

On a side note, I was thinking about bike touring last night when I remembered that, for the last year or two, I get up in the middle of the night for a P, I need to consider that when I find a place to setup camp.

Last edited by jrickards; 11-07-14 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 09:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7391 Post(s)
Liked 2,551 Times in 1,485 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
I never understood people pooping on a schedule. That blows my friggin' mind, LOL. (Better than blowing my colon, I suppose). When I used to smoke pot, I could count on the urge, but otherwise it's a totally random, chaotic event.
You can train your body to go on a schedule. And if if your body is already on a schedule but you don't like it, you can change it, with a little effort.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-14, 09:47 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Just curious if anyone else has this 'problem' with having to use the bathroom (#2) before the ride home. Usually in the morning it's a given for most people to do their business before heading out. But I find I have to do the same thing prior to leaving work. The sensation hits me after I'm already almost in full gear, usually when I'm putting on my shoes. Then it's like, f$$@, I gotta walk all the way to the bathroom in the other side of the building. I don't know if it's the anxiety or excitement of the ride I have ahead of me, but it almost never fails.

This never happens when I drive to work. Go figure.
OMG this happens to me all the time!!! And it sucks because I'm trying to get out the door so I'm not real late getting home, or these days so I have as much daylight left as possible. Yesterday luckily I was able "lighten the load" about an hour before I left.

Originally Posted by noglider
You can train your body to go on a schedule. And if if your body is already on a schedule but you don't like it, you can change it, with a little effort.
I'm on the schedule of going in the morning. Every single day, without fail. But sometimes I get the urge while at work, sometimes not. Sometimes I do when I bike commute or drive, but it only happens just before leaving if I brought the bike. Then sometimes again before going to bed, but sometimes not. It's weird. Morning is the only definite time every single day.
Old 11-07-14, 10:16 AM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
try eating less fiber. I hear the atkins diet might be a good start.
Old 11-07-14, 10:25 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ok, i gotta say, this thread made me belly laugh fully out loud.

Second...... i will say that i've learned to get the ride in first. I used to be a tour guide in NYC and lets just say one time i had some "less than ideal food". By the time the "less than ideal food" was causing a "less than ideal GI situation", i had to go from grand centra main concoursel, to the 7 train, to the 1 train, to the NJT train, to SEPTA (trenton to levittown), then a ride 25 minutes home from there. It felt like that 3 hour trip lasted 4 days. If i could stave off the results of the "less than ideal GI situation", then you'd figure correctly that a 10 minute ride to a known clean working bathroom is nothing. I have no alternative, i have to use the bike. I think 90% of the "less than ideal GI situations" is mental, so just block it out mentally.

If it's too cold to ride and i stupidly dressed wrong for trip back once i'm out, then i do suffer all the way home, and guess what, i just block most of it out. Thankfully with the iPhone i'm rarely caught like that anymore.

- Andy
Old 11-07-14, 11:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7391 Post(s)
Liked 2,551 Times in 1,485 Posts
Plan ahead and use the toilet pre-emptively. Honestly, it's possible. Don't wait for the urge.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-14, 11:57 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It happens to me sometimes. It's definitely the anxiety because it happens before other situations too.
Old 11-07-14, 11:58 AM
Hyperbole

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chug a glass of water 30 min - hour before your commute. Always gets the guts moving for me.
Old 11-07-14, 01:22 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I thought I saved it, but can't find it. Awhile back I saw a photo of the Dos Equis guy with the text "I don't always have to poop, but when I do, it's right after I put my bibs and jersey on."
Old 11-07-14, 01:43 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah my life story. I am as regular as the German train system. Usually two in the morning, occasionally one before I go home.

I eat a lot of dried fruit so that keeps me regular.

The most bizarre thing I experience is the urge whenever I cook my oatmeal. Put my oats on to boil my body puts my bowels on to boil.
Old 11-07-14, 02:06 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds as though you want to prevent needing to P on the way home? I just pull over and P without dismounting. Quick and easy. I used to worry that somebody would see me. Either they don't, or they don't care. It helps that I have a big handlebar bag that's in the line of sight for cars approaching head-on. Ping freely is how I cope with having an enlarged prostate. If I'm outdoors I can find a spot almost anywhere.
Old 11-07-14, 03:23 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Walter S
It sounds as though you want to prevent needing to P on the way home? I just pull over and P without dismounting. Quick and easy. I used to worry that somebody would see me. Either they don't, or they don't care. It helps that I have a big handlebar bag that's in the line of sight for cars approaching head-on. Ping freely is how I cope with having an enlarged prostate. If I'm outdoors I can find a spot almost anywhere.
I've done this! It actually impressed a buddy of mine one time when we were on a ride together. He thought I was just standing there reading a road sign. When I came back he said, " I thought you had to pee?".

"Just did!".
Old 11-07-14, 03:25 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
OMG this happens to me all the time!!! And it sucks because I'm trying to get out the door so I'm not real late getting home, or these days so I have as much daylight left as possible. Yesterday luckily I was able "lighten the load" about an hour before I left..
All right. I can rest easy now that I know I"m not the only one! For me the 'urge' only comes when I'm about to put on my cleats. Hmm. Wonder if I can ride barefoot.
Old 11-07-14, 03:40 PM
illdoittomorrow
Beer and nachos today!

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton, Schwinn Prelude SS, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71
Golfers, avoid replacing the steaming divot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.