Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bus driver road rage on my commute.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bus driver road rage on my commute.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 01:04 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Just another camera-wearing commuter looking for a confrontation, IMHO.
Traffic statutes allow cyclists to move into the left-lane to set up a left turn. Your opinion is (legally) irrelevant.
Old 11-14-14, 01:08 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Perhaps the bus driver was observing some basic rules of the road?
Complaining about others being ignorant of the basic rules of the road while being ignorant of the basic rules of the road.

bwahahahahaha!

ORS 814.430 - Improper use of lanes - 2013 Oregon Revised Statutes

A person is not in violation of the offense under this section if the person is not operating a bicycle as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway under any of the following circumstances:
(b) When preparing to execute a left turn.
Just about every state has this exception.
Old 11-14-14, 01:25 PM
alan s 

Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Traffic statutes allow cyclists to move into the left-lane to set up a left turn. Your opinion is (legally) irrelevant.
Common sense and common courtesy trump irrelevant traffic statutes.
Old 11-14-14, 01:29 PM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my shoulder check as seen in the video at 0:08
Attached Images

Last edited by Isaiahc72; 11-14-14 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 01:30 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Common sense and common courtesy trump irrelevant traffic statutes.
Yeah...for sure:

*Be polite!
*Always smile!
*Share the lane!
*Don’t dress funny!
*Physics always wins!
*They only honk or buzz you because you scared them!
*Have some empathy for the inconvenience you are causing!
Old 11-14-14, 01:51 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Complaining about others being ignorant of the basic rules of the road while being ignorant of the basic rules of the road.
I was explaining why the bus driver was not passing on the right. Try reading again:

If I was that far back in the left lane, couldn't the bus driver have passed me in the other lane?
Do you think the bus should pass on the right? Especially if he was going to also turn left?
Based on the video, which is probably not enough to base an opinion on, I think he was in the left lane earlier than necessary, especially since he is by far the slower vehicle. Do you agree?
Old 11-14-14, 01:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,600 Times in 1,593 Posts
Originally Posted by Isaiahc72
Is this ridiculous or what? It was recorded on my commute this afternoon. Note: I was in the left lane because I was planning on making a left turn as seen in the video.
In my commute, there are a couple of stretches where I need to get over to the left ASAP as well, or risk losing my window to do it before the turn. When I do, I basically ride on the centerline to indicate it and let traffic go by, basically creating a very narrow turn lane. Legal/LAB-approved or not, it's what seems to work best.

As far as your video is concerned, I think the bus driver was annoyed because he didn't know what your intentions were. Did you signal a left turn to indicate why you were in that lane as opposed to the slower lane?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-14-14, 02:03 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I was explaining why the bus driver was not passing on the right. Try reading again:
Completely missed the context. Apologies.

I think he was in the left lane earlier than necessary, especially since he is by far the slower vehicle. Do you agree?
I disagree.
IMO, slower moving cyclists often need to make a move towards the left earlier than faster moving vehicles. I will *always* put my personal safety above the convenience of a fellow road user. Therefore, I have absolutely no issue with causing traffic to slow for a minute or two if it allows me to make what I *perceive* to be a safer turn.
Old 11-14-14, 02:09 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Isaiahc72
If I was that far back in the left lane, couldn't the bus driver have passed me in the other lane? You probably can't see it in the video but the bus driver was initially in the right lane before merging into the left lane behind me.
Seriously? Do you really think that a school bus, (likely full of kids) should have to move from the lane he's turning from, and into the right lane to have to go around a cyclist that has much better visibility and is much more nimble than a bus is?
Old 11-14-14, 02:13 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Completely missed the context. Apologies.

I disagree.
IMO, slower moving cyclists often need to make a move towards the left earlier than faster moving vehicles. I will *always* put my personal safety above the convenience of a fellow road user. Therefore, I have absolutely no issue with causing traffic to slow for a minute or two if it allows me to make what I *perceive* to be a safer turn.
No worries. Like I said, it's not really fair to judge from just the video. It looked to be very little traffic to me - just the bus. In that case I would stay FRAP while being conscious of what is behind me and judge when to get over based on that. I probably would have ended up behind the bus either turning after him or pulled up even with him in the left part of the right turn lane. Then I would turn with the bus starting off slow enough to prevent getting squeezed out between bus and curb.

But to each his own riding style. The OP survived and learned that some on this forum disagree with him being in the left lane that early.
Old 11-14-14, 02:19 PM
Isaiahc72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Route 66
Seriously? Do you really think that a school bus, (likely full of kids) should have to move from the lane he's turning from, and into the right lane to have to go around a cyclist that has much better visibility and is much more nimble than a bus is?
Look and see. He/she was in the right lane already from the beginning before merging into the left lane behind me.
Attached Images
Old 11-14-14, 02:43 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I disagree.
OK, but when circumstances such as what's shown in the video allow one to not inconvenience another road user without any negative impact or inconvenience to ones self, then why not do so?

I don't see the advantage of creating pointless conflict, whether I'm on the road as a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, or trucker, I still consider myself just another road user the same as everyone else. Every user and user group has their own unique set of wants, needs, limitations, and abilities, it just makes sense to put forward a reasonable effort to be cooperative with others for everyone's mutual benefit.
Old 11-14-14, 03:38 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yes but how long is too long to "set up" for that left turn?

If traffic is generally clear on a multi-lane road, when I'm in my car, I typically drive in the right lane until a short distance before my left turn, at which point I move to the left lane, and then move to the left turn lane if there is one.

My wife, on the other hand, while drive for MILES in the left lane, just because her next turn is a left turn, which might be 3 or 4 miles away. She has this fear of changing lanes, making huge head turns before changing lanes, and she always gets nervous when doing so. And she doesn't drive fast, so faster traffic passes her on the right. Do you think that's courteous? I sure don't. It bugs the hell out of me when I ride with her.
Old 11-14-14, 04:32 PM
Isaiahc72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still don't see how anyone could really justify the driver's actions.
Old 11-14-14, 07:23 PM
jacobinchina

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two honks?!? Who cares? I don't think you did anything wrong and I don't think the bus driver did anything wrong.
Old 11-14-14, 08:10 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jacobinchina
Two honks?!? Who cares?
just lie back and think of england...
Old 11-14-14, 08:21 PM
jacobinchina

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just lie back and think of england...
Well, let's not go to extremes. In some places, honking is a big deal; in others, it happens all the time. If you're not used to honking or being honked at, then it can seem aggressive. However, both where I grew up (NOLA) and in China honking is normal, so I don't care.

As long as cars aren't driving dangerously, i.e. tailgating super close, cutting a cyclist off, or trying to squeeze a cyclist off the road/into parked cars, then I could not care less if they honk or slam on the gas when they pass me.

Last edited by jacobinchina; 11-14-14 at 08:22 PM. Reason: just to clarify that I grew up in the States
Old 11-14-14, 08:49 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 559 Times in 373 Posts
Please forgive my suspicious and contrary nature, but I believe school buses run on fairly tight and regular schedules, at least around here. The OP is commuting on what I would assume to be a fairly regular schedule, is it possible that the bus driver has previously had interaction with the OP's commuting habits, possibly at the same intersection?
Old 11-14-14, 09:04 PM
Isaiahc72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Please forgive my suspicious and contrary nature, but I believe school buses run on fairly tight and regular schedules, at least around here. The OP is commuting on what I would assume to be a fairly regular schedule, is it possible that the bus driver has previously had interaction with the OP's commuting habits, possibly at the same intersection?
It is very possible that this driver has come across me multiple other times. But usually a bit closer to the intersection.
Old 11-14-14, 09:16 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 559 Times in 373 Posts
I believe honking your horn at all here in IN is illegal except in an emergency, of course no enforcement, I only honk at geese or farm animals - never a human.
Old 11-14-14, 09:39 PM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These threads fascinate me.

From my perspective the cyclist with the camera usually either goes out of his/her way to encourage conflict or takes great umbrage over a non-issue. (in this case we're all in the vapors because a vehicle honked). I expect universal condemnation, since in my opinion the film leaves no doubt .... and yet..... several people side with the, in my humble opinion, entitled cyclist. Sort of enlightens me to other ways of thinking........ sort of has me second guessing what I "know" to be right....sort of scares me as to where the world is headed..

The number of people siding with the guy who wasn't courteous enough to pass behind the pedestrian in another recent thread blew my mind.

edit - to OP - next time just stick your left arm out to signal a turn. (your shadow is visible through most of the video and if you did signal it's not apparent - drivers can't read your mind - if they know your intentions they're usually pretty chill)

Last edited by bubbagrannygear; 11-14-14 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 09:42 PM
onfloat
witty remark goes here

Bikes: '95 Balance AL550, 2013 Volagi Viajé

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you needed to be in the left lane at all. You were coming up to a stop sign, at which point you could move over a bit to turn left. Let the faster motorized vehicles pass you. Just another camera-wearing commuter looking for a confrontation, IMHO.
+1 even the honking doesn't really qualify as "Road Rage" maybe mild annoyance, but he didn't seem aggressive in the video and even gave you room as he passed.
Old 11-14-14, 11:27 PM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I can be quite a hole about taking the lane but when I saw the video my initial reaction was why on earth is this guy in the left lane for so long. Why encourage conflict? You seriously filed a complaint after this? Why anger every bus driver in the area when this guy says that after giving you ample room when he passed, you sent in a complaint?

You are massively slower and less horsepower than he is. You're a kin to people toodling along in the left lane on Interstates and not allowing the long line of people behind you to pass. You didn't need to be in the left lane. Don't get over there until you need to. Let others use it until you need it.
Old 11-14-14, 11:28 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Please forgive my suspicious and contrary nature
car head.
Old 11-14-14, 11:30 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
You are massively slower and less horsepower than he is.
car head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.